Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.2

4.3/5  rDev +57.5%

At $10.99/30 pack, it's definitely best beer for your money. I live around a lot of beer snobs who only drink micros but I honestly think this tastes better. Real smooth taste either ice cold or warm. Not too much of a head. Not too bitter. Not too sweet. Perfect beer. Smell that brings back memories of old of my old man n his friends playing horseshoes. Perfect beer for those people who wanna drink a beer while hanging out in garage with neighbors or playing horseshoes with neighbors. Isn't that what drinking beer is supposed to be about? Top grade homeowners beer. Can drink a quality beer and still afford your mortgage.

4.26/5  rDev +56%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Alright, I'm going to rate this in style. If you try and compare this to craft beer, you're going to rate it horribly. With that said, it's creamy, light, refreshing, and goes down easy. This is what my grandfather drank almost exclusively, and for good reason. Saw it on the shelf at my local supermarket and figured I might as well try it, it has replaced Rainer as my go to AAL. I could see myself sucking these down on a hot day, plus the price can't be beat.

To the people who rated this below a 3. Come on now, it's AAL not Pulling Nails, and no, I don't care you've had Scooop.

4.25/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours that typical crystal clear golden color we all are (or should be) familiar with. A good looking adjunct lager with a fluffy head. More aroma than your standard adjunct lager with a nice herbal/grassy hop hint. Flavor is also more pronounced than most adjunct lagers; cooked corn and rice but this has a bit more malted barley sweetness and finishes with a hint of bitterness. Dry finish. This is easily one of the better adjunct lagers I have had the pleasure of trying. This beer dispels the theory that all of Pabst's retro brands (Olympia, rainier, stroh's, etc) are all the same beer with different labels. Scored according to style, this is one to get if you are looking for a cheap, refreshing beer.

4.21/5  rDev +54.2%

16 oz. can poured into pilsener
(May 29, 2017 best-by date)

L: clear pale yellow, hint of gold, pushes up big thick head of white foam, over an inch tall and super sticky; good activity keep a constant collar of white foam and a piece of skin; laces a lot ... as pretty as they get

S: sweet peach, cracker malt; slight hint of house paint

T: fruity peach, slight earthy bitter bite, not quite medicinal but close, lingering bread dough sweet finish; hints of house paint

F: fantastic if you love carbonation; a strong pour takes a bit of that out and softens it, though it's still light and crispy

O: can't beat it for the price, and the amount of peach flavor is surprising; one of the sweetest AALs I've run into; they definitely put some barley in this thing

4.2/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I love the taste. Far better than many American beers. Refreshing taste.

4.2/5  rDev +53.8%

Great Macro swill, for the price its got all you could expect and more. My favorite style is American Classic Macro and this is one of the best along side Schmidts, Oly, and the new Schlitz. Hamms served at 32 degrees is as good as it gets for drinkability.

4.17/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer drinker's beer. A great no nonsense beer that is the perfect beverage in a pinch. Instead of drinking all those "lite" beers, go with this one. This is the Ron Swanson of cheap beers.

4.15/5  rDev +52%

All things considered, Hamm's is a great value adjunct lager coming in at $13.99 for a 30 rack. It's a great working man's beer. I am definitely biased, but Hamm's hits the spot!

4.14/5  rDev +51.6%

If my above score seems high it's simply because I'm only rating this against other AALs, it wouldn't stack up too well against most craft lagers. This however, I believe is the pinnacle of the AAL style. The appearance is fairly typical but I did notice that it had a very nice and creamy, maybe two finger head that stayed for basically the entire glass (around half an hour) and the aroma, compared to say Budweiser was very pleasant. You get the corn sweetness but it wasn't overbearing and non of that skunky-alcohol notes that I always seemed to get with other beers in the style. The flavor profile follows the nose pretty closely, it's not going to blow your mind but it's very pleasant and very drinkable. I think the drinkability is in large part due to the fantastic mouthfeel. Fairly full and creamy, not watery at all. All in all, a solid beer and what I would consider the best in its class. Also, the fact that I can pick up a 24 pack for 12.99 doesn't hurt.

4.1/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Ok so its not the most popular brand. Its very possible to grab a six pack that has been sitting on a store shelf too long, be warned beer lovers. That said, American dopes enjoy coors and Budweiser, the same guys also probably voted for lil donny dump so there you go! If you want to waste your money I wont stand in your way... Hamm's is #1 for taste and VALUE! I enjoy many micro brews but Hamm's is my go to beer to hit the trail on my dirtbike or hang with the boys! Great beer, great buzz. Coors fans choke yourself

4.1/5  rDev +50.2%

Never even heard about hamm's til I went to a really cheap bar by my house with one of my friends...he told me I had to get it

The bar was sooo cheap that u could get a pint of hamm's for $.99, a 36 oz mug for $2.75, or a pitcher for $4.00, I can't pass that up.

A - It looks a little darker to me than most American Lagers, extra points for that, typical white head that disappears quick

S - It smells like a regular American Lager, not that strong, but there. somewhat sweet, but nothing really popping out.

T - It tastes different for the style, real different, I swear I can almost tastes a hint of ham, or cheese, cuz its brewed in wisconsin...but seriously, a very good and distinctive taste that sets it apart from the rest.

M - Real clean and smooth going down, not bad at all, normal on the carbonation

O - Just a real good and cheap beer, i highly recommend it, I just don't know where u would find this, I haven't heard of this until a few weeks ago....u will probably never find something that tastes like this.

4.1/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hadn't seen a can of Hamm's since my two tours to Korea, 76-77 and 79-82. I could usually be spotted with a case over my shoulder a couple of times a week boarding the kimchi bus for home downtown in the ville. Anything was better than the local Crown or OB. I think I paid about $5 a case back then. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a case in the beer cooler at Walmart today, in, of all places, Thomaston, Maine! I gotta buy me one of these! Ended up paying around $13 bucks, inflation I guess.
Got home and cracked open a can, pouring it into a pilsner glass. Looks good, has a head even. Cautiously I take a sip, taking myself back to my humble abode down the road from the rubber glove factory, with fish drying racks on the hill behind and across the road from a rice paddy (can't say I miss those combined smells ! ). Damn this is pretty good beer! Better than I remember. Taste, smoothness and drinkability easily beats most American AAL's.

4.07/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Never seen these before in Maryland but found them in a 7-11 in Ocean City for $4.99 a sixer so for the novelty, it was a must buy. Appearance is pretty awesome for a cheap AAL. 2-3 finger head nice retention and typical pilsner golden clear color body. Smell isn't much to be desired, but the taste is incredibly smooth and easy to drink with none of those "off" flavors you get in many AALs. Got to say this one may be high on my AAL list, bypassing some others I've usually been high on.

4.04/5  rDev +48%

(I'm rating this with the style and price in mind, so the high rating is relative)

This is on par with PBR as the best AAL I've ever had. Super cheap and highly drinkable, this is a great beer to add some diversity to the fridge without spending too much. A really solid brew overall. Beats Budweiser, MGD and Coors any day.

4.04/5  rDev +48%

4.03/5  rDev +47.6%

Appearance: Pours an absolutely clear, very delicate yellow body with a steadily receding, head of white, wholesome suds. Light lacing.

Smell: The faint aroma carries with it the merest hints of sweet-smelling grain.

Taste: Sweetish, cereal maltiness with what seems like touches of rice and corn. Not entirely without a little flourish of hops and bitterness, albeit low. Finishes drying and nicely crisp, clean.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation, giving it a nice bit of zip to it.

Overall: Huh. You know, it wasn't at all what I thought it'd be (i.e., BLEAGH). In fact, it's not all that bad, particularly for the price.

4.01/5  rDev +46.9%

Poured from a 16 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear straw color with a small white head. The aroma is mild grains. The taste when judged as an AAL is very good.

Hamm's brewed by Hamm's Brewing Co., With an ABV of 4.60% This American Adjunct Lager pours out a nice golden amber color with a small white head. There is some nice spotty lacing to this brew. The smell of Hamm's is rich with grains and malts, and a slight sweetness. You also pick up on small amount of hops in the smell of this brew. Hamm's has the look and the smell of most American Adjunct Lagers on the market, not saying that is a bad thing. Now for the taste, it is rich with grains and malts. This is a nice smooth drinking brew, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. Hamm's has a real nice balance to it. I like how smooth this brew goes down. This is one nice clean smooth brew. It is to be expected because of the style of brew. This is a brew that I have been waiting to try for a while now, and it is a decent American Adjunct Lagers. I a fan of this types of brews. The body of Hamm's is a soild medium. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would definitely look this brew up again givin the chance to. Hamm's Brewing Co., Did a real nice job with this brew.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.