Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.96/5  rDev +38.9%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer.

3.94/5  rDev +38.2%

This is a good tasting beer for the price. $6.00 plus tax for a 12 pack, best budget beer in my opinion

3.94/5  rDev +38.2%

look...I love craft beer but I'm sick of every microbrewery trying to do a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, and a Hefeweizen. Some branch out to triples or quads but they all run together. I still love my craft beer but on most nights, I just want a few freaking beers that I don't have to think about or pay a lot for. Hamms is probably the best of the bunch. I pay $12 for a 30 pack. Bud or Miller Lite would be twice that. I love livin' the high life but its $8 for a 12 pack of bottles in my area so Hamms is a great alternative. Good tasting, old fashioned beer, cheap, and refreshing. Besides that the can has a definite old-school ambiance.

Drink some and enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Hands down ine of my favorite classic American lagers...easy on the wallet but doesnt taste cheap, at $2.99 for a 6 pack of pints ($9.99 for a case), it is crisp and full, never skunky and is just a great beer...it has taken the place of my daily Budweiser or Pabst

3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

Dim sun yellow. Thick and frothy white head. Great retention and some apeasing lace is left as well. Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Not off putting by any means. Very agreeable taste. Mild malts. Sweet wort like graininess. A touch of hop dryness...I think. Body is heft for a macro. I'd call it medium to medium-full. One of the better macros I've had in a long time.

3.86/5  rDev +35.4%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

3.85/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For the standard weekend beer drinker/tailgater/griller/warm-blooded human etc. like 99% of us (i.e. not a pretentious beer snob or hobby brewer) this is a no brainer. Got the refreshing taste, look, and feel of a light American pilsner (i.e. Miller lite) but at nearly 5% ABV it'll keep you in your chair feeling kozy. Plus back in the day (the day when I was conceived) they had the coolest commercials (Google it). And (this may turn off some of you) it's from da land of da Packers so it can't be bad. At $12 a case it's well worth trying next time you want some refreshing beer that you don't have to think about or evaluate it's place in society. For what it is and doesn't try to be I give it 4.5/5. Good luck finding a better value alternative.

3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

I like this beer a lot, It's real, It's not expensive, It taste like a beer should taste. I've tried a great deal of different types of "beer" Some go way overboard and add funky flavors or way too much hops, But getting back to basics this to me is an almost perfect beer! Now some of you like the girly flavored beers, and that's ok , but that's not real beer, this is. Also just so you know I do like other beers such as Stella, Guinness Stout, Boulevard , (but not the IPA), dos equis, and many others, I'm not a beer snob, but when I like a beer that is good regardless of price I'll be as honest as I can going with my taste preferences.

3.84/5  rDev +34.7%

Hamm's has been my go to budget beer when in need of large quantities of beer on the cheap. A "Dirty 30" of Hamm's retails for under $15 which is an outstanding deal. Great for serving guests after they have drank your more expensive brews.

Hamm's has a light golden color, lightly carbonated and drinks smoothly. Hamm's is very similar to Miller High Life & Grain Belt Premium in terms of appearance and smell, however Hamm's has a distinct hop flavor that makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience. Hamm's is a no nonsense blue collar beer that satisfies again and again.

3.82/5  rDev +34%

I drank it from a can but I already know what it looks like - classic pale gold of its kind.
The smell was lacking, didn't have much of one.
The taste was a surprise. I was expecting something poor or watery but it has a decent, almost bitter flavor. Not watery.
Moderate carbonation, it's no Miller but it's not flat. Almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, I'm not disappointed, for the price and flavor, it's similar to a Miller High Life, and that's one of my favorite go-to beers. And I think I'll have a Hamm's again.

Edit as of 2/13/2016
I have not come across a beer with the taste and quality of Hamm's with the price to match. This is my every day go to beer. I think this is the beer for me.

3.82/5  rDev +34%

Thirsty? Hot? Got stuff to do later? Don't want to take a second mortgage out on some craft beer that spends more on artwork than taste? Then get a Hamms amigo. You won't impress or influence people by drinking this beer...but if you are drinking beer to impress or influence people then you probably shouldn't be drinking beer and instead drinking a tall pint of "You're-an-Idiot."

3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the price, this compares very favorably to the bigger beer distributors.

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%

Gold color with a little bit of prickle. Almost full coverage of lacing and a rim of foam. Lots of grain on the nose, but it stays in balance with the malt. Grainy attack with some mild hops in the flavor but dominated by the grain. Finishes with some graininess in true "premium lager" fashion. Good for the style. The style being what is often sold as "cold beer."

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer!

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops.

3.72/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

3.72/5  rDev +30.5%

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.