Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 256 | Ratings: 747
3.46/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear pale yellow with a one and a half finger fluffy white head. more than enough for less expensive beer.

Aroma has a strong corn note. A very light touch of grass. sweet corn is predominant.

The flavor has hint of corn and somewhat sweet. Thankfully, bitterness is not really present. What low testosterone aficionado thinks beer "should be" bitter?

Overall, a previous reviewer said it best, Hamm's is "nothing more than a thirst quenching lawnmower beer"...as all beer should be. Although a bit watery, finishes clean for an inexpensive beer. Where's my mower?!

3.45/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From the can stamped: SEP1012-CO8031534. Sampled on June 1, 2012. It pours a highly carbonated pale yellow with a head that rises about an inch and eventually settles down. I am rating this on whether it looks, smells, and tastes like and American Adjunct should. The look is right. The aroma is of grains, corn, and a bit of hops. The body is light to medium and creamy. The taste is also grainy, corny, but the hops finish it surprisingly crisp and clean. I stumbled across this in a beverage store in Southern New Hampshire and I have not seen Hamm's in New Hampshire since the 1980's. Easily worth the $3.75 I paid for the 6-pack.

3.44/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the box/can art/slogan this beer bears, so had to give it a try. I mean, come on, hate the beer all you want but "born in the land of sky blue waters" is one of the dreamiest, coolest slogans ever.

At any rate, this is a solid offering. It's much less harsh and bitter than Miller Lite or Bud Light, and also doesn't bear that pungent, chemical taste of the major beers. The taste is pretty simple, but works in the regard that it isn't overpowering nor sour or unflattering. The appearance and smell is pretty interchangeable, but again, it works and is satisfying enough.

This is the new session beer in my household; judge all you want.

3.41/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a fizzy yellow with a thin white head. Smell is sweet with faint minerals. Clear and clean and easy to drink - not too corny for an AAL. I'd drink this in the summer heat if it were available near me.

3.39/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A - Typical yellow-amber and clear, about two fingers of white head. Medium-low lacing.

S - Smells much like you'd expect from it. Some earthiness, grassiness, hops, and barley. Nothing crazy.

T - Actually better than I would expect for $17 out the door for a 30-pack. All the general tastes of an American adjunct, but pretty well put-together. Just seems a little less offensive than others and doesn't have that icy chewiness I might associate with Busch Light, for example.

M - Maybe because it's the regular rather than the light, it seems relatively smooth. I've had worse aftertastes.

O - I just may have found a new go-to cheap beer for buying en masse.

3.39/5  rDev +20.6%

As a joke, I picked this up from a local beer store, along with Bell's Two-Hearted and a BA Rasputin. $9.99 for a 30 pack. How bad can it be at that price point. It makes the other purchases average out in my mind.

Expections were low, but I have to say this is as good as anything AB, Miller, or Coors puts out. If I was a college kid looking to get my buzz on, this would be a winner. At 30 cents a can with a 4.7 ABV, you could throw a major party with little money and make lots of new friends.

Bottom line, it is what it is. A cheap beer for people on a budget that is no worse than any of the bigger names with lots of advertising money.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Hamm's is better than you might expect if you're looking for a very cheap beer (under $7 for a 12-pack). There isn't anything overly special about this beer, but it is more flavorful than other cheap light beers. The drinkability is high because there isn't a significant amount of taste... it is easy to drink A LOT of these at once. Give Hamm's a try... it isn't the worst beer around.

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Looks the same going in as it does coming out: off-yellow and a bit opaque (chunky). Smells like a truck stop bathroom floor, recently doused in trucker urine. Tastes the way I would imagine a viking feels before he pillages an innocent coastal village. Feels like doing battle in valhalla whilst reciting epic war poems. Overall: if you're looking for a beer that's cold wet and clear, made from the land of sky blue waters, Reach for a Hamm's!

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation/Appearance: I'll be honest, I drank this straight from the can. The can has a neat retro look and the packaging is less generic than most of the mass-produced domestic light beers.

Smell: Not much on the nose, but there is a slight corn aroma.

Taste: The flavor profile is thin compared to most craft beer, but decent compared to most light domestics. It's watered down and metallic tasting, but still somewhat grainy.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and heavily carbonated. Obviously meant to be drunk very cold.

Drinkability: There's not much flavor, but what is there is not too unpleasant. This is about all you can ask of adjunct lagers, and it gives Hamm's a higher drinkability rating than many of its peers.

Notes: This beer is great for what it is. It's an excellent alternative to most of the macro adjuncts out there, in terms of both price and flavor. In this way, I would liken it to PBR, which I am a fan of. Think of it as PBR's kid brother, looking up to and aspiring to be PBR.

3.32/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i had the is the other day at the beer because it was on special for $2.00 otherwise i would not have ordered it i think its smilliar to High ligh life or Pbr. i think its a good beer if you want to Drink a few beers for a cheep price i would buy it again if its on special but not for more that 2 bucks

3.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can best before 12/08/14. Poured into a mug.

A: Pours a golden color, perhaps a shade darker than you bud, miller, what have you. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles, the head was a soapy two fingers that hangs around and leaves some nice patchy lace.

S: Pretty clean all things considered. Sweet grains, fresh cut hay, a whiff of soapy hops, corn adjunct is noticeable but not really offensive. Reminds me of a high life kinda without the over pronounced, odd cooked vegetable aroma. Smells like stereotypical beer smell.

T: Sweet grains/corn, just a smattering of soapy grassy hop bitterness, maybe a bit of lemon grass, pretty clean, inoffensive, finishes dry. Drink it cold and fast, as it warms it becomes a bit rough around the edges with the corn adjunct becoming more apparent.

M: Medium body and highly carbonated, average for the style with maybe just a bit more heft.
O: Not bad, makes for a good lawn mower beer. Holds its own for sure against more highly priced offerings in the style. I wish it was available in 12 or 30 packs in my area but I guess I'll settle for the occasional tall boy six pack.

3.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Straw color, clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Fairly nice head.

Aroma:
Cooked corn, grains, a little metallic.

Taste:
Sweet grain, a little grassy, crisp bitterness, just a touch of corn, slight dry finish. Light and watery, very crisp, well carbonated.

3.31/5  rDev +17.8%

A= pours a clean yellow color with a nice big overcarbonated head on it that suprisingly holds some pretty nice retention and lacing on the side of the glass. Actually decent looking. A lot like high life with the head.

S= Smells like beer. Just like any adjunct lager you get a little grain and a little yeast.

T= The taste is nothingness. It's got a very very slight sweetness to it otherwise water. Really odd.

M= unexpectedly smooth and clean.

D= Not a bad AL. I actually sort of like it a little. It was cheap as balls and taste like nothing. I would buy this again if I wanted to get smashed.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Perfectly clear pale golden body with a fluffy white head that melts quickly into a skim of foam. The nose is pure corny grits with no discernable hops present at all. The taste is better than the smell, still a lot of corniness but more dry than most adjunct lagers with a faint suggestion of hop bitterness in the mostly squeaky clean finish. Light bodied and easy drinking. I was looking for a new cheap lawnmower beer to replace the old discontinued schlitz cans, I think I found it.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Do you see how I rated this beer? 3.3 on the Richter Scale. I mean, good grief, give this beer a break. In 1964 when I first drank this "mother's milk" I would have rated it 3.3. It hasn't changed, thank goodness. This is the type of beer that my grandpa and dad drank when coming in from lawn mowing. Push mower I might add. Sheeesh, let's get with the program my friends and honor the name cherished by millions of teenagers in the middle 60's. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, and always will be.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Served from a 16 ounce can into a shaker pint. October 2013 freshness date. A moderate pour produces a billowy 3/4 inch head that quickly recedes but leaves some nice patchy lacing in the center with a more substantial ring along the perimeter. The beer is a pale straw color and moderately carbonated.

I don't get much in the nose alone, but mine isn't very sensitive. I get a bit more by sniffing the can, where some light malt and a kiss of hops comes through a bit. The light hops and pale malt produce somewhat of a very light citrus character to go along with a little bit of corn mash to produce a quite refreshing brew, with plenty of pungent burpiness.

Hamm's was once a great name- in it's day the brand was practically synonymous with beer in certain parts of the upper midwest. My earliest memories are of it on draft at a certain 3.2 joint in Minnesota in the 70s. It had a reputation as a shitty beer by then, but it always had its devotees too. I think its a fine beer for the price- 3.99 for a six pack of pounders at my local C-store.

Update, July 31, 2015: I just bought a 30 pack of these bad boys for $17.28- that's 57.6 cents per can.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Eric for hooking me up with a can of this. My bottom of the barrel ticks would be zero without your efforts to keep me in check.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pub glass. The brew appear a light straw yellow color with an eruption of carbonation that forms more than a finger and a half of white head. The cap maintains fairly decent for the style with larger than normal bubble pattern. A close inspection reveals the smallest amount of particulate that keeps the brew from having polished clarity.

The aroma has a zesty faint hop aspect that is mildly herbal and mixed with a sulfur touch. There is a mild sweetness, somewhat cheesy with a fruity ester to almost bubblegum quality but the herbal aspect is surprisingly in the forefront and is the leading characteristic of the very mild nose overall.

The taste has a little bit more sweetness than the aroma led on. It has a grainy sweet quality that mixes with a bit of fruity/bubblegum ester. Whereas the bit of herbal component in the nose was the leading character, it is all but missing in the flavor. A sulfur character brings up the back with a bit of cheesy quality.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I dont know if it is the hot weather or lack of having a beer for awhile but I found this one to go down fairly easy considering the style. With the assortment of other mass produced products in this classification, you could do worse. If given the option of nothing but BMC products, I would probably choose this one over them.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

"From the land of sky blue waters, waters." This BMC-equivalent was enjoyed at Margie's Bar in Eveleth, MN, after a week of canoeing in the Boundary Waters. Smells like weak malt. Tastes watered down. And it's dirt cheap. What's not to love about Hamms? Heck, try this beer for the old-time commercials only. Believe me, you're not drinking Hamms for the taste.

Enjoy!

3.27/5  rDev +16.4%

12 oz can with a stamp on the bottom of SEP1409, not sure if that is a canning date or best by. Pours a crystal clear medium color with a white foam only a motherly Sprite could love. If you blink, you'll miss it.

Adjuncts, what smells like corn, is very evident in the nose along with a sweet, slightly sour light maltiness. Nothing to write home about, but is does not smell bad...fairly fresh and clean.

The taste is pretty neutral with cereal grains and a mild, but noticeable, hop bitterness on the finish. This beer does a nice job of keeping the sweetness to a minimum for the style. Not a bad AAL, I could drink a couple of these without much of a problem.

3.27/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid. All of a sudden there it is at my local store for $10.80 a case. At that price, seriously, why not? I'll just break it out on poker night and even if it's absolutely dreadful, it'll still get finished off. I'll grab this 12'er of Lagunitas IPA for the 'house', just in case...

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden with a thick white head that disappears quickly and leaves some delicate lacing. Looks okay. The lacing is actually pretty elegant looking.

Aroma is corn, a little grain, some grassiness. Typical for the style, nothing too terribly off-putting, but not the greatest smell either. Probably better left in the can.

Taste is very simple and straightforward, starts slightly sweet then fades into a swift corn/grain finish. Over and done like that (snaps fingers). Nothing off or bad tasting, but nothing stands out either. Super basic American lager.

Mouthfeel is also average for the style. Thin and light bodied, carbonation is average. Not too watery. Very drinkable. I could see losing count of how many of these I've had.

Overall this is just a slightly above average adjunct lager. I've had a few better, but I've had many worse. The aroma isn't the greatest, but I just had another one from the can and it was a non-issue. Hamm's is a perfectly cromulent session beer and actually an amazing value. I mean, $0.45/can for an actual drinkable beer? My overall rating takes this into consideration.

Update 9/7/13... Okay, fine. Hamm's has been our House Cheepniss all summer long. Probably on our 12th or 13th case at this point, and it's always in the fridge now for handing out by the armload to a bunch of guests, for keeping the whistle whetted in between precious glasses of hi-dolla craft, for pouring on the flareups when grilling burgers and for soaking the grilled brats until serving time, basically for all general "hey, it's beer" drinking purposes. One time I tried 'dry hopping' a can I was drinking with some Cascade pellet. Yeah, don't do that. Take it for what it is and it won't disappoint (much). Expect anything more and you're dumb.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

A vigorous pour into a shaker pint glass yields 2 fingers of bright white head that mostly disappears within a minute, leaving a skim of white. No lacing. Body is very pale straw colored.

Smells very lightly of grains, corn and the barest hint of hops.

Taste is pretty good for the style. There's some lemony bitterness right away, light grains, a bit of corn sweetness, and a touch of hops on the swallow.

Body is pretty light, carbonation is pretty fizzy- standard macro mouthfeel. There is a hint of pleasant creaminess and a pretty crisp finish.

Overall impression: About as good a macro lager as you're gonna get. Helluva lawnmower beer.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

This is really the perfect beer for drinking in a smoky room with sticky floors, late at night, after you may have over-imbibed. The sweet corn is understated considering the style and it still has a discernible hop flavor and bitterness to accompany.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, I am updating my rating from last time... I do not know if I had a skunked batch, or what, but Hamm's is really not too bad for being the cheapest brew (12 pack) at the local liquor store. Decent taste and drinkability have made this one of my new 'Summer Beers'.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

I bought a 24-pack of this from QuikTrip in St. Charles, MO. for $9.99. Enjoyed many of these and now reviewing one of the last couple... Poured from the 12 FL. OZ. Can into a Sky High (Como) pint glass and has OCT 03 11.

Aroma- Small amount of malts and grainy. Very sweet and has the average corn-like aroma too.

Appearance- Pours less than 1 finger head that dies quickly. The body is a pale straw color and has good clarity. Leaves almost no lacing behind.

Flavor- Very crisp, sweet, and has a good balanced taste all around! This one changed my mind about adjuncts I've never had before. No bitterness at the finish but everything else is above average for the style.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, High Carbonation, Smooth, and has a carbonic bite on the tongue.

Overall- What a great brew from Wisconsin! Awesome adjunct and can't believe I haven't seen this sooner. Haven't bought a pack of beer over 6 in more than months. Always cool seeing new beer on the gas station scene. Prost!

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.