Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 253 | Ratings: 735
4.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours that typical crystal clear golden color we all are (or should be) familiar with. A good looking adjunct lager with a fluffy head. More aroma than your standard adjunct lager with a nice herbal/grassy hop hint. Flavor is also more pronounced than most adjunct lagers; cooked corn and rice but this has a bit more malted barley sweetness and finishes with a hint of bitterness. Dry finish. This is easily one of the better adjunct lagers I have had the pleasure of trying. This beer dispels the theory that all of Pabst's retro brands (Olympia, rainier, stroh's, etc) are all the same beer with different labels. Scored according to style, this is one to get if you are looking for a cheap, refreshing beer.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale, straw colored body; plenty of lively carbonation; thick, fizzy, white head. Barely perceptible aroma of light, sweet cereal. Light grain flavor; white bread; decent hop bitterness. Light body; somewhat fizzy; crisp and dry finish.

Not the worst of (mostly) rightfully slammed adjunct lagers. There seems to be a smidge more flavor and body to Hamm's than most. There is little to recommend this beer for other than decent looks and an inexpensive price point.

2.02/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My brother had this poured at a bar and I had a couple tastes because I hadn't had one in many years. Now I remember why. It doesn't come close to matching the craft beers I drink. It has a week look, week smell, no body, and no head. The only thing it has going for it is it actually can be classified as beer. Brothers shouldn't let brothers buy this stuff. Hamm's is not the beer you've been looking for.

2.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours clear crisp yellow. No head.

Smell is grain, corn, sweet malts and slight skunk.

Taste is sweet with notes of grains, corn, and malts coming through. Its rather bland, but not bad.

Feel is crisp, light, and drinkable. Medium carbonation gives it some pop.

Overall a perfectly fine AAL. Drank nicely with the BBQ we had for dinner.

2.93/5  rDev +4.3%

Comes out that familiar yellow of macro. White head that displayed impressive retention. The aroma was of mildly sweetened corn pops.

Taste gave more of that too, but still imparts hipster retro old school feels, noble prickly hops and high carbonation. I mean, these are enjoyable on a certain level. All the high carbonation and hop bitterness comes off as an enjoyable way to play some whiffle ball or whatnot with in terms of pairings. It isn't anything beyond some 6 row, corn, high alpha long boil hops and whatnot, but if you know what you're getting into, this does finish relatively dry and bespeaks to a simpler time.

And cartoons.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From the land of Sky Blue Waters.

A great old name now part of the Miller stable who has apparently stopped breeding winners, just runners who will place. Nostalgia only goes so far. If we buy it we have to drink it. Light color, mild flavor with some malt and hops, just not enough to scare anybody. A brand firmly ensconced in the bargain basement where it belongs. It will do when something cheap and cold is required.

Hey, it's a beer. Buy it cheap and drink it cold. I still miss the bear.

4.83/5  rDev +71.9%

RobertDBase- Love your review. :-) I personally am a High Life fan because of the fresh bread aspect you were talking about. I have a few High Lifes and i start to get a headache sometimes. It happens with a lot of cheap beer or liquor. Hamm's Never gave me a cheap buzz headache. And its flavor was even better than High Life. I love it. 12 pack is like under $10 and only one liquor store in my town has it.

In a perfect world, everybody's drinking Hamm's. -Guttermouth

Searched for Hamms for years and finally found it. $13 for a dirty 30. I thought what could it hurt. Pours a golden beer with a nice head. Smoother than bud light and miller. This is the beer they drink in Valhalla. Be careful. They go down so smooth ice cold that I got down 15 before I knew it

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Looks the same going in as it does coming out: off-yellow and a bit opaque (chunky). Smells like a truck stop bathroom floor, recently doused in trucker urine. Tastes the way I would imagine a viking feels before he pillages an innocent coastal village. Feels like doing battle in valhalla whilst reciting epic war poems. Overall: if you're looking for a beer that's cold wet and clear, made from the land of sky blue waters, Reach for a Hamm's!

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A good cheap ($12/30-pack) working man's/college student's beer. Didn't give me a headache or the shits, unlike many of its cheap brethren. This is the beer you give guest's whom you don't want drinking your top-shelf hooch.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

I never know what kind of brewed treat I'm going to find when I show up at my in-laws. This time it was Hamm's, which, to my knowledge, isn't available in most southern states.

This beer is what it is: a decent AAL at an affordable price. Compared to other AAL, Hamm's holds its own. It is much sweeter and richer than many AALs. Personally I didn't love the sweetness, but kudos to them for being distinct. If nothing else, the sweetness is prefered to the typical watery taste of most AALs.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A working mans' classic.
Hamm's is the epitome of the simple, light tasting, modestly priced AAL. It is far better tasting than the other offerings in this price range (Strohs, Old Style, Busch and Old Mil come to mind). When poured into a glass, it initially has a nice head which fades quickly. Appealing straw color. Crisp taste. Not watery. I prefer drinking it from the can and enjoy it when working around the yard or grilling dogs and burgers on the deck. At $11-13 for a 30 pk., how can you go wrong?

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

I drank it from a can but I already know what it looks like - classic pale gold of its kind.
The smell was lacking, didn't have much of one.
The taste was a surprise. I was expecting something poor or watery but it has a decent, almost bitter flavor. Not watery.
Moderate carbonation, it's no Miller but it's not flat. Almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, I'm not disappointed, for the price and flavor, it's similar to a Miller High Life, and that's one of my favorite go-to beers. And I think I'll have a Hamm's again.

Edit as of 2/13/2016
I have not come across a beer with the taste and quality of Hamm's with the price to match. This is my every day go to beer. I think this is the beer for me.

2.86/5  rDev +1.8%

I know its a garbage beer but every now and again I enjoy dumpster diving. Hamms has nice carbonation and blows the big name brands away. Its rather creamy and has a nice german flavor to it for what it is. Doesnt hurt a 12 pack is only 5.99. I drink this when Im hitting donkeys filled with candy.

3.68/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(poured into a red wine glass, after letting can sit out for 7-8 minutes... this is the first time I can remember ever seeing this in any stores on the east coast - the guy behind the counter said it's 'new', they just got it in)

L: sunny yellow liquid with a tinge of cheap gold... poured firm to create head, and it does hold for a few seconds longer than I'd expect

S: a German yeast?!? - smells a tad like a helles... sweet grain, wet stone, dried grass and flowers... overall, pleasant for its kind - peculiarly reminiscent of a German pils... sub-medium overall potency

T: colder, it tastes like any other AAL... noticeably dry in the finish, but with a tiny residual sweetness, penny-like metallic hint in the aftertaste... mildly grassy, (uric) acid notes in aftertaste as well... the malt flavor has a slight husk-y edge... mild bitterness on tongue tip, lingers mid-palate

F: smooth, somewhat flat across the palate... almost medium-bodied, hardly watery... vaguely doughy residual feel... not extremely refreshing

O: land of sky blue waters, huh?... this is one of the better ones when poured into a glass; slightly more meat on its bones than the lot, and I'm digging the German notes in its taste - a few steps toward a helles?... I could drink a bunch of these

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Look: What's to say? Definitely not gatorade lemon yellow, so that's above par for the style in my book. Color is still a very pale gold or straw, however. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly. *some* lacing. I've seen worse.
Smell: smell? what smell? maybe some slight corn and metallic wafting on the nose.
taste:less is more for a lot of these AAL macrobrews, and this you could say has a lot less. Very fleeting suggestion of hops (It's worth noting that it's one of the only Miller-Coors brands that use "real" hops instead of extracts), but definitely not as hoppy as PBR. However, it has less of the dextriny sweetness that PBR has as well, and none of the huge cooked corn/vegetable flavors you might get from other macros. But there's no real malt character to replace it. Overall, very inoffensive but forgettable.
Feel:Light bodied with moderate carbonation, almost like water. Definitely a lot less fizzy than others I've had.
Overall: Taking into account the cheap AAL styles and the mass-market offerings I've had, this is about my 3rd or 4th choice in this category. Not bad, not great.

4.17/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beer drinker's beer. A great no nonsense beer that is the perfect beverage in a pinch. Instead of drinking all those "lite" beers, go with this one. This is the Ron Swanson of cheap beers.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance : A pale pear juice colored body with large fluffy foam pouring at 3 fingers. In this nonic pint glass, the head leaves lacing all the way down in flecks and specks, and eventually recedes to a finger after a few minutes. An impressive pour for a mass-produced lager.

Smell : I'm getting a lot of sweetness on the nose...sweet cereal, honey...pretty similar to Cheerios. Behind that some grass surfaces and a slight bit of straw or hay.

Taste : This drinks a bit like a poor-man's Pilsner, it reminds me of Miller Lite. The chalky bite is unmistakable, with some corn, cereal, and damp/moldy straw. There's a slight off-putting skunkiness to it, it's not something I'm really in favor of finishing. When drank from the can it's downright awful.

Feel : It drinks light and has a popping, exciting carbonation. It ends with a dry nip (that Pilsner quality again).

Overall : Hamm's is a beer that obviously has had some success and a following. My personal thoughts are that it's not a bad beer, but the corn/cereal/damp grain at the end of the taste really destroys the appropriate pilsner quality it has at the start.

2.82/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served iced cold, like a good AAL should be. Honestly, it's a standard AAL along the lines of PBR. Clearly not a flavorful beer, but when you're in the mood for something iced cold, you could do worse.

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - The beer was golden yellow with a bubbly white head.

Smell - The nose just makes me think of the spillage at a dive bar. The nose is light and grassy grains.

Taste - There are not a lot of well defined characteristics. The beer is a profile of grassy grains and noble hops. It is not overly bitter, but does run a little dry at the end.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation moves quickly to brush away the main beer profile. It is appropriate for the style.

Overall - For the style, this pretty much nails it. It might be the best American Adjunct Lager.

4.51/5  rDev +60.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hamm's the best inexpensive Beer on the market. Recently had Coors lite and compared it to Hamm's premium...not even close Hamm's won out..Coors lite was like watered down beer.

3.41/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a fizzy yellow with a thin white head. Smell is sweet with faint minerals. Clear and clean and easy to drink - not too corny for an AAL. I'd drink this in the summer heat if it were available near me.

1.59/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Not bad when cold, and it has that great old school jingle (search YouTube). I gave it an extra .25 pts overall for the awesome 60's 70's era marketing.

2.22/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to try something different from the macro world, so I picked up a 6-pack of 16-ounce Hamm's for under $5. Cheap as beer gets, I imagine. Very light straw color. White, bubbly head retains well — for the style. Sweet malt and adjunct smell. Not much else. Maybe esters. No skunk, at least (although I do have a high tolerance for it, and even prefer it in some beers). Grainy, very light rindy hop bitterness with bready finish. Less adjunct-forward and honey-like than a Dos Equis for example. Light-bodied with extremely sudsy carbonation, and a crisp finish. I won't be drinking the other 5 in a hurry. May share them with friends who don't really appreciate beer when they come over.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.