Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.59/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a light golden yellow, with a one finger head that quickly recedes, loads of carbonation.
Smells of sweet malt, most notably sweet corn with a hint of peach even, weird.
Taste is lightly bitter up front, giving way a nice light malt sweetness, and finishing crisp.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery as usual.
Overall a highly recommended AAL for the next price.

2.74/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

I've been on an Anti-Craft Beer kick as of late. I'm tired of the bizarre combinations of fruits, candy, coffees and teas in my beer. And lately I find myself just wishing I had a good old fashioned lager to drink. Hamm's comes in pretty close. I wouldn't call it a great beer by any means. But it is just beer, no fruits, no pure sours, no extreme hops, just plain old beer and that's all I wanted. So when I found the local Kroger selling 30 packs for $12 I decided, what the hell, and I have not regretted my decision. I definitely would rank it above Miller, Bud, PBR and Coors as far a flavor profile goes. The only downside, like most domestic beers these days, I need a dozen just to get a buzz.

2.78/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours's crystal clear gold into a fifteen ounce mug the same temperature as the beer. One finger head that dissipates quickly. Surprising lacing!

Smells like good olden days factory beer. Just plain beer smell.

Tastes like the late 1960's. Old time beer produced in huge volume. Some malt sweetness. Some sweet corn. Somewhat thin and watery on the palate. Light mouthfeel. Effervescent. Few hops with no bitterness.

A surprisingly crisp and refreshing brew. Good grass cutting beer on a hot summer's day. Cheap also. Give it a try. Cheers!!

1.85/5  rDev -34.6%

In general is a cheap beer, drank 2 and my wife told me the next morning that I smelled like a cheap alcoholic drunk. Just an average beer, not strong flavor or aroma

2.99/5  rDev +5.7%

16oz draft shows the classic light straw yellow body and almost floats a whitish head past one drink.
Aroma? What aroma?
Taste is clean and feel is carbonated crisp. I will not ask for more in 90°+ temps.
My grandfather just ordered another.

1.26/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Backlog from 2009. 12 oz can. Okay, this beer had floaties in it. The only beer that’s okay by me to have floaties in it are unfiltered craft beers. Hamm’s is definitely not in that category, so--yuck. That’s why it got a 1 in appearance. Surprisingly, the flavor tastes a little better than most cheap lagers. The floaties turned me off so much, I poured it out after the first drink. I can imagine it would have gotten an above average rating for Pale Lagers were it not for the floaties.

3.52/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Mother of cheap beers! Seriously, I actually like Hamm's. I first tried this beer in 2005, when I went to Arizona to visit my late Grandfather. He got us a 30 pack of Hamm's. At the time, I only dabbled a bit in brewing. So he asked me what I thought. I told him that I was surprised at how good it was. The beer tastes good, and goes down easy. There is a bit of an after taste, which seems to go away with another swig. Pretty soon, you don't even realize there was one! Seriously though, between Hamm's, Natty, Busch or PBR, Hamm's. I get my 30 packs here in MI for $11.99++. Can't beat that!

4.07/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Never seen these before in Maryland but found them in a 7-11 in Ocean City for $4.99 a sixer so for the novelty, it was a must buy. Appearance is pretty awesome for a cheap AAL. 2-3 finger head nice retention and typical pilsner golden clear color body. Smell isn't much to be desired, but the taste is incredibly smooth and easy to drink with none of those "off" flavors you get in many AALs. Got to say this one may be high on my AAL list, bypassing some others I've usually been high on.

3.2/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours that ubiquitous clear golden yellow. The head was a towering 3 fingers of white. The head lingers much longer than Rolling Rock did, and leaves legs of lacing on the glass. Nose is basically non existent. Just a slight cereal mustiness. No corn or DMS. The flavor is fairly neutral. No one thing is strong positive or negative. It's a bit of cereal grain, but with the sweetness balanced out. This is an easy drinker with a decent body for an AAL. I can see those that are sweet averse enjoying this more than most AAL's. Body is middle of the road being neither watery or chewy. Finishes slightly dry. Overall I'd probaby rate this just below High Life in the rankings of AAL's I've sampled this weekend. It's a viable option if your looking for an beer that isn't going to be challenging to drink, but still contains enough flavor to be interesting.

4.21/5  rDev +48.8%

16 oz. can poured into pilsener
(May 29, 2017 best-by date)

L: clear pale yellow, hint of gold, pushes up big thick head of white foam, over an inch tall and super sticky; good activity keep a constant collar of white foam and a piece of skin; laces a lot ... as pretty as they get

S: sweet peach, cracker malt; slight hint of house paint

T: fruity peach, slight earthy bitter bite, not quite medicinal but close, lingering bread dough sweet finish; hints of house paint

F: fantastic if you love carbonation; a strong pour takes a bit of that out and softens it, though it's still light and crispy

O: can't beat it for the price, and the amount of peach flavor is surprising; one of the sweetest AALs I've run into; they definitely put some barley in this thing

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

Wow, The real American lager throwback beer. I compared this side by side to a PBR and it's astounding the difference.
Price 11.99 /24pack .50 a can @ smart & final

Lowest price of all beer and fresh !

good stuff

1.75/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.47/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I thought that i rated this beer a while back but apparently not. I would not have done so if the local deep discount grocery store near my house did not have it on sale for $6.97 for a suitcase. Yes, as in 24 cans. You read that right. You can't get a case of PBR for under $10.00 on sale around here usually. I needed some beer to cook with and any marginally drinkable American Adjunct Lager (AAL) would do. So I took the plunge knowing I would at least have cooking beer for the next 24 meals that needed it. I cracked open a can to start making the batter for my homemade chicken tenderloin nuggets. 8 oz for the batter, 4oz for the cook....

Can dated on the bottom JUN0517 (about to expire so no wonder the blowout price) . Pours to a generous sudsy white head that falls to a thin layer and laces a bit. Typical yellow bright color. Aroma is sweet grains (corn, six row malt) and a touch of grassy, lemony hops but a bit of cheap beer metallic tang. Flavor is clean, crisp corn flakes and barley (grape-nuts cereal) and a faint but discernable zesty hop finish. Mouth feel is light and crisp. Easy to drink this like a cool glass of water. I was floored by the quality of this brew. It rivals PBR at its' price point for quality in it's style class. From now on I will never pass up a good deal on Hamms. Good for cooking -- the nuggets were delicious -- and a good easy drinking all purpose American macro lager.

This beer reinforces the belief that Bud and Bud Light are marketed for people who don't like "beer flavor". This beer has it yet Bud drinkers pay the premium price to avoid it.

P.S. This was the 4.0% abv max "low point' version sold in Oklahoma. The real thing clocks in at 4.6%. But this beer has big boozy AAL flavor and you could have fooled me. Speaking of low point beer... October 2018 can't get to Oklahoma soon enough.

4.4/5  rDev +55.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co. Poured from the can into a pint glass, this brew's got a three finger thick head, spotty lacing, and a clear golden body.

Smells like corn and other adjuncts, but nothing comes off as too sweet or cloying.

I taste full-bodied grains, yet this is still rather clean and crisp. The flavor doesn't come off as "cheap".

Medium-light mouthfeel with mild carbonation.

I'll rate Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co. with an overall 4.5. Quite a step above your average AAL's out there today.

2.54/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.51/5  rDev -11.3%

Not bad for a cheap low end beer. Definitely better than any of those 99 cent 24oz cans of other beers you can buy. Nothing fantastic but still an easy drinking cheap brew. Leagues better than Milwaukee's Best, Natural Ice or even Pabst.

12 oz can.
Nice dandelion body, reminds me of a new penny.
Standard American lager notes.
Tastes like about ten-twelve of these on a warm Saturday in the summer could do.
Smooth, very smooth - light body.
Conclusion: The best beer in the world; I could drink these every day for the rest of my life, easy.

2.66/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16 oz can.
Clear golden body with a proper head.
Weak American lager aroma.
The flavor follows with a meek and mild mix of sweet and earthy hops.
Smooth, near medium- light body.
Overall: Not good.

Hamm's brewed by Hamm's Brewing Co., With an ABV of 4.60% This American Adjunct Lager pours out a nice golden amber color with a small white head. There is some nice spotty lacing to this brew. The smell of Hamm's is rich with grains and malts, and a slight sweetness. You also pick up on small amount of hops in the smell of this brew. Hamm's has the look and the smell of most American Adjunct Lagers on the market, not saying that is a bad thing. Now for the taste, it is rich with grains and malts. This is a nice smooth drinking brew, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. Hamm's has a real nice balance to it. I like how smooth this brew goes down. This is one nice clean smooth brew. It is to be expected because of the style of brew. This is a brew that I have been waiting to try for a while now, and it is a decent American Adjunct Lagers. I a fan of this types of brews. The body of Hamm's is a soild medium. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would definitely look this brew up again givin the chance to. Hamm's Brewing Co., Did a real nice job with this brew.

2.09/5  rDev -26.1%

3.05/5  rDev +7.8%

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.