Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.2

3.72/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

2.52/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.84/5  rDev +4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

1.79/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

2.58/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A good cheap ($12/30-pack) working man's/college student's beer. Didn't give me a headache or the shits, unlike many of its cheap brethren. This is the beer you give guest's whom you don't want drinking your top-shelf hooch.

3.1/5  rDev +13.6%

I never know what kind of brewed treat I'm going to find when I show up at my in-laws. This time it was Hamm's, which, to my knowledge, isn't available in most southern states.

This beer is what it is: a decent AAL at an affordable price. Compared to other AAL, Hamm's holds its own. It is much sweeter and richer than many AALs. Personally I didn't love the sweetness, but kudos to them for being distinct. If nothing else, the sweetness is prefered to the typical watery taste of most AALs.

3.52/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A working mans' classic.
Hamm's is the epitome of the simple, light tasting, modestly priced AAL. It is far better tasting than the other offerings in this price range (Strohs, Old Style, Busch and Old Mil come to mind). When poured into a glass, it initially has a nice head which fades quickly. Appealing straw color. Crisp taste. Not watery. I prefer drinking it from the can and enjoy it when working around the yard or grilling dogs and burgers on the deck. At $11-13 for a 30 pk., how can you go wrong?

2.71/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

4.85/5  rDev +77.7%

2.97/5  rDev +8.8%

4.58/5  rDev +67.8%

Great lager for those looking to save money and time.

3.09/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.62/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.82/5  rDev +39.9%

I drank it from a can but I already know what it looks like - classic pale gold of its kind.
The smell was lacking, didn't have much of one.
The taste was a surprise. I was expecting something poor or watery but it has a decent, almost bitter flavor. Not watery.
Moderate carbonation, it's no Miller but it's not flat. Almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, I'm not disappointed, for the price and flavor, it's similar to a Miller High Life, and that's one of my favorite go-to beers. And I think I'll have a Hamm's again.

Edit as of 2/13/2016
I have not come across a beer with the taste and quality of Hamm's with the price to match. This is my every day go to beer. I think this is the beer for me.

2.82/5  rDev +3.3%

2.86/5  rDev +4.8%

I know its a garbage beer but every now and again I enjoy dumpster diving. Hamms has nice carbonation and blows the big name brands away. Its rather creamy and has a nice german flavor to it for what it is. Doesnt hurt a 12 pack is only 5.99. I drink this when Im hitting donkeys filled with candy.

1.12/5  rDev -59%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

1.84/5  rDev -32.6%

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

1.72/5  rDev -37%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

3.68/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(poured into a red wine glass, after letting can sit out for 7-8 minutes... this is the first time I can remember ever seeing this in any stores on the east coast - the guy behind the counter said it's 'new', they just got it in)

L: sunny yellow liquid with a tinge of cheap gold... poured firm to create head, and it does hold for a few seconds longer than I'd expect

S: a German yeast?!? - smells a tad like a helles... sweet grain, wet stone, dried grass and flowers... overall, pleasant for its kind - peculiarly reminiscent of a German pils... sub-medium overall potency

T: colder, it tastes like any other AAL... noticeably dry in the finish, but with a tiny residual sweetness, penny-like metallic hint in the aftertaste... mildly grassy, (uric) acid notes in aftertaste as well... the malt flavor has a slight husk-y edge... mild bitterness on tongue tip, lingers mid-palate

F: smooth, somewhat flat across the palate... almost medium-bodied, hardly watery... vaguely doughy residual feel... not extremely refreshing

O: land of sky blue waters, huh?... this is one of the better ones when poured into a glass; slightly more meat on its bones than the lot, and I'm digging the German notes in its taste - a few steps toward a helles?... I could drink a bunch of these

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.