Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 263 | Ratings: 757
2.87/5  rDev +2.1%

$6.39 for twelve cans, thanks to Patrick at BevMo Cypress for his dedication to hard-to-find beers.

Pours a clear light gold with fizzy white head and much carbonation evident. Head subsides fairly quickly though some lacing for what it is worth.

Aroma is grainy, with barley and corn. Some apple juice quality. Some hint of either hops or alcohol, both hidden behind a musty grain. Heavy on the adjunct qualities, but not anything bad going on in the nose.

Flavor is grainy with a metallic tinge and a touch of alcohol presence (though it is actually somewhat spirit like instead of rubbing alcohol). Some bitterness to help make the industrial taste more palatable, but no hop flavors really detectable. Tastes of cheap lager that is somewhat successfully covered up into something more drinkable. Light to medium body with loads of soda pop fizz carbonation.

Fairly drinkable brew that is obviously best cold. Much worse beer out there, so for $6.39 a twelver this might be an option for times that may require swill. Spend the extra dollar or two and upgrade to Schlitz if possible.

Honorable mention: this beer wins the prize for cheapest twelve pack I have ever purchased.

2.4/5  rDev -14.6%

CAN it be true? Hamm's in a CAN?!? Yow!

If Oly was a throwback to New London, CT c. 1984/85, this was a catapult back. Now, it was Monday nights at the Full Moon Saloon and this was served to us in an icy cold mug on draft for $ .50. My oh my!

I got a big, rocky two fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Nose had the distinct cereal sweetness that is associated with the style. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was thin with a watery taste on the tongue. Finish was very mild. Lawnmower beer!

I am leaving my original review at the top, but what a throwback to the nascent days of The CANQuest (tm)! In that period before the burgeoning of craft CANs, macro AALs were pretty much the norm. I had simply suggested CANned beers as a leveling of the playing field as an alternative to whales/wales/whalez until I was laughed out of the forum and left to my own devices. Who's laughing now?

From the CAN: "Since 1865"; "America's Classic Premium Beer - Born in the land of sky blue waters"; "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain and hops."

Ah, the dulcet tones of the Crack! & inverted Glug! Music to mine ears. Why? Because it proves that I am not a ticker since CANs only Crack! & Glug. Hee hee. Even with an inverted Glug, I still only managed to raise a brief finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly fizzed into memory. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. This allusion is to Beer School in Lincoln, NE in July 2006 when I was told that they must clarify their beers to the point that the Sunday comics CAN be read through them since that is what Nebraskans had been CANditioned to expect in a beer. I am sure that mentality has changed since, but it remains a great reference point. Nose had a sharp sweetness, definitely some corn in the mix, but it is to be expected. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. Taste was slightly sour, closer to the silage taste that I usually recognize in the style. This one was pretty cold, coming directly out of my refrigerator & into my glass and I was not really interested in allowing it to warm. Finish was bland, boring, just another day in AAL land. It has its place as a nostalgia beer, but I am so glad that there are so many CANned beer options now.

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%

Gold color with a little bit of prickle. Almost full coverage of lacing and a rim of foam. Lots of grain on the nose, but it stays in balance with the malt. Grainy attack with some mild hops in the flavor but dominated by the grain. Finishes with some graininess in true "premium lager" fashion. Good for the style. The style being what is often sold as "cold beer."

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

A-Pours a clear yellow with a white frothy head.

S-Nice malt and grain presence with a little bit of a spicy note.

T-Some sweet malt and even some detectable hops.

M-Light bodied and crisp.

D-Well, I have to say this exceeded my expectations. For the style this is tasty. Or maybe "tasty" is the better word but in any case I drank it all.

HV

2.49/5  rDev -11.4%

Presentation: 12oz old-school can

Appearance: Dark-gold brew, dense white cap with a bit more retention than expected

Smell: Odd; sweet, sugary...wrong

Taste: Odd touch of toastiness...odd semisweet aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: 1-dimensional, odd aftertaste...toast is nice but...meh, no thanks

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

"From the land of sky blue waters..." How many of us still remember the commercials with the Hamm's bear? Some of my favorite commercials as a kid.

Pours a pale gold color with a large foamy white head with decent retention. Smell is of corn, hops, and sweet malt.. The taste is a lot like the aroma. I can taste the hops and some sweetness which is a plus. The corn / grain taste is also present, but is not unexpected. The mouthfeel is thin and watery, but also crisp and clean. Got to take the bad with the good. The drinkability is average.

3.51/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pub glass. Freshness date of September 2009 on the bottom of the can.

Forming a larger then normal egg white head, about an inch deep. Somewhat slow to recede, leaving a cap of head retention. Thin spotty lace drapes. The color is a clear, golden light yellow, with just a touch of chill haze.

Aroma of corn, rice, grassy hops, something metallic and mineral like, with a good amount of cereal grain aroma.

This beer is crisp and refreshing, with carbonation much more layed back then other adjunct style brews.
Its thin and watery though, just much less carbonation sting, making it a hell of a lot more drinkable.
Corn and a touch of sweetness upfront, moving to a more bitter grain taste and metallic minerally water. Hay like hop flavors and a mild bittering along the way of hops.
Finishing bitter with some sweetness still mixing things up.

This is a great brew on a hot day, goes down easy and smooth. The lack of carbonation bite that you would find in many beers of this style provides much greater drinkability.
Definatly a decent brew and the price is terrific.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

Perfectly clear pale golden body with a fluffy white head that melts quickly into a skim of foam. The nose is pure corny grits with no discernable hops present at all. The taste is better than the smell, still a lot of corniness but more dry than most adjunct lagers with a faint suggestion of hop bitterness in the mostly squeaky clean finish. Light bodied and easy drinking. I was looking for a new cheap lawnmower beer to replace the old discontinued schlitz cans, I think I found it.

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

bought a twelve pack for 6.49 a great buy
A: Looks like your average macro lager perhaps a bit more golden like a pilsner
S: little bit chemical and metallic but you can also smell the corn mainly but also a little hint of barley
T: strong corn taste up front with a drying bitterness you don't expect from macro lagers pretty good, but at the end you get a nice hint of the barley like you would find in euro pale lager
M: fizzy light body what you would expect from lager like this
D: compared to the other macros i would say this kicks there ass the taste is just really there reminds me of the beer my dad used to drink

3.02/5  rDev +7.5%

$6.49 for a 12-pack of cans? I can't go wrong!
Straw yellow. So, when I was no more than 5, I played house with my sisters. I played dad. My father drank beer, so I got a beer out of the fridge and drank up...I remember sitting in my melodic rocking chair throwing back what was likely a Hauenstien in a brown bottle. I tell you this because I still remember the smell...this shares that smell and in an odd way, brings me back to my childhood. How about that?

It tastes as a lager usually tastes. A little sweet, a touch of sulfur from the corn grain...on the back end it leaves an odd plum wine aftertaste. Hamm's is bubbly and light.

If it were $3 more, it wouldn't be as drinkable as it is at about 50 cents a can. Funny how economics can make some beers more drinkable.

2.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Got a 1 finger fizzy white head outta my pour that went down quickly. Color is a clear straw.

Has a skunky grain aroma to the smell.

Taste is of grains and malts. Nothing special.

Really crisp, clean drink, light body with lots of carbonation.

Easy enough to drink. Sessionable.

A 'drink to get drunk' kind of beer.

Not much else to say about this beer.

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

A vigorous pour into a shaker pint glass yields 2 fingers of bright white head that mostly disappears within a minute, leaving a skim of white. No lacing. Body is very pale straw colored.

Smells very lightly of grains, corn and the barest hint of hops.

Taste is pretty good for the style. There's some lemony bitterness right away, light grains, a bit of corn sweetness, and a touch of hops on the swallow.

Body is pretty light, carbonation is pretty fizzy- standard macro mouthfeel. There is a hint of pleasant creaminess and a pretty crisp finish.

Overall impression: About as good a macro lager as you're gonna get. Helluva lawnmower beer.

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger thin off white head that fizzles down very fast. No retention or lace. Color is the basic clear straw yellow.

Aroma is skunky and grainy. Nothing too pleasing. Taste is very similar; very skunky. Some low end malts as well.

Mouthfeel is super crisp and overcarbonated. Ends with a slightly sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is just another macro lager that is cheap and nothing exciting. I don't plan on drinking this again unless it is free.

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

A: three finger head, wheat golden, very bubbly. decent head retention, not fantastic. little to no lacing

S: Weak smell. Pretty basic. Slightly bready or maybe biscutty

T: Very little taste I suppose, thought last night was at a tasting and the palate probably isn't really recovered. Leaves a bitter aftertaste on the front of the mouth, but not a hops bitterness

M: Thin, carbonated. Comparable to tonic water.

D: Easy, not much to stop you in terms of taste, just carbonation if that bothers you.

Poured from 12 oz. can into a stein.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer pours a clear light golden color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is a faint bready graininess. The taste is like the aroma. It is simple, but a little stronger than most Adjunct Lagers. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a smooth velvety feel most beers of its style don't have. Overall, this is a pretty good Adjunct Lager. I could drink this beer again.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is one of those beers that swill, but it's cool to drink it. It is a watery lager with unsetteling sweetness, but like Natty, the Beast and PBR, it is always cheap, and alway chic. This is swill. But I love it. Good with bluegill and making brats.

2.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Ordered a can at the Bryant Lake Bowl in Minnapolis. I just had to try it. And now I have. OK, this is basically PBR extra. Same watery sweetness with a cheap lager tang and a slightly bigger touch of spicy hops. Yeah, it worth trying for the sake of trying Hamm's, but it's not a terribly pleasant beer. Not patently offensive, but the taste is most easily described as cheap, watery, American beer.

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Pours a 1.5 finger bright white head. In a matter of about a minute, it dissipates into an ultra thin cap. The body is piss yellow and crystal clear.

S- Some malty sweetness is present with notes of apple and lime/citrus notes. There is a minute graininess and a touch of adjunt in the nose as well.

T- Starts off very clean with notes of light melon, and a thin graininess. The finish is a touch drier than the start and retains some of the malt (melon) notes.

M- Medium Carbonation works well. Ultra clean on the palatte

D- This ranks in at 5 and change % by volume so it's very drinkable. I usually pick PBR over this but for 11.99/case, you can't go wrong. Best enjoyed from the can, although the review was from a glass.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college.

3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up at a company function.

A: Straw colored with great clarity and mild carbonation from tiny bubbles. Big foamy white head stuck around longer than I thought it would. Left no lace.

S: Promising. A nice aroma of pepper is accompanied by a bit of raw grain.

T: The aroma doesn't translate to the taste. Pretty standard macro fare, but better to me than the BMC mainstays. Mild Malts hit first with flavors of dry barley, wheat and rice, but not necessarily in that order. Bitterness provides balance, but no discernible flavor other than a little metal. Finishes extremely clean.

M: Light body is fizzy, but not overly so.

D: A good yard work and family barbecue beer. In the bargain beer department, this slots in alongside PBR for me. Since a 12-pack of Hamm's goes for less than PBR, this is my new go-to cheap beer.

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Pours clear gold with a big white head and some minor lacings.

Aroma is corny with some floral hops.

Taste is American macro all the way but more flavor than most. Some detectable hops.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Drinkability is better than average. One of my favorite US macros.

3.22/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Well, okay. I have to admit, I'm drinking this out of a can. Seriously, who pours Hamm's into a glass? Not me! Up the punx! ;) But it's your typical American lager. That's what it looks like. Nothing special.

S: This beer has a kind of sweet smell to it. Pleasant, for sure. Not exceptional, but makes it that much more exciting to drink!

T: One of the better cheap-ass domestic beers out there, I think. A little bit of bitter citrus and a sweet, bready finish. I could throw these back all night if I wanted to.

M: Feels "cheap." Really "fluffy."

D: Once again, I could drink Hamm's all night. It's not the best beer in the world, but for what it is - a cheap American lager - it's definitely pretty good. It doesn't taste as much like hair as Pabst. It's not as watery as Olympia. It's just a decent, drinkable beer.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.