Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 764
4.78/5  rDev +70.1%

I did a double blind taste test of ten American beers. First thing I learned was I really liked having ten beers! I also found PBR my first favorite, and Hamm's was my second best friend. Grain Belt, MHL and Schlizt rounded out my top five. At a bar? I am lucky if they even have PBR, as Budweidser is all that most local bars have on tap if not all flavored or light beers. A 24 pack of Papsts and a 30 pack of hamm's both cost the same, $14.99 so the Hamm's is like a free six pack! I used to order Bud all the time, and my test showed I had been buying advertising, as it was #10, just beating Coors. 6 thru 8 were Old Milwaukke, Rolling Stone, and Natural. I do not drink beer flavored water, so none of the taste tests were light. I drink right from the can or bottle color is a non-issue. The taste of Hamm's is smooth and actually has some scent and flavor. I am 64 and until three years ago, I had smoked for 44 years so my senses of smell and taste may differe from more pure citizens or non veterans

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hadn't seen a can of Hamm's since my two tours to Korea, 76-77 and 79-82. I could usually be spotted with a case over my shoulder a couple of times a week boarding the kimchi bus for home downtown in the ville. Anything was better than the local Crown or OB. I think I paid about $5 a case back then. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a case in the beer cooler at Walmart today, in, of all places, Thomaston, Maine! I gotta buy me one of these! Ended up paying around $13 bucks, inflation I guess.
Got home and cracked open a can, pouring it into a pilsner glass. Looks good, has a head even. Cautiously I take a sip, taking myself back to my humble abode down the road from the rubber glove factory, with fish drying racks on the hill behind and across the road from a rice paddy (can't say I miss those combined smells ! ). Damn this is pretty good beer! Better than I remember. Taste, smoothness and drinkability easily beats most American AAL's.

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

Hands down the BEST AAL. The most consistent beer I've ever had in it's class. Most bang for your buck, $9.89 a 30-box here, and it actually tastes like beer. You Hipsters and Lumber-sexuals can have the PBR, just keep your greasy mustache wax off my fucking Hamm's.

Family party, desperate, the choices in the fridge were Hamms and Coors Light, seriously, my relatives are basic as hell. One sip of this light light yellow, corn scented flavorless thin crap and it went down the drain. It is the worst beer I've ever had.

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

For around $10 for a 30 pack you shouldn't be expecting a beer that is anything extraordinary. It's very drinkable though and is my new go to beer for where I'm just going for quantity and not quality. Tastes good, comparable to the rest of the beers in it's class and it might actually be better than most of them.

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Ok so its not the most popular brand. Its very possible to grab a six pack that has been sitting on a store shelf too long, be warned beer lovers. That said, American dopes enjoy coors and Budweiser, the same guys also probably voted for lil donny dump so there you go! If you want to waste your money I wont stand in your way... Hamm's is #1 for taste and VALUE! I enjoy many micro brews but Hamm's is my go to beer to hit the trail on my dirtbike or hang with the boys! Great beer, great buzz. Coors fans choke yourself

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Hamms is my new go to American adjunct lager. By no means micro crafted, but what the heck......the price can't be beat considering the flavor! After I quaff a fine crafted brew or 2, I go to Hamms for a reasonable session beer that doesn't drain my wallet. Also makes the wife less apprehensive.

3.42/5  rDev +21.7%

I mean this beer is what it is. An american classic made for the working mans budget. Ive probably drank a few skids worth of cases of this beer in my lifetime. Obviously i prefer good micro brews. But if you want to just hang out with buddies or need a fishing beer this is it. At 11.99 in central indiana for a 30 pack cold you can't go wrong. Tastes better than most american lagers.

2.24/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Born in the land of sky blue waters comes Hamm's. I know that this is a cheap beer, probably a little more popular in parts of the country other than my native New Jersey (I was honestly shocked when I saw it in a liquor store here, hence why I had to pick it up). I wasn't going into this beer with high expectations, but I was a bit relieved that it was drinkable and not downright disgusting.

Hamm's pours a straw color with a slight yellow hue. A decent 2 fingers worth of foam forms but doesn't stick around for too long. The smell is nearly non-existent, with just some barely detectable grain smells present. The mouthfeel is kind of thin with a moderate amount of carbonation, which is not surprising. The flavor is indeed "cheap", with the majority of the flavor being just some light grains although I must say there is a decent hop presence noticable as well. Some seltzer-like taste and a bit of green apple flavor is present as well. The aftertaste is clean save for some leftover grains and the beer finishes without any alcoholic warmth.

Hamm's is drinkable and won't cause anyone to wretch (hopefully), but it definitely counts as a bargain basement type brew. Why I was able to find this in New Jersey instead of its usual midwestern home base, I'll probably never know.

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%

Rated for the style. Ive had hamms litterally 100's of times. Its about as cheap a beer as you can get here in the Midwest. Typically its runs $12-$13 for a 30 pack but recently a local gas station has had 30 packs for $9.99. Beer for cheaper than you can buy soda? Dont mind if i do. Despite its cheap price Hamms is a decent adjunct lager that holds its own within the style. Clear yellow and fizzy. Clean taste of mineral water, corn and very slight hops at the end. 4.7 percent alcohol is higher than a light beer but still low enough to session 8 to 12 on a Sunday afternoon watching football. If youre on a budget dont be afaid to buy Hamms. Just enjoy it for what it is and youre set.

2.22/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Typical American light lager.
The appearance is a clear straw gold.
The aroma is corn, malt sweetness, and some pils spice.
The taste is malt sweetness, corn, and some spicy earthiness.
The palate is light with a quickly dissipating flavor.
Overall this is a standard American light lager.

3.85/5  rDev +37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For the standard weekend beer drinker/tailgater/griller/warm-blooded human etc. like 99% of us (i.e. not a pretentious beer snob or hobby brewer) this is a no brainer. Got the refreshing taste, look, and feel of a light American pilsner (i.e. Miller lite) but at nearly 5% ABV it'll keep you in your chair feeling kozy. Plus back in the day (the day when I was conceived) they had the coolest commercials (Google it). And (this may turn off some of you) it's from da land of da Packers so it can't be bad. At $12 a case it's well worth trying next time you want some refreshing beer that you don't have to think about or evaluate it's place in society. For what it is and doesn't try to be I give it 4.5/5. Good luck finding a better value alternative.

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

This is not bad for an Anerican adjunct lager. It is soapy on the head and yellowy, as per most. It has a grainy husk flavor with rice and corn mixed in. Nothing offensive and actually has enough hop profile to prevent the beer from that awful sweetness you find in most of the beers that In-Bev has mangled. Very refreshing and easy to drink. It's not an award winner, IMO, but a nice lawnmower brew.

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours that typical crystal clear golden color we all are (or should be) familiar with. A good looking adjunct lager with a fluffy head. More aroma than your standard adjunct lager with a nice herbal/grassy hop hint. Flavor is also more pronounced than most adjunct lagers; cooked corn and rice but this has a bit more malted barley sweetness and finishes with a hint of bitterness. Dry finish. This is easily one of the better adjunct lagers I have had the pleasure of trying. This beer dispels the theory that all of Pabst's retro brands (Olympia, rainier, stroh's, etc) are all the same beer with different labels. Scored according to style, this is one to get if you are looking for a cheap, refreshing beer.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pale, straw colored body; plenty of lively carbonation; thick, fizzy, white head. Barely perceptible aroma of light, sweet cereal. Light grain flavor; white bread; decent hop bitterness. Light body; somewhat fizzy; crisp and dry finish.

Not the worst of (mostly) rightfully slammed adjunct lagers. There seems to be a smidge more flavor and body to Hamm's than most. There is little to recommend this beer for other than decent looks and an inexpensive price point.

2.02/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My brother had this poured at a bar and I had a couple tastes because I hadn't had one in many years. Now I remember why. It doesn't come close to matching the craft beers I drink. It has a week look, week smell, no body, and no head. The only thing it has going for it is it actually can be classified as beer. Brothers shouldn't let brothers buy this stuff. Hamm's is not the beer you've been looking for.

2.84/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours clear crisp yellow. No head.

Smell is grain, corn, sweet malts and slight skunk.

Taste is sweet with notes of grains, corn, and malts coming through. Its rather bland, but not bad.

Feel is crisp, light, and drinkable. Medium carbonation gives it some pop.

Overall a perfectly fine AAL. Drank nicely with the BBQ we had for dinner.

2.93/5  rDev +4.3%

Comes out that familiar yellow of macro. White head that displayed impressive retention. The aroma was of mildly sweetened corn pops.

Taste gave more of that too, but still imparts hipster retro old school feels, noble prickly hops and high carbonation. I mean, these are enjoyable on a certain level. All the high carbonation and hop bitterness comes off as an enjoyable way to play some whiffle ball or whatnot with in terms of pairings. It isn't anything beyond some 6 row, corn, high alpha long boil hops and whatnot, but if you know what you're getting into, this does finish relatively dry and bespeaks to a simpler time.

And cartoons.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

From the land of Sky Blue Waters.

A great old name now part of the Miller stable who has apparently stopped breeding winners, just runners who will place. Nostalgia only goes so far. If we buy it we have to drink it. Light color, mild flavor with some malt and hops, just not enough to scare anybody. A brand firmly ensconced in the bargain basement where it belongs. It will do when something cheap and cold is required.

Hey, it's a beer. Buy it cheap and drink it cold. I still miss the bear.

4.83/5  rDev +71.9%

RobertDBase- Love your review. :-) I personally am a High Life fan because of the fresh bread aspect you were talking about. I have a few High Lifes and i start to get a headache sometimes. It happens with a lot of cheap beer or liquor. Hamm's Never gave me a cheap buzz headache. And its flavor was even better than High Life. I love it. 12 pack is like under $10 and only one liquor store in my town has it.

In a perfect world, everybody's drinking Hamm's. -Guttermouth

Searched for Hamms for years and finally found it. $13 for a dirty 30. I thought what could it hurt. Pours a golden beer with a nice head. Smoother than bud light and miller. This is the beer they drink in Valhalla. Be careful. They go down so smooth ice cold that I got down 15 before I knew it

3.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Looks the same going in as it does coming out: off-yellow and a bit opaque (chunky). Smells like a truck stop bathroom floor, recently doused in trucker urine. Tastes the way I would imagine a viking feels before he pillages an innocent coastal village. Feels like doing battle in valhalla whilst reciting epic war poems. Overall: if you're looking for a beer that's cold wet and clear, made from the land of sky blue waters, Reach for a Hamm's!

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A good cheap ($12/30-pack) working man's/college student's beer. Didn't give me a headache or the shits, unlike many of its cheap brethren. This is the beer you give guest's whom you don't want drinking your top-shelf hooch.

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

I never know what kind of brewed treat I'm going to find when I show up at my in-laws. This time it was Hamm's, which, to my knowledge, isn't available in most southern states.

This beer is what it is: a decent AAL at an affordable price. Compared to other AAL, Hamm's holds its own. It is much sweeter and richer than many AALs. Personally I didn't love the sweetness, but kudos to them for being distinct. If nothing else, the sweetness is prefered to the typical watery taste of most AALs.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.