Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

Alströms:
3.2

4.26/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Alright, I'm going to rate this in style. If you try and compare this to craft beer, you're going to rate it horribly. With that said, it's creamy, light, refreshing, and goes down easy. This is what my grandfather drank almost exclusively, and for good reason. Saw it on the shelf at my local supermarket and figured I might as well try it, it has replaced Rainer as my go to AAL. I could see myself sucking these down on a hot day, plus the price can't be beat.

To the people who rated this below a 3. Come on now, it's AAL not Pulling Nails, and no, I don't care you've had Scooop.

3.09/5  rDev +13.6%

2.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.84/5  rDev +4.4%

4.14/5  rDev +52.2%

If my above score seems high it's simply because I'm only rating this against other AALs, it wouldn't stack up too well against most craft lagers. This however, I believe is the pinnacle of the AAL style. The appearance is fairly typical but I did notice that it had a very nice and creamy, maybe two finger head that stayed for basically the entire glass (around half an hour) and the aroma, compared to say Budweiser was very pleasant. You get the corn sweetness but it wasn't overbearing and non of that skunky-alcohol notes that I always seemed to get with other beers in the style. The flavor profile follows the nose pretty closely, it's not going to blow your mind but it's very pleasant and very drinkable. I think the drinkability is in large part due to the fantastic mouthfeel. Fairly full and creamy, not watery at all. All in all, a solid beer and what I would consider the best in its class. Also, the fact that I can pick up a 24 pack for 12.99 doesn't hurt.

3.42/5  rDev +25.7%

Not a bad beer by any means. Pours a light gold with a nice foamy head. No lacing to the glass or retention though, which is disappointing. Tastes of a very corny/wheaty mixture. Not unpleasant, just not exceptional. A fine beer for a hot day, but not something to drink just to try. Either you like it or you don't. The land of the Sky Blue Waters produces an very fine, very cheap "average" lager.

3.82/5  rDev +40.4%

Thirsty? Hot? Got stuff to do later? Don't want to take a second mortgage out on some craft beer that spends more on artwork than taste? Then get a Hamms amigo. You won't impress or influence people by drinking this beer...but if you are drinking beer to impress or influence people then you probably shouldn't be drinking beer and instead drinking a tall pint of "You're-an-Idiot."

A corny tasting lager.

3.11/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.72/5  rDev +36.8%

3.32/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm from Louisiana and upon doing some research, because at this time I am into trying the American lagers just to experience all the beers that the older people around me talk about. Well this beer wasn't available apparently in my home state for a few decades and it randomly came back when I began doing the cheap American beer tastings and it was $4.79 for a six pack of 16oz cans and today I went in to the store and it was on sale for $1.99 for the same six pack of 16oz cans... quite the steal. The beer itself is actually pretty decent it's very comparable to say a Schlitz or something like that. It's a very decent beer especially with that new sale price!

3.56/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's an American adjunct lager, you know what it looks like.

It also smells like an AAL. Not bad, not good, just smells like classic cookout beer.

Surprisingly, the taste isn't bad at all. A little hint of bitterness, slight maltiness and just a hint of the adjunct. Really impressed.

Also not overly carbonated like some of its competitors. They really did a good job with that.

I typically hate AAL beers, and I don't hate this. I would definitely drink it again, and at $4.50 for a six pack, I'm probably going to.

3.59/5  rDev +32%

Pours a light golden yellow, with a one finger head that quickly recedes, loads of carbonation.
Smells of sweet malt, most notably sweet corn with a hint of peach even, weird.
Taste is lightly bitter up front, giving way a nice light malt sweetness, and finishing crisp.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery as usual.
Overall a highly recommended AAL for the next price.

2.74/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

I've been on an Anti-Craft Beer kick as of late. I'm tired of the bizarre combinations of fruits, candy, coffees and teas in my beer. And lately I find myself just wishing I had a good old fashioned lager to drink. Hamm's comes in pretty close. I wouldn't call it a great beer by any means. But it is just beer, no fruits, no pure sours, no extreme hops, just plain old beer and that's all I wanted. So when I found the local Kroger selling 30 packs for $12 I decided, what the hell, and I have not regretted my decision. I definitely would rank it above Miller, Bud, PBR and Coors as far a flavor profile goes. The only downside, like most domestic beers these days, I need a dozen just to get a buzz.

2.78/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours's crystal clear gold into a fifteen ounce mug the same temperature as the beer. One finger head that dissipates quickly. Surprising lacing!

Smells like good olden days factory beer. Just plain beer smell.

Tastes like the late 1960's. Old time beer produced in huge volume. Some malt sweetness. Some sweet corn. Somewhat thin and watery on the palate. Light mouthfeel. Effervescent. Few hops with no bitterness.

A surprisingly crisp and refreshing brew. Good grass cutting beer on a hot summer's day. Cheap also. Give it a try. Cheers!!

1.85/5  rDev -32%

In general is a cheap beer, drank 2 and my wife told me the next morning that I smelled like a cheap alcoholic drunk. Just an average beer, not strong flavor or aroma

2.99/5  rDev +9.9%

16oz draft shows the classic light straw yellow body and almost floats a whitish head past one drink.
Aroma? What aroma?
Taste is clean and feel is carbonated crisp. I will not ask for more in 90°+ temps.
My grandfather just ordered another.

1.26/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Backlog from 2009. 12 oz can. Okay, this beer had floaties in it. The only beer that’s okay by me to have floaties in it are unfiltered craft beers. Hamm’s is definitely not in that category, so--yuck. That’s why it got a 1 in appearance. Surprisingly, the flavor tastes a little better than most cheap lagers. The floaties turned me off so much, I poured it out after the first drink. I can imagine it would have gotten an above average rating for Pale Lagers were it not for the floaties.

3.52/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Mother of cheap beers! Seriously, I actually like Hamm's. I first tried this beer in 2005, when I went to Arizona to visit my late Grandfather. He got us a 30 pack of Hamm's. At the time, I only dabbled a bit in brewing. So he asked me what I thought. I told him that I was surprised at how good it was. The beer tastes good, and goes down easy. There is a bit of an after taste, which seems to go away with another swig. Pretty soon, you don't even realize there was one! Seriously though, between Hamm's, Natty, Busch or PBR, Hamm's. I get my 30 packs here in MI for $11.99++. Can't beat that!

4.07/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Never seen these before in Maryland but found them in a 7-11 in Ocean City for $4.99 a sixer so for the novelty, it was a must buy. Appearance is pretty awesome for a cheap AAL. 2-3 finger head nice retention and typical pilsner golden clear color body. Smell isn't much to be desired, but the taste is incredibly smooth and easy to drink with none of those "off" flavors you get in many AALs. Got to say this one may be high on my AAL list, bypassing some others I've usually been high on.

3.2/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours that ubiquitous clear golden yellow. The head was a towering 3 fingers of white. The head lingers much longer than Rolling Rock did, and leaves legs of lacing on the glass. Nose is basically non existent. Just a slight cereal mustiness. No corn or DMS. The flavor is fairly neutral. No one thing is strong positive or negative. It's a bit of cereal grain, but with the sweetness balanced out. This is an easy drinker with a decent body for an AAL. I can see those that are sweet averse enjoying this more than most AAL's. Body is middle of the road being neither watery or chewy. Finishes slightly dry. Overall I'd probaby rate this just below High Life in the rankings of AAL's I've sampled this weekend. It's a viable option if your looking for an beer that isn't going to be challenging to drink, but still contains enough flavor to be interesting.

4.21/5  rDev +54.8%

16 oz. can poured into pilsener
(May 29, 2017 best-by date)

L: clear pale yellow, hint of gold, pushes up big thick head of white foam, over an inch tall and super sticky; good activity keep a constant collar of white foam and a piece of skin; laces a lot ... as pretty as they get

S: sweet peach, cracker malt; slight hint of house paint

T: fruity peach, slight earthy bitter bite, not quite medicinal but close, lingering bread dough sweet finish; hints of house paint

F: fantastic if you love carbonation; a strong pour takes a bit of that out and softens it, though it's still light and crispy

O: can't beat it for the price, and the amount of peach flavor is surprising; one of the sweetest AALs I've run into; they definitely put some barley in this thing

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

Wow, The real American lager throwback beer. I compared this side by side to a PBR and it's astounding the difference.
Price 11.99 /24pack .50 a can @ smart & final

Lowest price of all beer and fresh !

good stuff

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 8.7% out of 100 with 837 ratings