Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 253 | Ratings: 735
2.73/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at a place with little choice to be had. Haven't ticked this one yet, so why not...

A: Served in a standard pint glass. Clear light golden color. Served with a minimal white head that doesn't bother sticking around for very long. No lacing.

S: Very little aroma. Maybe a bit if grain or corn. A touch of grass? Really there just isn't much of anything.

T: Well, the taste isn't quite as clean as the aroma. Light bodied, light sweetness, and that sort-of tart green apple flavor that is typical of American Lagers. A little grain, a little corn and just faintest touch of grassy hops.

M: light bodied. Medium carbonation. Low bitterness.

O: well, as to be expected, there isn't much going on with this one. Sadly, there are better light lagers available.

3.39/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A - Typical yellow-amber and clear, about two fingers of white head. Medium-low lacing.

S - Smells much like you'd expect from it. Some earthiness, grassiness, hops, and barley. Nothing crazy.

T - Actually better than I would expect for $17 out the door for a 30-pack. All the general tastes of an American adjunct, but pretty well put-together. Just seems a little less offensive than others and doesn't have that icy chewiness I might associate with Busch Light, for example.

M - Maybe because it's the regular rather than the light, it seems relatively smooth. I've had worse aftertastes.

O - I just may have found a new go-to cheap beer for buying en masse.

4.41/5  rDev +56.9%

If your looking for a medium bodied beer with great taste and unbeatable cost, then Hamm's is your beer. They have stayed true to their labeling as well as their flavor for years. I do like some micro's and I absolutely love Guinness, but I hate that folks are so proud of them. I can by 30 Hamm's or less then 1/2 case of a micro. I'll take Hamm's, thank you very much.

4.46/5  rDev +58.7%

On the most enjoyable bottled beers you can buy. Is it that good? Absolutely, as long as [1] you drink it as fresh as possible (ideally within the first month of delivery from the brew house, or at least months or more out from the expiration date); [2] you're not a piffy, nose-in-air snob.

I don't care about "grassy" this or that. The only question for is whether it tastes great. And, it does. The flavor is distinctive, balanced, and enjoyable. Again, as long as it's fresh, you'll get a really crisp, slightly grain-dominated start, which develops into a fresh, yeastier finish. Delightful. Hops are present in a correct ratio; this isn't some insanely over-hopped, liquid black dirt microbrew. Medium to lighter bodied, it's just the thing for the summer. It doesn't weigh you down, but it's immensely satisfying.

3.27/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid. All of a sudden there it is at my local store for $10.80 a case. At that price, seriously, why not? I'll just break it out on poker night and even if it's absolutely dreadful, it'll still get finished off. I'll grab this 12'er of Lagunitas IPA for the 'house', just in case...

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden with a thick white head that disappears quickly and leaves some delicate lacing. Looks okay. The lacing is actually pretty elegant looking.

Aroma is corn, a little grain, some grassiness. Typical for the style, nothing too terribly off-putting, but not the greatest smell either. Probably better left in the can.

Taste is very simple and straightforward, starts slightly sweet then fades into a swift corn/grain finish. Over and done like that (snaps fingers). Nothing off or bad tasting, but nothing stands out either. Super basic American lager.

Mouthfeel is also average for the style. Thin and light bodied, carbonation is average. Not too watery. Very drinkable. I could see losing count of how many of these I've had.

Overall this is just a slightly above average adjunct lager. I've had a few better, but I've had many worse. The aroma isn't the greatest, but I just had another one from the can and it was a non-issue. Hamm's is a perfectly cromulent session beer and actually an amazing value. I mean, $0.45/can for an actual drinkable beer? My overall rating takes this into consideration.

Update 9/7/13... Okay, fine. Hamm's has been our House Cheepniss all summer long. Probably on our 12th or 13th case at this point, and it's always in the fridge now for handing out by the armload to a bunch of guests, for keeping the whistle whetted in between precious glasses of hi-dolla craft, for pouring on the flareups when grilling burgers and for soaking the grilled brats until serving time, basically for all general "hey, it's beer" drinking purposes. One time I tried 'dry hopping' a can I was drinking with some Cascade pellet. Yeah, don't do that. Take it for what it is and it won't disappoint (much). Expect anything more and you're dumb.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%

Hamm's has been my go to budget beer when in need of large quantities of beer on the cheap. A "Dirty 30" of Hamm's retails for under $15 which is an outstanding deal. Great for serving guests after they have drank your more expensive brews.

Hamm's has a light golden color, lightly carbonated and drinks smoothly. Hamm's is very similar to Miller High Life & Grain Belt Premium in terms of appearance and smell, however Hamm's has a distinct hop flavor that makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience. Hamm's is a no nonsense blue collar beer that satisfies again and again.

2.36/5  rDev -16%

Served on tap in a pint at the Blue Door Pub. I'm not going to lie, my friends helped me with this review and it was a little bit of a joke but I think we were honest for the most part. Reviewed from some pretty entertaining notes.

A- Yellow snow color.

S- "Ham," beer, water and feet hit the nose right off the bat.

T- Musty barley with some bread present.

M- "Water"

O- "It is What It Is."

Cheers.

I know this site is full of elitists and beer snobs but Hamm's is without a doubt the best session beer available ever. Great taste and great value. Get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Hamm's is truly deserving. I just wish it was easier to find In New England.

3.57/5  rDev +27%

This is my go-to beer when I need a fridge filler for relatives and friends. I have stocked other adjunct lagers in the past that I felt are better, but when your guests choose this over more expensive beer, I'm not going to argue.

The appearance is a light straw color that is transparent with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells like corn with a slight sweet malt presence, clean but overall not much to speak of. The taste is sweet with a light hop presence, refreshing with a slightly thicker mouth feel than a stereotypical adjunct lager. No skunk flavors with a nice finish and no real aftertaste.

Overall this is an adjunct lager and I cant say it is a great beer. It serves it's purpose as a refreshing lawnmower companion and makes my relatives feel welcome in my home. My rating for this beer is strictly style based receiving an elevated score because of price, 15 bucks for a thirty pack. It's not my favorite Adjunct, but it is the cheapest one I am willing to drink and beats BMC seven days a week.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Milwaukee's Best used to be the cheapest 30-pack on the market, but now Hamm's has the cheapest 30-pack in town. A 30-pack of Hamm's is under $12 (before tax and bottle deposit), and the taste is decent. I'd say it's very similar to Red Dog, Busch, and Milwaukee's Best.

3.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Straw color, clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Fairly nice head.

Aroma:
Cooked corn, grains, a little metallic.

Taste:
Sweet grain, a little grassy, crisp bitterness, just a touch of corn, slight dry finish. Light and watery, very crisp, well carbonated.

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Can't beat Hamms for the Price. $11 a 30 pack. $5 for a 12 pack. This is my go to if im being cheap. it's drinkable not good but its the cheapest available here and tastes better than beers for $2-3 more.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew.

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Yep if it was any lighter it would in fact be water but it looks like a pee. Foam is also as expected with a pretty decent lace ring.

S - Corn, corn, corn.

T - Well it does have a musky hop bite and it's not terribly skunked in flavor. Enjoyable in a Rolling Rock Sort of way. Ow yeah CORN!

M - Has a light body that one could session the hell out of.

Overall not something I would seek out might pick this up since it's around 15 bucks for a 30 pack.

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This pours a foamy pee color—light yellow with lazy bubbles. There’s a light corn malt aroma with the classic smell of adjuncts. It’s not offensive but not terribly appealing either. The flavor starts off about as crisp and clean and it’s going to get—keep it cold—and rapidly falls off with a harsh, musty finish. About everything I expected from this one.

2.81/5  rDev 0%

many people I have encountered are hating on the Hamm's. I have to say, for what it is, it is good. I like the fact that I have the ability to enjoy high end craft beers, homebrew, and Hamm's! all beer styles have that one beer that is the Platonic Ideal, and as far as American Lagers go, Hamm's is the one for me. Not as sweet as PBR and lighter feeling than Stag. Hamm's is a go to beer when you want to drink up American History.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Well...here it is...Hamm's... a sixer of pints for under 4 bucks. Great bargain basement lager.

Not much to say about the look, smell and taste...pretty typical of the adjunct lager style...nothing dreadful. Some sweet corn...light on hops and malt. But certainly no ill after taste to mention, which speaks highly for the style.

One thing that might put this one a notch above other adjuncts is the mouthfeel...pretty smooth and easy to drink. A good hot weather beer if you're on a budget.

"An American classic...born in the land of sky blue waters". Nice job Hamms!

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

Was surprised to see a sixer of Hamms pounders in a beverage store here in ME. I have not seen hamms in many years in this part of the country. The price seemed a bit high for what I remember as a value brand, but what the hell may not come around again.

Hamms is typical american adjunct lager, reminiscent of Coors banquet in its sweet, yet subtle flavor. Light, watery and very drinkable, no off flavors or smells but after a few I could sense a coating of tongue "bum breath" settling in. I think hamms holds its own esp since normally it is about cheaper than anything else around but has a solid drinkability. Still prefer ballantine, banquet, or schlitz as my go to adjuncts but hamms is certainly a very good choice when on a budget.

Sulfur and soft malt and some lingering yeast character.
Brilliantly clear very pale straw. Head is very white and fizzy sounding. Settles out rather quickly.
Shoot of sweet corn flavor up front, but a soft feel throughout. Pale malt is very soft and dominated by the adjunct. Mild, but noticeable dryness on the finish and it lingers. Full carbonation. Not much hopping.
Very easy drinking. A little too sweet for my tastes and a bit of strong on the adjuncts. I suppose it hits style fairly well. Can do for a lawnmower beer.

1.91/5  rDev -32%

This beer is as generic as it gets. Originally from MN (the land of sky blue waters) and heavily advertised back in the day. Great commericals of the northwoods boundary waters area. The cartoon bear is a classic. Unfortunately the beer is akin to water and smells/tastes like dried up grass.

However you can a 30 pack for about $15. Great for partying on the cheap side or lazily tubing down a river where the means is to get good and buzzed.

If you enjoy drinking it because of the cool classic commericals then go for it. Otherwise PBR is a superior alternative.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz can into tulip

Look is gold-orange, clear with some rising bubbles. Smell is spicy corn, grain. Taste is metallic corn, grain, rice. feel is light, with some malty thickness. highly drinkable.

Decent amount of taste, albeit cooked grain adjunct taste. That being said, if you drink this excessively, plan on waking up with a massive headache. I consider this a dirty beer. Union-made, but dirty.

If I could rate this lower I would. By FAR the WORST beer I've had! The taste is the equivalent to a In Heat Wheat by Flying Dog head. I just get hit with wheat and awfulness, just a BAD beer, again if I could rate this lower I would, it;s just that awful.

2.9/5  rDev +3.2%

One of tens of brands which were widespread in the 1950s, but has nearly dissapeared from the scene. I think its time is due. Part of a 12 pack which I bought at BevMo for $7.99, on to the beer:

Light orange/golden color, topped with a soapy head, slowly dissolving to a thin lace and a few dotsof lace. It's usual American lager in the nose. It's steeley, has some grain sweetness, and a touch of boiled corn.

Its taste is noticably smoother than its aroma. There seems to be a decent amount of malt in this adjunct lager, which was unexpected. Somewhat sweet, not overly cloying. Steeley character is minor. A whisper of hops make their way in and out. The body is light, provides some crispness, and is rather easy to drink without being very offensive.

In conmparison to the more mainstream lagers, Hamm's looks pretty good. Better and cheaper, a double win. Just don't confuse this with a Sam Adams.

There is not a whole lot to say about this beer. Cost is appropriate. And of course expected results are met. I mean, really, this is a simple beer. Clean of any technical flaws for sure. Just not memorable. Great for summer sun re-hydration or kayaking trips.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Eric for hooking me up with a can of this. My bottom of the barrel ticks would be zero without your efforts to keep me in check.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pub glass. The brew appear a light straw yellow color with an eruption of carbonation that forms more than a finger and a half of white head. The cap maintains fairly decent for the style with larger than normal bubble pattern. A close inspection reveals the smallest amount of particulate that keeps the brew from having polished clarity.

The aroma has a zesty faint hop aspect that is mildly herbal and mixed with a sulfur touch. There is a mild sweetness, somewhat cheesy with a fruity ester to almost bubblegum quality but the herbal aspect is surprisingly in the forefront and is the leading characteristic of the very mild nose overall.

The taste has a little bit more sweetness than the aroma led on. It has a grainy sweet quality that mixes with a bit of fruity/bubblegum ester. Whereas the bit of herbal component in the nose was the leading character, it is all but missing in the flavor. A sulfur character brings up the back with a bit of cheesy quality.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I dont know if it is the hot weather or lack of having a beer for awhile but I found this one to go down fairly easy considering the style. With the assortment of other mass produced products in this classification, you could do worse. If given the option of nothing but BMC products, I would probably choose this one over them.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Literally the very edge of the " cheap " corner of a beer shelf. Hamm's brings virtually nothing to the table in terms of anything. A transparent piss yellow color, With your average lager smell. Taste was slightly less appealing than Bud Light and the mouthfeel was all fizzy and carbonation. But, At $13.45 a 30 pack you can't really pass it up if you want to get a few people drunk for very cheap, Although I'd shell out a little bit extra for some Milwaukee's or Some Pabst. As a matter of fact, I washed this beer down with a Pabst

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.