Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

3.2

3.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A - Typical yellow-amber and clear, about two fingers of white head. Medium-low lacing.

S - Smells much like you'd expect from it. Some earthiness, grassiness, hops, and barley. Nothing crazy.

T - Actually better than I would expect for $17 out the door for a 30-pack. All the general tastes of an American adjunct, but pretty well put-together. Just seems a little less offensive than others and doesn't have that icy chewiness I might associate with Busch Light, for example.

M - Maybe because it's the regular rather than the light, it seems relatively smooth. I've had worse aftertastes.

O - I just may have found a new go-to cheap beer for buying en masse.

3.39/5  rDev +23.7%

As a joke, I picked this up from a local beer store, along with Bell's Two-Hearted and a BA Rasputin. $9.99 for a 30 pack. How bad can it be at that price point. It makes the other purchases average out in my mind.

Expections were low, but I have to say this is as good as anything AB, Miller, or Coors puts out. If I was a college kid looking to get my buzz on, this would be a winner. At 30 cents a can with a 4.7 ABV, you could throw a major party with little money and make lots of new friends.

Bottom line, it is what it is. A cheap beer for people on a budget that is no worse than any of the bigger names with lots of advertising money.

3.38/5  rDev +23.4%

Hamm's is better than you might expect if you're looking for a very cheap beer (under $7 for a 12-pack). There isn't anything overly special about this beer, but it is more flavorful than other cheap light beers. The drinkability is high because there isn't a significant amount of taste... it is easy to drink A LOT of these at once. Give Hamm's a try... it isn't the worst beer around.

3.37/5  rDev +23%

For around $10 for a 30 pack you shouldn't be expecting a beer that is anything extraordinary. It's very drinkable though and is my new go to beer for where I'm just going for quantity and not quality. Tastes good, comparable to the rest of the beers in it's class and it might actually be better than most of them.

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%

Looks the same going in as it does coming out: off-yellow and a bit opaque (chunky). Smells like a truck stop bathroom floor, recently doused in trucker urine. Tastes the way I would imagine a viking feels before he pillages an innocent coastal village. Feels like doing battle in valhalla whilst reciting epic war poems. Overall: if you're looking for a beer that's cold wet and clear, made from the land of sky blue waters, Reach for a Hamm's!

3.33/5  rDev +21.5%

Presentation/Appearance: I'll be honest, I drank this straight from the can. The can has a neat retro look and the packaging is less generic than most of the mass-produced domestic light beers.

Smell: Not much on the nose, but there is a slight corn aroma.

Taste: The flavor profile is thin compared to most craft beer, but decent compared to most light domestics. It's watered down and metallic tasting, but still somewhat grainy.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and heavily carbonated. Obviously meant to be drunk very cold.

Drinkability: There's not much flavor, but what is there is not too unpleasant. This is about all you can ask of adjunct lagers, and it gives Hamm's a higher drinkability rating than many of its peers.

Notes: This beer is great for what it is. It's an excellent alternative to most of the macro adjuncts out there, in terms of both price and flavor. In this way, I would liken it to PBR, which I am a fan of. Think of it as PBR's kid brother, looking up to and aspiring to be PBR.

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm from Louisiana and upon doing some research, because at this time I am into trying the American lagers just to experience all the beers that the older people around me talk about. Well this beer wasn't available apparently in my home state for a few decades and it randomly came back when I began doing the cheap American beer tastings and it was $4.79 for a six pack of 16oz cans and today I went in to the store and it was on sale for $1.99 for the same six pack of 16oz cans... quite the steal. The beer itself is actually pretty decent it's very comparable to say a Schlitz or something like that. It's a very decent beer especially with that new sale price!

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i had the is the other day at the beer because it was on special for $2.00 otherwise i would not have ordered it i think its smilliar to High ligh life or Pbr. i think its a good beer if you want to Drink a few beers for a cheep price i would buy it again if its on special but not for more that 2 bucks

3.31/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Straw color, clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Fairly nice head.

Aroma:
Cooked corn, grains, a little metallic.

Taste:
Sweet grain, a little grassy, crisp bitterness, just a touch of corn, slight dry finish. Light and watery, very crisp, well carbonated.

3.31/5  rDev +20.8%

A= pours a clean yellow color with a nice big overcarbonated head on it that suprisingly holds some pretty nice retention and lacing on the side of the glass. Actually decent looking. A lot like high life with the head.

S= Smells like beer. Just like any adjunct lager you get a little grain and a little yeast.

T= The taste is nothingness. It's got a very very slight sweetness to it otherwise water. Really odd.

M= unexpectedly smooth and clean.

D= Not a bad AL. I actually sort of like it a little. It was cheap as balls and taste like nothing. I would buy this again if I wanted to get smashed.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Perfectly clear pale golden body with a fluffy white head that melts quickly into a skim of foam. The nose is pure corny grits with no discernable hops present at all. The taste is better than the smell, still a lot of corniness but more dry than most adjunct lagers with a faint suggestion of hop bitterness in the mostly squeaky clean finish. Light bodied and easy drinking. I was looking for a new cheap lawnmower beer to replace the old discontinued schlitz cans, I think I found it.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Do you see how I rated this beer? 3.3 on the Richter Scale. I mean, good grief, give this beer a break. In 1964 when I first drank this "mother's milk" I would have rated it 3.3. It hasn't changed, thank goodness. This is the type of beer that my grandpa and dad drank when coming in from lawn mowing. Push mower I might add. Sheeesh, let's get with the program my friends and honor the name cherished by millions of teenagers in the middle 60's. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, and always will be.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

Served from a 16 ounce can into a shaker pint. October 2013 freshness date. A moderate pour produces a billowy 3/4 inch head that quickly recedes but leaves some nice patchy lacing in the center with a more substantial ring along the perimeter. The beer is a pale straw color and moderately carbonated.

I don't get much in the nose alone, but mine isn't very sensitive. I get a bit more by sniffing the can, where some light malt and a kiss of hops comes through a bit. The light hops and pale malt produce somewhat of a very light citrus character to go along with a little bit of corn mash to produce a quite refreshing brew, with plenty of pungent burpiness.

Hamm's was once a great name- in it's day the brand was practically synonymous with beer in certain parts of the upper midwest. My earliest memories are of it on draft at a certain 3.2 joint in Minnesota in the 70s. It had a reputation as a shitty beer by then, but it always had its devotees too. I think its a fine beer for the price- 3.99 for a six pack of pounders at my local C-store.

Update, July 31, 2015: I just bought a 30 pack of these bad boys for $17.28- that's 57.6 cents per can.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Eric for hooking me up with a can of this. My bottom of the barrel ticks would be zero without your efforts to keep me in check.

Poured from a 12oz can into a pub glass. The brew appear a light straw yellow color with an eruption of carbonation that forms more than a finger and a half of white head. The cap maintains fairly decent for the style with larger than normal bubble pattern. A close inspection reveals the smallest amount of particulate that keeps the brew from having polished clarity.

The aroma has a zesty faint hop aspect that is mildly herbal and mixed with a sulfur touch. There is a mild sweetness, somewhat cheesy with a fruity ester to almost bubblegum quality but the herbal aspect is surprisingly in the forefront and is the leading characteristic of the very mild nose overall.

The taste has a little bit more sweetness than the aroma led on. It has a grainy sweet quality that mixes with a bit of fruity/bubblegum ester. Whereas the bit of herbal component in the nose was the leading character, it is all but missing in the flavor. A sulfur character brings up the back with a bit of cheesy quality.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I dont know if it is the hot weather or lack of having a beer for awhile but I found this one to go down fairly easy considering the style. With the assortment of other mass produced products in this classification, you could do worse. If given the option of nothing but BMC products, I would probably choose this one over them.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

"From the land of sky blue waters, waters." This BMC-equivalent was enjoyed at Margie's Bar in Eveleth, MN, after a week of canoeing in the Boundary Waters. Smells like weak malt. Tastes watered down. And it's dirt cheap. What's not to love about Hamms? Heck, try this beer for the old-time commercials only. Believe me, you're not drinking Hamms for the taste.

Enjoy!

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

My score is based off of other beer in this category. Its cheap swill that isn't all that bad. 30 packs by me are about 12 and change. It's one of my go to cheap beers to fill the fridge. Best served ICE COLD.

3.27/5  rDev +19.3%

12 oz can with a stamp on the bottom of SEP1409, not sure if that is a canning date or best by. Pours a crystal clear medium color with a white foam only a motherly Sprite could love. If you blink, you'll miss it.

Adjuncts, what smells like corn, is very evident in the nose along with a sweet, slightly sour light maltiness. Nothing to write home about, but is does not smell bad...fairly fresh and clean.

The taste is pretty neutral with cereal grains and a mild, but noticeable, hop bitterness on the finish. This beer does a nice job of keeping the sweetness to a minimum for the style. Not a bad AAL, I could drink a couple of these without much of a problem.

3.27/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid. All of a sudden there it is at my local store for $10.80 a case. At that price, seriously, why not? I'll just break it out on poker night and even if it's absolutely dreadful, it'll still get finished off. I'll grab this 12'er of Lagunitas IPA for the 'house', just in case...

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden with a thick white head that disappears quickly and leaves some delicate lacing. Looks okay. The lacing is actually pretty elegant looking.

Aroma is corn, a little grain, some grassiness. Typical for the style, nothing too terribly off-putting, but not the greatest smell either. Probably better left in the can.

Taste is very simple and straightforward, starts slightly sweet then fades into a swift corn/grain finish. Over and done like that (snaps fingers). Nothing off or bad tasting, but nothing stands out either. Super basic American lager.

Mouthfeel is also average for the style. Thin and light bodied, carbonation is average. Not too watery. Very drinkable. I could see losing count of how many of these I've had.

Overall this is just a slightly above average adjunct lager. I've had a few better, but I've had many worse. The aroma isn't the greatest, but I just had another one from the can and it was a non-issue. Hamm's is a perfectly cromulent session beer and actually an amazing value. I mean, $0.45/can for an actual drinkable beer? My overall rating takes this into consideration.

Update 9/7/13... Okay, fine. Hamm's has been our House Cheepniss all summer long. Probably on our 12th or 13th case at this point, and it's always in the fridge now for handing out by the armload to a bunch of guests, for keeping the whistle whetted in between precious glasses of hi-dolla craft, for pouring on the flareups when grilling burgers and for soaking the grilled brats until serving time, basically for all general "hey, it's beer" drinking purposes. One time I tried 'dry hopping' a can I was drinking with some Cascade pellet. Yeah, don't do that. Take it for what it is and it won't disappoint (much). Expect anything more and you're dumb.

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.