Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

3.01/5
Alströms:
3.2

3.25/5  rDev +8%

I've been on an Anti-Craft Beer kick as of late. I'm tired of the bizarre combinations of fruits, candy, coffees and teas in my beer. And lately I find myself just wishing I had a good old fashioned lager to drink. Hamm's comes in pretty close. I wouldn't call it a great beer by any means. But it is just beer, no fruits, no pure sours, no extreme hops, just plain old beer and that's all I wanted. So when I found the local Kroger selling 30 packs for $12 I decided, what the hell, and I have not regretted my decision. I definitely would rank it above Miller, Bud, PBR and Coors as far a flavor profile goes. The only downside, like most domestic beers these days, I need a dozen just to get a buzz.

3.25/5  rDev +8%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

3.25/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I don't drink a lot of AAL's but this one is decent. Its sweet and has the standard adjunct taste but there is more here than a Bud Light or Coors. Also no sprite carbonation just a smooth feel.

3.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light, clear ginger ale color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma of clean grain and slightly floral hops.

Taste is very clean, this is a well made beer, managing to be flavorful without the heaviness in the middle that some AALs seem to have. Flavor is not really malty nor is it grainy but a blend of the two in a way that neither conflict but sing as a duet. I don't detect much in the way of hops yet there is a bit of floral something in the aftertaste that finishes things nicely.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

When it comes to AALs this one is firing on all cylinders.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, I am updating my rating from last time... I do not know if I had a skunked batch, or what, but Hamm's is really not too bad for being the cheapest brew (12 pack) at the local liquor store. Decent taste and drinkability have made this one of my new 'Summer Beers'.

3.23/5  rDev +7.3%

I bought a 24-pack of this from QuikTrip in St. Charles, MO. for $9.99. Enjoyed many of these and now reviewing one of the last couple... Poured from the 12 FL. OZ. Can into a Sky High (Como) pint glass and has OCT 03 11.

Aroma- Small amount of malts and grainy. Very sweet and has the average corn-like aroma too.

Appearance- Pours less than 1 finger head that dies quickly. The body is a pale straw color and has good clarity. Leaves almost no lacing behind.

Flavor- Very crisp, sweet, and has a good balanced taste all around! This one changed my mind about adjuncts I've never had before. No bitterness at the finish but everything else is above average for the style.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, High Carbonation, Smooth, and has a carbonic bite on the tongue.

Overall- What a great brew from Wisconsin! Awesome adjunct and can't believe I haven't seen this sooner. Haven't bought a pack of beer over 6 in more than months. Always cool seeing new beer on the gas station scene. Prost!

3.23/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

16oz Tallboy
$3.99 6-Pack
West Side Liquors - Morris, IL

Hamm's is straw golden with 100% clarity. The pure white head, surprisingly hangs around for a while which is notable since most macros fizzle away in no time. Points. There's even a spot or two of lace left on the glass.

Light but semi-sweet maltiness make up the body. Grain and corn together but indistinguishable. I've never sat and pondered a Hamm's before but there's actually a touch of grassy hoppiness in the background and it's clean. Nice, for what it is.

Semi-sweet, but indistinguishable, maltiness is the major factor here. There is crisp graininess though with none of the ho-hum mediocrity of the big guys. There's a touch of floral quality on the finish but keep in mind when I say 'touch' I mean 'barely noticeable'.

The body is light and the carbonation is active enough to keep this beer moving at a considerable rate. A clean finish wraps things up.

Hamm's is made for drinking. Of all the American lagers out there this and Schlitz tussle for king of the mountain. If you noticed in my review I mentioned how clean and grainy this beer is, just as I think it should be. For what this beer is it's respectable.

3.22/5  rDev +7%

A: Well, okay. I have to admit, I'm drinking this out of a can. Seriously, who pours Hamm's into a glass? Not me! Up the punx! ;) But it's your typical American lager. That's what it looks like. Nothing special.

S: This beer has a kind of sweet smell to it. Pleasant, for sure. Not exceptional, but makes it that much more exciting to drink!

T: One of the better cheap-ass domestic beers out there, I think. A little bit of bitter citrus and a sweet, bready finish. I could throw these back all night if I wanted to.

M: Feels "cheap." Really "fluffy."

D: Once again, I could drink Hamm's all night. It's not the best beer in the world, but for what it is - a cheap American lager - it's definitely pretty good. It doesn't taste as much like hair as Pabst. It's not as watery as Olympia. It's just a decent, drinkable beer.

3.22/5  rDev +7%

12 oz. can, from a 12-pack bought at the local BevMo for $5.99,

A: Pours a light, yellow colour from the can, into a mug, nice white head at first, but bad retention, no lacing, big bubbles.

S: Smells of light corn and malt, but fuller than most macros.

T: Tastes quite sweet from the malt and obvious corn adjuncts used, but it is not off-putting at all. A light flavour, that is a step up from the almost nothingness in taste that is today's mass-produced industrial lager, and I even tasted a bit of hops, the taste reminded me a lot of Schlitz.

M: Bubbly, light, a tad insipid, but it could be worse.

D: One of the better macros I've had, and cheaper than BMC to boot. A good choice if you're short on cash, but wan't a beer.

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I can remember the TV adds for this beer back in the 70's. One of my northern trucker buddies brought be a six of this since I haven't seen any since the mid 70's. Brings back memories. Very impressive head, three fingers of dense foam, with much lace and cling. Clear with lots of micro bubbles, a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell brings be back to days of camping in Michigan, aromas of cereal grains, a slight floral array, and a wisp of lime. Taste is not quite what I remember from the 70's but it is not bad. Lime in the fringes, wheat, oats and malt in the forefront. Mouthfeel is thin but helped by the massive carbonation. Great for old time sake, brings back lots of good memories when I taste a mouthful.

look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 can BB 7/3/17 poured into a Hamm's chalice at fridge temp. The beer is golden straw colored and bright. White head is short lived with no lacing. Aroma is faint but typical sweet corn. Taste follows aroma with a sweetish corn start followed by a legitimate hop bitterness to balance. Mouthfeel is typical to style with a little oily/soapy coating after swallowing, but it's minimal compared to most. Overall, good AAL. Exactly what you want when you just want a cold beer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tall boy can - six pack for $4.00! Pours straw yellow - a shade darker than the average American Adjunct Lager. Foamy white head, lingers for a bit then stays as a thin wispy lace on top of the beer. Aromas is faint hops and cornbread - again, a bit above average for the style. Taste - Bready with a corn tinge, hops are definitely apparent but very light - very clean flavor profile - crisp and refreshing. Overall, just a touch better than many of its more famous competitors - given that this is one of the cheapest beers out there ,it is not bad for what it is. would choose over Coors, Bud, or Pabst.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a recent addition to the lineup here in my area. I have heard of this beer but never had a chance to try it.

While certainly not groundbreaking, this is a very solid everyday quaff. Chicken wings and potato chips, spicy jalapeno with nachos, large Italian sausage pizzas covered with cheese.... these are the things made for this beer. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. I picked up a case for round 15 bucks. I can see myself drinking this one around the pool this summer.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 12oz can. "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain and hops." adorns the can. No identifiable freshness date, but there is a batch number.

Appearance: Pours a nice frothy white, two finger head that quickly settles to a thin lace. The clear liquid is a very pale, straw yellow.

Smell: Light hops, grain and a metallic edge in the aroma.

Taste: This light-bodied brew is immediately crisp and freshing with a smack of lemon in its gentle hop bite. Notes of salt also come into play as the brew dries with a nice crispness. Grain flavours follow with a thin, but even, sweetness. I can also pick-up on an addition of corn as the beer warms. The beer finishes with metallic and grain flavours with some dryness to it.

Notes: This is a damn fine "Union Made" beer, and certainly better than its more marketable brethren. It's simple and easy to drink, but the best part is its $2.99 a 6-pak price tag.

3.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours that ubiquitous clear golden yellow. The head was a towering 3 fingers of white. The head lingers much longer than Rolling Rock did, and leaves legs of lacing on the glass. Nose is basically non existent. Just a slight cereal mustiness. No corn or DMS. The flavor is fairly neutral. No one thing is strong positive or negative. It's a bit of cereal grain, but with the sweetness balanced out. This is an easy drinker with a decent body for an AAL. I can see those that are sweet averse enjoying this more than most AAL's. Body is middle of the road being neither watery or chewy. Finishes slightly dry. Overall I'd probaby rate this just below High Life in the rankings of AAL's I've sampled this weekend. It's a viable option if your looking for an beer that isn't going to be challenging to drink, but still contains enough flavor to be interesting.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I believe this is the best cheap beer out there, at $12.19 a thirty it's an unbelievable value for me, way above Stag, PBR, or Milwaukee's best (witch I tend to consume in high volume). It's no craft beer by any means, but for a classic American beer this is a home run for me.

a re-review.
i felt the need to re-review this beer because it's now $10 a 30 pack locally...making it almost the cheapest macro selection around. i usually chose high life, but oddly i've been swilling this stuff lately.

hamm's pours out clear and quite light golden, with a minimal head that dies quickly. practically no lace. the aroma is grainy and grassy; not obnoxiously of cheap adjuncts, but more pleasant. the taste follows suit, the grain/grass combination really asserts itself and the hopping really can be noted. while the maltiness is noticeably thin and watery, it still tastes fairly refreshing. i would rate it slightly higher in drinkability, just becasue it doesn't taste bad. those macro drinkers who like the neutral flavors of anheuser-busch will be offended by the character of this beer. but i'm not. while drinking this beer, i think about growing up in the land of sky blue waters, and how our minnesota forefathers appreciated this beer while engaging in their favorite leisurely pastimes.

a side note...my favourite beer glass, which i sample most of my beers in, is a classic hamm's pint schooner. oh, the nostalgia....

3.19/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving: can, from the can
Served: 24 August 2013

Appearance: Had this one at a party directly from the can, so I can't say that I actually saw the beer itself. Not a terrible looking can though. For cheap adjunct lager, however, I must say that PBR takes the crown.

Smell: Smells similar to PBR- light and corny, which some malt discernible through the sweetness. Very uncomplicated and 'beery'.

Taste: Actually not too shabby. This one, though rated much lower than PBR, didn't taste much better or worse than it. For a cheap go-to party beer, this is definitely a step up from the BMC light options, since I could actually taste something of the beer even though it was in an ice bath.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Makes the beer supremely drinkable.

Overall: Truly not a terrible option for a cheap, easily drinkable beer for social events where drinking for taste is not the primary goal. This would be a good option for college parties, tailgates, and other social events where you want an unassertive crowd pleaser that is a step up from ice-cold light lagers.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

After a long career of good and bad, and an appreciation for all, I finally get a crack at Hamm's. It pours a clean and inviting bright gold with a bubbly white head that decided not to stick around. It has a light, sweet grain and corn like aroma with a pinch of freshly cut grass. The flavor is mostly corn. I've never tasted straight corn syrup, but I'd imagine that it tastes about the same as this, just maybe a little sweeter. The feel is exceptionally dry once its sweetness resides. Overall, I'd say on all accounts, this beer is about exactly what I expected. An all day, everyday drinker at the beach or camping. Perhaps not my favorite of the AAL's available to me, but will I drink it again? Absolutely...I've still got 5 more of the six pack! Cheers!

3.19/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

as to what amounts to 'bout fifty-eight pennies a 12 FL. OZ. 355 ml, and hey besides, i'm unemployed (since dec 2K16) and this is a tasty full american beer, thank goodness, that pours fine into a glass (of any shape, of any size) or, as i am enjoying it now, directly from metal can to hungry beer lipped taste receptors.
me likes hamms and will always 'cause the stuff just tastes good, gall'darnit.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 8.7% out of 100 with 837 ratings