Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 272 | Ratings: 771
3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

3.88/5  rDev +38.1%

Dim sun yellow. Thick and frothy white head. Great retention and some apeasing lace is left as well. Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Not off putting by any means. Very agreeable taste. Mild malts. Sweet wort like graininess. A touch of hop dryness...I think. Body is heft for a macro. I'd call it medium to medium-full. One of the better macros I've had in a long time.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

3.85/5  rDev +37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For the standard weekend beer drinker/tailgater/griller/warm-blooded human etc. like 99% of us (i.e. not a pretentious beer snob or hobby brewer) this is a no brainer. Got the refreshing taste, look, and feel of a light American pilsner (i.e. Miller lite) but at nearly 5% ABV it'll keep you in your chair feeling kozy. Plus back in the day (the day when I was conceived) they had the coolest commercials (Google it). And (this may turn off some of you) it's from da land of da Packers so it can't be bad. At $12 a case it's well worth trying next time you want some refreshing beer that you don't have to think about or evaluate it's place in society. For what it is and doesn't try to be I give it 4.5/5. Good luck finding a better value alternative.

3.85/5  rDev +37%

I like this beer a lot, It's real, It's not expensive, It taste like a beer should taste. I've tried a great deal of different types of "beer" Some go way overboard and add funky flavors or way too much hops, But getting back to basics this to me is an almost perfect beer! Now some of you like the girly flavored beers, and that's ok , but that's not real beer, this is. Also just so you know I do like other beers such as Stella, Guinness Stout, Boulevard , (but not the IPA), dos equis, and many others, I'm not a beer snob, but when I like a beer that is good regardless of price I'll be as honest as I can going with my taste preferences.

3.84/5  rDev +36.7%

Hamm's has been my go to budget beer when in need of large quantities of beer on the cheap. A "Dirty 30" of Hamm's retails for under $15 which is an outstanding deal. Great for serving guests after they have drank your more expensive brews.

Hamm's has a light golden color, lightly carbonated and drinks smoothly. Hamm's is very similar to Miller High Life & Grain Belt Premium in terms of appearance and smell, however Hamm's has a distinct hop flavor that makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience. Hamm's is a no nonsense blue collar beer that satisfies again and again.

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

I drank it from a can but I already know what it looks like - classic pale gold of its kind.
The smell was lacking, didn't have much of one.
The taste was a surprise. I was expecting something poor or watery but it has a decent, almost bitter flavor. Not watery.
Moderate carbonation, it's no Miller but it's not flat. Almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, I'm not disappointed, for the price and flavor, it's similar to a Miller High Life, and that's one of my favorite go-to beers. And I think I'll have a Hamm's again.

Edit as of 2/13/2016
I have not come across a beer with the taste and quality of Hamm's with the price to match. This is my every day go to beer. I think this is the beer for me.

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%

Gold color with a little bit of prickle. Almost full coverage of lacing and a rim of foam. Lots of grain on the nose, but it stays in balance with the malt. Grainy attack with some mild hops in the flavor but dominated by the grain. Finishes with some graininess in true "premium lager" fashion. Good for the style. The style being what is often sold as "cold beer."

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer!

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops.

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

3.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Pours clear gold with a big white head and some minor lacings.

Aroma is corny with some floral hops.

Taste is American macro all the way but more flavor than most. Some detectable hops.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Drinkability is better than average. One of my favorite US macros.

3.68/5  rDev +31%

Hamm’s has a very thick, white head (which overflowed in my tasting glass) and a clear, yellow-golden appearance, with lots of bubbles streaming up and little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of clean water, mildly-roasted grains, and a dash of hop bitterness. The taste is essentially identical to that, with some overall sweetness associated as well. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Hamm’s finishes crisp, refreshing and dry. Overall, this is a good, typical American-style lager. I think it holds its own against others of its ilk.

RJT

3.68/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(poured into a red wine glass, after letting can sit out for 7-8 minutes... this is the first time I can remember ever seeing this in any stores on the east coast - the guy behind the counter said it's 'new', they just got it in)

L: sunny yellow liquid with a tinge of cheap gold... poured firm to create head, and it does hold for a few seconds longer than I'd expect

S: a German yeast?!? - smells a tad like a helles... sweet grain, wet stone, dried grass and flowers... overall, pleasant for its kind - peculiarly reminiscent of a German pils... sub-medium overall potency

T: colder, it tastes like any other AAL... noticeably dry in the finish, but with a tiny residual sweetness, penny-like metallic hint in the aftertaste... mildly grassy, (uric) acid notes in aftertaste as well... the malt flavor has a slight husk-y edge... mild bitterness on tongue tip, lingers mid-palate

F: smooth, somewhat flat across the palate... almost medium-bodied, hardly watery... vaguely doughy residual feel... not extremely refreshing

O: land of sky blue waters, huh?... this is one of the better ones when poured into a glass; slightly more meat on its bones than the lot, and I'm digging the German notes in its taste - a few steps toward a helles?... I could drink a bunch of these

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

A- Pours a 1.5 finger bright white head. In a matter of about a minute, it dissipates into an ultra thin cap. The body is piss yellow and crystal clear.

S- Some malty sweetness is present with notes of apple and lime/citrus notes. There is a minute graininess and a touch of adjunt in the nose as well.

T- Starts off very clean with notes of light melon, and a thin graininess. The finish is a touch drier than the start and retains some of the malt (melon) notes.

M- Medium Carbonation works well. Ultra clean on the palatte

D- This ranks in at 5 and change % by volume so it's very drinkable. I usually pick PBR over this but for 11.99/case, you can't go wrong. Best enjoyed from the can, although the review was from a glass.

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

Drank from a one pint/16 fl. oz. (473ml) can purchased at Hillside Wine & Spirits, Medford, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, golden yellow color. A flimsy, one-finger crown of bright white froth topped the liquid, but it quickly dissipated to a thin ring.

Dry, powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma. Grainy malts were detectible. There was a subtle sweetness as well. Overall, clean yet quite uneventful.

The flavor profile was clean and crisp with lots of tart lemon and wheaty notes. Decent malt presence. The malt profile was grainy and even perhaps slightly toasty. A touch of earthy hops came through on the semi-bitter finish. All in all, quite notable for the style.

The mouthfeel was solid as well. Medium-plus bodied. A fine and zippy effervescence gave the liquid a smooth, fluffy, creaminess.

Of the many adjunct lagers that I have tried lately, Hamm's ranks up there with the best of them. At around $6 a six-pack, you simply cannot find a better deal.

3.67/5  rDev +30.6%

Hands down the BEST AAL. The most consistent beer I've ever had in it's class. Most bang for your buck, $9.89 a 30-box here, and it actually tastes like beer. You Hipsters and Lumber-sexuals can have the PBR, just keep your greasy mustache wax off my fucking Hamm's.

3.66/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Puts other macro brews to shame. Yes, it's an AAL. But there's some hop bite in there and a soft almost-malty finish. At this price point, it's without peer.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

A: three finger head, wheat golden, very bubbly. decent head retention, not fantastic. little to no lacing

S: Weak smell. Pretty basic. Slightly bready or maybe biscutty

T: Very little taste I suppose, thought last night was at a tasting and the palate probably isn't really recovered. Leaves a bitter aftertaste on the front of the mouth, but not a hops bitterness

M: Thin, carbonated. Comparable to tonic water.

D: Easy, not much to stop you in terms of taste, just carbonation if that bothers you.

Poured from 12 oz. can into a stein.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Reviewing this for what it is, an inexpensive lawnmower beer. If you start with the macro brew idea firmly implanted you won't be disappointed. Drinkability is excellent because you won't notice the first 2 ,overall a better choice to me than Miller Lite or Bud for a softball game or the weekend fishing trip.

3.63/5  rDev +29.2%

Hamm’s is a solid beer and great for drinking when PBR and Schlitz aren’t available. It’s very bitter for the style, putting BMC brews to shame. The best part about drinking Hamm’s is that when you drink it, people watching all think, “Wow, now that’s a MAN!”…well, either that or, “Wow, now that’s a drunk!” Hamm’s appearance is very similar to its cousins PBR, Old Style, Schlitz, and Blatz. When you poor Hamm’s into a glass (which should always be frosted because Hamm’s in a frosted glass has no negative flavors what-so-ever) you will see that it has a two inch thick, frothy white head for nearly 1.3 seconds. After that the froth becomes a thin, glass clinging lace. The body is hydrated urine with tons of carbonation. Hamm’s has a great lightly hopped metallic aroma and really tells you that the slightest amount of malt just might be involved someplace in the beer. The taste is even better and makes it obvious that Hamm’s is only made with sky blue waters. There is even a little bit of grain in Hamm’s. The Mouthfeel is light and as aforementioned, bitter. It goes down really well. The only bad thing about Hamm’s is that it’s proudly made by Unions, which means that for every $8 you spend on a case, a penny or so is going to eliminate American jobs and ruin our economy. That’s just sad but overall, the strong points of Hamm’s more then make up for that one small down side.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Milwaukee's Best used to be the cheapest 30-pack on the market, but now Hamm's has the cheapest 30-pack in town. A 30-pack of Hamm's is under $12 (before tax and bottle deposit), and the taste is decent. I'd say it's very similar to Red Dog, Busch, and Milwaukee's Best.

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

From a 30pk case of cans, poured into a lager mug. Never really noticed until this last can of the case, this beer has a very dull gold color, drab.

Nice thick head, last for a bit. Heavy beer aroma, dissapated with the foam, slightly, slightly sweet.

Nice unassuming flavor, wheaty, small, but distinguishable taste of hops. Malty on the back of the tongue with a dry malt aftertaste. I could chug this down quite quickly. Easy to drink even as it warms.

Hamms the beer refreshing, great with a shot of brandy, pizza, steak, or any American fare. Have a beer, have a Hamms.

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from can into a mug.
Appearance: Considering this is a cheap man's beer it is suprisingly attractive. Nothing special but nothing disappointing. Decent head, and good color for this style.

Smell: The smell led me to believe that it was going to be a very bitter, very malty beer. Maybe that was just the aluminum can. Just a slight odor of hops.

Taste: WOW! Could not believe how good it tasted. Very balanced brew, that has a pretty nice crisp, hoppiness to it. Also has a bit of a "zing" to it, can't put my finger on it, but almost citrussy.

Mouthfeel: Good feel. Not overly carbonated like some of the macros.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt the most drinkable beer I have ever had. Goes down real nice. Especially when hittin the links.

Review: More of an IPA man myself, however this beer did not disappoint me in the least, especially considering the fact that a paid $6.49 for 12 pack. I can say without a doubt that for the money this is the best beer out there. Of course there is better beer out there, but if you want some cheap beer this the beer.

3.57/5  rDev +27%

This is my go-to beer when I need a fridge filler for relatives and friends. I have stocked other adjunct lagers in the past that I felt are better, but when your guests choose this over more expensive beer, I'm not going to argue.

The appearance is a light straw color that is transparent with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells like corn with a slight sweet malt presence, clean but overall not much to speak of. The taste is sweet with a light hop presence, refreshing with a slightly thicker mouth feel than a stereotypical adjunct lager. No skunk flavors with a nice finish and no real aftertaste.

Overall this is an adjunct lager and I cant say it is a great beer. It serves it's purpose as a refreshing lawnmower companion and makes my relatives feel welcome in my home. My rating for this beer is strictly style based receiving an elevated score because of price, 15 bucks for a thirty pack. It's not my favorite Adjunct, but it is the cheapest one I am willing to drink and beats BMC seven days a week.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.