Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor
Read the review
Hamm'sHamm's

Hamm's Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 253 | Ratings: 735

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

Since I'm from the land of sky blue waters I thought it was worth a shot as I really like the Hamms Genuine Draft..This is not a good macro lager, but it's not a horrible one either...It's drinkable...crisp and clean...some adjunct taste and smell (cornish)...I'm not sure how close this resembles the original Hamm's but it is not worth seeking out. I think the original Hamm's was a Coors/Olympia type lighter/thinner style lager....this one seems to have too much adjunct/corn taste to it...still it's not a horrible beer..This label I think was first sold to Pabst and now is in Miller's hands...

2.02/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My brother had this poured at a bar and I had a couple tastes because I hadn't had one in many years. Now I remember why. It doesn't come close to matching the craft beers I drink. It has a week look, week smell, no body, and no head. The only thing it has going for it is it actually can be classified as beer. Brothers shouldn't let brothers buy this stuff. Hamm's is not the beer you've been looking for.

2.08/5  rDev -26%

I bought a 40 of this and iced that baby up. It had a dirty corn taste, some sweet cereal malts and a little more body than your average cheap-o cruddy lager. It put a hurtin on me somethin' fierce though. Dull yellow in appearance, and almost no head. This one needs to get really cold before one should attempt it. Finish it quick before it warms up. A good accompaniment to Oreos, Cheatoz, bbq fritos, and honey-buns.

2.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer.

2.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Can. Yellow and fizzy and clear and urinesque. Smells like stale grains, old corn, cesspool water. Flavor is not as watery as some pale lagers but unfortunately the lack of wateriness is replaced with an abundance of cloying corn syrup and cereal. Finish is mineral and short. Yawn

2.17/5  rDev -22.8%

Really? A C+ Bros?

A pretty safe beer, but try it if you want to drink something that tastes kind of like a Bud Lite but want to keep your hipster cred.

Pours palest of yellows with a foamy white head and surprisingly little visible carbonation. Smells slightly musky with cooked veggies and very slight citrus.

Flavor is weak, a touch of lemon zest with just a hint of hop to give a baby bite to the flavor of this beer. More flavor than light beers that are glorified mineral water, but not too much to think about here either. Carbonated throughout, light and kind of refreshing, although some flavor and boldness could do a little good here.

2.18/5  rDev -22.4%

This is the beer that I go for on maybe a hot summer day. It's watery and basically tasteless, but it lacks the bad after taste of the many American breweries. This is like a refreshing "light" beer for thirst quenching although beer never really solves your thirst does it? Anyway it can be a little refreshing.

I remember the last time I purchased it was in a little town called Le Mars, Iowa on a Karaoke night. The farmers at the bar kinda booed me while the bartender shook my hand when I ordered a Hamms. I doubt if anybody there had tried an exotic beer other than Michelob dark. The crew obviously had a long running debate on Hamm'[s quality. You know the redneck types who argue whether Bud is better than Miller. LOL. That argument is tantamount to debating who's better Jeff Gillooly or joey buttafuoco.

Anyway if you drink a Hamms then listen to some George Jones. Nothing else will really do.

2.19/5  rDev -22.1%

“From the land of sky blue waters…” Apparently that’s Milwaukie these days.

16oz tallboy can from a 6-pk purchased at a local discount grocery store for $4.79. Easily the cheapest 6-pk I’ve bought for a long time, probably a couple of years.

Poured into a Jever pilsener glass, this was a chill-hazed gold color, with a big, sudsy, noisy, bone-white head that dropped fast and left remarkably small amounts of lace on the sides of the glass. Said head could be agitated back to life with minimal effort, but it dropped back down to a foamy skiff, pronto. Lots of tiny bubbles could be seen hurtling skyward.

Although it was done for absurdity more than anything else, the pour into a pilsener glass was not completely out of place. Although the primary scent was of crude graininess, there was a little bit of dry, grassy European hoppiness that wasn’t to be denied. It’s a minor note, however, and the nose remained dominated by the crude, overly sweet malt aroma.

Inoffensively bland, that’s the taste in a nutshell. Not as vegetable oil-tasting as some in the style, but I suspect that’s because I’m drinking it ice cold rather than any superiority over its style mates. Sweet malts dominate the taste, with barely a trace of the hops scented earlier. Slightly crisp finish, with a mild, sickly sweet grainy aftertaste.

Watery, yet not light. I suppose it’s pretty standard for the style, but it’s not what I would call good. It’s more like a pilsener with a little too much body.

About par for the course. This isn’t the worst American adjunct lager I’ve had, but there’s not much to stand out here. All in all, I’d rather have an Oly if drinking this style.

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Literally the very edge of the " cheap " corner of a beer shelf. Hamm's brings virtually nothing to the table in terms of anything. A transparent piss yellow color, With your average lager smell. Taste was slightly less appealing than Bud Light and the mouthfeel was all fizzy and carbonation. But, At $13.45 a 30 pack you can't really pass it up if you want to get a few people drunk for very cheap, Although I'd shell out a little bit extra for some Milwaukee's or Some Pabst. As a matter of fact, I washed this beer down with a Pabst

2.22/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to try something different from the macro world, so I picked up a 6-pack of 16-ounce Hamm's for under $5. Cheap as beer gets, I imagine. Very light straw color. White, bubbly head retains well — for the style. Sweet malt and adjunct smell. Not much else. Maybe esters. No skunk, at least (although I do have a high tolerance for it, and even prefer it in some beers). Grainy, very light rindy hop bitterness with bready finish. Less adjunct-forward and honey-like than a Dos Equis for example. Light-bodied with extremely sudsy carbonation, and a crisp finish. I won't be drinking the other 5 in a hurry. May share them with friends who don't really appreciate beer when they come over.

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

This was one of the first beers i had when i went off to college. I tried it as i had never heard of if and wanted to do something different than all my roommates who were Bud lovers. It's not an expensive beer, and it shows. The flavor is not great, but not terrible either. It had a light aroma, and a slightly chemical taste. There was little or no corn / hops flavor, and seemed kind of watery. Either way, i can't find it anymore, and Bud has taken it's space on the shelves, which pisses me off. Overall, not bad. If it was there, i'd drink it.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Good golly, here we go. Same look as most beers in this price catagory, reminds me of a headache. The smell actually gives me one (or was it the truckload of beer i had last night?). Either way, you are getting what you pay for with this one, a buzz. Taste is not great. Better priced than some of the other shitty beers however. All in all Not sweet.

2.27/5  rDev -19.2%

This pours from 12oz can a light gold with a smallish head of foam that doesn't hang around very long and there's just a wee bit of lacing.

The smell is very strongly of corn and sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is all sweet malt and corn. A few more sips in and there's some citrusy hops, mostly lemon, in the background that is most noticeable near and through the finish but I can't say it does a good enough job to save this beer from a short and less than stellar review from yours truly.

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

Still in the airport. Flight still delayed. Let's try this random adjunct. Localish/regional pilsner. Poured by the bartender into a silly Sam Adams perfect pint tulip. Didn't leave the can.

A: Fairly pale yellow body with 2-3 fingers of sudsy head. Water clear. Thin coat of head by about 2 minutes. Wasn't expecting any miracles. Didn't see any. No red flags, though.

S: Corn. Grainy sweetness. Faint malt. Grass. It is what it is, I suppose. Less than appealing, but not grossly offensive.

T: Very sweet with corn and biscuit notes. Some light bitterness on the finish. Sweetness is cloying. This is declining as it goes... My mouth tastes peculiarly of salt water about half-way down the glass. Now the metallic flavors are creeping in... Not good. Finished the glass though.

M: Prickly, moderately high carbonation. No surprises here. Standard american adjunct feel. Kinda club soda.

O: Ordered this for fun. Honestly, I wasn't expecting more than I received. I'd rather have a Bud. I would like to see how it drinks out of the can.

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a very transparent pale straw color with a quickly dissipating white head. Doesn't smell like much, but its the typical corn smell. The taste also doesn't break the adjunct lager mold. You can taste the grain corn and alcohol. mouthfeel is thin, with soda carbonation. There is nothing offensive about this beer, but of course there isn't anything offensive in water, so it makes sense.

2.28/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger thin off white head that fizzles down very fast. No retention or lace. Color is the basic clear straw yellow.

Aroma is skunky and grainy. Nothing too pleasing. Taste is very similar; very skunky. Some low end malts as well.

Mouthfeel is super crisp and overcarbonated. Ends with a slightly sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is just another macro lager that is cheap and nothing exciting. I don't plan on drinking this again unless it is free.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a huge head, I mean huge, three fingers, it's lasting longer than I thought it would, but I'm sure it will be gone in no time. The body is completely see through, damn this is see through, this might be the most see through beer yet, and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of carbonation, and surprisingly, the beer looks like it is leaving good lacing, I'm in awe. Even though I can here the head fizzing away, the appearance actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean the body is atrocious, but the head has some good qualities. Unlike Coors and Coors light, you can smell a little hops on the nose, very very small, but still there. Other than that there is a malt sweetness and a sour adjunct smell. Not horrible again on the smell, but for sure not up to par with any "good" beer. The taste is pretty crappy, there is mostly just sweet, almost stale malt taste here. There is the smallest hop taste, but nothing really there. Very watery, I mostly just get that gross cheap malt taste. On one hand, it has more of a flavor than Coors and Coors light, but it's not a good flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty bad, but not as bad as the Coors light. It has some girth to it, but for the most part it is just watery. The drinkability is the one great thing about this beer, it just goes down like no other, it is super light, and now that I drink it more, that flavor that I thought it had has kinda gone, and it's all subdued, so I makes it easier to drink. Overall on this beer, eh, ok for an adjunct lager, the beer changes a lot as you drink it, gross in some ways, smooth in some other ways.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A: poured a light straw yellow typical of a macrobrewed lager style.
S: has a fruity grainy off-yeast aroma bringing a good traditional lager smell but has a typical American lager smell in the back of the nose.
T: this is wherethe beer goes downhill. The taste is similar to mainstream macros light filler malt flavoring with very slight bittering.
M/D: highly carbonated light body feel. The drinkability is ok considering the taste and feel.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a crystal clear light straw color with a half finger of loose white head that fizzles out quickly. no lacings.

aroma is of grain and a possible distant note of floral yeast or hops. the grain is stale in character, and holds no sweetness or richness.

taste is of light malt and grain up front, with a crisp and clean finish, almost sour on the palate. no floral character or hop presence. very thin in profile.

mouthfeel is ultra-light bodied, and the texture resembles sparkling water. the finish is of mild CO2 and a touch of grain.

drinkability is not good. this is a sub-par macro lager. the malt is not malty, but rather grainy, and stale at that. there is no hop presence, which leads to an unbalanced composition. not recommended

2.31/5  rDev -17.8%

Had it straight from the can because that is how it is meant to be served (let's be real). Smell is a faint diacetyl butteryness with a bit of corn sweetness. No hops to speak of and the taste is mainly sweet corn. A slight bitter finish. Mouthfeel is thin and over carbonated. Drinkability is pretty high on this one.

Overall if I have zero options this is a passable cheap option.

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Best to drink it quick. It if gets remotely warm, you're done for. I was introduced to it at a little out-of-the-way place in Chicago. But, being that is so cheap, that might not be the worst problem for you. An okay "local" beer if you find yourself out in the midwest.

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

It is okay and the flavor is alright. There's too many lagers on the shelves though. I don't even think of it as a style, just another boring American beer. As far as I read a few months ago whoever owns this (Miller?) owns a lot of brands and they're trying to destroy these small beers which don't make them a ton of money by not advertising them. That's why I buy it. Not horrible. Cheap $6-$7.50 a 12pk. usually. For some weird reason it's always next to and paired with Pabst and Rainier. That's how I make my decision sometimes. Rainier and Pabst usually keep the same price but sometimes they will be $2 higher than normal and sometimes this will be the high priced beer of the 3. I've seen it for $9.50 before when it's usually about $6 or $7 a 12.

Good overall. Usual junk macro taste. It is cheap beer and has some history which I respect. Overall better and more flavorful than the other 2 beers mentioned but not as great as another cheapie, High Life.

1.5 appearance, smell 2.0, taste 2.5, mouthfeel 1.5, drinkability 3. It's not a great taste so trying to drink a more than a few would not be that fun. It's watery beer. You can drink them but it's pretty boring.

*Wal Mart here sells 30's of these babys for $16. Just thought others might like to compare. It's all they sell. Winco (the local supermarket chain here) sells the 12's.

2.33/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance - Nice white head about a quarter of an inch tall but it fades away fast leaving no trace. The body is clear golden yellow with a hint at orange depending on the angle of my view.

Smell - The scent has soapiness to it often found in a hefe. Nothing special about this aroma.

Taste - The taste is thin and weak. It has a subtle flavor in consisting of malt but nothing I'd consider a good flavor.

Mouthfeel - The feel of this brew is actually not to bad. It has a subtle coarseness on the tip of my tongue, which helps to bring out what little flavor there is.

~ As far as a, hang out with buddies and drink a few beers, beer. It's not something I'd bring to a social gathering but I have to admit it could be worse.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.