Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

millercoors.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

4.1/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hadn't seen a can of Hamm's since my two tours to Korea, 76-77 and 79-82. I could usually be spotted with a case over my shoulder a couple of times a week boarding the kimchi bus for home downtown in the ville. Anything was better than the local Crown or OB. I think I paid about $5 a case back then. Imagine my surprise when I spotted a case in the beer cooler at Walmart today, in, of all places, Thomaston, Maine! I gotta buy me one of these! Ended up paying around $13 bucks, inflation I guess.
Got home and cracked open a can, pouring it into a pilsner glass. Looks good, has a head even. Cautiously I take a sip, taking myself back to my humble abode down the road from the rubber glove factory, with fish drying racks on the hill behind and across the road from a rice paddy (can't say I miss those combined smells ! ). Damn this is pretty good beer! Better than I remember. Taste, smoothness and drinkability easily beats most American AAL's.

3.67/5  rDev +30.1%

Hands down the BEST AAL. The most consistent beer I've ever had in it's class. Most bang for your buck, $9.89 a 30-box here, and it actually tastes like beer. You Hipsters and Lumber-sexuals can have the PBR, just keep your greasy mustache wax off my fucking Hamm's.

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Family party, desperate, the choices in the fridge were Hamms and Coors Light, seriously, my relatives are basic as hell. One sip of this light light yellow, corn scented flavorless thin crap and it went down the drain. It is the worst beer I've ever had.

1.5/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.98/5  rDev +5.7%

3.37/5  rDev +19.5%

For around $10 for a 30 pack you shouldn't be expecting a beer that is anything extraordinary. It's very drinkable though and is my new go to beer for where I'm just going for quantity and not quality. Tastes good, comparable to the rest of the beers in it's class and it might actually be better than most of them.

4.1/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Ok so its not the most popular brand. Its very possible to grab a six pack that has been sitting on a store shelf too long, be warned beer lovers. That said, American dopes enjoy coors and Budweiser, the same guys also probably voted for lil donny dump so there you go! If you want to waste your money I wont stand in your way... Hamm's is #1 for taste and VALUE! I enjoy many micro brews but Hamm's is my go to beer to hit the trail on my dirtbike or hang with the boys! Great beer, great buzz. Coors fans choke yourself

2.23/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hamms is my new go to American adjunct lager. By no means micro crafted, but what the heck......the price can't be beat considering the flavor! After I quaff a fine crafted brew or 2, I go to Hamms for a reasonable session beer that doesn't drain my wallet. Also makes the wife less apprehensive.

3.42/5  rDev +21.3%

I mean this beer is what it is. An american classic made for the working mans budget. Ive probably drank a few skids worth of cases of this beer in my lifetime. Obviously i prefer good micro brews. But if you want to just hang out with buddies or need a fishing beer this is it. At 11.99 in central indiana for a 30 pack cold you can't go wrong. Tastes better than most american lagers.

2.24/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Born in the land of sky blue waters comes Hamm's. I know that this is a cheap beer, probably a little more popular in parts of the country other than my native New Jersey (I was honestly shocked when I saw it in a liquor store here, hence why I had to pick it up). I wasn't going into this beer with high expectations, but I was a bit relieved that it was drinkable and not downright disgusting.

Hamm's pours a straw color with a slight yellow hue. A decent 2 fingers worth of foam forms but doesn't stick around for too long. The smell is nearly non-existent, with just some barely detectable grain smells present. The mouthfeel is kind of thin with a moderate amount of carbonation, which is not surprising. The flavor is indeed "cheap", with the majority of the flavor being just some light grains although I must say there is a decent hop presence noticable as well. Some seltzer-like taste and a bit of green apple flavor is present as well. The aftertaste is clean save for some leftover grains and the beer finishes without any alcoholic warmth.

Hamm's is drinkable and won't cause anyone to wretch (hopefully), but it definitely counts as a bargain basement type brew. Why I was able to find this in New Jersey instead of its usual midwestern home base, I'll probably never know.

3.55/5  rDev +25.9%

Rated for the style. Ive had hamms litterally 100's of times. Its about as cheap a beer as you can get here in the Midwest. Typically its runs $12-$13 for a 30 pack but recently a local gas station has had 30 packs for $9.99. Beer for cheaper than you can buy soda? Dont mind if i do. Despite its cheap price Hamms is a decent adjunct lager that holds its own within the style. Clear yellow and fizzy. Clean taste of mineral water, corn and very slight hops at the end. 4.7 percent alcohol is higher than a light beer but still low enough to session 8 to 12 on a Sunday afternoon watching football. If youre on a budget dont be afaid to buy Hamms. Just enjoy it for what it is and youre set.

1.88/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.62/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.38/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.75/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.22/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Typical American light lager.
The appearance is a clear straw gold.
The aroma is corn, malt sweetness, and some pils spice.
The taste is malt sweetness, corn, and some spicy earthiness.
The palate is light with a quickly dissipating flavor.
Overall this is a standard American light lager.

3.85/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For the standard weekend beer drinker/tailgater/griller/warm-blooded human etc. like 99% of us (i.e. not a pretentious beer snob or hobby brewer) this is a no brainer. Got the refreshing taste, look, and feel of a light American pilsner (i.e. Miller lite) but at nearly 5% ABV it'll keep you in your chair feeling kozy. Plus back in the day (the day when I was conceived) they had the coolest commercials (Google it). And (this may turn off some of you) it's from da land of da Packers so it can't be bad. At $12 a case it's well worth trying next time you want some refreshing beer that you don't have to think about or evaluate it's place in society. For what it is and doesn't try to be I give it 4.5/5. Good luck finding a better value alternative.

3.94/5  rDev +39.7%

This is a good tasting beer for the price. $6.00 plus tax for a 12 pack, best budget beer in my opinion

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.