Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 272 | Ratings: 771
3.21/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I can remember the TV adds for this beer back in the 70's. One of my northern trucker buddies brought be a six of this since I haven't seen any since the mid 70's. Brings back memories. Very impressive head, three fingers of dense foam, with much lace and cling. Clear with lots of micro bubbles, a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell brings be back to days of camping in Michigan, aromas of cereal grains, a slight floral array, and a wisp of lime. Taste is not quite what I remember from the 70's but it is not bad. Lime in the fringes, wheat, oats and malt in the forefront. Mouthfeel is thin but helped by the massive carbonation. Great for old time sake, brings back lots of good memories when I taste a mouthful.

1.87/5  rDev -33.5%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap.

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Hamm's is better than you might expect if you're looking for a very cheap beer (under $7 for a 12-pack). There isn't anything overly special about this beer, but it is more flavorful than other cheap light beers. The drinkability is high because there isn't a significant amount of taste... it is easy to drink A LOT of these at once. Give Hamm's a try... it isn't the worst beer around.

1.73/5  rDev -38.4%

The first thing you will notice about this beer is the strong cat urine smell. There is a reason why a 12 pack of this stuff is only $1 more than a 12 pack of soda; it is not good in any sense of the word. The smell is putrid, the taste of old watered down MGD, extreme carbonation, brown, frothy head, and leaves a horrible aftertaste in your mouth. Avoid at all costs.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a huge head, I mean huge, three fingers, it's lasting longer than I thought it would, but I'm sure it will be gone in no time. The body is completely see through, damn this is see through, this might be the most see through beer yet, and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of carbonation, and surprisingly, the beer looks like it is leaving good lacing, I'm in awe. Even though I can here the head fizzing away, the appearance actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean the body is atrocious, but the head has some good qualities. Unlike Coors and Coors light, you can smell a little hops on the nose, very very small, but still there. Other than that there is a malt sweetness and a sour adjunct smell. Not horrible again on the smell, but for sure not up to par with any "good" beer. The taste is pretty crappy, there is mostly just sweet, almost stale malt taste here. There is the smallest hop taste, but nothing really there. Very watery, I mostly just get that gross cheap malt taste. On one hand, it has more of a flavor than Coors and Coors light, but it's not a good flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty bad, but not as bad as the Coors light. It has some girth to it, but for the most part it is just watery. The drinkability is the one great thing about this beer, it just goes down like no other, it is super light, and now that I drink it more, that flavor that I thought it had has kinda gone, and it's all subdued, so I makes it easier to drink. Overall on this beer, eh, ok for an adjunct lager, the beer changes a lot as you drink it, gross in some ways, smooth in some other ways.

3.02/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz can into a pint glass

A: Perfectly clear pale yellow. Pours 1 finger head that falls almost immediately. Some lace.

S: Sweet and bready. A lot of grain. A very small touch of skunk.

T: A little dry bitterness over a pure graininess.

M: Crisp. High carbonation. Very dry.

D: I am not a fan of this style as a whole but this is far better than Bud, Bud Light, Corona, Miller Lite and their cohorts.

1.4/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college.

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

This beer is yellow and fizzy. White bubbly head. Lots of carbonation.

It faintly smells of grain and bittering hops.

It's got a corn wham to it. It's a pretty sweet brew. Not much in the way of hops.

It's thin and bubbly.

It's no Schlitz, but at $12.99 a 30 pack, this is currently the most bang for the buck in town.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%

Went to my parents' house for Easter dinner and found that my dad is now including Hamm's in his beer fridge. Remembering the "Promise me anything, but give me a Hamm's" sweatshirt he wore for just about every home improvement project during my youth, I couldn't resist trying it.

A: Pale yellow with a half-inch of white head, some carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Unremarkable, nothing really there that stood out.

T: Taste was very balanced and smooth. None of the skunk-like aftertaste I get from most beers of this style.

M: Light bodied with gentle carbonation.

D: This beer was a pleasant surprise delivering more than I expected. It is one of my favorites of the style. I will throw a few of these into the beer fridge as the yard work season heats up here in the "Land of Sky Blue Waters."

1.97/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash.

2.95/5  rDev +5%

Pours a transparent gold-yellow, the colour of apple juice exactly. It had a small head that dissipated to nothing. The smell is that classic cheap beer smell. Nothing offensive or interesting. For the price of this beer, that's a good thing. That's what they were going for, I imagine.
Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and very watery. Too much so on both counts, but oh well. It's cheap.
The taste seems very separated. First the bitterness with the carbonation, then a watery lack of flavour and then the light flavour of the malt that carries that classic bad beer taste I'm looking for. It doesn't meld together well, due to the high carbonation I believe. This kinda sucks, but kinda makes it interesting. I'd still prefer lower carbonation, though. I'm probably not going to buy this beer again since Schlitz Gusto is in the same price range and a better beer. But if Schlitz ends up costing more, I might think about buying Hamm's again. It's better than the big names. Marginally.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

A can poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is very typical of an American adjunct lager, which is what I expected. The smell is husky sweet grain with just a hint of hops, which is also what I expected. The taste is a little funny, but pretty much spot on for this style of beer. A nice sweetness balanced by just a hint of bitter- not enough bitterness to taste bitter, just enough to make the sweetness die down a bit. This beer might be a little more thin and watery than a lot of other American adjunct lagers though. The MF is typical.

I went and bought a case of Troeg's Perpetual and got one of these as a free sample (always have to take the free sample.) This gave me the chance to have a beer I would have otherwise probably never had. It is just a standard American lager, which I now believe is owned by Pabst, but another notch under the belt nonetheless. You have to love all of these old regional favorites that are still around. This isn't common in my area at all, but I bet it is much more prevalent in the Midwest. Cheers to Hamm'!

After some research I guess this is a MillerCoors product. My bad. And I do love the generic looking retro can. I have always loved those.

2.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A: poured a light straw yellow typical of a macrobrewed lager style.
S: has a fruity grainy off-yeast aroma bringing a good traditional lager smell but has a typical American lager smell in the back of the nose.
T: this is wherethe beer goes downhill. The taste is similar to mainstream macros light filler malt flavoring with very slight bittering.
M/D: highly carbonated light body feel. The drinkability is ok considering the taste and feel.

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

can into a pint glass...not much here, piss yellow, no real body, flavor or aroma...pretty much what I expected. At least it was cheap at $2.99 a six pack even in downtown Chicago. Being originally from Wisconsin, I did drink a lot of this in high school. Cheap stuff. Better than a lot of adjuncts but still not real beer in my opinion. Goes down super easy. Like water. Which it pretty much is. Buy it if you're up against Coors or one of the others, but otherwise, take a pass.

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

Presentation/Appearance: I'll be honest, I drank this straight from the can. The can has a neat retro look and the packaging is less generic than most of the mass-produced domestic light beers.

Smell: Not much on the nose, but there is a slight corn aroma.

Taste: The flavor profile is thin compared to most craft beer, but decent compared to most light domestics. It's watered down and metallic tasting, but still somewhat grainy.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and heavily carbonated. Obviously meant to be drunk very cold.

Drinkability: There's not much flavor, but what is there is not too unpleasant. This is about all you can ask of adjunct lagers, and it gives Hamm's a higher drinkability rating than many of its peers.

Notes: This beer is great for what it is. It's an excellent alternative to most of the macro adjuncts out there, in terms of both price and flavor. In this way, I would liken it to PBR, which I am a fan of. Think of it as PBR's kid brother, looking up to and aspiring to be PBR.

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I remember as a kid visiting family in Minnesota and Wisconsin and all of my uncles drinking this beer. This one really surprised me! I paid less than $15 for a 24 pack cube thinking I would try this beer that was always a favorite of my uncles from up North.
The color is a real pretty light gold with a fluffy white head that laces the glass going down. With a smell that hit me of white bread (almost like a freshly baked loaf of white) and very clean barley and malt notes.
The taste just freaking made my eyes pop. I was getting a clean fresh water taste with all of the other beer ingredients, barley and malts, with a nice peppery finish. The thing that caught me was the absence of the real sweet pop that can come from some adjunct lagers.
Like Coors I get a lot of Pilsner influence, could this again be that German family recipe thing come back into play? For a cheap, sorry let me change that, for an inexpensive beer, this was a real solid hit for me. Give it a shot! And don't worry you won't be out a lot of money if you do not like it.

3.86/5  rDev +37.4%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

3.3/5  rDev +17.4%

"From the land of sky blue waters, waters." This BMC-equivalent was enjoyed at Margie's Bar in Eveleth, MN, after a week of canoeing in the Boundary Waters. Smells like weak malt. Tastes watered down. And it's dirt cheap. What's not to love about Hamms? Heck, try this beer for the old-time commercials only. Believe me, you're not drinking Hamms for the taste.

Enjoy!

2.88/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured this into a regular old pint glass. It's a straw yellow color with lots of bubbles floating to the top. It gave off a one finger white head but quickly fell to pretty much no head at all.

Smell is grainy, a bit dry with a little tart apple.

Taste is of corn, grain and a little bitterness at the end. I'm hesitant to say "hop bitterness" though.

The mouthfeel is light, crisp and drinkable but will likely have you burping from the decent amount of CO2.

There isn't much to say about this beer, it's a little better than Budweiser but not as good as Schlitz.

2.22/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Typical American light lager.
The appearance is a clear straw gold.
The aroma is corn, malt sweetness, and some pils spice.
The taste is malt sweetness, corn, and some spicy earthiness.
The palate is light with a quickly dissipating flavor.
Overall this is a standard American light lager.

3.21/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tall boy can - six pack for $4.00! Pours straw yellow - a shade darker than the average American Adjunct Lager. Foamy white head, lingers for a bit then stays as a thin wispy lace on top of the beer. Aromas is faint hops and cornbread - again, a bit above average for the style. Taste - Bready with a corn tinge, hops are definitely apparent but very light - very clean flavor profile - crisp and refreshing. Overall, just a touch better than many of its more famous competitors - given that this is one of the cheapest beers out there ,it is not bad for what it is. would choose over Coors, Bud, or Pabst.

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops.

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

I drank it from a can but I already know what it looks like - classic pale gold of its kind.
The smell was lacking, didn't have much of one.
The taste was a surprise. I was expecting something poor or watery but it has a decent, almost bitter flavor. Not watery.
Moderate carbonation, it's no Miller but it's not flat. Almost creamy feel to it.
Overall, I'm not disappointed, for the price and flavor, it's similar to a Miller High Life, and that's one of my favorite go-to beers. And I think I'll have a Hamm's again.

Edit as of 2/13/2016
I have not come across a beer with the taste and quality of Hamm's with the price to match. This is my every day go to beer. I think this is the beer for me.

2.67/5  rDev -5%

Appearance - Poured a light golden color with a white foamy head. Slight laciness.

Taste - Hint of barley but definetly cereal grains. Minor after taste of grains.

Smell - Nothing but a hint of grains.

Mouthfeel - Like water, no texture

Drinkability - Good, very light.

Not a bad beer for the price. Excellent for sitting around a camp fire or on a hot day to enjoy a couple.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.