Grog | Portneuf Valley Brewing

Portneuf Valley Brewing
Idaho, United States
portneufvalleybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Our Premium India Pale Ale is high in malt flavor and aggressive hop bitterness and aroma. This current batch is dry-hopped. Taste the difference.

Added by icemonkey908 on 07-31-2008

Reviews by bagpiper2005:
3.8/5  rDev +18%

One of my mainstays when I go have dinner and a few.

Pour: Goldenrod color with one finger of white head that dissipates somewhat slowly into a small ring and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Nice malty aroma with a strong citrus hop note and a little bit of alcohol.

Taste: Starts off with a syrupy sweetness that later gives way into moderately intense hop bitterness at the back, with some underlying fruity notes and a little bit of an alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: Medium with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down smoothly, and is a great beer for a hot day.

Final Notes: I think of this as more like an English IPA than an American one due to its more malty front end and slightly less bitter back end. That said, just as with all the other PVB beers, it's a very pleasing beer. If you're ever in Poky, look me up.

3.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the brewery in Pocatello, Idaho.
This arrived with a good head over a clear, dark amber body.
Spicy hops and caramel in the aroma with some honey.
Flavor: medium bitterness for style. Earthy, grassy hop flavors.
Medium body and carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

2.1/5  rDev -34.8%

Had this beer in November 2015 and enjoyed it. Lots a citrus and a nice dry finish. I had the beer a 3.7 rating. Well I returned yesterday and started out with a 5 beer sampler of beers that I had not had before. The black IPA was decent and the pale ale to was okay but the other 3 were a bit buttery flavored (diacetyl) I figured well since they were low on hoppyness they were really showing there flaws. So I chose the grogIPA figuring I enjoyed it before and it wouldn't be as flawed as the IPAs are generally easier to make and better at covering up flaws. Well let me tell you that this was probably one of the worst beers I have ever had! A butter BOMB! I do not even know how it made it to the table? Now I'm not piling on just to be rude this was really horrible and I wonder what the hell they're thinking putting this product out there. Now I know they know how to make a palatable refreshing IPA because I had one 6 months ago there. But my suggestion is for them to drain pour and start over! I want to enjoy this place because we do not have much in SE Idaho but ya it was really horrible. You guys need to check your sanitation procedures both in production and kegging, tap lines and all.

3.33/5  rDev +3.4%

3.25/5  rDev +0.9%

3.65/5  rDev +13.4%

I was glad to find this place when I was in Pocatello, ID. Nice beer selection and decent atmosphere.

Anyway, the waitress told me this beer was their IPA. It was presented in a pint glass. Color was tan and the beer clear. A one finger head quickly vanished.

The aroma was very sweet. Much sweeter then I have seen with this style. None of the floral and citrus hop aromas expected are present.

Flavor is interesting, especially for an IPA. A very berry-like/blueberry flavor dominates at first finishing with a twinge of citrus hop.

Overall, a solid, interesting beer, although I am not sure it fits in the IPA style. If you find yourself in Pocatello ID, check it out.

Grog from Portneuf Valley Brewing