McChouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

ABV varies from time to time.

Added by Mitchster on 09-22-2001

Liked:
3.98/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,122 |  Reviews: 540

4.88/5  rDev +22.6%

Amazing beer, simply put.

I uncorked this expecting a decent, yet overall mediocre beer with my meal. I was taken back by the robust flavor of the beer. It was not only outstanding on its own, but enhanced the flavor of my meal (burger). I found myself savoring every sip of this fine drink. A complex and greatly enjoyable drink. If you are a fan of belgian ales, this will not fail to impress. I will be buying this regularly.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Chose this beer after touring the Achouffe Brewery in Belgium. You leave there and go a Cafe Chesar about .5 miles away for your 2 tastings included with the tour. Of all the beers we tasted while in Belgium, this was my second favorite beer behind Westvleteren 12. I love the malty, carmel, toasty aroma followed by the sweet fruit variety of tastes taste on your tongue with the smooth dry finish. I found it to be a great complex beer with changing notes as it warmed. I thought it was outstanding and since I can't get Westvleteren 12 in the States, it is my new favorite for home drinking.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

The first time I tasted this beer I was stunned because it was everything I liked in a Belgian ale. Wonderful deep rosy color, noticable spicy aroma, most impressive taste and a drinkability to last a lifetime. The alcohol left we warm & mellow after a difficult week at work. To me Friday's are McChouffe days. A wonderful brew, indeed. Give this one a try if you like complex brews with multiple tastes for the palate. One of my favorites.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

S: Indulgent, rich strong sweet, bready dark fruit with brandy. Mild alcohol at the end. It's potent! Just all sweet caramel and brandy upfront.

T: Again, potent. Full-mouth unique tingly, rich, sweet, dark roasted caramel and brown sugar. That's all contrasted by bitter hops at the end. Sweet, bitter, bold, and fun!

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

33 cl. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: A very dark and slightly hazy amber body with an off-white head that fades rather fast (I need to stop serving these so cold, but this review's over a long period of time as I'm drinking it), though the lacing, by the first pour and with subsequent small swirls, leaves some nice wet clumps around the glass.

Smell: Lots of yeast, fruit, blackberry, definite blueberry, mild earthy phenols, some sourness almost like a lambic or a Flanders red with the sour cherries aroma, a healthy dose of pepper spice, and some vinous qualities. Balanced and extremely complex. Sweeter and more delicate flavors also start to surface as it warms.

Taste: Vinous characters are apparent initially, some dark fruit malt notes, apple and blueberry are coming through, sugar cookies, mild medicinal phenols, mild chocolate, caramel, and the faintest amount of curbing hops at the finish, which is balanced and sweet with the apple, blueberry, and sweet peppery spice dominating, until the tingue of hops at the end, all of it providing a very long and lingering finish. There's so much more in this too that I'm sure I'm not picking up on. Exeptional.

Mouthfeel: Ultimately creamy, smooth, and silky, with a fairly full body that doesn't seem cloying to me at all.

Drinkability: Absolutely wonderful stuff, and it makes me love the style even more, as I can't get enough. It never ceases to amaze me how nuanced some of these brews in the style are, and this is surely one of them without a doubt. Looks like I'll be getting as much from the brewery as I can to see if any can match this. I've seen them, but I was always hesitant for some reason to pick up more. Things are gonna change now.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured a 330 ml into a lightly chilled mug.

A: Pours a beautiful deep ruby red that doesn't let much light. Head is fluffy at first, light tan.

S: Sweet with a nice aroma of candy sugar along with a berry fruit smell. Very malty aroma with just a hint of clove.

T: Quite a surprise. Rich malty flavor upfront, complements by complex fruity flavors. A refreshing blend of cherry and light chocolate taste finishing with a with a nice toffee flavor. This was a real treat.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth from start to finish. It rested nicely in my mouth and every sip was a joy waiting to happen. Limited bite on the backside with not lingering sour aftertaste.

D: I expected a beer more like the strong pale ale from the same brewery that I have grown to enjoy. I was surprised by a beer that blew by my expectation and became an instant favorite

Overall: I need to sample this beer again…and again…and again.

4.76/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great belgian strong dark ale, very affordable and easy to find. Someone told me it was a blend with a scottish style because the character in the label has those pants, but I don´t know.

McChouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe