McChouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

ABV varies from time to time.

Added by Mitchster on 09-22-2001

Ratings: 1,119 |  Reviews: 539

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

OK, here's yet another beer that I've been cellaring for quite some time and in an effort to consolidate my collection, this beer's time is up.

Apppearance- dark brown with deep ruby hues. A bit too dark to show off the nice clarity within, but you can see through it still when held up to the light. Head is on the small side but there's still some lacing.

Smell- typical brown ale smells with malt dominating. Very little hop presence combined with earthy, and spicey yeast characteristics put the belgian twist on this one.

Taste- not nearly as flavor packed as I expected. It's surprisingly mellow, subdued, and I might even go so far as to say dull. It may have something to do with being cold aged for about a year and half in my beer fridge; I'm not sure, but this just wasn't as flavorful as I expected.

Not a bad choice, but not something I'll seek out again. The other offerings I've had from chouffe have been much stronger IMO.

McChouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe