La Chouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

Ratings: 2,561 |  Reviews: 904
3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev 0%

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It is a real head-scratcher for me as to why I have not reviewed this beer until now. I first met owner/brewer Chris Browaerts in Montreal at the Mondial de la Biere in 2002. He was impressed by my jacket & gave me a patch which I proudly wear. I have corresponded with him on many occasions since, even getting some additional patches and several gnome caps. I last saw hi in DC a few years back during the Savor festival. Cheers! I am glad to finally be reviewing this beer.

From the bottle: "La Chouffe is brewed by the Artisans of la Brasserie d'Achouffe deep in the heart of Belgium's Ardennes mountains. The legend of gnomes (chouffes) who once brewed in this mysterious region provides the inspiration for this eccentric bottle conditioned, double fermented ale. Serve cool between 50 & 55F and pour carefully into a wide-mouthed La Chouffe glass to enjoy the full flavors and aromas of this ale. Brewed within the lush green Belgian Ardennes using 100% natural ingredients."

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, gentle pour into an awaiting chalice. I was startled by the way the head foamed up, unbidden, to create a meringue-like cap of dense, foamy, eggshell-white head with excellent retention. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, prompting an impromptu visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, each eager for a taste. Nose had a bready maltiness and a yeasty mustiness & I thought immediately of Belgium. It is just so hard to recreate what the Belgians do with beer, although we Americans try mightily. Mouthfeel was light, a little thin, but that may be the only negative thing that I am going to say about this beer. It began with a malty sweetness, bready certainly, but also kind of sugary sweet, also, but then I got a blast of peppery spiciness, more than likely from the yeast. Wow! Aha, the bottle reads: "Ale brewed with coriander"! The thought crossed my mind, but I had not looked closely at the label until just then. As you might imagine, any beer involving spices is going to have a dry finish & this was no exception. Each sip left me ready for the next one until my glass was sadly drained. Boo hoo.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

The appearance is a dark somewhat hazy golden yellow colored body with a slim half finger white foamy head that dies within a half a minute. Some lacing is left in rings. The aroma has some earthy "iced pears" (kinda like a tripel), light spice - coriander perhaps, some clove and "banana" esteriness coming through, sweet apples coming through on the back end as it warms. The taste is mainly sweet, yet an element of tartness comes through after a bit of warming, sticky sweet aftertaste and finish. On the palate, its about a medium in body, somewhat sessionable, carbonation lends a hand to a nice smooth sort of rolling feel coating the mouth and tongue, I’m diggin’ this, good for style and great to me. Overall, this turned out way better than I thought it would.

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color is a bright orange yellow. Head is a solid thin layer. Nose is of sour citrus and malt with some tart pineapple and mint. Palate is bolder with more rich malt breadiness present - tart lemon is very present, mango, white flower, minty. Pros. complex, effervescent, comforting, nice Acosta, bright. Cons kinda simple at first. 94/100.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

I have walked past this beer for years but no more. I had two bottles in Brussels and this beer is outstanding. Bright orange, full aromas of esters. Flavor is yeasty, delicious, surprising. I will be purchasing this as soon as I return to the U.S.

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Staring at my empty glass as the lacing starts to dissipate. What a truly sensational beer. The interplay of banana-clove-peppery goodness. It fills your mouth with this life and lingers long enough to visit all corners of your taste and then closes crisp. Dumbfounding.

4.12/5  rDev -1%