La Chouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

Ratings: 2,572 |  Reviews: 907

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Brasserie d'Achouffe's La Chouffe last month for $4.43 at Toskey Sands Market. So It looks like this is the 900th different beer I've had since I joined the site three years ago and I thought I would go with a beer that I have been meaning to try for a long time now, so lets see how it goes. Best before Feb. 2016. Poured from a brown shorter euro style 330ml bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks ok, I'm not a big fan of the gnome on the label but it doesn't look bad. It poured a hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden and amber color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This a nice looking beer, but i think the head retention and lacing could have been a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a honey like aroma to it and it's followed by a nice fruity aroma with some nice citrus rind aromas coming through along with a nice pear aroma. Up next comes Belgian yeast aroma with some banana aromas and a mix of spicy aromas with coriander seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, caramel, and wheat like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma that was true to style and fairly complex.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey flavor to it and it's followed by some fruity flavors up front that impart a nice citrus rind flavor with a slight pear flavor in the background. Up next comes the Belgian yeast which imparts a nice spicy flavor with coriander still sticking out the most and there's a slight banana flavor in the background. Towards the end comes the malts which impart a grainy, bready and wheaty flavor with a slight alcohol flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a malty, Belgian yeast, and citrus rind aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer that's very true to style.

M- Smooth, very crisp, pretty dry, medium bodied with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good and textbook example of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale with pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style and nothing seemed out of place. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, very crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think the prickly carbonation would prevent me from drinking more than one of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and mouthfeel I thought they were both very nice and they were pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but the head retention and lacing were a little weak. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's good, but it's a little pricey and for around the same price I can get Duvel which I like more than this beer. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or Belgian beers in general. All in all i was satisfied with this beer, it wasn't the best of the style I have had, but I still thought it was good and I'll be on a look out for more beers from this brewery since this beer made for a good first impression, nice job guys, keep up the good work.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%