La Chouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Alströms:

Ratings: 2,587 |  Reviews: 915

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a bright golden yellow with a quickly-dissipating white head.

S - Spices, clove, classic Belgian yeast, slightly citrusy/floral. Reminds me of a few Trappist tripels, which is a great thing.

T - Everything from the aroma is present but with a slight hoppiness in the finish. The alcohol is nicely masked; I wouldn't have guessed that this is 8.00% ABV.

M - Medium body; lightly carbonated. Refreshes the palate.

O - A great example of the "lighter" Belgian ales.

This is a perfect beer for me to bring to a nice restaurant: it's beautiful, refreshing, and light enough to enjoy a full meal.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Deep gold; cloudy; big head

Aroma: Tart fruit; coriander

Taste: Dry aftertaste; herbal; hop resins in aftertaste

Remarks: Bought this during our first trip to Belgium. I think it was at a Carre Four just outside Bruges.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.21/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Cloudy, golden, very nice color, a bit darker than I'd like, nice head, good retention.
S - It's fairly skunky. I normally would have stopped a review by now, but upon drinking it, it was way better. Green bottles are just not acceptable, I don't care about tradition.
T - Belgian yeasty esters, apple, pear, some clove, no banana, fairly dry, maybe a bit sweet on the finish though. It's tasty, a little heavier than I'd like I think, but quite good. I'd like the finish just a bit drier. As it warms, some bitterness from the alcohol comes through, but it's definitely not hot at all.
M - Well carbonated, again I'd like a touch drier, but pretty good.
O - Normally, this is a style I very much like, but the aroma turned me off quite a bit, and the heavy finish left this beer a bit less sessionable. Still, it's a good beer and I would recommend it (if I could be assured it wasn't lightstruck somehow...)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Cloudy orange gold, thick white head with long lasting lacing

S - Citrus and flowers

T - Orange, spices, buttery caramel, and sweet, fruity esters. Finishes with a floral, hoppy bitterness

M -Smooth, very bubbly, but not in a bad way. Dry finish

O - Overall, very enjoyable and drinkable beer, especially in the warmer months. If you like your triples a bit sweeter, this is the way to go. Pretty easily available too, just one of the more pricey triples, as far as the commonly sold ones go.

La Chouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe