La Chouffe | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

Ratings: 2,561 |  Reviews: 905

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: large white frothy head, beautiful amber orange color. Unfiltered, lots of particles.

Smell: smells a lot like a delerium and a duvel, you can really smell the citrusy belgian yeast.

Taste: my favorite belgian strong ale, its a lot smoother than the other famous ones. You get all the complex flavors an spice notes you would expect, but the big thing about this beer is the smoothness. Very citrusy, strong notes of coriander and slight banana aftertaste. I taste a lot of apples as well. This is a very refreshing beer.

Mouthfeel: pretty carbonated, very sweet and doesnt leave tour mouth too dry.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers for any situation. Ive had it on tap in Amsterdam, for my first experience. But honestly i almost like it out of the bottle better. Maybe thats an unfair assesment as I haven't had it on tap in years, but regardless this beer will amaze anyone. Its so drinkable that this could convert even non beer drinkers into avid beer snobs. If you love Delirium or Duvel, you need to give this a shot, you'll probably like it even better.

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into my Duvel Tulip. I poured a bit too fast, as there’s sediment galore.

Appears dark orange and with a lot of sediment, as previously stated. I thought it was pretty well carbonated on the pour too.

Smells a bit like oranges and cream. Yeasty. From the smell, I feel like it will have a bit of a bite to it. Spicy. Maybe a hint of lavender. Very floral.

I was surprised at how mild it actually was. A lot of citrus working in there. A very nice spice bite as you swallow. Belgium yeast.

Mouthfeel was tingly and not very viscous at all.

Overall, not a bad beer. It’s certainly something I’ll see again down the road, but nothing that knocked my socks off.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The color is a hazy amber orange with a big head.

I tasted this with another beer and the aroma is just delicious. It’s fruity and of
It has an extremely fresh smell of yeast. There’s an off orange, like tangerine, and apple and pear. There’s a bran cereal note with honey.

The taste is similar to the aroma. However, the backbone maltiness carries throughout the mouth quite well. It’s just so very smooth throughout. It’s a good malt and fresh fruitiness and then it just cleans up nicely. There’s a clove, banana there.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer. It hides the alcohol so well and you just want to keep drinking it.

I taste tested this with Duvel and I would say I prefer this because of the smooth maltiness, but also the lovely fruit flavors.

What a wonderful beer.