Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The gnomes of Fairyland may be little, but they have big, very big, personalities. HOUBLON CHOUFFE matches their impish spirits. All gnomes, with their innate good taste, are in full agreement about HOUBLON CHOUFFE, which is flavoured by three different types of hops. This India Pale Ale is appreciated for its pronounced bitterness combined with the fruity tones of traditional Achouffe beers: it softens the strongest of characters.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 2,812 |  Reviews: 1,220
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wotta week! Three straight days at the same substitute teaching assignment! Normally, I eschew such things and two is usually my upper limit, but this gig was too good to gloss over/past. I scouted the nearby bottle shop, Country Garden Six Pack, on Thursday & on Friday, I pounced! A sampler four-pack of Chouffe + a glass at a rock-bottom price! Plus some other Belgians that I had drank before. It's a Belgian weekend as the snowstorm & Arctic Inversion approach! I contacted Chris Brouwarts of Chouffe via E-mail, but I have yet to get a response. Onward!

From the Bottle: "Houblon Chouffe Triple Ale I.P.A."; "Houblon Chouffe IPA Triple Beer"; "On its journey across the globe[,] the little CHOUFFE wandered through beautiful hop fields. The overwhelming aroma of these little hop flowers such as Tomahawk, Amarillo and Saaz mesmerized him. Back at home in the Ardennes[,] he created a new recipe combining this heady array of hops with the depth and body of his favorite style, 'Tripel". Thus, our little CHOUFFE's new inspiration, HOUBLON CHOUFFE IPA Triple Beer was born."

I Pop!ped the cap on this one & having readied the glass that came with the pack, I was ready to go. I began with a slow, gentle pour into the awaiting said glass, but it was full steam ahead so I amped up to a C-Line pour. It quickly puffed up to form just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention that suddenly exhaled & fell, leaving great lacing in its wake! Most impressive. The solid Gold (SRM = 5) color was equally impressive, bringing forth The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus for a taste! I have never been in the Ardennes, but I know from "Band of Brothers" that it is a pine forest. The nose smelled like pine sap flowing from a stand of pine trees as snow fell around them! OMFG! I love hops, I love their bitterness & their citrusiness & their fruitiness, but most of all, I LOVE when they smell like pine! Yum. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. The taste was wondrous! It was like a decade-old throwback IPA with its intense pine coolness & mintiness. Dang, but this was tasty! The Notes mention a softening fruitiness & while I will give it/them that, it was still more like an AIPA than many actual AIPAs have been in a LONG time, IMHO. S**t, this made me want to go back & snatch up EVERY remaining party pack there! I may bring them to my birthday party next month … Was it precisely to Style? Hmm. I would say "Yes" since Chouffe is actually mentioned as an exemplar. Finish was dry, but not gasping. I was left with a cool mintiness that simply lingered. Mmm. YMMV.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours bright yellow with white cap. Notes of Belgium spice + DIPA vibe. Great one!

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

You know, I really like La Chouffe and was excited to try this IPA from Brasserie d'Achouffe. I don't like it as much as La Chouffe -- I know, I know, they're different beers. But the taste is similar (citrusy, banana, bubblebum notes). This one is more bitter, and I don't think the mouthfeel is as crisp as I want it. Don't get me wrong: this is an excellent beer, and an excellent IPA in a sea of hop-heavy clones. It's distinct and well-rounded. I guess I expected something slightly different?

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tasted in Florida. Lovely golden copper color. Foam kicked up to 3” and settled into some nice lacing.
Taste is dry with fruit flavors.
A very fine brew to seek out.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious beer. Well done ipa. The taste is refreshingly good. I could drink this after a day of yard work.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. The hops blend perfectly with fruity overtones. A punch without being overly bitter. A nice surprise.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev -5%

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely phenomenal! Crystal clear look, a bit of a hoppy but not overbearing. Very crisp and refreshing with a fantastic floral aroma. An absolutely amazing Belgian IPA

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe