Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
Belgium | website

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

4.2

Reviews: 1,179 | Ratings: 2,647
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a draft tap at the Libertine Bar into a snifter-style glass.

A: This beer pours no head (likely because it is on tap and into a small glass) but has a nice ring of carbonation near the top and laces the glass well. An opaque beer that you can't see through it is also a nice very dark yellow almost orange color. Reminds me of orange juice but a little darker and carbonated.

S: Smelling the hops, some caramel sweetness and maybe some type of fruit in the nose of this one. Can't pin down the fruit.

T: As I taste this one there is definite banana balanced nicely with the hops here. The sweetness and bitterness is really well interplayed here and I love it. Not any bitterness that stays with my palette so I consider this to be awesome.

M: Undercarbonated I wish this one had more. The beer is light in the mouth though which for me is a good thing with a hoppy beer.

D: I had 2 of them last night, but I couldn't have a 3rd. Drinkability suffers some from the hoppiness (for me) and the sweetness. It's just a big beer and I can only have a couple of these max.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was eager to try this one, given its reputation and my fondness for American hops. But while this is certainly not a bust, it didn't click with me the way it clearly does with so many other BA'ers.

Pours a very hazy yellow gold, very robust multi-finger head, like many Belgian goldens. Aroma is definitely that crisp "Belgian" - but with an unusually spicy hoppy overtone.

I taste primarily pepper, which to me doesn't integrate so well into the more typical Belgian yeast style finish. There's little or no American-hops style character (by which I mean citrus or pine), but quite a bit of that edgy, spicy Saaz. Finishes okay, but that unintegrated malt-pepper-yeast is a drag for the next drink.

Not remotely a bad beer. Perhaps just one that I don't appreciate.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

My wife came home a day with a 75 bottle of this IPA and the second thing I did (the first was a kiss to her) was checking the review on BA: A
I waited a while for the right occasion to drink it, but I don't remember wich one it was, because i drunk this IPA again and again, in 33cl bottle and on tap in Achouffe itself, wondering what was wrong, if it was me or the beer.
Tonight I've just finished a 33cl bottle of Houblon Chouffe that comes directly from the Achouffe shop in Achouffe, so it's time to add my two cents.
Good appearance in its Houblon glass (that I don't find having the right shape, neither I like it very much) good head (even if it does not last very long), the goldest gold you can imagine on top, paler on bottom (since the glass narrows). Smell and taste are dominated by hops, and it has a dry, bitter and tart finish I definitely don't like very much. Probably that's the point, it has a so hoppy character I can't deal with. I find it's a good beer, and two slices of gouda did the job to finish it... But... BA says "Generally, Belgian IPAs are considered too hoppy by Belgian beer drinkers". I'm definitely a Belgian beer drinker.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

A-Bright hazy yellow..big pillowy head on top.

S-To me this takes on more of a yeasty belgian aroma than a west coast IPA aroma....lemony....nice

T-Very flavorful....again to me the belgian notes lead the way but there is a good hit of lemony/citrus hops on the finish..

M-Medium to full bodied...highly carbonated..

D-Interesting for sure...nice blend of styles....but for me this does not rate as an all-time great....definitely enjoyable, but nothing I would go back to.

3.69/5  rDev -12.1%

I will confess that I picked up a 12 ounce bottle for $2 knowing it was probably an old IPA. It was.... By like 9-10 months. Oh well.

Anyhow, when I poured the beer into a Belgian tulip, I immediately noticed a lot of sediment, floaters really, and thought the beer must have gone bad. There was a great, carbonated head on top, probably three fingers thick, so that was encouraging and the caramel color of the beer was nice. I just couldn't get over the floaters.

But then I smelled this and was pleasantly surprised. A lot of fruity and floralness hit me, which was even more surprising given that I thought I wouldn't get any of the hops. The aroma really is potent, sweet and pungent. You don't have to work hard to get notes of vanilla, toffee and other sweet notes. It does remind me of a barleywine.

The taste is a bit strange for me. The Belgian quality seems a separate component and borders on the taste I'd get in a gueuze. I get a lot of bitterness towards the finish that somewhat manhandles my taste buds. The beer still tastes sweet, slight floral and citrusy, and there are some malty sweet qualities as well. Despite the nine months of age, I get a noticeable hit of alcohol on the taste buds too.

The mouthfeel, as I hinted above, is a lot of different things. The beer is somewhat astringent, super bitter, sweet. I'm not crazy about how this beer drinks, unfortunately.

Still, as the beer warmed, it mellowed out a bit and I began to appreciate it a bit more.

3.69/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color is mainly yellow/orange, forms a large white head that seems in no hurry to go anywhere.

Smell is of malt, yeast, floral notes, and a bit of pine from the hops.

Starts out a lot like a triple, with fruit and pepper notes. It's in the back of the beer that the hops show up, and add floral and pine flavors, leaving a bitterness in the finish.

Smooth and solid feel to this one.

I knew this would be an interesting beer, as it combines my favorite style of beer with one of my least favorite styles. The combination actually works, although it is a bit more hopped up than I prefer. The triple part of adds complexity and flavors I like, although this is probably one of the most hopped up Belgian beers I have ever tried. Definitely worth trying out, glad I tried something a little different.

3.69/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: 750ml screen-printed green dimpled Belgian flask bottle sealed with a white crown cap which has a colorful looking gnome on it. Has a yellow backed main obverse which has a happy looking Hop-picking Gnome as its centre-piece. No freshness just a listed strength of 9.0% Alc/Vol.

Reverse Label states:
“On its journey across the globe the little Chouffe wandered through beautiful hopfields. The overwhelming aroma of these little hop flowers such as Tomahawk, Amarillo and Saaz mesmerized him. Back at home in the Ardennes he crafted a new recipe combining this dizzying array of hops with the depth and body of his favorite style “Tripel”. Thus, our little Chouffe’s new inspiration Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel was born.

B.United lists further information as:
“A unique marriage between the English tradition of IPAs, the new American revolution of Imperial IPAs and the classic Belgian way of brewing. Houblon Chouffe, although very much hopped as it is, showcases the unique balance between a very strong IPA and a very special Belgian Tripel exclusively created for this ale (Big malty body, distinct dryness, expressive estery fruitiness).”
EBC: 13, IBU: 59, Original Gravity: 1092

Achouffe’s own Website adds:
..…erm nothing, it is not even listed there!!!!
See for yourself if you don’t believe me...
Eh!?

Appearance: Pale golden body with a light milky haze that seems to shimmer in the light thanks to the myriad of fast rising streamers. Monster Belgian style Achouffe head rises quickly and drops down to a rocky crevice infested mass that leaves massive cloud like chunks hanging off the side of my glass and expanded foam icebergs ready to sink passing Ships. Awesome looks!! I toyed with a 4.5 but I loved this one so much I went for a 5.0 - hands down the best part of this brew.

Nose: Sharp grapefruit with a finely grated lemon zest. Hops linger, dare I say the Saaz is suppressed a little but there is a banana seed background, a cobweb laden yeasty and some Tomahawk in there. The odors are surprisingly low key, at least strength-wise I find.

Taste: More grapefruit, biting yeast breaks the bitterness but not the over-hopped character at times. Distilled bitterness weaves itself into a lemon herbal hop strata, however, the hoppy aspect seems muted with only the spicy Saaz working a grassy green outfield finish. Some lingering hops but more of a grapefruit dimension than a hop-laden one. A bit one-sided.

Mouthfeel: Funny, but I felt like the Houblon dipped a mark of two in this field, seems thin, but it’s not, yet it projects a feel that does not quite live up to the strength, which in one aspect is quite remarkable for it certainly makes this one a seriously drinkable brew.

Drinkability: Finished the whole 750ml bottle in no time. I enjoyed draining this one, working hard to break it down as I collected my thoughts in this Review, but it seems that the use of US hops is a little “over-done” here, sure that is positive intentional but it is also a negative reality. Nice enough but it doesn’t really have the cuddly love factor that I so hope to find, the sort of stalking factor that you find in say RRBC Blind Pig IPA. OK, but nothing great.

Overall: Hmmm…so it has a big write up on B.United’s Website, but I am very surprised to see that this ‘new’ Houblon Chouffe is not even mentioned on the Achouffe Brewery Website (as of the date of this Review at least)!!! This I think hints big style at the target market for this brew…..clearly the US, where I think it will do extremely well, not so sure back home though. Sure, I enjoyed it, but strip away the fan-fare and let all the Houblon-talk die down and it’s a nice Hoppy grapefruit Blonde of sorts but its low on the “IPA” traits and it’s no De Ranke XX Bitter, I’ll stick with the latter for my Belgian Hop fix.

750mL green bottle.

A: Fairly pale, hazy yellow color with a big foamy head. Took a lot of care to pour without overdoing the head.

S: Slightly disappointing aroma. Maybe I have an old bottle, because it does not smell very hoppy. Actually it smells a lot like a Heineken.

T: Taste is much better. I really dig the blending of the a Belgian with a hoppier IPA.

M & D: This is a beer you could drink all day. Alcohol is deceptive, it does not taste very strong at all.

I would definitely give this a try again sometime. A really enjoyable and unique brew.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma has a bit of wheat, as well as some grass and orange citrus notes. The flavor is very similar. There is a good bit of toffee and wheat, as well as some grass and citrus in the flavor. The bitterness is fairly low, but the spiciness and yeast-like character is quite high. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice beer.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Golden, light amber - cloudy - huge white head.

S: Fruity estersds - good and hoppy with a faint skunkiness.

T: Lots of carbonation - great hop bite - alcohol comes through a bit mroe than I expected.

M: As i mentioned - lots of carbonation - okay mouthfeel. I would like a bit mreo play from the trippel side of things.

D: Yes - it is drinable and a very good beer.

However - Cali-Belgique and Le Freak are two examples of this style that I like a lot more.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A decent beer, much better than the Piraat of the same style.
Appearance is glorious, massnormous head that sticks around for ever.
Smell is very good as well, balanced floral hops, citrus and a hint of malt.
Taste is not my favorite, kind of creamy and vinegar like.
Mouthfeel is nice and creamy.
Drinkability is decent.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Yellow with some brown. Lots of sediment. Little to no head but it leaves a ring. Sparse bubbles.

S: Lots of apricot. Banana. I'm not getting hops but I do smell a fair amount of pale mats. Smells like it would have a little tang to it.Touch of biscuit. It definitely smells like a tripel, but I don't get the hops I expected. Smells very good.

T: Definitely get the apricot and malt. But I also get a strong medicinal taste. And alcohol. Hops are barely noticeable. Almost like they just happen to be there. Strange bitterness. Cloves. But I like that this beer is not shy.

M: Medium. I was expecting this to fall flat but the crispness of this beer really livens it up. Mas a light to medium dry finish. I enjoyed this aspect of the beer.

O: I'd like to try this on tap. Would love to have it fresher to see if more of the hops come through. Otherwise, I wont be spending so much $ on this beer again.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A-Murky yellow, goldenrod color. Looks like particulate floating throughout the brew. Head is beyond heavy. Couldn't pour this one all at once in to my stein. Head is like a cloud or a pillow, just sitting on top of the beer. Some of it dissipates, but a lump or two remain. Reminds me of a mocha with whipped cream.

S-Sweet citrus and soft hops. Not really what I would expect to smell from a belgian ipa.

T-Nothing exciting. Hops are beyond subtle. Bitterness without the bite.

M-Sticky like it should be. Hangs out a little longer than I would like.

D-Once was enough. I'm sure there are some out there that would love to sit with this one all day, but not me.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Had this on tap at the Lucky Baldwins 10th Annual Belgian fest on 2/15/09.

Pours a hazy yellow with very good lacing and retention.

Aroma is of citrusy american hops, pale malt, and some a bit of funk(?).

Flavor is malty and bitter but the hop flavor has mellowed a lot. I don't get it, I've had this from the bottle a number of times and its good every time. What happened here? Theres also a touch of what seems to be funk., odd

Body is medium/light, plenty of CO2 in solution, and drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

I love the little Chouffe.

A - Into a La Chouffe tulip, an aggressive pour yielded about 25cl of liquid and the rest of the glass head... apparently a perfect pour. It pours a clear golden/straw color with a huge, foamy head. Carbonation is plentiful and beautiful. Chunks of head all over the sides of the glass, and the lacing pattern is ridiculously cool.

S - Reminds me of a tripel, at least on the nose. Fruity, yeast esters, spicy hops on the nose. Definitely a good smelling brew. The more you drink, the more it smells of hops.

T - I went into this expecting tripel and was thrown for a loop. Definite hop profile proves interesting, as well as a major malt backbone not normally noted in most Belgian pales. Alcohol warms the tummy and is noted at times throughout the drink. It plays like... sweet, into fusel, into dry. This would be best on tap, I imagine. Almost soapy.

M - Good, well carbonated, perfect thickness.

D - Obvious fusel alcohol and soapy characteristics sorta blow it for me, yet I still enjoy it well enough to finish the 750ml.

Notes: I had high hopes for this and was slightly let down. I guess I was hoping for an Aldebaran, but got an overly sweet, as opposed to overly hoppy brew. I would love to try this fresh, on tap.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottle. Pours a light orange with a thick, foamy, creamy white head. Aroma of skunk, spices, and yeast. Flavor is light, lots of yeast and melon rind. Some skunk persists. A pretty mellow beer. Slight hoppy bitterness. A typical Belgian ale, nice and easy to drink.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
3.7/5

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated best by 042016 at 45 degrees into snifter
Fruity aroma
Head large (5 cm), white, somewhat fizzy, slowly diminishing to 4 mm ring with a single large island
Lacing poor with a few irregular small islands of large bubbles
Body golden, hazy
Flavor begins with a light sour fruitiness which quickly dies to leave bitterness followed by chalky aftertaste. No alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl.
Palate is light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

A pleasant IPA with a light fruity flavor.

3.66/5  rDev -12.9%

750 mL bottle. No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy pale yellow with hints of peach, almost resembles a Wit beer. Topped by 3 inches of foamy white head! Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:

Dull bitter pine forest with a touch of wet earth. Not what I would call appealing.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

After the head settles and I can get my lips on this one, the flavors that shine through are only mildly hoppy (a combo of Saaz, Amarillo and Tomahawk), with a pleasant fruity backbone. Alcohol is kept nicely in check, and just barely noticeable in the dry finish. A quality beer, though not truly an IPA or a Tripel

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a hazy, shining golden color beneath a massive head of bright-white foam.
Aroma of strong bready yeast notes on a bed of floral and perfumy notes greats the olfactory senses.
Flavor profile as a balanced light malty quality with a floral and fruity center and a dry spicy finish. Flavor is very unique and interesting but in the end doesn’t quite work for me. Mouthfeel is sort of smooth and creamy and first and then has a distinctive chalky bitter finish. Not unpleasant just very dry.
Overall drinkability is fine, this is a very unique, solidly constructed and quality beer, but just doesn’t have the right balance or transition for me.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Great looking gnome on the tall glass holds a hazy golden brew with a thick white foam that lasts until the last sip. Really good retention. I get a real candy sweetness on the nose and some soapyness. Very aromatic and unusual. The taste is sweet and mildly malty with a bit of grapefruit, honey and Saaz spice. This ale is very crisp and dry. The alcohal is there and quite pronounced.
Overall this is too dry for me and far to strong for more than a glass. Intersting though and a good beer to add to flavour experience journey.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

taste- tart, bitter, sweet, little finish

color- straw, gold

clarity- cloudy, lots of sediment

smell- estery, apples, citrus

body- medium-light, front palate weight

appearance- golden, lots of sediment, carbonation, sugary white foamy head

overall impression- good, smooth, sweet

notes- huge carbonation upon opening, a lot of sediment, ice cream like head, thought it would be hoppier, nice balance, disappointed with the presentation in the glass. alcohol creeps in late in the game. this review is for a 2008 vintage tasted in 2008

glassware: tulip

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a cloudy medium orange/amber with flakes of heart suspended within. Lacing looks good though the head dropped fast.
Smell is malt, a sour citrus note, caramel and maple. There is more there but I can't descern what it is. Nice complexity and very well balanced.
Taste is malt with a nice little sour note, some sugar, apple, wood and alcohol as well. Balance is weaker here as is the complexity.
Mostly full body with a drying aspect, medium effervescence and a slight warming after the swallow. Worth trying but not buying a sixer of it.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

The HCDIT pours light, like a Belgian tripel would. Its hazy, yellowish gold with a big fluffy head that quickly fades to a thin lacy film at the top of the glass.

It smells grassy and slightly hay-like. It also has a spicy, sweet hop smell mixed with some Belgian yeastiness.

Taste is at first yeasty. It also has a sweetness mixed with hay and hops. Its definitely an odd combo, part tripel and part IPA. Its a good way to really describe this unique combo as you get a little something from both styles with every sip and smell.

I've never really had anything like this before. Its a strong Belgian with lots of hops. You can't go wrong with this one or any others by the same brewers.

3.64/5  rDev -13.3%

Strong hop nose - citrusy and spicy. Sweet malt in the background also quite prominent. Milder banana and fruity ester profile. Alcohol noticed as it warms.

Pale golden, slightly hazy. Generously-sized white head, retains well. Lacing when swirled.

Curious mix of bitterness, citrus/spice hop flavor, and sweet malt character. Medium-sweet in the finish. Expecting bitterness to linger longer for an "IPA". Alcohol flavor appeared later. Would like this to finish drier and expect to have a little more hop flavor.

Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Body resembles a tripel more than an IPA.

Interesting combination of styles. Hoppiness not quite what I'd expect for an IPA. Finish out a little drier to improve drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours hazy gold with an uncontrollable white head. Big, white, and rocky, it always exploded out of the glass with the slightest pour. The hop aroma is nearly identical to any English IPA. The yeast and spice are there, but drowned out. The same goes for the flavor. Bitter, soapy, and waxy, with more wood, pepper, and pine than sweet citrus. Some esters and tripel-like spice in the end, but unremarkable. Its a good beer, with a big identity crisis.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe