Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

4.2

Ratings: 2,709 |  Reviews: 1,195
3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Huge beer fountain! Luckily I had my tulip on hand to save almost all of the beer. From 11.2oz bottle.

A: Golden yellow / orange with one finger of white fluffy head. Nice lacing. Loads of yeasty sediment.

S: Lemony citrus with some definite funkiness. Hops are much more subtle than I anticipated but do exist when you look for them.

T: Great bitterness throughout. There are bready malts that supply the backbone but don't have a huge showing. The finish is really nice with some bitterness that lingers. Bananas aren't as big as I thought they'd be.

M: Medium body with a good amount of prickly carbonation.

O: In the end this is a great beer. I'd 9/10 prefer a west coast IPA. That being said it's a really interesting amalgamation of a tripel and an IPA. A touch too sweet for me though.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a DFH goblet

Appearance: a hazy golden yellow with a fingers worth of white head that settles about halfway. sticky rings of lacing coat the glass as I enjoy it.

Smells: a lemon and wild yeast type of smell. real hop character comes though everything with a slight floral citrus hop.

Tastes: a floral hop front with a citrus lemon.the carbonation is great with the Belgian style yeast contributing a unique and pleasurable characteristic which I love.

Mouthfeel: at 9% this is a well carbonated unique layered and full flavored ale that is such a enjoyment out of the 11.2 oz bottles. I think the smaller bottle have more of lively taste although I enjoy the bombers as well.

Overall: I really enjoy this ale. I am happy I found it at a small little bottle shop by my place. I will be picking some up soon, probably tomorrow and the next day, and a few day after that. ITS GOOD!!!!

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Very unique beer with the taste of tripel yet hopped up to an IPA feel . The hops are in balance with the citrus notes in the tripel side of things. I found it way too drinkable for the ABV and the whole beer had a light handed touch to the proceedings ( almost a summer beer in feel). I will buy this again as along with De Ranke xx this is one of fave Belgian IPAs

4.03/5  rDev -4%

750ml Bottle

Appearance – Hazy amber colour with a very large size rocky and frothy beige/off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for around 10 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, grapefruit/lemons, wheat

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste malts and hops mixed with yeast/bread/wheat. There is also a lot of citrus taste - lemons and grapefruits mixed with a bit of a coriander spiciness. It ends with a bready yet tart aftertaste with a little bit of a lingering hop bitterness.

Overall – The alcohol is very well hidden and this beer is really easy to drink. The flavours are not as in your face as I thought they would be, but everything is well balanced and tasty. My bottle says best before end of 2011, so maybe I should have opened this a little sooner to see if the hops were more present. I'll buy it again for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Light orange color with lots of yeast flakes floating around. Immense and long lasting head forms frothy hills on the surface and patches all over the glass.

Bright and fresh citrusy hop aroma. I can smell lemon, orange and pine. Underlying aroma of fresh baked biscuits.

Flavor is malty at first with a buttery, biscuity quality. Hops come in strong with a lemony tartness and floral/piney spice. Not overpowering hop character but the dominating flavor mid-drink to end. Honey and baked apple sweetness mingled in and just enough to balance. Alcohol is well hidden.

Medium bodied. Light and crisp feel. Moderate carbonation.

Good brew. The whole IPA Tripel name threw me off a little bit. Hard to tell what style to compare against. Either way it is solid. Lots of complexity while staying crisp and refreshing.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

I like the d'Achouffe brewery. They produce consistent quality beers and Houblon is just another example.

Appearance is golden with soft white head.

Nose is of belgian yeast and subtle hops. Some hints of banana and citrus.

Taste is nice. I always take anything listed as a Belgian IPA for what it is. As a hop head I prefer the American IPAs. The hops on this beer are presant, but they are not very aggressive. The banana and passion fruit are more dominant than the hops. Tastes more like a belgian pale than an IPA... but that is just my opinion. I am a typical american that wants the hops to slap me around a little. Still a very nice and enjoyable drink. Always a fan of d'Achouffe.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a light gold color w/ a two finger white pillowy head. Excellent carbonation and lacing. Very cloudy in appearance. The carbonation is almost like a little tornado in my snifter- a life of its own. The nose is lemon, malt, yeast, hops, and some clove. Not as strong as I'd expect- but still a masterpiece from the smell. It kind of smells like a lemon dessert to me- but not too sweet. Taste is hoppy, but also has a huge malt backbone on it as well. Everything on this beer just works. Very smooth/bitter aftertaste as well. Overall, this is a really fantastic beer, and a great example of the style.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Huge monster head that threatens to overflow my duvel tulip. Body is hazy golden yellow that is borderline too light. Smell is heavy on the belgian yeast. Bananas aplenty! Lemony zing and juicy grapefruit. The juicy grapefruit is quite prominent as well as a dose of peppery notes and a twist of banana. Good balanced belgian ipa. A tab bit ofheat hits the throat.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

A: A hazy light yellow, straw color with a huge white head that sticks to the sides of the glass. Very stiff foam left on the sides of the glass.

S: Sweet grain, Belgian yeast, candy sugar, tropical fruit, hop.

T: Starts with a sweet grain flavor and then the alcohol, candy sugar, and tropical fruit flavors kick in. Finishes rather smooth for an IPA, not too bitter. There is a nice Saaz hop flavor to the beer.

M: Medium body and high carbonation.

O: Very well crafted Belgian IPA, or should I say Tripel? Whatever you want to classify it as, it is pretty amazing.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I love the bottle with the gnome picking hops! I've been holding on to this bottle for a while, and I'm excited to pop it open today!

It pours a hazy golden colour with TONS of carbonation rushing up to the luxurious fluffy white head. There are many little

The aroma is fruity and flowery. The hops are aromatic and dynamic, accenting the light fruit notes.

The flavour is light pear and flowery hops... And hops... And more hops. Fruity flavour and aromatic hops towards the end along with slight bitterness from oily hops.

Overall, this is an exceptionally well balanced beer, and it manages to flawlessly blend characteristics of a good Belgian Tripel AND and an American style Double IPA. Fantastic beer!

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Aroma: rather wild smelling IPA. Floral and fruity, from both yeast and hops, I think.

Excellent flavor despite having a bit of alcohol in the taste. Bright, with hints of tangerines, oranges, cinnamon, white pepper and other spices. Superb aftertaste, with plenty of hop flavor and some mild spicing.

Medium body; very good carbonation. Semi-dry finish. Smooth and mellow considering the 9% ABV.

O - excellent and exceptional, if a bit stronger than optimal for my tastes.

{revised with new tasting in Dec. 2012).

3.15/5  rDev -25%

A: Golden hazy, and choc full of sediment. This is the second variety I've had from this brewery in the 12oz bottle that I've had trouble keeping the sediment out of my glass. So, my perception of color maybe off from loads of sediment suspended throughout my glass. The head is fluffy, nice retention, and leaves lacey legs on the glass.

S: a sharp lemon scent leads the aroma, but there is also a sugary backbone.

T: also lemon - a bit like Pledge. The citrus tone just seemed like artificial flavoring. It then goes into floral hops and yeast. The last taste in the mouth is a faint licorice.

M: medium body, fine carbonation, and sharp bitterness.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: The Houblon poured a slightly cloudy pale gold into a tulip. A huge fluffy white head established itself on top, while yeast sediment (as a result of the car ride home and perhaps an unreasonably rough pour) remained perfectly suspended underneath, like Han Solo in carbonite.

Smell: Citrus hops pop through at first, followed by some Belgian yeast pepperiness and a hint of barnyard funk. Very interesting.

Taste: Not entirely what I expected, but entirely excellent. The hop bitterness hits first and hard, and it’s more prominent here than in the nose. The citrus from the Amarillo pairs wonderfully with the herbal flavors of the Saaz (which for some reason always reminds me of the beers my dad drank when I was growing up, although I suspect the stuff he was drinking in the 1970s United States wasn’t heavy on the Saaz). The yeast adds the expected pepper flavors, as well as just a hint of funk – think early James Brown with the Famous Flames. The malt flavors, which are mostly bready and a little grainy, mostly stand around the side of the room while the hops and yeast fill up the dance floor.

Mouthfeel: The Houblon comes across as relatively light and airy in the mouth despite the high ABV and the big flavors; medium to light bodied.

Drinkability: Quite high. I’ve had this before from time to time and enjoyed it, but in focusing on it for purposes of this tasting I’m incredibly impressed; this is a great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured this baby into my 33 cl Chouffee tulip.

Before actually pouring this brew, I popped the cap off without any agitation, and the beer gushed out all over the place. I literally lost at least one third of the contents in the 75 cl sized bottle.

Ap: The color of this brew is golden and hazy, with a mount of pillowy white head.

Ar: Lemony, spicy, arid clean.

T: Lemony, residual sugar, some white grape.

F: Mildly carbonated (lots lost in the gush), oily, a little warming in the end.

O: A great tasting beer... Just a little pissed of about the gushing!

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle serving at home.

A - Golden clear with a thin white head.

S - Belgian yeast aroma. Hint of fruity hops and just a little bit of caramel.

T - Initial hit of sweet caramel and typical Belgian malty trippel taste. Big fruit hop hit in the middle and a pleasing and lingering bitterness. Really long aftertaste.

M - Full bodied smooth with noticeable alcohol.

O - The original Belgian IPA. Understandable why this style has been replicated by the likes of flying dog and hardknott. Goes well with chilli con carne.

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At the present, this is the #3 ranked Belgian IPA. Hell, I remember when it was #1.... that's how old I am!

I still remember taking this one to my very first tasting ever. The theme: Belgian IPAs. Ahhh... the memories.

"Best Before End 2012."

A: Mildly cloudy, bright orange, with tons of teasties (aka. beer sperm) floating around in the liquid. The head was ridiculous, shaving cream-like, and never let up for a second!

S: Mild puffs of yeast, but I got more "Play Dough" than anything. However, there was a spice zing here that was state of the art!

T: First of all, this reminded me of a saison from Fantome's collection on the front end. In the mid section, I got some of the hop grassiness that I've come to expect from this style. Wet fruity finish!

M: The more I drank of it, the more the bitterness started to heat up. However, I welcomed that. Tight, bubbly carbonation for sure, with sort of a fruity (not sugary) lingering on the palate. The lacing was used car wash stuff....

O: Even though my tastes have changed over the years, this is still pretty much the beer I remember it to be.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

One word is all you need...WOW. It pours a golden peach, mostly standard for the style. However, the head is huge, bright white, full of both large and small bubbles and has amazing retention. As the middle of the head falls, the glass is laced for inches.

The smell is a combination of pear, champagne, pepper, and other fruits. All the differnt scents play equal parts with none taking center stage. In a snifter, you'll get a nice whiff of alcohol.

The taste is a bit strange. The white fruits and spices are present, and balance each other nicely. There's a straw/dried grass taste in the swallow.

Mouthfeel is complex because it starts off slightly sweet and spicy. As it makes its way across your tongue, a fruity, spicy dryness takes over. Well into the finish, it proves to be an IPA with a hoppy bitterness. Despite high ABV, there's little notice of the alcohol.

This was the strangest IPA I've had yet. It was the most complex and didn't have the punch from the hoppy bitterness anywhere. It's a good beer, but different.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

On Tap

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

Hazy golden yellow with a two-finger white head. Lots of lacing down the glass. Exceptional.

Citrus hops, namely lemon, lead the aroma, along with a mild Belgian yeast, bready malts, and a touch of alcohol. This was easily my favorite part of this beer.

The flavor doesn't translate quite as nicely--the flavors get muddled up a bit. The lemon citrus from the hops is still present, but hiding behind a muddy and mild Belgian yeast, bready malts, and a touch of alcohol. Simple.

Medium to full bodied.

A tasty Belgian IPA, and one I remember liking more than this variant on tap.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

11.2oz bottle poured into tulip.

A - Light, hazy golden orange with some sediment floating around. A huge 2" head forms with good retention.

S - Big aromas of spicy hops, citrus and Belgian yeast. Faint hints of sweet malt are coming through as well.

T - Delicious, complex taste. A blast of citrus and spicy flavors up front, with a nice yeasty, malt backbone. Very balanced with a crisp hop bite. The finish is bready with more spices and yeast flavors coming through. Excellent!

M - Medium bodied, smooth and crisp. The alcohol, while well masked, gives off a nice warming feeling.

D - This is one of the best beers I've ever had. I love both IPAs and Belgians, and this is a perfect combination of the two. The drinkability is high and the taste is exceptionable. I will be buying more as soon as possible. Also has one of the best beer labels around.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Second beer I am reviewing today. After crying over the Arsenal Vs. Man United massacre I thought I need to get a little drunk. This was my last purchase after going to Madden Beverage in Saco, Maine. A great place! Anyways....

A: Small head at first, light color but a solid golden color.

S: A skunk I thought, but really had a good funk. Spices of sort.

T: Solid beer after letting it warm up. At first I thought the spices where too strong but after letting it warm it tasted much better.

M: I enjoyed the mouth feel. It was solid body It felt bubbly on top of the mouth. The carbonation was still impressive once it had been in the mouth.

Overall it is a good beer. I don't recommend this beer after drinking something sweet. But a solid IPA.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe