Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

4.2

Ratings: 2,722 |  Reviews: 1,200
3.6/5  rDev -14.3%

Best by: 7/17/13

A: orange grain ale with 3-4 fingers white head that falls to a single finger of meringue head. Cobweb lace.

S: triple is really nice and yeasty. Plenty of coriander and grain. Really nice. Noble. Earthy hops.

T: bitter and sweet. Nice herbal hops with hay, grass, tea. Hint of plastic.

M: thick and hi carb. Slick finish.

O: good beer. Last time for me though.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

25 oz bottle

Pours a pale yellow, nice frothy head and retention. Aroma of resiny, pine hops and a muted belgian yeast fruityness and some lemon. In the flavor, a nice earthy bite from the hops, almost piney but not quite. The Ahtanum hop employed leaves a big bitterness and the earthy pine note. Pale malts and a fruity yeast presence. Alcohol is very light in the flavor. Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, smooth and a good level of carbonation. Overall, this was an above average Belgian IPA. Lovely stuff.

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a hazy light gold color with a tight white head. Very sweet, pilsen malt aroma with a small amount of hop pushing through, surrounded by yeasty fruitiness. Seemingly light body for 9%with moderate carbonation and heavy lacing. Citrus hop flavors surrounded by candy sweetness. Decent amount of alcohol warming at the back of the tounge and throat.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

330ml bottle

A- Clear golden in colour. Dense and perfectly white medium head: nice retention and nice lacing

S- Fresh fruity aromas of orange and lemon. Not so much on the malts side, maybe just a hint of biscuitness. A faint spiciness. Fresh and lively, lacks complexity

T- Biscuit malts are now clearly detectable (with a faint hint of roastiness), but they just bring the base for hop flavours to spread out. Highly refreshing, and almost not bitter at all, flavours of citrus (mainly orange) immediately get dominant, with a more distinct lemon taste on the tongue. A slight hint of spiciness while swallowing and a bitter aftertaste that feels quite empty (no flavours, just bitterness)

M- Big dry body. Alcohol is perfectly hidden. Carbonation is maybe a tad too high, with the beer feeling too prickly on the palate

O- Drinkability is very good, no alcohol is to be found and freshness is king. The beer, though, lacks both the complexity of a classic belgian strong ale and the true bitter character of an american ipa

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured into a tulip glass from a growler I obtained from Lizardville Whiskey Bar in Bedford Heights. Pours a pale, cloudy yellow with a tall tight-bubbled white head that breaks down to a sticky, crystalized lid, leaving cobwebby lacing behind.

Smells heavenly, with biscuity malt, piney hops, and a floral aroma.

Taste is just, wow! Complex, with a fruity start, followed by a mildly malty middle, and a pleasantly hopped finish, with a dry bitterness that lingers at the back of the tongue. Apricots, bananas (a taste I didn't expect, but should haven given the Belgian yeast), and mild citrus up front, with cloves, nutmeg and a peppery spice hitting mid-taste, finished with a dry, resinous piney hop taste that leaves you wanting more.

Medium to full bodied, with a dry, bitter taste.

This is an excellent beer, complex, tasty, and with an active and interesting mouthfeel. It was a pricey growler, but I knew it would be worth it, since finding this on tap around here is certainly a rarity. I've never had bottled, though I've seen it in the store and will make sure to give it a try to see how it compares to this beer on tap.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle
A - a light pour yields a clear golden sparkly ale. A heavier pour brings up the extensive sediments.
S - yeasty bread with a twinge of hops.
T - spice, hops, wheat with a lingering bitter lemon flavor and a touch of sweet.
M - dry, light, and crisp with a nice tingle.
D - excellent drinkability as I like the combination of tripel spices with hops.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

The beer is dark hazy golden, a high white head that is leaving good lacing.

The smell is sweet, floral, somewhat dusty hay, and a tuna can association.

The taste is sweet, sugar, lemon and lime, but also som tuna, finishing with grass and hay.

Medium high carbonation, small foamy bubbles, soft and slightly oily, a big body and dry finish.

A solid triple with extra hops, was tested with the bottled version. Were actually quite different in taste. The on-tap was better.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this at the Alibi Room in Vancouver.

A: Slightly cloudy golden straw. 3/4" white head that dissipated after about two mins.

S: A floral hop type of smell. Not much citrus to this. Smells fresh and clean.

T: Front loaded with hop taste and back loaded with the tripel taste. It really is like the combination of two different beers because of how it transitions while its in your mouth. Crisp aftertaste and low bitterness. My only criticism is that the beer seemed to taste best at the top of the glass and become more harsh as I got further down, not to a bad degree but it just became stronger. Never experienced that before...

M: Light body, dry, fine medium to high carbonation, what you'd expect from a good tripel.

O: Extremely interesting beer as I am more of a fan of hoppy IPAs and ESBs than tripels. Maybe the beer could have been a little tighter with the flavors, but possibly the beer I had was starting to pull apart flavor wise. Regardless, its a recommendable beer.

Last summer, for my birthday, Sheryl surprised me with a beer making class. It was awesome! We went to Great Fermentations and took a class on making beer. It was awesome! We even got a kit for our first batch. We picked an IPA for our first round. We still have a few bottles left, and hope to make more this summer.

I got excited when a Dobbelen IPA Tripel came up. But it has a much smaller IBU than most American IPAs. However, a MUCH higher ABV. So it can’t be so bad. Plus, it smells like a wet, European IPA. Imagine a wet dog… but only in your glass. (Trust me, it’s a good smell… it just smells wet. Trust me, smell it and you will see .)

It doesn’t look like an IPA in the glass. It almost looks like a wheat beer. I expect dark, deep rust colors from a good IPA. Or maybe I have never had a good IPA. Let’s drink.

A first there is a touch of carbonation, then you are smacked in the face with the bitterness. It might only be 90 IBUs, but man… the mouthfeel and the aftertaste are incredible. THAT is what I expect from an IPA. Whoa, that aftertaste is still there… some thirty seconds later. The head gets in the way at first; it’s thick and foamy. But once you see past that this beer is delicious. I really dig this brew.

There is a certain smoothness at first too. It’s almost like you are drinking a fruit juice or something. I wouldn’t say thick… but close. Regardless, this is a great beer, a wonderful addition to the 1001 Bottles list, and one that I will totally buy again. I wonder if they make this on draft? Bottoms up everyone!

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle...

Appearance: Hazy golden honey-like pour with a 2 finger head beautiful frothy head and extensive lacing.

Smell: Real sweet smell and strong hop influence.

Taste: Intense herbal hops with a sweet candied kick.

Mouthfeel: This one requires sip after sip to fully appreciate as it sits lightly dry and carbonated but explosive in it's own right.

Overall: I will be buying this one and the rest from this brewery as this was my first from them as well as my first Tripel. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap off a freshly tapped barrel.

A: Deep, slighlty hazy yellow. Strong two and a half finger head. Fantastic lacing, my glass was coated from top to bottom.

S: Reminds me a lot of La Chouffe with a stronger hop presence. Belgian yeast, spicy fruits, almost like a tripel.

T: Yep, very similar to a tripel. A solid hop presence with the always identifiable belgian yeast. Bannana, pear, and some other citrus I can't pick out. Pretty damn tasty.

M: Probably its shining point. Alcohol is almost undectable. Good carbonation. Smooth with a good bite.

O: Belgian IPA's have always confused me a bit, they seem to be a hybrid of other belgian styles. That said, I really enjoyed this one. Glad I had the chance to taste this fresh on tap. Must try.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

My wife came home a day with a 75 bottle of this IPA and the second thing I did (the first was a kiss to her) was checking the review on BA: A
I waited a while for the right occasion to drink it, but I don't remember wich one it was, because i drunk this IPA again and again, in 33cl bottle and on tap in Achouffe itself, wondering what was wrong, if it was me or the beer.
Tonight I've just finished a 33cl bottle of Houblon Chouffe that comes directly from the Achouffe shop in Achouffe, so it's time to add my two cents.
Good appearance in its Houblon glass (that I don't find having the right shape, neither I like it very much) good head (even if it does not last very long), the goldest gold you can imagine on top, paler on bottom (since the glass narrows). Smell and taste are dominated by hops, and it has a dry, bitter and tart finish I definitely don't like very much. Probably that's the point, it has a so hoppy character I can't deal with. I find it's a good beer, and two slices of gouda did the job to finish it... But... BA says "Generally, Belgian IPAs are considered too hoppy by Belgian beer drinkers". I'm definitely a Belgian beer drinker.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A ~ Strong golden color with very generous and fluffy, foamy head....at least 2-3 fingers laying on top....

S ~ Musty, grass with a little barnyard going on.... some yeast and a mix of floral aromas seeping through

T ~ Little sweeter than I expected, but very tasty! Belgian thru and thru, as the yeasty-breadiness and floralness are present.

M ~ Balanced beer. Well hidden 9%.

O ~ A great choice if you're wanting to dabble in beer from Belgium.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

@ Eastern Standard.

Cloudy gold color with an immense rocky head. Lace stuck everywhere to my wine glass. Why a wine glass you ask? Because that's what Eastern Standard served it to me in.

Bottle has an adorable little gnome on the front and a pictorial representation of the hop bill on the back. Tomahawk is represented by feathers, amarillo by a sombrero and saaz by what appears to be a knight's helmet.

Aroma is musty sweet and airy with the peppery saaz making the most noise. Grass and an underlayer of American citrus.

Dry grass and hay taste with the peppery saaz once again coming to the forefront. Citrusy background. Mouthfeel is a great combination of full, chewy and expansive yet not heavy. Finishes dry.

I was expecting to find a citrus bomb and got a pleasant, airy, saaz bomb. I love the springtime feel that Achouffe has to their beers.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml into a tulip. Pours a heavy hazy orangery gold, towering dense frothy head, ridiculous lacing.

Aroma is all about the hops. Beneath lies the fruity goodness of a spicy, peppery tripel.

IPA dominates over the tripel. The tripel just begins to register before the hops take over cutting short any complexity that may lie below. No citrus, no sense of alcohol. Medium hop bitterness fades the length of the aftertaste. Full bodied shy of cloying.

Improves significantly with warmth as the tripel comes forward.
cheers
jd

A: Pours a hazy honey color with 3 fingers of white head that recedes into a layer of foam on top. Unfortunately I see some floaties. Does that mean it's past freshness?

S: Not much going on here. A faint hop aroma, some alcohol, slight hint of spice.

T: A slightly spicy/hop mix of flavor hits first, followed by a grassy and slightly bitter aftertaste, but overall one note and uninspiring.

M: Thick, bubbly, warms well.

O: Nothing interesting about this one. I wonder if the floaties mean it's past it's due date or if it's just natural for the beer to have it. Also, I'm not sure if this is a tripel, or a belgian IPA, or a dubbel, or what? Definitely won't buy again.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

Found a bottle of this in the fridge at Al's of Hampden in Enola, PA. Despite their extensive tap selection, I chose a bottle of this just because it is something I've always wanted to try but can never really find (I've had La Chouffe and McChouffe in the past). Poured into a tulip glass from the bottle.

Once the bottle is popped open, you better pour it directly into the glass. Just like triple karmeliet, this thing wants to immediately overflow. Then, a big 3-4 finger head sits on the top of the brew in the glass.... very slowly dissipating.

Appearance - Golden yellow in color with 3-4 finger fluffy white head lingering on top right after the initial pour from the bottle. Enormous chunks of yeast noted to be scattered throughout the glass when the beer is examined next to a light source. Nicely carbonated like you'd expect from your typical "living" bottle- conditioned Belgian ale. Overall, very nice-looking beer.

Smell - Candied sugar. Nice Belgian yeast esters. Smells like your typical authentic Belgian tripel would smell.

Taste - Incredible would be the best word I'd use to describe the taste. I love Belgian tripels and I think that's what this tastes like.... one of the better ones I've had recently actually (it's my favorite style and I've had plenty).
The one thing I will say however is that I don't get an IPA-vibe at all. I don't think there is any such thing as a "Belgian IPA". IPA (at least the hoppy floral kind Americans love so much) is a British style originally that predominantly American microbreweries are really pushing to the limits these days (and doing it quite well as american IPAs are my second favorite style of beer).
I just don't get that hoppy floral scent or taste from this thing. Same thing goes for Piraat and a few other "Belgian IPAs" I've had. This isn't a bad thing because I love Belgian yeasty flavors and I wouldn't want strong hop flavors overpowering that.... however I just think "Double IPA Tripel" is a little bit goofy sounding and not 100% accurate.

Mouthfeel - Nice. taste lingers. nicer and nicer as the beer warms. carbonated nicely. goes down smooth. slightly dry but that's not a bad thing in this case.

Overall - If you're looking for your typical, outstanding, well-rounded Belgian tripel, you need not look any further because it is truly incredible. If you see IPA on the bottle and you are a hop-hound and you're expecting this to resemble a typical American IPA (with some belgian flavors mixed in), that's not what you're going to get. I love tripels so I highly highly recommend it. Enjoy.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

750ml green bottle from Supermarket Liquors in Ft. Collins, CO. $10.50. Into a NB Globe.

A: Pours a pale gold with a stark white head that foams up to a good three inches that slowly is settling into a nice cap. Beautiful lacing on this beer. Excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer.

S: Big whiff of skunky hops (why do they do green bottles?), and a ton of yeast esters underneath the hop profile. Quite floral. Surprisingly resinous in the hop profile as well. Lightly grainy as well. Smells nice.

T: Definitely a nice tasting beer, big blast of herbal hops right up front that leads into an estery, fruity yeast profile that really stands up to the hops. Nicely floral as well. Really a lot of flavors here. Decent amount of malt as well, sweet little bit of graininess. Nice amount of bitterness, and no booze at all. Quite tasty.

M: Lighter body, effervescent carbonation, and really dry, slightly warm, but never boozey. Nice.

O: A really nice beer from a style that I'm generally not a huge fan of. This could be a dangerous beer, as there isn't hardly any booze for a 9% beer. I could definitely see me buying this again, or having it at a bar. Very nicely done.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Date Drunk: 12/21/10

750mL into pint glass

I don't know why this is considered a belgian ipa... tastes like a tripel. Lemon grass flavor that is smooth to the mouth, but high carbonation. Gets extremely better as it warms. You cannot even tell this is a 9.0% beer.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from the 750-mL bottle into a tulip.

A: Cloudy, thick, golden straw color. Big three-finger head that recedes to leave a lot of thick lace.

N: Banana & lemon & lime.

T/M: Sweet lemony flavor gives way to banana bread. Slightly oily texture; this beer is very well carbonated, complimenting the oil.

Not as much hop characteristics as I expected, although the hop oil is visibly evident. I had this beer on tap at Wurstküche in Los Angeles, and I remember the hop characteristics to be much more evident--maybe this is because of the bottle conditioning, maybe due to age. Not as impressed by this as I would like to be, but then again, this is not my favorite style. Still rated to style though.

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale hazy golden. Plenty of sediment, little carbonation and a nice 3-finger eggshell head. The didn't last long but it was a pretty pour while it was around.

Wow! This one smells incredibly delicious. A nice floral and yeasty punch right up front that dominates. There is a sweetness in there too. Hops are there but way in the background and not nearly as noticeable as the West Coast IPAs I'm accustomed to.

The taste is Belgian yeast and a nice floral that turns to bitter. The sweetness that I smelled is there but not as powerful as expected from the smell. Hops are nonexistent in the taste.

Its light and crisp and quite refreshing. Being a 9%, I'm a bit surprised by the alcohol here. Isn't tasted much but the drying quality reminds me of a dry Chardonnay.

Overall this was a solid pick up. Its tasty, light and crisp. Definitely a venture out of the typical IPA realm but not an unwelcome one.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Colour is very light brown, almost yellow and bit hazy resembling of some german wheat beers, though this one is more clear than most of the Hefe beers.

Pretty strong carbonation and thick foam, that stays on glass after pouring a long while.

Smell resembles that of a popular Velko Popovicky Kozel and even taste have similarities, although everything is one or two step stronger than in Velko. Especially hops are clearly stronger.

This was somewhat a surprise for me. I couldn't expect that immediately I smell and taste this one, I start to compare this to Velko Light. I like Velko and so I like this, but this bier is made in Belgium, in a land of strong and fulll monastery beers, instead of Czech Republic and is almost twice as strong in alcohol content than the beer I'm comparing it.

I don't know. Perhaps my mouth is lying to me tonight, but in any case thumbs up for this beer!

Edit: And I love the logo on the bottle. Caught my eyes in the liquer store, that's for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

First had: on tap at Eulogy, Philly, PA

Served on tap in a stem glass. Poured a hazy yellow, almost reminiscent of a witbier. Citrusy nose with a bit of spice. Light taste, yet full-bodied. Slightly citrusy, with a smooth hoppiness that wasn't too strong. Very pleasant and drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml into a Stone Cali Belgique glass

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head that fades to some lacing.

Earthy grass hop smell. Some bready malts and yeast also.

Tastes like lemon zest. Mild bitter hop flavor. Crisp and a little dry. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium and is well carbonated.

Overall is excellent and is one of my favorite Belgian beers.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a hazy golden brown with two fingers of pillowy white head. Some yeast is suspended. Head leaves a lot of lacing behind.

Smell is awesome,, combining the best elements of a Belgian yeast and IPA hoppiness. Some sweet malts come through the smell as well.

Taste is crisp and clean, with a great hop presence balanced nicely by sweet malt. Hops dominate however, leaving some nice lingering bitterness.

Great mouthfeel, Realtively light and crisp.

Excellent overall. Clearly the best Belgian IPA I've had.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe