Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 2,745 |  Reviews: 1,201
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Almost fluorescent yellow with a whipped white headthat looks like it will be leaving a chunky mound in the center when I'm done. Spotted lacing all over. Particles floating. Color could be a bit nicer but it's still a beautiful beer.

S- Lychee, grain hops and a good mix of amarillo and saaz. Don't know what Tomahawk hops smell like. Alcohol. Honey which I'm sure is from the Amarillo comes on strong once it warms up.

T- Same as the smell with a nice hop bitterness. A well crafted hop mix.

M- Full. Lively at first and then soft.

D- Very good but the alcohol is strong and slows it down a bit.

Quite a drink. Easy to appreciate but offering lots.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

Grabbed this one on a whim. I have to admit, it's a nice looking bottle. I've had Chouffe before, always like, never love. But it's time to revisit.

Appearance- A nice cloudy gold color. Beautiful two inches of thick meringue head. Not going anywhere at all. Peaks in the middle. Absolutely absurd head. Just comical. Wow. Laces well. I have to give it a perfect score, it's an incredible looking beer.

Smell- Lots of Belgian yeast. A little cider and some spice. Some lemon rind, a hint of grapefruit. Definitely some grassiness. Estery. It's nice.

Taste- More lemon rind, very citrus. Grassy and bitter. Some peppery notes. The finish is very bitter with grass. More booze than expected. Not as much fruity amarillo as expected. Some real graininess on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Good carbonation. A little creamier than I'd prefer.

Drinkability- The grassiness, the graininess, and a little heat doesn't do it for me.

Eh. It's a pretty good Belgian IPA, but I was hoping for more. I thought the amarillo might go further. Instead it had more grass and lemon rind than I'd prefer. Also, surprisingly boozy. It looks incredible however, including the great 11.2 oz bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Maredsous chalice.
Nice 2 or 3 finger frothy head that settled down with nice coverage. Left lacing with almost every drink. Hoppy/floral aroma but not overpowering at all. Same goes with the flavor-hops are spot on. Very nice Belgian spice-one of the most balanced balance offerings i've ever had of the style. Extremelly drinkable for 9%-I had no problem finishing the bottle.

One of, if not my absolute favorite Belgian IPAs-I will be buying this again.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A hazy bright golden color pour with a big lasting foamy white head leving lots of jagged lacing , lively carbonation . Aroma of bright citrus hops , orange and lemon a little like fruit punch , bananas and bread dough . Flavor is hoppy up front with a nice toasty malt backbone , yeasty esters of banana ,and clove . Nice citrus hops , nice level of bitterness , a bit of complexity , medium body with a crisp clean mouthfeel and a long hoppy finish . Very drinkable and good .

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at BXL East in NYC. Served in a Houblon Chouffe flute.

For a small amount of context, I've tried this beer several times before, always bottled. I was universally disappointed, finding a beer not hoppy enough to be an IPA, nor subtle or complex enough to be a good tripel, nor tasty enough to be a worthwhile beer. I gave it many chances, since La Chouffe has been one of my top 10 beers for years. I tried it on tap today on a whim.

---

Appearance: One and a half inch, white, pillowy head dissipates slowly leaving a wall of lacing and never getting below a few millimeters in height for the 20 minutes or so it took me to drink the beer. Color is a hazy, orange juice yellow. Beer leaves big rings of lacing.

Smell: Wow. I'm surprised right off the bat by a big, dank hit of grapefruit hops that immediately remind me of Pliny the Elder. The hop aroma is dominated by citrus; grapefruit and orange. It's (unsurprisingly) not quite as good or complex as Pliny's aroma, but it's almost as dank--this is no criticism, as I haven't found any IPA that smells better than Pliny. This Belgian IPA's smell is strong on the IPA, and beautiful. There's a faint Belgian yeast note, but really the nose is all about hops.

Taste: Surprise for me again: this beer is delicious. Up front I get really full-flavored hops with just enough bitterness, leading to a nice, spicy and subtle Belgian yeast dominated finish. Finally, a Belgian IPA that gets the balance right and makes sense. There's no alcohol present in the taste at all. The flavor is very smooth and clean; nowhere is the cloying sweetness that has ruined almost every attempt at a Belgian IPA that I've tried in the past. There's a decent amount of spice, some not-unpleasant soapiness up front, and even some occasional musty funk. While there's a decent amount of hop bitterness, it doesn't accumulate or detract from anything.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and smooth with prickly carbonation. A bit too thin for either an IPA or a tripel.

Drinkability: Excellent. Satisfies as an IPA and a Belgian ale, and the 9% (!!!) ABV is completely masked.

Fresh Houblon Chouffe on tap has redeemed the entire Belgian IPA style for me. The bottles I've had in the past must have been too old, because this is exactly what I want a Belgian IPA to be (minor, subjective flaws and lack of complexity are all that kept the Smell and Taste categories from being 5s). This was even better than Stone Cali-Belgique, the other Belgian IPA I've liked. Don't miss this if you see it on tap at a trustworthy bar.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured at around 40 degrees F from a 75cl bottle. Golden, even honey/straw colored. Nice, white rocky head that settled over the course of 10-15 minutes in the (sorry) standard pint glass I had. Some lacing and cloudiness. A good looking beer, but not out of this world.

S: Definite spice with some muted fruit in reserve.

T: Ahhhh. That's the ticket. Refreshing. Ample carbonation. Now the spice & hops come through. Spices linger through to the finish which hints of malt. No apparent alcohol for a beer this big.

M: Once again, the carbonation is chasing bubbles around on my tongue. Refreshing, yet not thin. Plenty of presence in my mouth without overdoing it.

D: I would seek this beer out, and drink it repeatedly. Better to do that at home or with a DD.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

33 cl bottle poured into Moinette chalice.

A: Although I don't recall my last bottle of Petit Houblon to be as such, there are TONS of suspended yeast in this brew, which lends to an extremely cloudy, apricot-tinted pour. Some may get turned off by this, but I think it's a fascinating looking beer. Barely any head to speak of.

S: Fresh and mild, with banana, pineapple and faint hops coming through. Very hard for one to consider this offensive in any way.

T: Surprisingly full-bodied compared to the smell, this brew has a lot going on. Hops take the lead role in this beer (amarillo, tomahawk and saaz), but that's not to say that they overwhelm the classic tripel characteristics that are present; it's a very well-balanced beer actually. Alcohol is there, but very pleasant, warming and not at a detraction at all.

M: Mouthfeel is unsurprisingly that of a nicely built tripel - sharp carbonation, tannins and a silky texture. Very nice.

D: This is one of the most interesting takes on a Belgian IPA that I've seen, and it's nice to see the hops used with restraint, which leads to a very balanced beer that drinks extremely well. Extra points for a super cool bottle.

Absolutely wonderful brew.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Served with Course #3 (Spinach salad with candied walnuts, blueberries, crystal ginger and bleu cheese) at the 17th Annual Labor of Love Belgian Beer Dinner.

So I've had this beer before fresh, and upon having it the first time, the flavors were all there but I didn't like how they worked together. So I figured I'd age one to see how they developed in the bottle. This was a 2 year old bottle.
And my god, what an outstanding melange. A cloudy golden head like the locks of the archangel, it strikes from the sky into my chalice.
There is so much to love here, a base earthiness from the toil of the soil, a resinous and mellow pine, a touch of lemongrass, a slight grassy and herbaceous undertone. Everything is married together by the slight clove and spice of the yeast. And it is happiness.

A well-aged Belgian IPA - I was beginning to fear this style was just not for me - paired professionally. I need more of this in my life.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Poured in my St. Bernardus goblet. Epic white head that stays around for the ride. Color is a awesome golden. Definitely very cloudy and lots of sediment floating around.

S- Lots of yeasty Belgian-like smells. Banana, cloves, etc. Also a slight citric hoppyness, but nothing to get super excited about.

T/M- So much flavor in this beer, it is quite awesome. Loads of clove and banana like in the nose. You get a nice bit of foam in almost every sip which makes for a pleasant experience. Hops are not as strong as a hop head might desire, but they are there and you can taste it. You can not taste the 9% alcohol at all, this could be a 6-7% ABV for all I could taste.

D- This can definitely hit your stomach with a punch due to the high carbonation a lot of this wouldn't be desireable but it is a great beer to have a couple off complimented with maybe a good American IPA and a Belgian Tripel.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

This was a really unique beer, not quite and IPA and not quite a Tripel. This beer pours a cloudy light golden straw color with a thick and foamy bright white head. On the nose I pick up strong notes of damp wet hops and pine, with subtle grapefruit and citrus notes. The palate has notes of wet hops some what reminisent of American IPAs but with none of the bitterness, great carbonation and a mouthfeel that reminds me of the St. Bernardus Tripel.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Review from notes on 2/13/10

A - Slightly hazy, golden yellow with an immense, well retained white head and lovely lacing all over the glass. I don't think I've ever seen so much lacing except for Orval and Saxo. Wow. 5.0

S - Earthy, grassy hops, light fruits of apples and pears. Little bit of honey in the aroma. Basically, hops + honey + fruits. Mmmm. 5.0

T - Honey, pilsner malt, lots of earthy and grassy tastes. Heat from alcohol in the finish. Very crisp and refreshing. 5.0

M - Crisp, refreshing, and well carbonated. Warmth from the alcohol. 4.5

D - Extremely. I would finish this whole 750mL myself if I didn't have to share it with my gf. Absolutely delicious. 4.5

Overall - A delicious example of the style. Excellent in all aspects, just a bit prominent in terms of noticeable alcohol.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: a regal apricot colored body with touches of gold, light red, and honey. A mass of sticky connected lace is hugging almost all of the available space in my tulip glass. The remaining globs of white fluff look most impressive. As far as looks go this one is top notch

S: huge presence of spicy, floral, and grassy hops. Another leading role in the way of smell is the yeasty and sweet lemon bubblegum whiffs moving about. A slight musk is making an appearance as well. This is shaping up to be real nice...

T: this has a hop profile that takes the cake. What a creation: peppery, fruity, spicy, citrusy, sweet and funky. The yeast character is in a good way and provides a lemon, grapefruit, and vanilla flavored sugar cookie. I am at a loss of words right now...just pure goodness. I am also finding that a light fruity bubblegum flavor is in the mix with a few crushed cloves. A very unique synthesis of flavors

M: things keep getting better. A medium and creamy body runs the show allowing a sticky spicy sweetness to last on the tongue. This hop bomb is starting to get hotter as the sips continue. A very nice carbonation continues to tickle the tongue and provide that extra snap making for a great drinker

D: absolute great madness. Incredibly balanced and drinkable. I seem to have run out of superlatives. This is the real deal

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this on draught at a special Belgium event at Chappy's in Dayton -- served in a special 6 oz wine-like tasting glass.

A: Clear golden, thin head produces some nice lacing

S: Fruity, grapefruit Aroma.

T: Lots of hoppy grapefruit and citrus tones in the taste.

M: Light to Medium bodied

D: Tasted more like an IPA to me than a Belgium, although you can certainly pick up some of the Belgium yeast characteristics underneath the hoppiness. Still very good and worth a try -- but not my favorite Belgium.

3.82/5  rDev -9%

The Houblon Chouffe never disappoints. I always enjoy this beer. I love hoppy beers, so this is a nice treat when trying out Belgian beers. It has such a unique taste. Definitely my favorite of the Chouffe's.

It definitely has a strong taste, so you have to prepared to taste some strong brew.

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Thick straw yellow, murky with particulate. Amazing thick frothy head that developed into a miniature mountain range. Very good lacing and head retention.

S - The weak point of this beer due to the skunkyness resulting from the green bottle. This aside there is a distinguished trippel smell with subtle malt and spicyness. The aromas from all the traits of this beer blend exceptionally well leading to a very delicate sweetness. I can only imagine this is a result of some of the hop aroma deteriorating due to the potential age of the brew.

T - To begin there is the delicate sweetness from the grain and possibly some candi with a rounded lemony aroma and mild spicyness. Following this is a very minute hint of grapefruit and finally a distinguishing bitterness upon swallow.

M - Well carbonated, very smooth and relatively crisp.

D - Exceptionally well balanced with all the traits melding together almost seamlessly leading to an extremely refreshing beer. Without the skunkyness this would an excellent beer to have quite frequently. The balance and refreshing-ness are remarkable for something with 9% alcohol.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Yellow color, a bit cloudy. Head is pure white and frotty, quite big actually. Some lacing though.

S: Some strong floral and grapefruit smell coming off the nose. Under that, there is what you'd expect from a tripel: green apple peel, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, light honey and brown sugar. Not very strong though.

T: Hops are surprisingly strong here. Nice grapefruit and piny/herbal hops, nice and dry. The tripel characteristics come second, nothing being very dominant. Some sweetness, the green apple skin taste is also there. But the spices I enjoy so much in tripels are nowhere to be tasted, I can barely taste some cinnamon but that's it, no cloves or pepper. Much less complex than I expected.

M: Medium mouthfeel with mid to high carbonation, what I'd expect from a 9% IPA. Very lively.

D: The dryness, the total absence of alcohol taste and the not overpowering body makes it quite easy to drink.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a nice honey golden color with voluminous, thick, white head. Beautiful lacing/head. Great retention into a little cap. Smell is of clove with some lighter malts dancing in and out. Maybe some banana too. Pretty light though. Taste has some alcohol in it, but the clove/fruity tripel is nicely balanced by some slightly bitter hops. Very interesting combination, definitely what I would envision a Belgian IPA to be. Slight bitter finish. Light in the mouth, good carbonation, this one is an easy drinker. For 9%, it drinks like 5%. Delicious beer, though a unique one, I feel like I might not always be in the mood for one of these.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy, golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of pale hops, slight citrus, sweet malt, and slight yeast. Fits the style of a Belgian IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, slight pale malt, yeast, slight wheat, and hops. Overall, good body, blend, and appearance.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Draft pour into a tulip glass.

A: Medium size white fizzy head eventually laying down incredible lacing in the form of patchy sheets. Decent retention eventually becomes a thin film and collar. The body is a pale yellow with extremely faint green tints which become more apparent when backlit. Semi cloudy.

S: The aroma is balanced, leaning towards yeasty over hoppy. Semi-piney, barely sprucey. Toasted toffee malts. Hay and dough.

T: Follows the nose. Not sweet enough to be a tripel, not hoppy enough to be a Belgian IPA. Falls somewhere in between. I've got to admit, I'm a little clueless what to expect with beers under the Belgian IPA category (although I've had Houblon Chouffe many times). I feel that this category should not be the catch all that it has come to be. Surely Houblon Chouffe has been brewed well before the Belgian IPA category came into existence.

M: Super powerful with both lively and fizzy carbonation. This beer holds up really well after a few vicious swirls to bring about the aroma. Biting.

D: This beer is a classic. And while it is good, I do not find it terribly interesting. I have no thoughts on buying another any time soon. Overrated in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

nice yellow color with white suds

nose is of honey, pear, yeast spice, and candy sugar. complex and inviting

on the palate the beer is lightly sweet with some spice and fruity notes. little to no bitterness but delicious and full.

the mouthfeel is full, lightly sweet and well carbonated. very nice

for drinkability, if i wanted an ipa, this would not do. on its own, the beer is fantastic with lots of character and great balance.

2.67/5  rDev -36.4%

A= Pours a fizzy yellow color with a nice big white head thats got big ol bubbles and some decent retention to it. Spotty lacing.

S= Geez. Tons of skunk. Damn green bottles. People say you shouldn't review beers that have obviously gone bad but I disagree. This beer smells skunky as hell and I blame the green bottle. Buried deeper than the skunk I get basic tripel smells that actually aren't half bad. Nice yeast spicyness from it and a small hop character. Not real bad and if you look past the skunk and really bury your nose you get some pretty nice tripel smells from it.

T= Luckily the taste isn't nearly as skunky as the smell was. It still does have skunk to it however. It has a nice tripel taste to it nothing really great but then there is a bit of residual sweetness. Sort of a sugar water sweetness to it. The hops are missing almost completely only a bit of bitterness on the finish.

M= Super dry. One of the dryest beers I've ever tasted. Dry to the point of desert powder dry.

D= I wish this bottle wasn't skunked. Again like I said I know some people think that a beer shouldn't be reviewed when it has an obvious flaw but I disagree. This beer wasn't that bad when you look past some of the flaws but even under that it just isn't that great.

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

Let me preface by saying this bottle definitely had some age on it, which no doubt negatively affected its hop character.

Pours a cloudy, light amber with a thick and creamy white head; cloying lace.

Very biscuity aroma. A yeasty twang is noticeable too along with some pepper, oranges, and herbal hop aroma (subdued). I think the age of the bottle affected the aroma the most.

Biscuit malt upfront with some light pepper and medicinal hop flavors. Dry on the tongue (powdery?) with a bitterness that hits late. Some sugary sweetness is present. Very clean taste, with some orange and citrus rinds. Alcohol is very well masked; drinks like a 5%. Well balanced.

Creamy and highly carbonated, definitely mouth enveloping.
Alcohol is very well masked, but flavors are too subdued and not palate seducing.

Update 8/12/10

Had a fresher version and I have updated my rating.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml bottle bought from Beersofeurope.com...

Poured a light golden yellow colour with a slight haze... White head poured big, thick and foamy and faded slowly to good thick layer... lots of sticky clingy lacing...

Aroma - Lots of spicy yeast mixed with tart fruits (lemons, pears, grapefruits, apples), some light honey sweetness, grassy and citric hops, light biscuit malts, some traces of basil and light coriander, very floral and earthy...

Taste - Again strong spicy hop bitterness and Belgian yeastiness mixed together, lots of citrus, hint of green apple and pear, quite grassy, faint clove, light sugary sweetness, peppery, quite herbal, earthy, some chalkiness, floral...

Feel - Very sharp and dry. Light body. Very refreshing and pretty drinkable - dangerously so at 9%..

Overall - A very good beer !! Highly recommended !! Another excellent brew from d'Achouffe...

4.41/5  rDev +5%

75cl bottle (bb 6/1/12) into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: An easy pour into the upright tulip results in a lofty 3" head (note to self: Weyerbacher tulip more volatile than Duvel) of creamy white foam that perches haughtily atop a slightly hazy, bright gold body. The big head recedes slowly and unevenly, leaving nice chunky lacing all over the glass before I top things off, raising a now-rocky crest back over the rim of the glass. Gorgeous beer, and exactly what I want to see out of a tripel.

S: The hops and yeast go toe-to-toe, with spicy yeast esters narrowly winning the battle against the predominantly floral and earthy hops (I'm definitely getting more from the Saaz than from the Tomahawk and Amarillo, although there is just a hint of citrus to be found). A little bit of bready malt shows up toward the tail end, but this nose is much more about the yeast and hops. It's certainly a pleasant aroma, but I can imagine things being a bit more balanced the dominant aromas (i.e., I'd like a stronger American hop presence).

T: Starts out with delicious Belgian yeast flavors, with fruit (apple and pear) going hand in hand with round spiciness. A bit of sweetness from the malt follows, and immediately gives way to a bitter hoppy finish (again, more earthy and spicy noble hop character here). Just a bit of alcohol on the aftertaste, but the hops go a low way to covering it up. This beer really lives up to its billing as a DIPA Tripel. Tasty stuff.

M: Clean medium body with tons of smooth, soft, mouth-filling carbonation. Very nice.

D: For being highly hoppy, highly yeasty, and highly alcoholic, this is simply a delight to drink. I'm not anticipating any difficulties making my way through the bottle.

Notes: While I'm a huge fan of Belgians and IPAs, I'd yet to be impressed with a Belgian IPA (Urthel Hop-it being the most disappointing example to come to mind). I was a bit skeptical of this one, despite its strong reviews, but one sip put all my fears to rest. This is simply a delicious beer, and although I might prefer just a bit more from the hops, I can't complain about anything that's actually in the beer. I liked it far more than regular La Chouffe, and would recommend it to anyone with a taste for hops and Belgian yeast.

Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Pours a very clear golden color. Huge white rocky head. Excellent head retention and lace.

Floral and peppery in the nose. Aoma is light on fruit. A light, cracker like malt base seems to blend in well with the hop aroma. A bit of earthy, Belgian yeasty notes.

A nice light cracker malt up front, just a bit of sweetness. Very restrained fruity notes. A good dose of earthy, herbal and loral hops. Bitterness is not overwhelming, but there is enough to give it an IPA feel. Dries out as it finishes.

Lighter body with a good amount of carbonation. Some alcohol is felt, but still hidden pretty well. This is a pretty enjoyable beer.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe