Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 2,755 |  Reviews: 1,204
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance -- Pours golden and translucent with one finger of fluffy lily-white head.

Smell -- big citrus hops, funky yeastiness, band-aid, and some clove.

Taste -- Lots of pine and citrus rind hop flavor up front, followed by bready and tropical fruit sweetness. Finishes with some bittering and orange peel.

Mouthfeel -- medium-bodied with loads of prickly carbonation. Finish is resinous and a little dry.

Drinkability -- Devilishly drinkable. Crisp, refreshing, well-rounded, and with an abv that is dangerously well hidden. Will revisit shortly!

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from an 11.2-oz. bottle into my Terrapin snifter.

Appearance: A gentle pour with a bit of 'pop' at the end yielded a beautiful pale orange beer with a little less than a one-finger white head. This ale is absolutely opaque, and what is this that stands before me? Sediment?! I think I'm in love.

Smell: Belgian yeast and a nice hop aroma. I can just imagine being in the hop fields.

Taste: A perfect blend of Belgian malts and hoppy bite on the back of the tongue. I can feel the alcohol travelling down, too; it's nice and warm. I can't recall ever having a Belgian beer with such an overt hop presence. Dobbelen IPA Tripel, is it? Well, I'm game.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp; tangy, I'd say. Medium body. Coats the mouth well.

Drinkability: This is an interesting mix of Belgian and American styles, and I've loved every sip of it.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bottle at Easten Standard (Boston, MA) on May 26, 2010.

The server poured aggressively and I got a huge billowy foam. Poured a nice light orange-ish gold. The thick head stuck around for a while and left some beautiful lacing.

Smells of alcoholic and hop citrus.

Very citrus up front with some slight grassy earthiness and a slight bitterness. Definitely some spice as well as a bit of sweetness. Hops not as aggressive as an American IPA. The heat of the alcohol is ever present.

Light bodied, thinner than I would have expected. Very refreshing and highly drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

I poured this too fast and got a lot more foam than expected...and it stuck around! Rich and billowy and leaving lace all the way down the glass. After I drank a little, I tried to add a little more and the resulting addition of foam overflowed the sides and left lace down the outside of the glass. As I drained the last of the beer from the glass, two fingers of foam remained. Now this is how you get carbonation and proteins to play together! The color is a pale yellow with a hint of orange.

The hops smell is wonderful. Lemon/lime and grassy notes compete as a team, as if you had just finished mowing the lawn in a lemon grove and quenched your thirst with some homemade lemonade. A touch of sourness rounds it out.

Some sweetness up front, a little biscuity. The citrus tones continue on the tongue tempered with a little peppery spice. The alcohol content is barely distinguishable as a little heat on the palate and the Belgian yeast adds the requisite sour tones.

A light body with excellent carbonation, crisp and clean with little aftertaste.

Quite a complex beer with many wonderful aspects of the Belgian brewing tradition. Definitely a beer to savor, especially since the ABV will have you feeling good in no time. I tried Flying Dog's Raging Bitch before this and there is no comparison, but I didn't expect there to be.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottle pours cloudy medium yellow with thick meringue-like white head. Nice aroma of fruity light esters. I enjoyed the taste which is sweet malts, light fruits, yeasts and spices. The finish is dry, hoppy and fairly long. Palate moderate, not heavy.

The question is do you want a tripel with an IPA finish. If you do then this is a very nice beer. I would have preferred a cleaner finish which spoiled it a bit for me. I understood what this was a tripel/IPA hybrid when I bought it so can not be too critical. If this is the kind of beer you want, it delivers.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Tap into a Tulip
A:cloudy straw-colored, moderate head with some lacing

S: mild grassy aromas, light hoppy spice

T: Strong but not overpowering alpha bitterness to start, fruity yeast and citrus presence. Dry and pleasing finish.

M: This brew has moderate body and increased carbonation.
The fizz and the hops leave an almost parched mouthfeel (it is the only way I can describe it..)

D: enjoyable to drink, although the feeling of disproportionate bitterness wouldn't make it a session for me

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle to a tulip.

Opening the bottle it released quite a fast exploding fizz from the top. When poured finally it looks cloudy orange and yellow. Looks super fizzy..

Smells kinda like a mix of laundry detergent, weed, perfume. Followed by some rice like maltiness. Complex.

Tastes like hoppiness. Sweet in the front of the mouth with a nice bitterness and crisp mouthfeel. Some belgian yeast flavors are coming though as well. I'll definitely try this one again.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the 750ml bottle into a snifter. Thick, fluffy white head, with a straw coloured body, bit hazy from the yeast. Smells primarily of hops, bit citrusy, some alcohol esters, some yeast. Nice head retention, lacing is thick, clumpy and sticky. Taste is quite hoppy, got alot more of the alcohol as I got closer to the bottom of the glass, definitely the Belgian yeast coming through also. Not too bitter, pretty nice for an IPA. Almost drank the whole 750 by myself, save a bit which I shared but I probably could have. Alcohol really stands out the more I had, and detracts from the drinkability however. Overall, my first experience with a belgian IPA and was pleased!

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Golden, light amber - cloudy - huge white head.

S: Fruity estersds - good and hoppy with a faint skunkiness.

T: Lots of carbonation - great hop bite - alcohol comes through a bit mroe than I expected.

M: As i mentioned - lots of carbonation - okay mouthfeel. I would like a bit mreo play from the trippel side of things.

D: Yes - it is drinable and a very good beer.

However - Cali-Belgique and Le Freak are two examples of this style that I like a lot more.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a very light straw gold with frothy head that died quickly but left some lace patches. A mix of sour and tart fruit flavors along with a healthy hop presence and some funk makes up the aroma. A great balance is in this beer as this beer is light to medium bodied but contains a good sweet edge plus some sticky caramel malt. Also has a good orange/yeasty feel with citric hops for a dry, crisp finish that is bubbly thanks to great carbonation. A decent amount of biscuit/caramel malt work their way into the beer as well and there is also a smalle sour/tart edge. A great ale that is easy to sip with well-hidden ABV and is more sweet than sour but still has a good hoppy profile.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Almost fluorescent yellow with a whipped white headthat looks like it will be leaving a chunky mound in the center when I'm done. Spotted lacing all over. Particles floating. Color could be a bit nicer but it's still a beautiful beer.

S- Lychee, grain hops and a good mix of amarillo and saaz. Don't know what Tomahawk hops smell like. Alcohol. Honey which I'm sure is from the Amarillo comes on strong once it warms up.

T- Same as the smell with a nice hop bitterness. A well crafted hop mix.

M- Full. Lively at first and then soft.

D- Very good but the alcohol is strong and slows it down a bit.

Quite a drink. Easy to appreciate but offering lots.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

Grabbed this one on a whim. I have to admit, it's a nice looking bottle. I've had Chouffe before, always like, never love. But it's time to revisit.

Appearance- A nice cloudy gold color. Beautiful two inches of thick meringue head. Not going anywhere at all. Peaks in the middle. Absolutely absurd head. Just comical. Wow. Laces well. I have to give it a perfect score, it's an incredible looking beer.

Smell- Lots of Belgian yeast. A little cider and some spice. Some lemon rind, a hint of grapefruit. Definitely some grassiness. Estery. It's nice.

Taste- More lemon rind, very citrus. Grassy and bitter. Some peppery notes. The finish is very bitter with grass. More booze than expected. Not as much fruity amarillo as expected. Some real graininess on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Good carbonation. A little creamier than I'd prefer.

Drinkability- The grassiness, the graininess, and a little heat doesn't do it for me.

Eh. It's a pretty good Belgian IPA, but I was hoping for more. I thought the amarillo might go further. Instead it had more grass and lemon rind than I'd prefer. Also, surprisingly boozy. It looks incredible however, including the great 11.2 oz bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Maredsous chalice.
Nice 2 or 3 finger frothy head that settled down with nice coverage. Left lacing with almost every drink. Hoppy/floral aroma but not overpowering at all. Same goes with the flavor-hops are spot on. Very nice Belgian spice-one of the most balanced balance offerings i've ever had of the style. Extremelly drinkable for 9%-I had no problem finishing the bottle.

One of, if not my absolute favorite Belgian IPAs-I will be buying this again.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A hazy bright golden color pour with a big lasting foamy white head leving lots of jagged lacing , lively carbonation . Aroma of bright citrus hops , orange and lemon a little like fruit punch , bananas and bread dough . Flavor is hoppy up front with a nice toasty malt backbone , yeasty esters of banana ,and clove . Nice citrus hops , nice level of bitterness , a bit of complexity , medium body with a crisp clean mouthfeel and a long hoppy finish . Very drinkable and good .

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at BXL East in NYC. Served in a Houblon Chouffe flute.

For a small amount of context, I've tried this beer several times before, always bottled. I was universally disappointed, finding a beer not hoppy enough to be an IPA, nor subtle or complex enough to be a good tripel, nor tasty enough to be a worthwhile beer. I gave it many chances, since La Chouffe has been one of my top 10 beers for years. I tried it on tap today on a whim.

---

Appearance: One and a half inch, white, pillowy head dissipates slowly leaving a wall of lacing and never getting below a few millimeters in height for the 20 minutes or so it took me to drink the beer. Color is a hazy, orange juice yellow. Beer leaves big rings of lacing.

Smell: Wow. I'm surprised right off the bat by a big, dank hit of grapefruit hops that immediately remind me of Pliny the Elder. The hop aroma is dominated by citrus; grapefruit and orange. It's (unsurprisingly) not quite as good or complex as Pliny's aroma, but it's almost as dank--this is no criticism, as I haven't found any IPA that smells better than Pliny. This Belgian IPA's smell is strong on the IPA, and beautiful. There's a faint Belgian yeast note, but really the nose is all about hops.

Taste: Surprise for me again: this beer is delicious. Up front I get really full-flavored hops with just enough bitterness, leading to a nice, spicy and subtle Belgian yeast dominated finish. Finally, a Belgian IPA that gets the balance right and makes sense. There's no alcohol present in the taste at all. The flavor is very smooth and clean; nowhere is the cloying sweetness that has ruined almost every attempt at a Belgian IPA that I've tried in the past. There's a decent amount of spice, some not-unpleasant soapiness up front, and even some occasional musty funk. While there's a decent amount of hop bitterness, it doesn't accumulate or detract from anything.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and smooth with prickly carbonation. A bit too thin for either an IPA or a tripel.

Drinkability: Excellent. Satisfies as an IPA and a Belgian ale, and the 9% (!!!) ABV is completely masked.

Fresh Houblon Chouffe on tap has redeemed the entire Belgian IPA style for me. The bottles I've had in the past must have been too old, because this is exactly what I want a Belgian IPA to be (minor, subjective flaws and lack of complexity are all that kept the Smell and Taste categories from being 5s). This was even better than Stone Cali-Belgique, the other Belgian IPA I've liked. Don't miss this if you see it on tap at a trustworthy bar.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured at around 40 degrees F from a 75cl bottle. Golden, even honey/straw colored. Nice, white rocky head that settled over the course of 10-15 minutes in the (sorry) standard pint glass I had. Some lacing and cloudiness. A good looking beer, but not out of this world.

S: Definite spice with some muted fruit in reserve.

T: Ahhhh. That's the ticket. Refreshing. Ample carbonation. Now the spice & hops come through. Spices linger through to the finish which hints of malt. No apparent alcohol for a beer this big.

M: Once again, the carbonation is chasing bubbles around on my tongue. Refreshing, yet not thin. Plenty of presence in my mouth without overdoing it.

D: I would seek this beer out, and drink it repeatedly. Better to do that at home or with a DD.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

33 cl bottle poured into Moinette chalice.

A: Although I don't recall my last bottle of Petit Houblon to be as such, there are TONS of suspended yeast in this brew, which lends to an extremely cloudy, apricot-tinted pour. Some may get turned off by this, but I think it's a fascinating looking beer. Barely any head to speak of.

S: Fresh and mild, with banana, pineapple and faint hops coming through. Very hard for one to consider this offensive in any way.

T: Surprisingly full-bodied compared to the smell, this brew has a lot going on. Hops take the lead role in this beer (amarillo, tomahawk and saaz), but that's not to say that they overwhelm the classic tripel characteristics that are present; it's a very well-balanced beer actually. Alcohol is there, but very pleasant, warming and not at a detraction at all.

M: Mouthfeel is unsurprisingly that of a nicely built tripel - sharp carbonation, tannins and a silky texture. Very nice.

D: This is one of the most interesting takes on a Belgian IPA that I've seen, and it's nice to see the hops used with restraint, which leads to a very balanced beer that drinks extremely well. Extra points for a super cool bottle.

Absolutely wonderful brew.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Served with Course #3 (Spinach salad with candied walnuts, blueberries, crystal ginger and bleu cheese) at the 17th Annual Labor of Love Belgian Beer Dinner.

So I've had this beer before fresh, and upon having it the first time, the flavors were all there but I didn't like how they worked together. So I figured I'd age one to see how they developed in the bottle. This was a 2 year old bottle.
And my god, what an outstanding melange. A cloudy golden head like the locks of the archangel, it strikes from the sky into my chalice.
There is so much to love here, a base earthiness from the toil of the soil, a resinous and mellow pine, a touch of lemongrass, a slight grassy and herbaceous undertone. Everything is married together by the slight clove and spice of the yeast. And it is happiness.

A well-aged Belgian IPA - I was beginning to fear this style was just not for me - paired professionally. I need more of this in my life.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Poured in my St. Bernardus goblet. Epic white head that stays around for the ride. Color is a awesome golden. Definitely very cloudy and lots of sediment floating around.

S- Lots of yeasty Belgian-like smells. Banana, cloves, etc. Also a slight citric hoppyness, but nothing to get super excited about.

T/M- So much flavor in this beer, it is quite awesome. Loads of clove and banana like in the nose. You get a nice bit of foam in almost every sip which makes for a pleasant experience. Hops are not as strong as a hop head might desire, but they are there and you can taste it. You can not taste the 9% alcohol at all, this could be a 6-7% ABV for all I could taste.

D- This can definitely hit your stomach with a punch due to the high carbonation a lot of this wouldn't be desireable but it is a great beer to have a couple off complimented with maybe a good American IPA and a Belgian Tripel.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

This was a really unique beer, not quite and IPA and not quite a Tripel. This beer pours a cloudy light golden straw color with a thick and foamy bright white head. On the nose I pick up strong notes of damp wet hops and pine, with subtle grapefruit and citrus notes. The palate has notes of wet hops some what reminisent of American IPAs but with none of the bitterness, great carbonation and a mouthfeel that reminds me of the St. Bernardus Tripel.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Review from notes on 2/13/10

A - Slightly hazy, golden yellow with an immense, well retained white head and lovely lacing all over the glass. I don't think I've ever seen so much lacing except for Orval and Saxo. Wow. 5.0

S - Earthy, grassy hops, light fruits of apples and pears. Little bit of honey in the aroma. Basically, hops + honey + fruits. Mmmm. 5.0

T - Honey, pilsner malt, lots of earthy and grassy tastes. Heat from alcohol in the finish. Very crisp and refreshing. 5.0

M - Crisp, refreshing, and well carbonated. Warmth from the alcohol. 4.5

D - Extremely. I would finish this whole 750mL myself if I didn't have to share it with my gf. Absolutely delicious. 4.5

Overall - A delicious example of the style. Excellent in all aspects, just a bit prominent in terms of noticeable alcohol.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: a regal apricot colored body with touches of gold, light red, and honey. A mass of sticky connected lace is hugging almost all of the available space in my tulip glass. The remaining globs of white fluff look most impressive. As far as looks go this one is top notch

S: huge presence of spicy, floral, and grassy hops. Another leading role in the way of smell is the yeasty and sweet lemon bubblegum whiffs moving about. A slight musk is making an appearance as well. This is shaping up to be real nice...

T: this has a hop profile that takes the cake. What a creation: peppery, fruity, spicy, citrusy, sweet and funky. The yeast character is in a good way and provides a lemon, grapefruit, and vanilla flavored sugar cookie. I am at a loss of words right now...just pure goodness. I am also finding that a light fruity bubblegum flavor is in the mix with a few crushed cloves. A very unique synthesis of flavors

M: things keep getting better. A medium and creamy body runs the show allowing a sticky spicy sweetness to last on the tongue. This hop bomb is starting to get hotter as the sips continue. A very nice carbonation continues to tickle the tongue and provide that extra snap making for a great drinker

D: absolute great madness. Incredibly balanced and drinkable. I seem to have run out of superlatives. This is the real deal

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Had this on draught at a special Belgium event at Chappy's in Dayton -- served in a special 6 oz wine-like tasting glass.

A: Clear golden, thin head produces some nice lacing

S: Fruity, grapefruit Aroma.

T: Lots of hoppy grapefruit and citrus tones in the taste.

M: Light to Medium bodied

D: Tasted more like an IPA to me than a Belgium, although you can certainly pick up some of the Belgium yeast characteristics underneath the hoppiness. Still very good and worth a try -- but not my favorite Belgium.

3.82/5  rDev -9%

The Houblon Chouffe never disappoints. I always enjoy this beer. I love hoppy beers, so this is a nice treat when trying out Belgian beers. It has such a unique taste. Definitely my favorite of the Chouffe's.

It definitely has a strong taste, so you have to prepared to taste some strong brew.

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Thick straw yellow, murky with particulate. Amazing thick frothy head that developed into a miniature mountain range. Very good lacing and head retention.

S - The weak point of this beer due to the skunkyness resulting from the green bottle. This aside there is a distinguished trippel smell with subtle malt and spicyness. The aromas from all the traits of this beer blend exceptionally well leading to a very delicate sweetness. I can only imagine this is a result of some of the hop aroma deteriorating due to the potential age of the brew.

T - To begin there is the delicate sweetness from the grain and possibly some candi with a rounded lemony aroma and mild spicyness. Following this is a very minute hint of grapefruit and finally a distinguishing bitterness upon swallow.

M - Well carbonated, very smooth and relatively crisp.

D - Exceptionally well balanced with all the traits melding together almost seamlessly leading to an extremely refreshing beer. Without the skunkyness this would an excellent beer to have quite frequently. The balance and refreshing-ness are remarkable for something with 9% alcohol.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe