Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

4.2

Ratings: 2,716 |  Reviews: 1,199

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked up by my wife because she thought the little guy was cute on the front. Poured into a tulip that does not have a cool or popular brewer's logo on it.

The beer looks and smells beautiful. The color is much lighter than expected, nice and gold. As already mentioned the head is brilliant. A normal pour resulted in the tulip being half beer and half head.

Taste was dissapointing. Drinks like a 5% pilsner with barely a hint of alcohol and a dissapointing finish. I think this beer does not travel well, as it is currently summer here in the US and the bottle is pale green. Why oh why would a brewer work hard than bottle in a green bottle and send his product 1/2 way around the world? I would love to try it in Belgium, I bet its fantastic. Will try again but my hopes aren't too high.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

I was pretty excited to try this since it combines two of my favorite styles, so I went into it with pretty high expectations. Huge head almost looks like a root beer float, thick enough that I even dipped my finger in and tried the foam, which was very hoppy by the way.

The aroma is pretty much what you would expect, syrupy and yeasty malt from a trippel, and hoppy from a DIPA. The hops were quite skunky and resinous, as opposed to a more floral or citrus smell.

The taste was initially like a trippel, yeasty syrupy malt that was a little spicy, followed quickly by an array of hop flavors, mainly perfume-like resinous and floral flavors, with a little citrus flavor. As the beer when on though I had a harder and harder time with it. When the novelty of the combination started wearing off, I did not like the overall feel of the beer. A very pine-like and resinous hop flavor started to dominate the beer in the finish that I was having a hard time stomaching with the thicker Belgian malt. After trying this beer, I feel like DIPAs need a sweeter malt to balance the bitterness from the hops, not a thick starchy syrup malt. There were some good darker fruit flavors that came through from the combination of the sweetness in the malt and the tartness from the hops, but as a whole, I was not too impressed with the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel was a bit dry from the resinous hops, it wasn't sticky at all from the malt.

The drinkability, for me, was way down since it found the flavor so trying. I appreciate the creativity of this beer, but I just felt like it was the wrong combination of styles, and at least of hops. I want to try a something like this with more citrus flavored hops and less pine-like ones.

2.94/5  rDev -30%

The liquid in the bottle looked so infested with sediment, but it settled nicely. Darker yellow body with huge foamy white head.

Lots of sour funk accented by citric hops. the orange and lemon hop flavors really work well with the acidic sour notes. I like it.

The taste is all sweet malt at first.I tried to find any sort of flavor, but I get nothing. no funk, no hops, no yeast esters. Nothing, at all. Super powdery sweet, with nothing to accent it. Rather disappointing for what should be (and sounds like) a fantastic beer.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Houblon smells mainly of cloves, bananas, and oranges, with just a hint of grapefruit at the edges to warn of a larger amount of hops.

The taste is a strange combination of pure Belgian, with the standard flavors of that style--a base of bananas and cloves, with extra-sugary pear, apple, and white grape mixed in--and a strong IPA, the hops adding a significant grapefruit rind whang and bitterness to the mix that both plays off of the Belgian fruit flavors (making the beer almost mixed-fruit cocktail like), and somewhat counters them, as the melange of fruits brings out hints of pineapple that don't mix well. The alcohol (9% ABV) is not fully hidden by these fruit flavors, and so the brew has a vodka-like tint at the very edges, which only adds to the sensation that this is more cocktail than beer. Mouthfeel is a silky, sugary medium, and carbonation is somewhere between medium-high and high, though as my bottle foamed over for several minutes after opening, I couldn't get an accurate base.

Overall, while I like the attempt that was made to combine Belgian and IPA flavors, in this case the result was less than perfect.

A: Pours a hazy honey color with 3 fingers of white head that recedes into a layer of foam on top. Unfortunately I see some floaties. Does that mean it's past freshness?

S: Not much going on here. A faint hop aroma, some alcohol, slight hint of spice.

T: A slightly spicy/hop mix of flavor hits first, followed by a grassy and slightly bitter aftertaste, but overall one note and uninspiring.

M: Thick, bubbly, warms well.

O: Nothing interesting about this one. I wonder if the floaties mean it's past it's due date or if it's just natural for the beer to have it. Also, I'm not sure if this is a tripel, or a belgian IPA, or a dubbel, or what? Definitely won't buy again.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe