Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel | Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe
achouffe.be

Style: Belgian IPA

The HOUBLON CHOUFFE was brewed for the first time in 2006. It is an ‘Indian Pale ale’ type of beer, with a harmonious balance between a marked bitterness (three types of hops are used to make it) and a pleasant fruitiness. The HOUBLON CHOUFFE is unfiltered, and re-fermented in the bottle as well as in the keg.

Added by Todd on 01-13-2006

4.2

Ratings: 2,722 |  Reviews: 1,200

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

Reviewed 8/8/2008 (bottle):

Foam & head everywhere! Extremely foamy, even opening after warming for a bit. Very cloudy, golden body. Big foamy white head, somewhat lasting. Belgian flowery aroma. Some graininess, slight amount of alcohol, some spices. Watery taste, light flowery taste, some spice. Weakish for 9%. Very light flavor, watery.

3.04/5  rDev -27.6%

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%

This has such a confusing taste. It goes from one thing to the next to the next with a bitter finale and no cohesion. Fairly off putting.

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

A: hazy medium gold to light orange in color. There's lots of small floaties. There was a 2 finger white fluffy head. There is excellent head retention and lacing.

S: There's a lot of floral and citrus hops. Actually this beer probably has the most floral aroma of any IPA I've had.

T: The initial taste is fine and consists of lemon zest, The aftertaste is pretty gross, with lots of chalkiness and astringency.

M: The beer is overcarbonataed and has a poor aftertaste, the viscosity though is ok.

D: I won't be spending 12 dollars for a bomber of this again.

3.11/5  rDev -26%

750 ml bottle with no date.

Pours out a striking brass tone with lively carbonation, a wavy, fluffy head, and impressive lacing. Nose has a lot of grain, alcohol, spicy yeast, and some citrus and herbal hops tones. I also get some candy-ish sweet tones and light stone fruits. Flavor begins sweet with a hefty amount of pale malt and some graininess. Some citrus and floral flavors come to the fore along with a backing of yeast spices. Finishes still dry and with quite a bit of bitterness. Grain just stays on into the aftertaste. Sweetness and booze just seems to come out more as this warms. Mouthfeel is a little sticky and slick for me, but the carbonation is pleasant and the weight of the beer on the tongue is acceptable. This is a decent beer, but I don't think everything meshes well. I'd much rather a De Ranke XX.

3.15/5  rDev -25%

A: Golden hazy, and choc full of sediment. This is the second variety I've had from this brewery in the 12oz bottle that I've had trouble keeping the sediment out of my glass. So, my perception of color maybe off from loads of sediment suspended throughout my glass. The head is fluffy, nice retention, and leaves lacey legs on the glass.

S: a sharp lemon scent leads the aroma, but there is also a sugary backbone.

T: also lemon - a bit like Pledge. The citrus tone just seemed like artificial flavoring. It then goes into floral hops and yeast. The last taste in the mouth is a faint licorice.

M: medium body, fine carbonation, and sharp bitterness.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

750 ml green glass (bleh!) bottle with standard pressure cap served into a 25cl N'Ice Chouffe beerflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Served refrigerator cold. Expectations are relatively high given the brewery, but the style is suspect. Best before date is "End 2012" - strange for an IPA. I bought it in October 2011 (At Wally's Wine in Westwood, California).

On a presentation note, green glass is inexcusable.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and amazing retention (especially for 9.0%). I'm impressed with the retention. It's a rather foamy head, with a visual texture akin to candy floss. Colour is a cloudy yellow. Lots of swirling bubbles indicate adequate carbonation. No yeast particles are visible. Semitransparent. Very fresh looking and appealing.

Sm: A fresh floral light hop aroma with pleasant orange peel. A bit yeasty. A mild strength aroma.

T: A pleasant malty foundation over the top of which sits a mild smittering of light hops. The hops never finish too bitter. It's a bit buttery, helping both the taste and mouthfeel. (I'd even go so far as to say it might pair well with popcorn). The malts resolve smoothly and tingly yet aren't quite as potent and thick as you might expect from a Tripel (also no candi sugar comes through). It's as though they used crystal malt instead of Belgian candi sugar and added hops to reduce a golden Tripel to a yellow pale ale. It's definitely pleasant, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it refreshing. A bad malty note (akin to the way malt is handled in most Spanish lagers) is present right on the finish, and feels stale compared with the rest of the otherwise well balanced flavours.

Mf: Smooth and dry, with a bit of stale tingly character on the climax and finish - sort of a failed hop coarseness that really bothers me. I don't know what's causing this but I don't like it. I'd like it more wet and a bit more slick.

Dr: Highly drinkable for the ABV in spite of its mouthfeel problem. It features some pleasant flavours that are balanced well, and feels quite experimental, but it never reaches a level of being unique or special. I might try it on draught in Belgium, but it's not anywhere near good enough to consider paying a high price for as an import again. This brewery has better beers.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I'm not a beer snob. I'm really not in to all of the language and jargon to be what one would consider to be a "Beer Connoisseur", if I like a beer I'll tell you so and why and do the same if I don't. I bought this in the .75 liter bottle. I've had other Triple Hop Beers before and end enjoyed them. I really didn't care for this, it was very strong and didn't care for the taste at all. Sorry. Just didn't like it.

3.21/5  rDev -23.6%

Pretty good, but I tasted whole sugar crystals in this beer. I'll keep one fermenting for a few months to see if this improves it.

EDIT: Okay, probably had a bad bottle with those sugar crystals, so tried another one. Still not thrilled by this beer. I expect a bit more flavour from a belgian IPA, but both its hop and malt profile are quite bland actually. If i didn't know better, i would have guessed this was a strong lager with some extra hops. This brewers original Chouffe is way better. Still deviously easy to drink though, despite its abv. And it does look nice, with a big fluffy head atop of a lively golden brew.

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

750 ml bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

(I too had the fountain effect out of the bottle when I opened, which is a bit frustrating if it's a common problem)

A - Pours a murky, honey golden color with 3.5 fingers of white, soapy head. Retention is amazingly good given the high ABV. Pretty appealing.

S - Yeast (albeit lighter than I was hoping), citrus, perfume, clove, banana, and other light spice, Very light hops presence given the style.

T - The hops are present throughout, though never overbearing or overly bitter, though they're far from fresh. The yeast is surprisingly mild as well. I'd like more of it. Fruity esters abound. It almost seems a bit watery. it's balanced quite well, through it's a disappointment overall. No alcohol is perceivable.

M - Light to medium bodied, smooth through the finish which is a bit dry. Not ideal at all for a tripel (or an IPA for that matter).

D - This one drinks like a decent tripel with some stale hops notes. Totally disappointed, especially for the price (and the fact that half of it spilled on the counter).

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

11.2oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a very hazy Mikado Yellow color - golden yellow with a sort of mustard center. Some fine yeast particles on the first pour, larger clumps with the second. A small white film of foam forms with unique lacing that clings to the glass in tiny pinpricks. Second pour yields a much larger head - three fingers worth. Good looking beer overall, minus the ridiculous yeast haze in the last half of the bottle.

Very hoppy nose up front. Not a lot of bracing West Coast citrus scents, though the orange that signifies Amarillo is dominant. You can definitely make out the clean, noble aroma of Saaz as well. Some sugary esters. Some phenolic character. The malt seems in line with an English IPA moreso than a Belgian ale. Though solid, this doesn't wow me. It is certainly American IPA-inspired but I have smelled much better Belgian IPAs.

I'm also not really impressed with the flavor of this beer. I was expecting something at least worthy of a 4.0. What this beer fails to do is cohere; there's no unity of vision here. I get some biscuit malt, some Belgian candi sugar, some phenolic aloe vera flavor, bubblegum esters, lots of orange, lots of noble hop character, lots of grass. Awkward finish or pear and pine. It tastes like a tripel too aggressively hopped for its own good, and it tastes on other sips like an IPA with too much phenolic character. The good Belgian IPAs I've had marry the differences between Belgian pales and IPAs while this beer leaves those differences apart, I feel.

Solid mouthfeel; it is thicker than I prefer a member of the IPA family to be, but the triple-like flavors demand a thicker body. Drinkability is average at best. It isn't particularly refreshing and it clocks in a whopping 9% ABV.

I'm rarely flat-out disappointed in a beer, but Houblon Chouffe disappointed me. This is a favorite beer of so many people and I can't tell why. Maybe this bottle is poor, or perhaps the beer is better in the 750mL form (more room for the yeast to do its thang). This is a decent beer, but there are other Belgian IPAs that I'd reach for instead.

3.24/5  rDev -22.9%