Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

WostyntjeWostyntje

Brouwerij Smisje
Belgium | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

The label on the bottle says: Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.

Added by purplehops on 05-07-2003

Reviews: 147 | Ratings: 199
1.12/5  rDev -68.7%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent amber copper, creamy dense white head recedes slowly leaving frothy lacing.

Upon sniffing I slightly grimace, mustard, it didn't sound good on the label and it smells worse than expected. Rank and rancid like a well used pickle barrel put out to pasture. I've never smelled worse, a new standard.

Forcing my self to sip, my expectations are met - utterly gross. Tart, acidic and indeed rank. Bad bottle (?), perhaps yet I don't presume it to be - mustard is an advertised ingredient.

not worthy of words
atrocious
no cheers
jd

1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

Thanks to Patra for this wonderful birthday gift. It is safe to say that this is the oddest beer that I have tasted. It pours the color of apple cider with a hazy body and a foamy white head. Wostytje has a funky aroma of hard apple cider, pineapple and yeast. The taste hits you with sour apple cider vinegar and funky earthy yeast. Then it turns somewhat sweet in the middle and end with an odd bitter and mustardy finish. The body is medium with a smooth texture. Overall it's a very odd beer. Unique. However for me the flavors just don't work together at all.

1.82/5  rDev -49.2%

Appearance: gold in color, 1.5 inch head, cloudy with some sediment in the head, moderate carbonation

Smell: toasted malt, spices, and golden mustard

Taste: mustard, medicine, and light malt

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, slightly bitter, very astringent, high carbonation that takes away from any smoothness

Drinkability: I appreciate a brewery taking a chance. I was really looking forward to this as I tend to like exotic beers. However, this was as close to a drainpour as I have gotten in a while. The mustard is very in your face and the other flavors add to the bite, not mesh, or even lighten it. The over-carbonation adds to the unpleasantness. If you love mustard, give it a shot, I will pass.

1.96/5  rDev -45.3%

A lacey head and a golden hue. lightly carbonated. There are definately a mustard arome in here. Tastes even more like mustard than it smells. This overwelms other flavors in the beer. I think it's a bit much on the mustard side. Reminds me of a mustard and ham sandwich. The mouthfeel is good. Drinkability is poor. this is not very well balanced, i can't get past the mustard.

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

The alcohol stated in the label is 7.0%, not 5.0%.

The colour is strong golden, with little and short head.
The smell is mustard, sure, but not too heavy as you can fear. After all you can see something else: dry leaves, autumnal smell, chestnut. Very particular, but not convincing.
Sweet taste, with mustard and fruit.. Pear? Strange, maybe interesting, but.. Not convincing. It's not my beer.
Light body. It left some perplexity.

2.39/5  rDev -33.2%

33cl bottle, apparently with a couple years on it, into an Old Engine Oil tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for sharing.

A: Hazy orange-amber body with a solid cap of fine tan foam. Nice.

S: Primarily sweet, with malt and strange sprinkle-like candy notes on top of major spice. Mustard definitely shows up on the back end of each inhalation. Weir and kind of unpleasant.

T: Spicy and earthy at first, with some maltiness building toward the semi-sweet, spicy finish. Stale cheese and mustard aftertaste. Yuck.

M: Super-frothy, a little prickly. Not great.

O: This one really didn't do it for me, but at least it was bad in an interesting way.

Cheers!

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: darkish orange hue (like dried orange peels), very hazy, tiny amount of head formation disappears almost immediately, some lace despite the lack of head

Aroma: not much of anything (very faint), slight apple fruitiness and some piney hops, a tiny bit of chocolate?, yeast, vinous; I guess I detect some mustard...

Flavor: sourish, musty, a bit bready in its maltiness, hint of mustard in the background, slightly spicey, some sweetness towards the end, finish is dry, aftertaste is an appley tanginess with an acrid edge to it; also in the middle there's a funky sort of earthy flavor that I can't put a finger on (in "odd-ingredient beers" like this, it must be the odd ingredient)

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation

Overall Impression: Found a shelf of these little 33cl bottles amidst the Rocheforts, Westmalles, Rodenbachs, etc. at the grocery store. Had to try it. Was initially a bit "scared" of it, but it ended up being a largely disappointing novelty beer. Almost plays off like an overly tangy hefeweizen. Worth a try, I guess, but I doubt I'll drink another one.

The label on this bottle is different than the one pictured here. It's a bit campy. Colors are mustard brown, white, and black. A cartoon of a Pluto-like dog in a sailor suit holding out a beer glass to a mustard-pot with arms, legs, and a face who is dumping a spoonful of his contents into the glass. Also, this label indicates that it is a 7% abv beer, though it sure doesn't seem that way.

2.57/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this on tap at the Lucky Baldwins 10th Annual Belgian fest on 2/15/09.

I'm not sure whats going on but this is the 3rd beer in a row from these guys purchased from a different location that has been crap.

Pours a murky yellow orange with some brown in it. Decent lacing, not much retention.

Aroma is sour, boozy, and malty.

Taste has some barnyard character from the funk in the beer. Also some palt malt, sourness, and alcohol. Not pleasant. I'll pass next time.

Body is medium possibly because all the CO2 escapes quickly. Not enjoyable.

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

This beer didn't really impress me. I didn't get much mustardness in the smell and none in the taste. That aside, this is a pretty marginal beer amongst the many hundreds of fantastic beer emerging from Belgium.

This beer poured a clear amber color with soapy head formation that did not stick around for long. Maybe it was just the power of suggestion, but I thought I could smell a bit of mustard along with a sour white wine or white wine vinegar smell. Taste was sweet and cereal-y with a candy sugar sweetness. Reminded me of a malted milk ball...which is not a good thing. Mouthfeel was a bit slick feeling.

Not recommended.

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Brouwerij de Regenboog translates as the "Rainbow Brewery". They brew six different beers and the mustard one is one of the more interesting ones available. I had some high hopes for this being something unique, unfortunately it seems this beer was infected/tainted as the carbonation levels were way high and there was a very sour/astringent quality to it that pretty much blanketed any subtle flavors, especially any of the (Tourhout's) mustard seeds.

That being said, I feel obligated to make some notes about this beer as I am not sure I'll throw down the $5 again as I don't want to deal with another disappointment. Not to mention that there is the slight chance that this beer is supposed to be like this...

The mustard ale pours a cloudy sort of matte orange in color. The head on this is very thick, bubbly and almost bubble bath like in appearance.

The smell is very sour, very much like a Flemish Red Ale or almost vinegar-esque. I don't get much else from this aroma-wise, its all sour.

The taste is very bitter, sour, sort of metallic like iron with some hints of malt but not much of the original intended flavor coming through? I really am hoping this was a beer thats gone bad and not what the brewers anticipated.

Mouthfeel is puckering.

Drinkability is "tough".

I was pretty excited to give this one a go but in the end it was pretty disappointing. : (

2.67/5  rDev -25.4%

On-tap at The Belgian room, NYC. Light body, sourish, three weeks old, yellow body without head. Not too great a Belgian. I do not know about mustard beers, didn't they ban than in WWI? I do not think it works, but likely needs warning sign. Definite apple cider character.

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

A bit of a cloudy copper amber color with an immense white head that is firm, thick and fluffy; not bad looking once and if you can the head to "calm down." Was a bit of an effort to overcome the two inch white pillow at the top of the glass.

Nose of white bread, yeast, stone fruit, hint of bananas and a bit of winter spices.

Mouthfeel is simply too carbonated, thus the big huge head with very large bubbles that take a while to dissipate. So carbonated almost hard to drink.

Flavor is Belgian fruity and malty with candy sugar but it's so carbonated that it feels and tastes like a sweet, light yeast big malt soda with spices. Has a bit of toffee, sweet coffee and cooked bananas in the flavor profile with a finish of whiskey. Sounds better than it is. Not bad flavors but the mouthfeel, excess spice and carbonation just make for too many flaws to drink pleasurably.

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

On-tap at Dunderbak's. It pours a translucent golden hue with a long-lived wispy white cap. My first sip reveals a healthy dose of funky yeast and sweet banana-bubblegum wheat notes, along with a general bitterness that I cannot specifically ascribe, but evokes scorched tea. Hardboiled egg is noted from the aroma as the brew begins to air out, which is certainly an unwelcome development. I am also getting a ripe fruitiness, reminiscent of honeydews. The taste is getting stronger in terms of booze as it warms up, and that actually suits the beer quite well, restoring it partially from a bizarre anomaly to some familiarity to the BSPA/Tripel style. The feel is creamy and expansive, as a Belgian should be; unfortunately the good mouthfeel is wasted on a beer that is more interesting than good.

2.77/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a hazy amber/orange with no head (a little soapy bubble display on the sides)
Smell of wild yeast, orange peel, some buttery herbs, and slight sweet malt.
Taste starts off like its gonna be very sweet, but comes up short. Herbs and yeast flavors dominate, but lacks depth and cohesivness.
Creamy feel to it. Kinda flat tasting. Almost a drain pour.

2.79/5  rDev -22.1%

Cloudy yellow-tan with a sizable, big-bubbled head. The aroma is fairly weak, a bit of bandaids and an odd aroma that must be the mustard seed, but doesn’t really smell like mustard. The flavor is very dry and short with a bit of bitterness up front, more of that odd bit and not a whole lot else. Really a bit of a let down. I think I would have been happier if it had a lot of flavor and I just didn’t like it. This was just kind of bland and bubbly.

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Mustard beer, something new and I felt that it deserved a chance. After seeing a 1.5 liter bottle sitting at my local beer shop I finally bought it after a few months just watching it sit there. It was actually pretty interesting, I wasn't able to really pick up on the mustard so much but I did get a little bit of a nut flavor and some yeast. The bottle said it's a Brune Blond which I found interesting too, I suppose it's like a blend of both. The beer itself was a muddy looking blond color with a ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

2.82/5  rDev -21.2%

I didn't like this beer but I'm not sure if the beer was fresh. I haven't had a second to confirm. It was a cloudy cidery looking beer. There was a sour citrus aroma that was also very apple cider like. The flavor was much the same as the aroma with a slightly sour apple cider taste. I'm not sure where the mustard was but I couldn't detect any of it. The body was quite light and the drinkability low.

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Presentation: 11.2 oz fattie bottle, poured into a small glass (I was in a hotel room).

Appearance: Dirty yellow color, thick creamy head.

Smell: Malt aroma, with faint hints of mustard.

Taste: Unique flavor, but I didn't appreciate it. Bitter and bready.

Notes: The bottle stated "90% barley malt, 10% Munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar, and mustard seeds". Guess I just had to try it once.

2.94/5  rDev -17.9%

Consumed 6/7
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy caramel honey color with a five finger of ridiculous foamy white head. Crazy head retention that leaves big clumps of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is mustard - or as my roommate said "it smells like a hot dog wad!". Lots of belgian spices and yeast are also present.

T: Taste is crazy mustard with an odd caramel malt sweetness. Good deal of belgian spice and yeast come in. A good deal of alcohol presence in the taste. The taste blends together far better than the nose.

M: Lighter bodied, medium carbonation, clean and crisp.

O: Goes down somewhat easily, interesting taste, not too filling, good kick, an odd representation of style. I'm all about breweries testing the limits but this one just didn't work for me. It was fun to try though.

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

Pours a mostly clear, lightly hazy orange-straw with about a finger of white bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves, at best, a miniscule amount of lacing behind. The nose is somewhat musky, with hints of brett, straw, cloves, and, yes, a dash o' mustard. The taste expounds on the nose, unfortunately accentuating the negative aspects of the constituent parts. The funk is too funky, the sourness is flat, and there's a sharp, overriding bitterness, not a hoppy one, but one I assume that stems from the mustard seeds (I haven't encountered it before and this is my first brew with mustard in it, so...). All told, a very off-putting flavor combination. The body is in the medium range with a healthy carbonation and a generally smooth texture. Alas, though, this cannot make up for the objectionable taste, which drags the drinkability down a decent degree.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Bottle: Poured an hazy dark golden color ale with a huge foamy head with good retention. Aroma of spices and dry Belgian yeast is intriguing. Taste is quite spicy with some nice malt and dry yeasty finish which is a bit too strong for my liking. After having tried a few different beers from this brewery, I feel like they should IMHO rethink their use of their yeast strain which provide strong dry aftertaste and result in similar taste to all their beers.

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A very unusual brew, not like any one beer I ever had. Poured into a Chimay goblet with a murky light brown/dark gold color with a bubbly white head like a hefeweizen. Head retention is average. Some lacing. Smelled like a Belgian with a bit of the mustard spiciness kicking in.

Taste started out Belgian..yeast..candi sugar..dark fruit. Didn't last long, the mustard spiciness and a little bitterness kicked in. Last was a vinegar like sourness like Petrus Oud Bruin (the only sour beer I ever tried).

Mouthfeel is rich, the sourness lingers. Drinkability is below average. I would probably try this again with food. Sipping it by itself was a long, slow process, not very drinkable. If I was a sour beer fan I would probably love the complexity of this beer. As it is, I just found it a bit interesting but not my thing.

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

Vidaloca brought this one home from the store one day. Boy, do I like surprises! Mustard ale? Cool…

Poured with a fleeting, creamy white mousse on top of the cloudy, tan-orange liquid. This beer looked unique and mysterious. It smelled sweet and tart and very suggestive of Maille Dijon mustard, with that slightly mineraly, steely edge. It tasted of nondescript semi-sweet, somewhat fruity malt, a touch of herb vinegar, and mustard. As it warmed, the malt because a bit biscuity, and the mustard flavor became more focused, like Colmans mustard powder, but not hot.

Not a beer to drink to cold. Almost a drain pour when cold. I’m glad I tried it and would probably never drink it again, though I have an odd feeling this would be good on tap of from a 750ml+ bottle. Strange…

3.15/5  rDev -12%

A: Pours a cloudy, dull pear colored brew with a rock solid very light beige head towering above the glass.

S: Yeasty with some pineapple, tobacco, banana and grass clippings.

T: Begins floral and spicy like a saison. Some honey, hay, red apples and overall vegetable flavors. Then a faint mustard taste comes. Its not overly pronounced but it is there. Beer finishes with an earthy bitterness but more on the spicy side.

M: Medium body with explosive carbonation across the palate. With a few swirls around the glass the carbonation chilled out to a manageable level.

D: If you are going to make a mustard beer, make a mustard beer. For me the mustard was too faint and if it wasn't on the label then I might not have sensed it. Overall fairly boring

3.17/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours out a cloudy straw amber color with little to no head.
Smell is like a sour wine with something that might be hot like pepper. Also caramel and a little alcohol here too.
Taste is tangy sour with just a little pepper to spice up the citrus notes.
MF is bitter on the tip of the tounge then sour and a sweet aftertaste.
Drinkability is alright here but there are better ales for sure out there.

Wostyntje from Brouwerij Smisje