Wostyntje | Brouwerij Smisje

WostyntjeWostyntje

Brouwerij Smisje
smisje.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

The label on the bottle says: Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.

Added by purplehops on 05-07-2003

3.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

i have to give this some credit for being real different, but it didnt end up being one of my favorites, especially from these guys, but good to know they are keeping it inventive still! it pours a real murky burnt orange color, rusty looking, no chunks or anything, but plenty of sediment in suspension. minimal white head, more of a lazy bubble layer. the beer smells almost sour, funky for sure, tannic and sharp, more herbaceous than spices, and with hints of white wine and candy sweetness. first sip confirms there is no need for the extra sugar here, its not fermented out enough to be useful for strength, and the amount left in the taste it too much for me, almost a tripel complexion. the yeast is awesome, classically belgian, bubblegum and caramel from it, and the mustard seeds end up being somewhat less impactful than expected. they add a unique layer, but its quickly swallowed up by residual sugar and a warm fermented belgian yeast strain. what bothered me the most was the lack of carbonation. this brew, like most or even all belgian styles needs to be alive in the glass and on the palate, and it ends up being flat, heavy, and too sweet all at the same time. hard to drink much of or even fully appreciate what makes this so unique because of that. overall a beer worth trying, maybe a little past its prime from the cellar here, but not quite on the level i had hoped it would be...

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I Had this two or three years ago. But with its anti-advertising label and unusual spicing (mustard), I expected I'd never see it again. I did see it again. I bought it again. I drank it again. I'm glad again.

First, I get some sudsing action out of the undisturbed bottle. I like signs that my beer is still alive. (At my age, anything alive is a good sign.) While the pleasant head eventually receded without much lace, a nice amber was noticed. The nose was good, but I don't get the mustard-thing.

The taste starts to tell me more about the suds. The yeast and, I presume, the mustard got this thing going, suddenly, that is beyond explanation... or "that knoweth no understanding" if you want to keep to the New Testament. The mouthfeel is almost that good, also showing an elevated intuition.

Should you buy this if you see it ? I think so.
Should you buy this again if you see it ? I will bet that you will think so.

2.68/5  rDev -25.1%

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%

I got this in a Belgian sampler. 2 bottles of each. I tried the first one over a year ago. The mustard taste was extremely strong back then but has mellowed since. Now, if you think about it, you taste mustard.

Today, it was extremely effervescent. Enormous, fast dissipating head. Very enjoyable to drink while I worked, and even complemented pizza.

Would not turn this down if I saw it again.

4.16/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours first a hazy orange brown then turns cloudy. Great head of foam, retention, and lacing.

Spicy nose to start..smells like some asian spices were used and the mustard spice clearly listed in the name. Quite a bit of sugary sweetness seeps through and there's an earthy character here as well.

Mmm..spicy, candi sugar sweets, earthy malt, cool that the mustard seeds integrate so well giving the beer an unusual but enjoyable balance.

Medium body with the carbo on the lighter side.

I only bought 1 bottle but I'll buy more if it's still around. An overall tasty son of a gun.

4.09/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.4/5  rDev -5%

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

(no freshness date... a "new" case did come into my work recently, and this bottle was from that case... had a bottle last year elsewhere and a glass of this on tap... little current mention of this beer on the Smisje website... hmmm...)

A: old bottle? - lots of foam coming out when uncapped, head formed but fizzed out just as fast in the glass... clear liquid, tanned yellow-gold in color - the degree of brilliance found in this often suggests high attenuation, i.e. bugs

S: mild caramel, white grape vinous esters (vaguely sherry), overripe pear... no off-putting off-aromas, though

T: full burst of dried-crusted-over doughy malt, matched with a baker's yeast-like highlighting... dry champagne soda at its core... curious peppery-spicy zip/heat - the mustard seed? - you can smell a similar certain spicy something later on as well

M: approaching medium+ thickness in malt body, as if this has been aging (that old German lager quality, just with Belgian yeast nuances)... shows signs of viscosity, however, the lightly spiced-up alcohol warmth attenuates that fairly well

O: while this bottle is potentially aged, I believe I could sell this on the basis of it being similar in constitution to the slough of samey, fullish-bodied, red-hued Belgian Noël ales that we seem to have trouble ridding of each year - I happen to enjoy those beers, but you can't drink them all the time... this is 7% and not quite light and crisp, but has the allure of that yeasty-mustardy spice... worth one try - curious what you'd think

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%

At some point I had asked the owner of an exotic beer store for something weird and unique. This is what he gave me.

Dark orange with a towering white head. Bottle claims this is a golden ale but I heartily disagree. Don’t see many “orange ales” for sale.

Unique aroma, there’s an uncatagorizable floral hibiscus spice thing that dominates. Not sure what mustard seed smells like but if it smells like Goulden’s Spicy Brown I’m glad it’s not very obvious. Bruised orchard fruit like apricots and oxidized apple.

Taste is equally unusual and it’s going to take a while to sort it all out. Very dry with lots of spice and an even dryer moisture sucking finish. Malt like spaghetti squash sweet and tart strawberries. Don’t know that I’ve ever pulled spaghetti squash out of a beer before.

A good pick by whomever I bought this from. One of those beers that make me rethink beer as an art in addition to a beverage. I'm surprised by the lackluster reviews for this beer but I also mention of this brewery's inconsistency. Glad I got a good bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%