Wostyntje | Brouwerij Smisje

WostyntjeWostyntje

Brouwerij Smisje
smisje.be

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

The label on the bottle says: Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.

Added by purplehops on 05-07-2003

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.58/5  rDev 0%

A stubby bottle picked up in Westchester NY.

Appearance is a cloudy orange color with with fingers of white head. Its` nose has pepper, spice, belgian yeast, medicinal herbs. The taste of this strong pale ale is apple, caramel, bread, mustard, some boozyness. Mouthfeel is medium, good carbonation. All in all, a good beer, not one of the best from Smisje though.

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

Wanted to start off my reviews today with a weird one and this is apparently the weirdest one brewed with mustard seeds.

A - Very fizzy head atop of some hazy amber brown beer. Little lacing and head is slightly opaque. (3.5)

S - Well it doesn't smell too much like mustard. Smells of a nice Belgium pale ale, yeasty and a touch of hops. (3.5)

T - Bubbly and carbonated I do get some brown mustard in the taste, then fruity yeasts, followed by a dry hopping in the finish. (3.5)

M - Medium bodied it drinks pretty nice. (4)

Overall I guess it's what I expected for just a basic dark Belgium ale brewed with seeds. Not worth the buy again at 6 dollars a bottle. (3)

3.94/5  rDev +10.1%

Hey, good beer! After hearing a lot about this one around Staten Island, I figured I had to give it a whirl, since I've heard nothing bad about it.

Poured into my Duvel tulip, good decision, the beer's got a huge ecru head that makes it within a cm of the top of the glass, lots of nice lacing on this one.

Smell of vague spices and hops. The taste is good, I pick up some mustard in the beginning, but after a few sips the tongue is numb to that flavor, still a very enjoyable beer. I like it!

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.39/5  rDev -33.2%

33cl bottle, apparently with a couple years on it, into an Old Engine Oil tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for sharing.

A: Hazy orange-amber body with a solid cap of fine tan foam. Nice.

S: Primarily sweet, with malt and strange sprinkle-like candy notes on top of major spice. Mustard definitely shows up on the back end of each inhalation. Weir and kind of unpleasant.

T: Spicy and earthy at first, with some maltiness building toward the semi-sweet, spicy finish. Stale cheese and mustard aftertaste. Yuck.

M: Super-frothy, a little prickly. Not great.

O: This one really didn't do it for me, but at least it was bad in an interesting way.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev 0%

A bit of a gusher that pours a cloudy dark orange, almost brown color with a two finger yellowish beige head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Odd aroma with a prominent mustard character as well as some other spices, light fruit and alcohol. It's really surprising how forward the mustard character is. Underneath there is some pale malt, peppery zest and crisp, light fruit. Weird.

Medium bodied with a balance of zesty spicy, light fruit, pale malt, alcohol and sweet, tangy mustard. The mustard presence is there but is not as prominent as the aroma suggests. There's a slight creamy texture that adds to the body and compliments the spice and sweetness of the mustard. Hints of apple and pear along with the alcohol presence provide a decent amount of sweetness. Spices compliment the mustard flavor which is surprisingly pretty tasty. I was expecting kind of a gross novelty but I really enjoyed this beer, finding it full bodied, flavorful and easy to drink.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

11.2oz bottle into a goblet

pours a gorgeous deep amber honey with a slightly off-white collar or dense cake-like foam. quite leggy.

belgian yeast on the nose, light and estery, some light wet grains. smells like a tripel.

hmmm. an interesting pull. palate unsure what to think. a little plummy and tart with a warm finish. estery, as the nose was. apples, belgian yeast, very little hops or noticeable malts.

very carbonated, somehow feels stronger than 7%, but mid-bodied overall. Doesn't linger.

For the price of $4.99, a kind of letdown, given its lack of punch. That said, it's definitely interesting and I've gladly paid similar prices for similarly tasty/interesting/<7% beers (anything Hitachino). The warmer it got, the better it got too.

3.4/5  rDev -5%

Unfortunately not as mustard heavy as I was hoping...I love mustards!

Pours an unfiltered orange color with a fluffy 3inch head...good retention.

Notes of candied orange, apples, nice earthiness and a hint of zesty mustard in the finish...that lingers for quite some time.

Overall; nothing special but certainly not atrocious as depicted by previous reviews; imo.

Paired great with the left over Gratin that I had to accompany it btw...

2.74/5  rDev -23.5%

On-tap at Dunderbak's. It pours a translucent golden hue with a long-lived wispy white cap. My first sip reveals a healthy dose of funky yeast and sweet banana-bubblegum wheat notes, along with a general bitterness that I cannot specifically ascribe, but evokes scorched tea. Hardboiled egg is noted from the aroma as the brew begins to air out, which is certainly an unwelcome development. I am also getting a ripe fruitiness, reminiscent of honeydews. The taste is getting stronger in terms of booze as it warms up, and that actually suits the beer quite well, restoring it partially from a bizarre anomaly to some familiarity to the BSPA/Tripel style. The feel is creamy and expansive, as a Belgian should be; unfortunately the good mouthfeel is wasted on a beer that is more interesting than good.

1.12/5  rDev -68.7%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent amber copper, creamy dense white head recedes slowly leaving frothy lacing.

Upon sniffing I slightly grimace, mustard, it didn't sound good on the label and it smells worse than expected. Rank and rancid like a well used pickle barrel put out to pasture. I've never smelled worse, a new standard.

Forcing my self to sip, my expectations are met - utterly gross. Tart, acidic and indeed rank. Bad bottle (?), perhaps yet I don't presume it to be - mustard is an advertised ingredient.

not worthy of words
atrocious
no cheers
jd

2.94/5  rDev -17.9%

Consumed 6/7
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy caramel honey color with a five finger of ridiculous foamy white head. Crazy head retention that leaves big clumps of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is mustard - or as my roommate said "it smells like a hot dog wad!". Lots of belgian spices and yeast are also present.

T: Taste is crazy mustard with an odd caramel malt sweetness. Good deal of belgian spice and yeast come in. A good deal of alcohol presence in the taste. The taste blends together far better than the nose.

M: Lighter bodied, medium carbonation, clean and crisp.

O: Goes down somewhat easily, interesting taste, not too filling, good kick, an odd representation of style. I'm all about breweries testing the limits but this one just didn't work for me. It was fun to try though.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

First had: bottle at the Belgian Café, Philly, PA

Poured into a tulip glass a hazy, golden brown with a HUGE, active, tan head that eventually receded to a thick ring, but was rejuvenated at every pour from the bottle (which I did aggressively just for the effect). Aroma of yeast, pepper, mustard...pickles? Spicy taste, corn and grains, earthy, peppery, and an underlying sweetness that never fully surfaces. Medium mouthfeel, a bit odd, but I thought it was still quite drinkable.

3.21/5  rDev -10.3%

11.2 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip. No apparent dating. Also, this is brewed by De Regenboog, not t'Smisje?

A: A big pillow of white head quickly settles into a bare collar atop a deep, hazy bronze body with some floaties.

S: The mustard is apparent. A bit of malty sweetness helps that mustard zip--think mustard greens, really--go down. Pretty potent nose, almost dank, and not for the faint of heart. Overwhelms any typically Belgian yeastiness, to me.

T: Tastes better than it smells. The mustard comes off as nicely tart, atop an otherwise ordinary Belgian beer. There is some bitterness in the finish, but it's again more like mustard greens, rather than hops. There's just enough "beer" to carry this along. Still, it's "unique" and not for everyone.

M: A bit thick and chewy, but the body has enough fine carbonation for me.

O: Well, I'm glad I tried it. I don't think I'd get it again. Tastes better than it smells. I think that says enough.

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

Mustard beer, something new and I felt that it deserved a chance. After seeing a 1.5 liter bottle sitting at my local beer shop I finally bought it after a few months just watching it sit there. It was actually pretty interesting, I wasn't able to really pick up on the mustard so much but I did get a little bit of a nut flavor and some yeast. The bottle said it's a Brune Blond which I found interesting too, I suppose it's like a blend of both. The beer itself was a muddy looking blond color with a ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Wostyntje from Brouwerij Smisje