Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Word! | Strangeways Brewing

Added by dwren89 on 08-10-2013

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A-slightly dark golden color with a decent white head and a little lacing

S-lemon, slight yeast funk, grain, sour

T-lemon, grainy malt, yeast, tart and slightly dry finish

F-light to medium body with light carbonation, crisp and puckering

O-I found this surprisingly enjoyable, drinks more like a wild ale than a tart Saison as advertised

3.59/5  rDev -12.9%

I will admit, I am a newbie to Belgian sours. I have had a lambic or two, but this is not in my wheelhouse. That being said...

Before I had a chance to taste it, my girlfriend gave an expression upon trying the beer. I started with a sniff and it had a funky sourness (old sneakers drenched in fresh lemons) to it, so given those two pre-conditions, I wasn't expecting to like it.

It is definitely a tart sour taste, with lemon and lemon in the forefront. I was shocked that I didn't hate it. I am not sure I would ever consider this if I were craving a "beer", but would have it again in the proper moment.

The ratings I give for this are based off what I think a sour novice like me might think about the beer if they were truly open to trying the style.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

on tap at whole foods in Richmond. into a Hennepin tulip.

dark golden color, slight head. mild tart aroma on the nose, but not too much there. taste hits you with some good funk and brett flavor right away, followed by some lingering fruitiness. fairly sour actually. quite surprising and enjoyable. medium bodied with mild carbonation.

overall very enjoyable for sour fans. recommended.

4.16/5  rDev +1%

Served on tap at the Strangeways tasting room. Pale golden color with a small white head. Nice sour lemony aroma and very tart flavor. This was described as a sour saison, the tart lemon flavor actually reminded me of a Berliner weisse, but then it had a nice tropical Belgian yeast aspect also. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a refreshing sour beer.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This was a sour saison served on cask.

Appearance: hazy and opaque, pinkish red, zero head, served on cask

Aroma: sour, slightly acetic, fruity, like raspberry/strawberry/banana smoothie, wheat like aroma as well

Taste: acetic, slightly thin mouthfeel, fruity kick that thins out like most sour beers do on the finish, very tart

Mouthfeel: medium body that thins out on the finish, no carbonation to really speak of

Overall: Interesting but not amazing. Very different in that it is a sour beer, but overall is a little too fruity and not dry enough to really be called a saison. A strange concoction that I enjoyed one of but not any more.

3.2/5