Open Spaces

From:
Side Project Brewing

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Open SpacesOpen Spaces
Notes: The flanders Red has been one of my favorite styles since the start of my affection for sour beer. More than 4 years ago, I took a slightly different approach to this traditional beer by barrel fermenting it with our local microflora in Missouri Chambourcin Barrels. The result is our most precise interpretation of a sour style to date. Loads of cherry, dark fruit, a vibrant acidity and a very well-rounded almond-oak presence define this beer that was aged for 46 months in oak and bottle conditioned for 4 months before release.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 19 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle, blend 1, served in a Side Project snifter. Pours a medium reddish body, slight orange hue, one finger white head, good carbonation, short retention and no lacing. Smell is heavy vinegar acidity mixed in with sweet caramel and clean malt sweetness. It's sour, and then sweet. I like it. Flavour is a bracing, heavy vinegar acidity that transitions to a sweet caramel and tapioca flavour, with oak throughout. The barrel shows up to play. Mouthfeel is medium-fuller bodied, substantial, good carbonation with a fairly heavy acidity on the finish. Basically, this beer is sour and then sweet. It's an interesting dichotomy.

3.96/5  rDev -9%

Pours more on the reddish side, with a very strong acidic presence on the nose. Did I say acidic? I think my tongue got heartburn when it hit my mouth. Now I personally have a hard time with sours, because I have a bad heartburn reaction to the acidity, and I could not have very much of this brew. Some might find it a turn off, and others might find it enticing. So at the end of the day this beer rates pretty low on my SP scale, but for the acidity reason.

I did a little research on my own, and I think this is probably the same beer that Cory used for Unlabeled batch 2(that beer being blended and more tolerable to my heartburn reaction).

Open Spaces from Side Project Brewing