Reactor

Notes:
Reviews: 19 | Ratings: 137 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
CDCarr from Nevada

1.84/5  rDev -50.8%

OMG. I never write reviews on here, but something has to be said about this one. I think this may be one of the worst beers I've ever had. I drink almost exclusively IPA I prefer the West Coast style IPA is, but wouldn't turn down an East Coast either. This is just gross. I'm not that picky. I always say one of the only things I won't drink is a Guinness. Heck, even if I leave my go to Swami's IPA out overnight I'll just put it back in the fridge and finish it the next night. Not ideal, but still okay. Like I said, not picky... But this is undrinkable. It tastes like somebody took one of my leather shoes and pureed in the blender and poured it in a pint glass. I'd rather have a warm pint of almost any other IPA then have one more sip of this.

Dec 26, 2019
BBThunderbolt from Kiribati

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to JodiB for this one. 16oz can poured into 14oz teku. Poured a very hazy (not murky as is the current trend) orange-amber color with about 1/2 inch of off white head that had good retention and light lacing.

Nicely bold hop flavors pop out of the can, with a nice malt base upon closer sniffing. Pretty similar on the tongue, bold hops and solid malts.

The body was solid and smooth, with a nicely bitter and dry finish. Drinkability was very good. Overall, a nice example of a "real" IPA. Most certainly worth your time if you see it.

Mar 31, 2019
GuyFawkes from Illinois

1.25/5  rDev -66.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Unknown vintage; drank 3/17/19 @ the Yarchives.

Cloudy dark orange rust appearance.

A violent pour yielded a HUGE eggshell head; thick, frothy lace.

Caramel, baking soda, pine & grapefruit notes in the nose.

Thick, sticky mouthfeel.

Bitter baking soda, rancid caramel & mild table sugar flavors.

This tastes like an American barleywine that God him-or-herself damned to utter oblivion. If I see another one in a store, I will buy it just to destroy it, so no one has to suffer through it.

Mar 18, 2019
ovaltine from Indiana

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Copper color, slightly hazy, tan head, beautiful beer. Piney hops combined with malt aromas = nice old school IPA.

Taste is full of resiny pine hops, with a beefy malt backbone. A picture perfect Northwest IPA.

Feb 23, 2018
Hopheadjeffery from Illinois

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a 1 pint can on August 25, 2017. Look is dark amber. Smell and taste is dank hops and sweet caramel malts. Feel is medium in body. Nothing special.

Aug 26, 2017
barnzy78 from Illinois

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

16oz can, drank from the can
Crack of the can releases a bouquet of hops: pine, grapefruity citrus, fresh hop pellet, along with some honey and caramel malt. Heavily hop forward with pine and spruce dominating the palate; grapefruit rind and pith, a bit of orange and mango; caramel malt and honey provide a weak malt backbone and mild residual sweetness. Feel is sticky and oily, fuller body, finishes very bitter and quite dry. Not a bad IPA. Definitely hop forward with some pretty good flavors, but needs to be better balanced in my opinion.

Mar 30, 2017
barczar from Kentucky

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Aroma is very caramelly, bready, toasted malt, with sharp notes of grapefruit and orange adding contrast.

Flavor is on the sweet side initially, very bready, with a resiny, piney, fairly bitter finish. More bitter than I prefer.

Oct 16, 2016
Maryobeerian from Illinois

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured out of a 16oz can I got from the brewery a month ago. Dark honey with mild head. Nose is gassy with bit of pineapple and pine. Malty sweetness in the front of the mouth but ends dry and sharp on the roof. Love the combination of sweet and bitter that somehow comes together. Never picked out onion in a flavor profile before but agree with earlier reviewer, and it is surprisingly nice. Likewise, the mouth feel starts off full bodied but keeps a bit of the fizz. I wouldn't drink this beer every day - has a lot going on -- but look forward to it when I do. Even nicer off the tap. Good stuff.

Apr 09, 2016
Raime from Greenland

3.34/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tapistry Brewing Company Reactor.

Hmmm...Pretty sure this is my first beer out of these guys since I've never heard of them. Pretty sure the beer name is correct since it says so on the can. Always look forward to trying a new brew out of somebody and especially when it is from somebody I've never had a beer from. Enough talk, let's see what we get.

Look - From the pint can into a pilsener glass. Pours a perfect mixture of amber and golden. Almost like they did a fusion dance and come together for one beautiful combined color with a touch of the sun to light up the world. Damn I'm smooth, could talk to yo momma that way and still get it. Head is massuve and slightly off white, so big you have to dig some out with a spoon otherwise you'd be here all day pouring it off and on. Quite bubbly as well and also exceptionally frothy. Carbonation levels appear to be low with this one. Head retains exceptionally well and leaves a TON of lacing everywhere.

Smell - Smells a lot like pine. Centennial hops for days on this beer. High levels of maltyness and well. Touch of chinook which over the past few months I have grown to appreciate especially since this is fresh and has yet tk take on their notorious onion like overtones.

Taste - Weird as it may sound, I'm starting to truly aplreciate these hops for how different they are from the traditional combinations. The hops are very...moderate and slightly bready with a large touch of what people often confuse with ' cat piss ' though it surely doesn't taste like that anymore. Bits of onion, garlic, and vinegar though once again I don't hate it at all. And certainly not as much as I used to.

Feel - The body is full though sits quite lightly if that makes any sense. Flavors develop a bit more towards those undesirable realms that I do not wish to speak of so I shan't allow it to sit again. Carbonation is quite low.

Overall - Well I've made it this far into a pint of a cat piss/ Onion / Garlic bomb. Admittedly, this id not a bad beer. Also, this is brewed with a combination of hops that simply do not appeal to ME. If you like Chinook, you'll go head over balls/clit for this beer. I personally, don't care much for it. But, as far as those flavors go, this was the best one that offered them. Doubt I'd have again due to that fact, but I can't complain too much..

Oct 23, 2015
morimech from Minnesota

3.16/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Can date of 08/18/15

Clear amber color with a finger of head that had good retention. Not much lacing is left down the glass. Smells like an old IPA. I realize it is two months old but I expect it to last a little longer in the can. I smell a lot of sweet malt accompanied by a citrus hop aroma. I like the old school hop choices but I assume they have faded fast. I taste the sweet caramel malt and a lot of bitterness. Faint citrus and pine comes in near the finish. A bigger IPA in body and has nice carbonation that gives a pleasant mouthfeel.

Oct 17, 2015
DrainBamage from Michigan

3.89/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a reddish brown color with a lace of head. Smell has malty citrus aromas. Taste is malty and starts off extremely bitter, but balances out on the way down. Overall not too bad for an American IPA, but a tad to bitter for me. Would like to try this on tap though.

Oct 09, 2015
Dr_Bahmbay13 from Michigan

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served out of a 16 ounce can.
The can is dated June 16th 15.
The color is on the darker side for an IPA and looks great in the glass. Small thin head upon pour.I had it in the freezer getting cold so this may have been a factor . Beautiful nonetheless.
Smell pretty faint for me to pick up anything but definitely hop presence with some malt soul thrown this beer. The taste is obviously a little fallen off I think due to its age but, it has this agresive mouth feel and big dry hopped flavor in the resonate mouth feel. Mouth for me is a big medium. The small bubbles never seem to stop as evidence in the great lacing The Reactor mother fucking Provides fo' your ass! Overall this is a good IPA that I will want to try fresh.

Sep 03, 2015
buschbeer from Ohio

3.44/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16 fluid ounce can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a deep amber color with bright orange highlights. It is topped with an inch of beige head.

I start out smelling some citrus. Then I pick up some pine and caramel malt.

The taste begins benign enough with some caramel malt. Then before I know what is happening my mouth is assaulted by aggressive hop bitterness. It coats my entire mouth. All I can taste is bitter.

Medium mouthfeel

If you like aggressively bitter IPA's, then this beer is for you. I like the citrus and tropical IPA's. I'll leave this one on the shelves for the lover of the former IPA.

Jul 31, 2015
rudzud from Massachusetts

3.12/5  rDev -16.6%

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a nice barely hazy orange copper hue with a thin quarter inch head that fades quickly to leave thin wisps and a light halo.

S - Aromas of lightly sweet malts, bready malts, sugars, little bit of earthy hops.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. More sweet malts, caramel, earthy hops. Lingering bitter finish. Balanced, however, it's much more malt heavy than flavourful hops.

M - Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, good bitter finish that lingers.

O - Overall, this wasnt a bad IPA persay, it was just a malt bomb. Just okay.

Serving Type: Can

Jun 03, 2015
GRPunk from Michigan

4.06/5  rDev +8.6%

Pint can from Copper Vine $2.49. Can date was cut off, but it looked like 3/twenty-something. Poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- 1-finger tan head atop a hazy,golden-orange body (amber perhaps?). There was light carbonation, and awesome sticky spots left on the glass.

S- Very balanced. Caramel/brown sugar and citrus. Very fresh and grapefruit-like. Maybe a little bready too.

T- Citrus and sweet malts. A little medical and spicy hops toward the end. Dry finish.

M- Medium body, light carbonation. Clean, dry finish.

O- A solid IPA. Not a chugger, not a sipper, just a good drinking beer.

May 04, 2015
StoutHunter from Michigan

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a four pack of Tapistry Brewing's Reactor last week at The Lager Mill. I haven't had any beers from this brewery before and I'm interested to see what they are all about, so lets see how it goes. The canning date wasn't fully readable. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an orange and red color when held to the light with one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of grassy, light floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most impart a nice candied orange rind like aroma. Up next comes just a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light malt aroma with some grainy, sweet malt and light caramel malt aromas coming through. The aroma is nice, I like the hop profile, but I wouldn't mind some balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with those candied citrus rind aspects still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are pretty light and only impart a sweet malt and slightly grainy flavor. On the finish it's just a little watery with a medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy candied citrus rind aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, I like the hop profile, but I thought the malt aspect was lacking.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decebt beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had a pretty nice hop profile, but when it came to the malts it was lacking and I feel like it needed some nice caramel malt flavors to tie everything together. This beer has nice drinkability, it's smooth, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste does an ok job at holding my attention, I think one can is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile, it's pretty nice. What I like the least about this beer is the lack of malts in the flavor in aroma, i wish there was more of a malt presence. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn it down and I can't say I would recommend it as a standout IPA. All in all I this isn't a bad beer, but it does need a little work. IT made for an OK first impression for this brewery and it's pretty close to being average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but with a little work I think this could be a pretty nice IPA, better luck next time.

Apr 12, 2015
superspak from Ohio

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 3/27/2015. Pours slightly hazy deep orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, herbal, floral, grass, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, herbal, floral, grass, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pine, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and balance of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt flavors; with good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately sticky, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice standard C hopped IPA. All around good complexity and balance of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

Apr 11, 2015
TreyIsWilson from Michigan

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a large three-finger off-white sturdy head. The head dissapates slowly leaving tons of soapy lacing.

S - Aromas of mango, grapefruit, and caramel malts.

T - The flavor starts off with a mix of juicy oranges, mango, and caramel malts. The sweetness fades into piney hops and grapefruit. There is some nice lingering bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth mouthfeel.

O - This is a nice juicy IPA with a good mix of tropical fruits and piney hops. This is my second beer from Tapistry and I have been impressed by both.

Apr 10, 2015
K-Dog from Michigan

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To me the best thing about this brew is the smell. A very minty aroma and unique for an ipa. Other than that it's not terrible but not great. Worth a try.

Apr 05, 2015