Reactor | Tapistry Brewing

Added by BrewtalHonesty on 10-23-2013

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.16/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Can date of 08/18/15

Clear amber color with a finger of head that had good retention. Not much lacing is left down the glass. Smells like an old IPA. I realize it is two months old but I expect it to last a little longer in the can. I smell a lot of sweet malt accompanied by a citrus hop aroma. I like the old school hop choices but I assume they have faded fast. I taste the sweet caramel malt and a lot of bitterness. Faint citrus and pine comes in near the finish. A bigger IPA in body and has nice carbonation that gives a pleasant mouthfeel.

3.84/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16 fluid ounce can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a deep amber color with bright orange highlights. It is topped with an inch of beige head.

I start out smelling some citrus. Then I pick up some pine and caramel malt.

The taste begins benign enough with some caramel malt. Then before I know what is happening my mouth is assaulted by aggressive hop bitterness. It coats my entire mouth. All I can taste is bitter.

Medium mouthfeel

If you like aggressively bitter IPA's, then this beer is for you. I like the citrus and tropical IPA's. I'll leave this one on the shelves for the lover of the former IPA.

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a four pack of Tapistry Brewing's Reactor last week at The Lager Mill. I haven't had any beers from this brewery before and I'm interested to see what they are all about, so lets see how it goes. The canning date wasn't fully readable. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an orange and red color when held to the light with one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of grassy, light floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most impart a nice candied orange rind like aroma. Up next comes just a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light malt aroma with some grainy, sweet malt and light caramel malt aromas coming through. The aroma is nice, I like the hop profile, but I wouldn't mind some balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with those candied citrus rind aspects still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are pretty light and only impart a sweet malt and slightly grainy flavor. On the finish it's just a little watery with a medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy candied citrus rind aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, I like the hop profile, but I thought the malt aspect was lacking.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decebt beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had a pretty nice hop profile, but when it came to the malts it was lacking and I feel like it needed some nice caramel malt flavors to tie everything together. This beer has nice drinkability, it's smooth, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste does an ok job at holding my attention, I think one can is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile, it's pretty nice. What I like the least about this beer is the lack of malts in the flavor in aroma, i wish there was more of a malt presence. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn it down and I can't say I would recommend it as a standout IPA. All in all I this isn't a bad beer, but it does need a little work. IT made for an OK first impression for this brewery and it's pretty close to being average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but with a little work I think this could be a pretty nice IPA, better luck next time.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

Copper color, slightly hazy, tan head, beautiful beer. Piney hops combined with malt aromas = nice old school IPA.

Taste is full of resiny pine hops, with a beefy malt backbone. A picture perfect Northwest IPA.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not bad. A bit too bitter and not mellow. Probably not going with this one again

Reactor from Tapistry Brewing