Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza | Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Read the review
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)
New Mexico, United States

Style: Chile Beer

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Added by twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 83
3.08/5  rDev -3.8%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

2.95/5  rDev -7.8%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

2.92/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

2.91/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, and what head did form (not much) was gone in a flash, leaving a few stray bubbles aroud the rim of the surface of the light golden brew. Absolutely no lacing. Aroma is dominated by green peppers, which one would expect. Taste is dominated by the pepperness in all facets, but some pale malt sweetness does poke its nose out here and there. Mouthfeel is limp, with little carbonation, and drinkability is so-so. Not one for pepper-haters, but seemingly not as bad as that other crazy pepper beer.

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale yellow, straw color, very little head that dissipates quickly, no lacing

S: Green chile, bread, slight hops

T: Sweet bread and malts, definetly get the green chile flavor but little heat from the chile up front, possibly a slight hoppy bitterness on the end of the taste.

M: Light, little carbonation, as you drink several sips there is a little bit of heat that builds in the mouth

O: I will admit that chile in a beer is not my favorite ingredient. Ive tried a chile beer on one other occasion and I didnt like it. I would never have given this a shot but received it as a gift from a friend when I visited New Mexico. I will say that I liked this one much better than the other chile beer that I tried though.

2.71/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Whole Foods-Indian School Plaza. From the get-go, a weak pour, pale golden and minimal head. Aroma of peppers. Stronger in aroma than in taste. Seems that some chilies were added to a pale lager. Nothing too special here, pepper aroma and taste, not even finishing well.

2.08/5  rDev -35%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

1.86/5  rDev -41.9%

A: what an awful sight. Looks like bubbly urine. Lack of head on this pour paired with bubbles ascending to surface reminds me of a child's glass of cider at holiday dinner table. Aestheticly pleasing in no way. Disclaimer yea there was half way decent lace afloat the instant I poured however it dissipated quicker than that on a budweiser light or natural ice. C'mon now Im not down with these games.

S: 3 guesses, green chiles. wow. Oh and it's quite potent I may add. Its a novelty but damn good though. They nailed this one. That is the best attribute in my opinion, and by a long shot.

T: Oh my here we go. Green chile dust water. I mean I dont taste the beer, maybe my buds are weak and inexperienced or maybe these folks went overboard and created a flop of a brew. Yea that's what it is. I am glad I just have one, grabbed it at the store in one of those build your own sixers.

O: next purchase would be as a GAG GIFT. at best. but probably not.

1.86/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

People in New Mexico have a little thing with their chiles. Well actually it is a big thing. Eat anywhere that serves regional cuisine and you will be asked "red, green, or both?" Chile is served on everything, so I guess it is only natural that someone makes a beer with it. While it may sound like a great idea, it ended up being a disaster in my mouth - and glass. No head whatsoever. The first sip actually burnt the back of my mouth a bit from the chile and after that the chile was so strong, I could barely keep it in my mouth. Now the question is what I am going to do with the other 5 bottles in my fridge. Not to mention the half full glass next to me that I won't be able to finish.

P.S. If a green chile could take a piss, this is what would be in the toilet.

1.06/5  rDev -66.9%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)