Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza | Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza
3.33/5
Okay
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)
New Mexico, United States
sierrablancabrewery.com

Style: Chile Beer

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Added by twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010

3.7

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Pale, straw yellow color, white head that very quickly disappears (a common trait amongst chili beers - my understanding is the chili oils prohibit head formation/retention). Musty, chili aroma. Very mild flavor; not much chili 'oomph'. Slightly malty character. Thin body, somewhat watery. Crisp and clean.

A pretty basic and faceless chili beer. Underwhelming is my assessment, but I gave it a 3.5 rating for taste because you do get a light chili presence. I'm not sure, but it strikes me as being a lager as opposed to an ale. That might explain some of its smooth character. Perhaps a good 'starter' chili beer if someone is new to the style (and is afraid of too much heat) due to its mild nature. There are better examples out there.

3.76/5  rDev +12.9%

It seems Sierra Blanca Brewing took over the old Rio Grande brewey and decided to carry on a few of their beers, this is one of them. 12 oz bottle pours a light yellow color with a thin and rapidly diminishing white foam. Readily apparent this is a lager based chile beer.

The nose is pretty nice as the green chiles smell very much like being fire roasted. As with most beers in this category, the chiles dominate every other aroma in the beer. That's fine with me as I dont know if I could ever get sick of eating, drinking or smelling them!

Tastes like the base of this beer is a pretty bland lager, there is a light graininess from the malt and that is balanced by a faint hop bitterness. The chiles are great, not overly powerful or hot, but the roasted flavor has the faintest reminder of cardboard. This is far from the abomination that is Cave Creek, it's a pretty drinkable beer. There is a very slight heat in the back of the throat, but nothing dramatic. I probably will like this beer more than most, as I absolutely love green chiles in beer. This one is a pretty decent attempt, I like it.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #49 (Feb 2011):

With the pop of the cap, the nose is invaded by an even green-chili flavor. Crystal-clear golden color and fine bubbles keep the lacing alive. Fluffy crispness in this lighter-bodied beer. Green chili flavor is very prevalent from start to finish, very even, while still letting other flavors through. Beery flavors ensue, with fermented grain and a quick kiss of hops. Clean dry finish with a very mild chili warmth. It screams "lunchtime beer"--what a great way to wake up the palate. Without a doubt this is a very well put together chili beer.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.71/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.14/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer opended with barely a wisp of carbonation leaving the bottle. It poured into the glass hazy with particulates pale golden straw and no head...none, nada, zip.

The aroma was green chillies, plain and simple. The whole time I was sniffing the aroma I was thinking, please, do not let this beer be a scotcher. The chillies overpower all other aromas that could possibly have been emitted from this beer. The chili aroma eventually takes your breath away.

The flavor was watery. The malt character was mostly absent and the chillies were actually well achieved in the flavor. The bittering was indecernable from the heat that came from the chillies which overpowered all else. There was a certain malt presence but the chillies drowned that out, however the heat was only mild to moderate.

The finish was even, not dry, not sweet and the chillie heat was in high in the back of the throat, not burning and not particularly overdone. The body was medium and the carbonation was nonexistent.

12 ounce bottle. No freshness dating. Purchased for $3.06 per six pack at Green's in Atlanta. This is a great beer for adding to chillie which is exactly what I plan to do with most of the rest of them.

4.14/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Sample in ABQ airport

Appearance Bright yellow , good clarity with a ring of white lace

Aroma Mild vegetal chile note

Taste Big Chile note melds nicely with a slightly sweet and clean base.

Feel Light body, clean finish

Overall Darn tasty. Good chile taste without any heat

3.35/5  rDev +0.6%

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle provided by GCBrewingCo..what a great guy. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours...well, nuts, into my glass went some sediment. It was looking crystal clear light tan up to that point. Has a rapidly disappearing white soda-pop head. Smells potently of vegetable pepper with only a mild hot sting involved. This is good as I'm a bit of a 'sissy pants' when it comes to hot foods. Another sniff reveals a smoked quality, or perhaps a smell similar to that of sausage stuffed peppers cooked over the grill. Taste is not hot. It's really nice pepper tasting. Rounded and green and very vegetable tasting. Other beer qualities are either missing or drowned out by the strong pepper flavor. Oops, I spoke too soon...the aftertaste does have a bit of belly warmness and I'm likely to need a tums before bed. And after half a glass, the back of my tongue can feel the heat too. Fortunately, I've just made two really cheesy beef burritos and I'm ready to make good use of this beer. Is this a drop-everything-I-gotta-get-my-hands-on-it beer? No. It has a purpose and it serves that quite well. Md-light body and mildly carbonated.

So, now that I'm halfway done with my first burrito, I must say that this beer is really hitting the spot. I would have never imagined seeking out a pepper beer before, but I could definitely see tracking this beer down so I could serve it up when entertaining with Mexican food.

Scores from my review are judged to style, not to super-ultimate-greatest-incredible-beer-in-the-world.

3.38/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pale banana yellow, slightly chill-hazed, topped with a one-finger head of fuzzy white. A thick, bubbly ring remains.

In the nose: a bit of sour grain and maybe some apple and cracker, but behind it all is the subtle fire of pepper, like the juice of a fresh jalapeno. It's actually not terrible -- the piquancy adds some interest to a pretty bland aroma.

Take note, Cave Creek: this is how a chili lager is made. The flavor exhibits the natural character of a bland American lager -- a bit of breadiness, the slightest hint of sweet apple. The star of the flavor is the pepper, but it's applied with such a light touch. I get none of the abrasive, jarring heat that turns me off in other beers like this one -- just the crisp, snappily herbal qualities of pepper.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation and a subtle fizziness. The beer finishes with a refreshing snap, each sip clearing the palate and preparing for the next sip.

Having experienced so many disgusting attempts at chili beer, this one was a pleasant surprise. It's definitely not my favorite style, but I wouldn't turn away another bottle of Rio Grande -- which is saying a lot.

3.67/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours a golden pale color with a thin white head that vanishes quickly.

S - Pickled green chiles, mild grain, savory aromas.

T - Follows the nose but more of a sweeter red chile, bits of muted vinegar, no heat, mild hops in the background.

M - Moderate foamy carbonation, light bodied.

Very interesting flavors. This would go great with chips and salsa.

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

2.08/5  rDev -37.5%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

3.17/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm both a beer geek and a green chile geek, so I had hopes for this. Alas, they pulled their punches on this one. The beer just doesn't have enough green chile character. It's got a little heat, but that's not the problem. Good green chile can be only mild to medium on the heat. I'd just like a more deeply flavored green chile effect.

As for the rest of the beer, it's a standard lager, basically an AAL. As those go, it's OK.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

3.32/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, didn't see if there was a freshness date on it. This pours a light golden or a straw colored beer with a small head which quickly dissipates. The feel is light and crisp. The smell is with an obvious green chili aroma followed by a crisp lager smell. The taste is much of the same, you get a nice smooth bit of green chilies, not hot at all but very pronounced.

2.92/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)