Barrel Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake Stout
Angry Chair Brewing

Barrel Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake StoutBarrel Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake Stout
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Notes:
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 297 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.96/5  rDev +4.6%

2020 vintage:

Jet black, low head retention but a stubborn ring of lacing. Huge coconut and chocolate on the nose. The taste is really unbelievable, as far as staying true to the title. I've been told by several this is the best vintage yet, and I can understand why. Pastry stouts are already somewhat gimmicky by nature, but this one delivers the adjuncts in a way that is somehow both aggressive and balanced. It finishes thick, smooth and lingers for a while. This is a real treat, and delivers on the hype in a way that I rarely see. Drink fresh.

3.85/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours an oily, night black color with a small beige head, receeding immediately to a small ring of lacing.

Smells of toasted coconut, spicy licorice and warm oak. The nose isn‘t too pungent in itself with just a hint of vanilla hovering atop.

Drinks utmost thick, oily with a decadent, smooth mouthfeel. The body on this is huge, heavy and complex.

Tastes of sweet milk chocolate, together with toasted, sweet coconut and a lighter, spicy, warming barrel appearance. Has an almost extreme oiliness to it, quite possibly from the prominent, flowery coconut in this, resulting into a decadent smoothness with loads of whipped cream. Finishes with even more chocolate covered spices, heavier on the licorice than on the barrel, leaving a longer lasting milk chocolate and licorice aftertaste on the palate.

Yepp, this is sweet and decadent. Its standout aspect is its supersmooth, silk mouthfeel, highlighting unfortunately nothing in particular. The coconut is well integrated in this, while the bourbon barrel only plays a minor part, wasting a lot of potential to overcome the simple number of adjuncts in this, potentially creating a truly complex stout.

4.71/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

6oz. Pour.

Dark browm/black with a small mocha head.

Smells of rich chocolate, caramel and coconut.

Taste mimics the nose. Sweet but manages to not become cloying. Great flavors that meld together well.

Mouthfeel is medium-heavy with low carbonation.

My first Angry Chair experience and quite a good one. Expensive but definately worth a shot.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a cracked bottle (damaged during shipping) into a styrofoam cup in the parking ramp over my work lunch hour. After I opened the stained shipping box to find that the bottle still had about 6 ounces in it I decided I just had to try this. Glad I did. Amazing beer loaded with chocolate. Creamy and smooth. If not for the acquisition cost I'd go after another of these.

4.45/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Those of you that actually read past the fact sheet on my reviews know that I carry a strong inherent bias against pastry stouts because I don’t handle sweetness very well. Some of you may have also noticed that I don’t seem as disenchanted when it comes to barrel-aged stouts and barleywine, when they sometimes taste as sweet, if not sweeter than other representations of pastry stouts available on the market.

Besides the actually unendurable levels of sweetness that set light up my TAS1R2 and TAS1R3 with the force of hellfire, the thing that puts me off most about pastry stouts seem to be the driving force behind its popularity. I’m not going to straight up say that I don’t like pastry stouts because of all the hype and attention they receive, because I myself am guilty of buying into beers and brands that receive hype and attention and actually enjoying them every once in a while, but it’s probably because one of the things I value most about beer is that it’s proletariat and ubiquitous in nature; if I like a beer, I want to be able to reach out into my fridge and grab another one, or run to the store and buy another without feeling like I could have done better things with my money—the reason why I value mouthfeel so much in a beer is because I personally believe that correlates most strongly into how repeatable a beer is no matter how flavorful or unique tasting a brew should be, I normally won’t want to try another unless there’s some sense of balance or leveling factor that clears my palate for the next sip.

Given my totally made-up standards and personal values stated above, pastry stouts couldn’t stand any further from brews that I would normally be willing to pay an amount of money or stand in line for. I’m pretty sure this comment will come back to bite me in the ass when I find myself standing in line for BA Double Stack next month, but I digress.

Some (actual) preliminary thoughts about this beer. Apparently German Chocolate Cake doesn’t really come from Germany, and despite its name, its main highlight is whipped cream and the coconut-pecan frosting that’s used to fill the cake. On a more relevant note, this beer is best summed up by contrasting it to the beloved Street Fighter ZERO character Hibiki Dan.

So for those of you that aren’t millennials or were living under a rock when Street Fighter, Dan’s character was created as a parody of SNK’s King of Fighters franchise characters Ryo and Robert, who very suspiciously resembled Street Fighter’s two most recognizable characters, Ryu and Ken. Outside of having twisted mannerisms and catchphrases suspiciously resembling the two SNK characters that were ripping off Capcom characters that he was ripping off, Dan is kind of memorable for being all show and no power whatsoever; his super/EX combo finish, Shinkū Gadōken, for example, looks awfully similar to Ryū’s Shinkū Hadōken while doing 1/40th of the damage it does—many-a-times have I sat in front of the TV screen, thinking “oh shit I’m fucked” when I saw the screen suddenly turn red, orange, and yellow while CPU Dan caught me off guard with my HP at 30%, only to realize my character was still alive after being hit by ostentatious super combo.

Labored metaphors aside, BAIGCC is similar to Dan’s super finish in that it packs all the flavors it purports to deliver in one ginormous, sugar-spice-and-everything-nice upside your head, but then presenting a rapidly drying finish, which makes you feel stupid for cringing and bracing for impact—it’s hard to explain in close detail, but it’s like the opposite of getting a penicillin shot at the doctor’s, where you don’t feel the needle going in, but it feels like somebody injected the meaty part of your butt cheek with peanut butter for the rest of the day.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
A vacuum wave motion fist of toasted coconuts, wild sugar cane, rum cake, baker’s chocolate, intense caramelized sugar hits you square in the noggin, followed by a frosting-like sweetness. There’s a slight hint of hazelnuts that follow the gargantuan sweet super attack before all the flavors just simply drop off the side of the earth. Save for some residual flavors of hazelnuts and powdered sugar, your pixelated character brushes off the blow as if nothing happened and gets up ready to fight again—the fight against the glass is one of attrition after that initial “surprise”
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The mouthfeel is initially thick and sticky like raw cake batter, but it morphs into a more tolerable moist-ish soft texture with subsequent sips. The only way carbonation could make any impact on this beer is if it were effervescent to the level of a brut champagne; the intense brick wall of mouthfeel counteracts against any fleeting semblance of carbon dioxide on the tongue.

4.99/5  rDev +5.3%

Dark black with a pretty thin tan head. Smell is pure vanilla and coconut. Taste is out of this world, one of the best things I've ever tasted, period. Coconut up front, smoothing out into pure chocolate flavor that really does taste like German chocolate cake. The only knock I'll give it is that the barrel doesn't come through a ton in the flavor, but it's hard to call that a negative when it tastes this good. Pretty sweet, but not painfully so. Smooth feel, maybe I'd like it a little bit thicker, but again - this is just quibbling and it's hard to really knock this at all. Fantastic.

4.67/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2018 vintage. Released about a year ago.

A: Pours jet black with a thick cap of dark brown, espresso-like head. Recedes quickly to a sharp ring. A few dots of lacing.

S: Dark cocoa, toasted coconut, oak, vanilla bean ice cream, and bourbon, with light roast and anise rounding things out. Very well balanced between the various aromas.

T: Rich liquid chocolate, moderate roast, toasted coconut, oak, bourbon, cola, and vanilla bean. Moderately sweet, like the base, but balanced more than the base with the bourbon and roast.

M: Thick, chewy, and full bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Exceptional BA pastry stout. Pretty sweet, as expected, but the sweetness is balanced with the other elements, all of which you can pick out individually.

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to Heisenbrew for this 750ML bottle, which I am taking solo tonight. If you don’t hear from me by Sunday night, please send someone out to check my dead body’s blood sugar level.

Ever go blind? That’s how dark the beer is, with nearly no visible carbonation. The nose is barrel aged brownie whipped up with bitter cocoa. I’d eat that.

Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake – Barrel Aged was easily my favorite beer from Tampa Beer Week 2018, & the bottle doesn’t quite live up to my glowing memories. It is, of course, sweet enough that my vulnerability to type 2 diabetes just ticked upwards 5%. Straight corn syrup mixes with cane sugar & supremely bitter chocolate to form the base: the chocolate actually took a half hour to warm before the nasty edge wore off the bitter cocoa. Below the sweet upper crust is a healthy helping of bourbon, milky chocolate, long pull of vanilla, & cake batter. I don’t believe I typed that. Thick, full, coma-inducing. Pretty sure I’m not going to have any trouble finishing this off by myself. That said, I’m getting full.

Not as mid-blowing as fresh off the tap, but still an excellent beer…if you have a high tolerance for all things sugar.

4.64/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exactly what you want a German chocolate cake stout to taste like. Coconut and chocolate throughout with great body and aromas. Maybe a little on the sweet side, but we are splitting hairs at that point

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

I've nearly managed to try Barrel Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake stout on two or three occasions now - this time, it did not elude me! I also had the pleasure of trying this side by side with the non-barrel-aged bottle - and while this experience certainly hurt my teeth a bit, it was a pretty great time to be alive!

I've had my fair share of sweet, sticky, dessert beverages, but there's just something about Angry Chair's dessert stouts that surpasses everyone else's attempts - the beers are practically simple syrup in consistency and taste, but then they're also quite high in ABV, and don't taste it for a second. BAIGCCS is like a bucket of fudgy chocolate cake batter goodness - it coats your glass and it's absolutely opaque. The carb is so minimal that it's like drinking a light viscosity glass of motor oil. A delicious one, obviously. The nose is rich and warm, and that chocolate is just excellent on the nose and in the taste buds.

I really liked this beer - but as I told my friends, I think this will be the only time I'll ever drink it, and I'm honestly pretty okay with that. It's just too much - there's no moderation to this beer. It's a bottle that you essentially need to share, because the flavors and syrupyness of the beer is just unrelenting.

In all, like many of Angry Chair's beers, it's a tremendously compelling novelty - I really enjoy, and would certainly recommend it... but I can happily live without it ever again. Yum and done, basically.

4.66/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with little to no head. Nose it’s bakers chocolate, sweet coconut, getting some barrel heat, grain alcohol. Taste follows the nose, rich milk chocolate, coconut, get a little oak/bourbon note. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth. Overall, delicious stout. As I’ve stated on several of my BA AC reviews, the only knock this beer is there is not a big barrel presence here. Otherwise, fantastic.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750mL bottle into an Angry Chair pint glass. Thanks Ryan for sharing this one.

Aromas are straight chocolate cake batter intermingled with some bourbon, cocoa, chocolate fudge, hershey’s syrup.

On the tongue is rich chocolate fudge, sweet chocolate cake with a dark chocolate frosting. Bourbon barrel adds a vanilla-caramel flavor in the background, but the dominant flavor is straight fudge cake. Full-bodied with a rich, thick mouthfeel that coats the tongue. Low carbonation. This is most definitely a sipper.

This beer may be the king of pastry stouts – it’s literal liquid chocolate cake, as the name suggests.

4.75/5  rDev +0.2%

Pastry stout delight! Poured very dark with a mocha head into a Torst glass. Expected this to be more like motor oil but it wasn’t. Aromas of fudge and subtle coconut release from the glass. Smells like dessert! Flavors are insane. Pretty sweet with fudge brownies, coconut and subtle Barrel/oak. Amazing flavors here. Like I’m sipping on brownie batter. Feel is viscous and mouth coating. Pretty sticky. Overall, this was a treat. Dessert in every way!

Poured from a bottle. Motor oil look and pour. Coconut fat floating on top. Smell is coconut, chocolate, vanilla, barrel, amazing. Taste is all of that, plus adding that perfect thick and chewy mouthfeel, you get the perfect beer.

4.38/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer, but I have to say for the value and what I gave up to get this I would rather go for the non ba version. Great beer, where I think the bourbon barrel actually does not add a lot cause there are so many adjuncts. Definitely a chocolate bomb. Gets points because of Angry Chair's dark lacing and overall turbid, oily, thickness that makes it a unique beer.

Batch 1 bottle, so thick, so sweet. Smells exactly like German cake, great smell. Pours nice and thick. Great dark look. Taste is one of the best. Angry chair barrel aged stouts are fantastic.

batch 1 drank on 3/24/2018 split 4 ways into a snifter

Look - pitch black, low carb but still a little, thick but not massive lacing, still a lot there
Smell - sweet chocolate galore, my oh my. this really is a chocolate bomb that smells like a chocolate cupcake. plenty of vanilla and barrel coming through, but definitely playing second fiddle to the chocolate. the coconut is subtle but opens up more as it warms. really incredible.
Taste - follows the nose, however, i do get some caramel in the taste too. a really nice addition with everything else going on.
Feel-pretty heavy thickness, no booze, finish is exceptional. really coats the mouth and lingers in a terrific way
Overall - the hype is real. This is not overrated and this will age impeccably. I had a small sample a year ago and thinks its improved a ton. I think this may not peak for another 2 year to be honest. Incredible beer and could keep getting better. WOW

4.58/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hell of a beer! Would I pay the crazy secondary price? No. Very thankful a family member stood in line and got a bottle.
The only detractor with this beer was a soy sauce aroma after initial pour. Thankfully it wasn't present in the taste. That was very much German Chocolate.

4.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a snifter

A- pours deep black color with a one-finger khaki colored head that has decent retention and reduces to a ring around the edge

S- tons of barrel aroma up front; bourbon, wet oak & vanilla. Undertones of dark chocolate fudge, caramel, toffee, toasted coconut and light toffee

T- caramel and coconut sweetness up front, followed by notes of chocolate cake with sweet vanilla icing. Mid-palate brings out notes of nutty mocha fudge, followed by plenty of barrel notes to stand up to the sweetness; bourbon, woody oak and more vanilla on the finish

M- medium-heavy body with low carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel that continues into a velvety finish. This seems to have a thicker mouthfeel than it's non-BA counterpart

O- plenty of barrel character to match up with the sweetness of the adjuncts, outstanding

4.99/5  rDev +5.3%

Looks like chocolate fudge with a thick khaki head
Smells like fudge and coconut with a hint of bourbon and carmel
Tastes like a big fudgy piece of German cake
This beer lasts forever in your mouth... absolutely amazing

Mini share at a SP release. Pours pitch black with smells of sweet bourbon interlaced with chocolate. I've had the non-barrel aged version, and while this is a tad thinner, it makes up with the chocolate flavor. Sweet and glorious chocolate flavor for days. Loved it.

shout out to mcbeerguy for sharing this with us all and well showing us beeradvocate
Look: really dark black and thick
smell: coconut and chocolate, little caramel and bourbon
taste: cake batter and matches the nose with a bourbon finish
feel: lingers forever, medium mouth, no carbination
overall: best beer ever

Look: motor oil black, .5 incur khaki head
Smell: coconut, vanilla, chocolate and bourbon
Taste: it's basically cake batter, big German chocolate cake batter
Feel: medium body, light carbonation and a long lasting taste.

Popped a couple of these bottles. Both times poured into teku's.

Look: Moter Oil
Smell: Fresh German Chocolate Cake!! The best nose ever!!
Taste: Huge coconut first then chocolate covered bourbon. Perfect amount of barrel. Absolutely mind blowing
Feel: Moter Oil
Overall: I've had the pleasure of opening a couple bottles of this beer. Both times I was completely amazed. Top 5 beer for me all time!!!

4.81/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: dark brown to black with a think khaki head
Smell: huge barrel, alcohol and chocolate... Big chocolate cake bomb
Taste: huge fudge, coconut, chocolate, more chocolate and more... finish is vanilla and bourbon.
Feel: velvet, low carbonation, sticky long lasting mouth feel... feels like liquid cake

Overall: best beer of 2017, overall it's a big chocolate cake beer with a solid bourbon finish.

Barrel Aged Imperial German Chocolate Cupcake Stout from Angry Chair Brewing