Doublé Belgian Dubble | Diebolt Brewing Company

Style: Dubbel

Added by spoony on 03-09-2014

Reviews by spoony:
3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewery into a chalice.

A-It is dark brown with reddish highlights and some light gets through. This beer is lighter in color than many dubbels with more clarity, as well. My pour arrive with no head...just a collar of tan foam.

S-The aroma is pretty subdued. There is a good bit of raisin-scented malts here, but also an out-of-place hoppy bitterness and a porter-like whiff of cocoa. Sweetness is there, but is held back by the hop scent.

T-I could swear this was a porter! There is a heavy (for the style) flavor of cocoa and milk chocolate that mostly masks the more traditional Belgian malt flavors of raisin and prune, which lurk underneath. The stronger-than-normal hop flavor adds an odd bitterness and while this beer will not be mistaken for a black IPA, the hops are very obvious.

M-The feel is medium in heft with a nice, almost-creamy carbonation that rolls across the palate.

O-Diebolt touts this brew as a dubbel with hops and they are correct about the hops, but I'm not so sure about the dubbel part. I could have used more fruit and molasses and spice (and alcohol) in there to balance out the flavor profile a bit. Maybe I'm too traditional, but I like my dubbels sweet and spicy and boozy and this missed those marks.

Doublé Belgian Dubble from Diebolt Brewing Company