N00b | Odd13 Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by rscot231 on 02-11-2016

3.99/5  rDev -2%

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 12 oz can (canned June 22, 2017) to a tulip.

A-A normal pour produces a fat finger of white foamy head. The foam fades quickly to a film, but it leaves a lot of fine white lacing on the glass. The beer is a dull, earthy, brown-tinted yellow. I understand the beer is supposed to look this way, but it is not attractive.

S-The aroma is a nice tart, citrusy mixture of lemon, tangerine, mandarin orange, and pineapple. There is nice aroma of acidity here. I sniff a little hint of doughy, bready pale malts for balance.

T-The beer tastes much like it smells, with heavy flavors of pineapple and citrus. A little pine creeps in, but I would categorize this beer as having more of an orange rind/pithy bitterness than astringent pine bitterness. White-bread malt flavors are mild.

M-The beer has one of the creamier mouthfeels that I have tried in a pale ale. Even when compared to other NE-style beers, this one feels almost like it has been brewed with oats. Heft is medium to heavy.

O-I still find them ugly, but I am slowly finding NE-style hoppy beers that I like. This one is up there among the better that I have tried. Some may think its too mild on the hops, but I found it drinkable and tasty.

3.69/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Good hazy IPA from Odd13, but not as good as their other hazy IPA Superfan which foregoes the strange chunky pineapple smell and mouth feel I felt in the Noob. Eeek. Not for me on a daily basis but happy to have tried it. A little too tropical for me, chunky yeast at the end if you're not careful drinking this.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick head that fades to foamy glaze with nice lacing. Aroma is banana, lemon, light bread, grapefruit. Palate of biscuits, hops, herbal, lemon,lime. Pros refreshing, bright, crisp, pairs well with food, balanced, some creaminess in texture. Cons of simple, a little staleness, not very hoppy at all, definetly no dank hopiness. 90/100.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a hazy orange/ yellow color, with great foam sticking around. Aroma is zesty orange, tropical fruit (cannot name) and faint pine. Taste follows with a good kick of zesty, pithy citrus up front that transitions to more tropical fruit and bready malt. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not too creamy or light.

Really enjoy this one.

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev -2%

3.58/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Clear 14.75-oz. porter/stout tulip
From: Craft Beer Cellar in Fort Collins, Colo.
Price: $10.80 (with 10 pct. off) for a 6-pack
Purchased: March 24, 2017
Consumed: March 27, 2017
Reviewed as: American IPA
Misc.: Packaged on March 10, 2017

Went to Craft Beer Cellar in Fort Collins, Colo., specifically looking for Odd13 and some Melvin. Check and check. Have had three others by Odd13 and liked them all, especially the Codename: Holidayfan. Had high hopes going in.

Poured a straw gold yellow hazy color with 2-to-3 fingers of frothy off-white head. Slow moving bubbles coming up along the sides of the glass. Excellent spiderweb foamy lacing. Almost perfect foamy retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled a healthy dose of juices up front, including orange, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, pear and peach. Maybe even some mix berries. There’s a name for this juice that is a mass-produced mix, but I couldn’t figure it out. Tough to figure out hops but I would say El Dorado, and maybe Centennial or Amarillo. Not getting Citra. Good smell for the style. (Smell - 4.00)

Taste followed the nose as well. Tons of juice - orange, pineapple, grapefruit, pear, mango, papaya and guava. Some creaminess to this one as well with orange blossom and floral. El Dorado for hops and Citra I think. Wanted to say Mosaic, but I think it was more he juicy citrus and tropical hops. (Taste - 4.00)

Light-to-medium body. Creamy texture. Lively carbonation. Long, juicy finish. (Feel - 4.25)

This was about as juicy as you can have it. I would have liked more hops, but I’m picky when it comes to NE IPAs. I want more hops and less juice. (Overall - 4.00)

4.06 | 91 | A-

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

I have been going to Odd 13 for over a year, and knew they brewed several ipa's, but I guess I paid attention to more of their sours and didn't understand the NE IPA craze going on right now. Now that I better understand the intent of the style and the beer itself, I think I can give an honest review. If I were to rate this as a normal IPA, I might give the look a 1 rating due to the murky haze.... But for the sake of rating the beer true to style I'll give it a 3.5, which I feel is fair. Despite how the style is supposed to look, it is still quite unappealing when compared to a brilliant, filtered IPA with awesome lacing, head retention, etc.

L: 3.5- see earlier comments. don't love the haze but I understand what the intent is.

S: Hoppy aroma with citrus and some tropical fruit. A tad bit of spice. doesnt' burst with aroma but it's there.

T: Lots of tropical fruit here, and the bitterness is subdued. Its almost like drinking a glass of pineapple juice. I also pick up some papaya and mango. not a lot of malt sweetness but it is balanced.

F: somewhat oily, medium bodied. slick on the tongue

O: I enjoy this fresh out of the can. It is approachable, sessionable. and you can enjoy a few with out being overwhelmed. ( I wont' say "crushable" as the "bros" out there who are really into this style might describe it.) I would prefer a little more balance to the overall experience. The hop characteristic is enjoyable and the dry-hopping is nice. I prefer N00B right now to Codename: Superfan, which is the more popular NE IPA they brew right now. For $10 for a sixer it isnt' too expensive compared to others, and you gotta love the artwork and ideas behind the beers.

N00b from Odd13 Brewing