Barrel Aged American Presidential Stout
Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.

Rate It
Score:
Ranked #2,160
4.4 | pDev: 6.59%
From:
Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.

Arizona, United States
Avail:
Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Notes: This is the version sold in growlers and on tap at the pub. It is a blend of Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace and rye whiskey barrels.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 48 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DaverCS from Arizona

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2018 latest release. Pours black in Color with great lacing, alcohol legs, prickly carbonation, and a light brown head.

Aroma is unique. Lots of fruity coffee, vanilla, citrus, warm spices, dark fruit, and booze.

Mouthfeel is lighter; not super viscous. Lots of fruity coffee, hops, dark fruits, and a little cocoa. This is by no means a classic bourbon barrel stout. Much lighter with more fruity character. Near the end of the sip some bourbon burn comes in. As the beer warms a palatable spice builds and lingers, which adds a uniqueness.

Overall, this is a unique beer but really only worth trying once. At 10$ a can, I would not buy again. The mouthfeel is too thin and there just isn’t enough richness for me. I see this pairing well with anything with a mole sauce it gets a 88/100.

Mar 30, 2018
kerry4porters from Arizona

4.81/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great taste of cocoa and bourbon originally had it aged for a few months so the bourbon and coa melded together perfectly and had a nice little kick from the chillies jet black and viscous as hell closer to drinkable syrup was so good
Fresh is not as smooth blenbd of flavors and this is the latest batch so I don't think they had the same barrels available. Still a smooth BA Imperial stout and nice robust flavor.

Sep 01, 2014
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This poured out as a rich oily black color with a decent brown head on top. The smell of the beer is chocolaty and sweet with a bit of oak in there. The taste of the beer is a little sweet with a good amount of vanilla and chocolate with some roasted bitterness. The feel of the beer is full bodied. Overall this beer is very nice.

Jul 14, 2014
wethorseblanket from California

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Grenade growler shared by Kevin - thanks.

A: Pours black with reddish highlights with a thin (1/4-inch) tan head which settles to the rim and leaves a few spots of lace.

N: Roasty, dark cocoa powder, grainy, smokey, ash, oak.

T: Follows nose with some layered coffee, pepper and vanilla notes.

M: Full body and light carbonation. Thick, milky, oily, smooth and rich finish.

O: Well done. The 3 bourbons meld well together with none dominating and each contributing to an overall lovely mix.

Jul 14, 2014
Huhzubendah from District of Columbia

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler sent to me by my awesome brother-in-law, who went to the release and hooked me up with two growlers of this coveted beer with next to no notice.

The beer appears dark brown with a thin, oily tan head that leaves a sheet of lacing cascading down the walls of the snifter. Aromas include oak, roast, chocolate, vanilla, a touch of coffee, and a prominent rye whiskey presence. The rye whiskey barrel character seems to dominate the Pappy Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace components just a bit. The beer is remarkably smooth and light on the palate. Light warming heat with a mild tannic note in the finish. Lingering rye bread and whiskey on the palate. Overall, this is really solid and I find it a bit of a departure from the typical barrel-aged stout.

Jun 11, 2014
xenjoiii from New York

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

Just happen to be in town for a wedding! On tap at the brewery - poured into a snifter at 30 degrees, and sat for a while until it came up considerably in temperature.

A: Pitch black with one finger of tan/khaki head.

S: Light aroma of mesquite smoke and jalapeño pepper, chocolate and bourbon.

T: Huge notes of chocolate up front; light spiciness from the jalapeño; and oak, vanilla and mild bourbon character. Near perfection.

M: Light carbonation and full bodied - right to style.

O: This unique take on an RIS easily stands among the best that I've had.

Jun 05, 2014
Crimtor from Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

I was lucky enough to enjoy a glass of this, this morning as I waited a couple of hours for the special release of growlers.

A- A deep rich black dark with a little cream look to the head, even in the light very little light refraction

S- A nice hearty malt with some light floral notes and to me what smelled like coffee, almost no alcohol detected by my nose but the whole place smelled of delicious hops so it was hard to tell.

T- After my first sip I was a little disappointed as I am a huge booze fan especially the buffalo trace. However it was a very enjoyable dark malty stout with a silky smooth taste with no bite. I got a light coffee after taste and well this has to be one of the most drinkable stouts I've had. (the chocolate milkshake stout would compare as a recent example) As the beer warmed I received more of the caramel and booze that I was expecting and it left a great taste in my mouth for hours afterwards.

M- Felt smooth and laced my tongue with basically perfect consistency. Loved how it could be swirled in the mouth and the remnants that stayed with me.

O- Definitely another great offering from AZW, I still prefer the BWBW (Buffalo Trace) however after that, it's a very close race between this and the Dos Cabezas (With me being a hop head, that surprizes me). You can still get some on tap for the next couple of days at least, so go enjoy and come rate so I can see where I sit compared to everyone else.

Jun 02, 2014
Barrel Aged American Presidential Stout from Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 95 out of 100 with 48 ratings