Dagger Falls IPA | Sockeye Grill & Brewery

Sockeye Grill & Brewery
Idaho, United States
sockeyebrew.com

Style: American IPA

This medal winning India Pale Ale is brewed in the true Northwest fashion. It has an intense hop flavor and aroma, with a dry bitter finish. It defintely has enough hops to “send you over the edge.”

Added by woodychandler on 02-11-2008

10%

4.77/5  rDev +22.3%

Haaahhhh-PY!! WOW! Bitter and hoppy. Thick. This brew will grab your attention quickly. The brew came in a chilled can, then poured into a tulip glass.

A: Deep golden, almost orange. A bit like a soft-amber ale.

S: The aroma was that ganja-y like smell you get from a huge, hops-forward IPA. Reminded me of my college roommate smoking a bowl. Delish.

T: Every last thing you expect from a big, hops forward IPA is found in Dagger. Very, VERY hoppy. Very, VERY bitter. Not as malty as some might like; which is to say that the malt does not balance the hops. But, I enjoy that. I want to taste 99% hops, 1% malt.

M: Thick! I prefer a lighter mouthfeel (think: Nooner from Sierra Nevada). Good carbonation.

O: Overall, Dagger Falls IPA gets a solid 4/5 stars. Fantastic IPA translation. It's a big, heavy, hoppy, smelly, wonderful IPA. Since I haven't heard much (in fact i've never heard of this brew at all) I am going to suggest that this is one of the most underrated beers out there. In the crowded field of West Coast IPA's this guy is in the shadow of more known/established IPA's and will need a good marketing campaign to get it's name out.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Sockeye Brewery while on vacation visiting buddies.

Deep golden hue.

Smell is of huge pine. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is nicely balanced. Not too thin, but not like syrup.

Bitter! Wowsers. Bitter on both sides of the tounge. Good Lord. Very hoppy, citrusy, and I detected a hint of grapefruit???

If you are a hop-forward loving fan, this is your brew. If you love malt, this is not your brew. If you like a well balanced brew...again, go home. This is for hop heads only. I did detect malt, but not enough to balance this brew.

Very nice stuff coming out of Idaho the past five-ten years. Dagger Falls IPA should put Idaho on the craft brew radar.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this on tap at a Red Lobster in Boise. The waiter told me my beer would be a few minutes. It turns out they were cracking open a new keg; so between that fact and that I was in the city where this beer is produced, I knew this would be fresh.

Look- Just like apple cider with a head. Cloudy, copper-brown. The head was 1/2 " high and white. There was thick lacing that clung to the glass in layers, so you could tell where each sip ended.

Smell- Citrus and pine. Very straightforward, with maybe just a bit of floral.

Taste- Much like the smell. Citrus and pine carried over well. Medium bitterness, very dry. Overall, I thought the taste was really good.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, smooth and creamy finish. The aftertaste persists leaving a bitterness on the sides and back of the tongue.

Overall- I was impressed with this particular IPA. As mentioned regarding the smell, it is a straightforward beer that should be received well by IPA -loving guests.
It paired very nicely with the battered shrimp that I had, as well as with the biscuits. I will definitely buy it again.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just now tried Dagger Falls by Sockeye. One thing I look for is a GOOD BITTER, at 100 IBU this one has it. Nice frothy head of a very light caramel color, fairly cloudy amber-orange body. Taste has a very nice edge to it with a smooth finish. I've recently moved to the area and I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to give this'un a try. This one goes on my list even though I prefer bottles.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep golden in color with a two finger head.

You know immediately you are drinking a major league IPA once you pop the top. The smell is of strong pine and citrus. Reminiscent of Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum. Wonderful.

This is one of the more bitter beers i've had. But, that's what IPA's are all about. Dagger Falls is bitter with not much of a malt profile to counter balance. The taste is in-your-face hops. The bitterness stays around after the swallow. Wow.

Being from California and within an easy driving distance to the Sierra Nevada and Russian River breweries I can say that I have had some of the finest IPA's on the west coast, if not the whole country. Dagger Falls is now included. While driving through Idaho I discovered DF IPA from Sockeye in a store. I'm so glad I did. I don't know why beers like Pliny get all the attention when there are IPA's like Dagger Falls. Amazing. Folks in Idaho have themselves one of the better IPA's out there.

Great job, Sockeye.

4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my go-to fridge stuffers.

Nice golden burnt orange color. Strong white head yields some of the best damn lacing I've seen. Amazing.

Smells great. Hops smack your nose with pine and bitter citrus. Just a touch of sweet maltiness.

The taste. Oh the taste.... Bitter. Pine and that lovely citrus pith. I love it.

Overall, I get caught up in trying to snag all the best IPAs that California, Oregon and Washington have to offer. All the while, I take Dagger Falls for granted. This is a freaking great IPA, and its brewed 2 minutes down the road. Sockeye has a winner here.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Beautiful copper-red beer under a sudsy head that dissipated slowly leaving a lace-etched pint glass. Smell was all citrus: grapefruit and lemon: both candied lemon peel and fresh fruit juice.

Taste is big: all citrus and pine from hops at the start, then astringent drying finishing in bitter, bone-dry, throat-parching that requires another sip. Repeat. Sigh.

Another layer, perhaps some biscuit malt, would be a nice addition, but thats not the point. That would be another beer.

Wow: it was great being in Boise for fall hops season: so many local pacific coast style hop bombs. This one was really the best I tried out of eight recent big IPAs, fresh-hopped one-offs, and just plan crazy experimental beers (like the wild yeast and Emmett hopped pale-green Salmon River Wet Hop Wild). Perhaps it was being at the brewery, or the weather, or the fact that Boise State was winning big, but it was the perfect beer for the moment.

4.31/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dagger Falls IPA is a total hop bomb with huge citrus notes

Poured into a goblet style glass

A: The appearance is a dirty cloudy orange, similar to a DIPA

S: Lots of pine

T: Tons of pine, hops and citrus. I was addicted after my first sip

M: Medium body with minimal carbonation

O: I was very pleased with this IPA. Now, how do I to get more?

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy amber color with a very impressive head; impressive retention that leaves a few shards of lacing behind

Smell: One of those IPAs you can smell down the road - floral and grapefruity, with a hint of pine

Taste: Assertively bitter, from the get-go, with grapefruit pith and pine developing mid-palate; the malt makes a vague appearance in the finish, bringing just a touch of biscuity sweetness for balancing effect

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A terrific West Coast IPA here - rather surprised it isn't in greater demand but that is the world of craft beer today where it is hard to break through the clutter without a gimmick

Thanks, JohnGalt1, for the opportunity