Cherry Chocolate Beer | O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery
Missouri, United States
ofallonbrewery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

Added by maxpower on 03-19-2004

3.89/5  rDev +22.3%

Currently drinking the O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate beer and have to say the name perfectly describes the overall feel of it.

The beer poured out a light brown color that wasn't quite see through, with little to no head.

When Smelling the beer you're presented with a strong douse of Cordial Cherry and some chocolate.

My initial taste was that of tasting Chocolate covered Cherries that lasted quite a long lasting with the after-taste.

Mouthfeel I'd say not as much. It's not overbearing and is flavorful

Being that I'm quite a fan of the candy, I found this beer to be quite good and enjoyable. I definately will buy this again at a later date.

2.6/5  rDev -18.2%

A dirty brown color body with little to no head or lacing, light carbonation . Aroma is of tootsie rools and articificial cherries , sweet with a hint of some kind of malt . Flavor is chocolaty with more of the odd cherry , I find this whole thing to be off and artificial , medium body with a light mouthfeel and an odd aftertaste , I would not call this sessionable or anything like due to the fact that this is just not for me , sorry just not my thing . Nice try though and somewhat interesting.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate Beer has a russet colored body with a small off-white head.

The best way to describe the aroma is to repeat a couple parts of the name "cherry chocolate." That is about all I pick up from this one.

For some reason when I bought this beer I had it in my head that it was some kind of cherry chocolate stout or porter. I have no idea what gave me that impression, but I had it. It was dead wrong. This thing tastes completely like cherries and chocolate, while the "beer" doesn't really enter into the equation. In fact, the best way to describe the flavor of this beer is simply to compare it to a cherry tootsie pop, because they are identical in flavor, this is simply the liquid form. I tried this with a buddy and he came to the same conclusion without me having mentioned it. This beer isn't bad by any means, it tastes good for those who love cherry tootsie pops or chocolate and cherries, but it doesn't have any beer characteristics whatsoever.

The mouthfeel has moderate carbonation but is rather thin; probably a touch too thin actually.

Drinkability here is ok; I didn't have a problem with this oen, but I don't really desire another one. Overall, if this beer had been a porter or stout like I thought it was, it would probably be pretty solid. However, as is it tastes completely like candy and nothing like beer, which is a negative for me.

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%

Cloudy brown body with virtually no head. Looks like muddy water. Aroma has cherry and chocolate notes. Flavor is slightly sour up front, then reveals a dry chocolate note followed by a lot of cherry flavor, although a bit artificial. The finish tastes almost like a cherry cordial, just not as sweet. The sweetness does build a bit on the finish. Carbonation is moderate, mouthfeel a bit thin. A slightly sweeter beer with more body would have complemented the flavors a bit more. Overall, an OK beer, but the interesting flavor combo makes it worth a try, even a second try.

3.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a pint glass. A 1.5 finger eggshell head appeared quickly and dissipated almost as fast leaving little to no lacing. Caramel colored body that is deeper in the middle and fades lighter around the edges.

Wow...the nose is chocolate covered cherries! It smells like I stuck my face in a freshly unwrapped box of the candy. Very powerful, so that is all I can pick up.

The taste is a little strange...The aroma is so dominant...it overpowers what flavors are on the tongue. Comes off a little like cough medicine. The only other flavor I can pick up is a little hint of malt in the background.

Medium-light mouth feel. Somewhat creamy with average carbonation.

This is simple...if you like chocolate covered cherries, you will like this beer. I think it is a little sweet for multi bottle consumption in one night.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: A cloudy medium brown dunkelwiess color with a bright white 1 finger head that dissipated quickly. I did not see any red or "cherry" color. Looks like a dark wheat beer as per the description on the package.

S: Exactly what the name says it will be...cherry chocolate. It smells just like the box of chocolate covered cherries that my mother in law buys every Christmas. Way fun for a beer but yet a little bizarre. But, hey, I like chocolate covered cherries and I can't help but just keep smelling this beer. My wife asked if I was going to drink it or just keep my nose in the glass.

T: If you like chocolate covered cherries and are in the mood for a beer that tastes like that then you will like this beer. If not, skip this because it is spot on for the name. There is just a hint of hops bit but it is subtle. There is also a tartness that somewhat offsets the extreme sweetness but I cannot tell if it is the hops or the wheat beer tang.

M: About like most wheat beers, a little thin for my liking but again OK for a wheat based beer. The carbonation is not too high like most wheat beers.

D: One of these is enough at a time. Definitely, a sweet desert kind of thing. I have friends who like amaretto mocha coffee after dinner but since I'm not a coffee drinker this could easily substitute for that in my book.

This beer created quit a buzz at the liquor store when I bought it. The gal behind me in the check out line wanted to know all about it. Her husband was buying a case of Bud Light. The check out girl said she has sold a lot if it this week but nobody has told her what it tasted like. BTW, I gave the woman behind me in line one of the bottles just because she was so curious about the beer. My Christmas present to a stranger! Can you pay it forward with a beer?

I think I'll buy another 6-er just to keep in the fridge for desert in the future. But hey I like to have sheet cake and that yellow fizzy beer together at wedding receptions. ;)

3.34/5  rDev +5%

Pours a cider like color with a very slight head. The aroma is of chocolate and cherries with a little sweetness to it. The taste is like chocolate covered cherries, it is very unique, its not refreshing but it is interesting and enjoyable. The mouthfeel is a little thin and with a slight carbonation. The drinkability is not that high, i can't see you sitting there and crushing a six pack of these, but you could have one or two for a dessert. Its a sweet tasting beer, with a unique take, it is for sure worth a try.

3.94/5  rDev +23.9%

Finally had a bottle of this because they stock it at my local beer store for 2.75 plus tax a bottle.

A - Creamy and dark. Coated the glass a bit.
S - Chocolate and then sweet cherry.
T - Pretty much what your looking at with the smell. It even has the cherry flavor down like a chocolate cherry. Very sweet
M - This is a bit lacking since it kind of has a malt liquor hit to it. I mean I love a good malty beer but I didn't expect such a "Colt 45" flavor with such a moderate ABV beer.
D - I had two in one sitting. Defiantly would catch up to you if you had more. Would try again if I could find it at a mix and match place but would not pay almost 3 dollars to try it again.

Overall a great beer that gives what it says a choco cherry flavor!

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a very dark golden brown. Lots of head formation, just a bit off white in color. Appears strongly carbonated. Lots of hazing.

S - This label is accurate. Starts off with a very straightforward chocolate note, then goes straight to the cherries. So, chocolate covered cherries - on the spot.

T - Starts off with a light malt sweetness, which is immediately overcome by a cherry note. Not a sweet beer, so the bitterness mid-stream doesn't take much to bring it into balance. Finishes with a smooth cherry finish - it finally overcomes the chocolate. A bit of phenolic tones in the aftertaste.

M - Moderate to light body. Carbonation is light. Beer body is pretty strong from the sugar backbone. No lingering sensations.

D - Moderate drinkability. I'd say this beer isn't filling, but these flavors are just not sessionable. Clearly an afterdinner beer for me. I wouldn't mind holding onto these as a nightcap.

As a homebrewer, I have to ask how the heck they were able to bring these flavors through so cleanly.

Bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ!

It pours a cloudy colour of rust with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some nice lacing in my NB Goblet.

The smell..ha! Cherry & Chocolate. Milk chocolate notes go hand in hand with a great wild cherry sweetness, maybe a slight tart note but not much.

The taste matches the nose and my palate likes it. Simple, but satisfying. A great candidate for a dessert beer as both flavours work very well together.

It's medium bodied with a lowish level of carbonation.

Drinkability? It sure is easy enough for *me* to drink and tastewise, quite enjoyable. It's like a chocolate coated cherry bon bon only in liquid form. Yum.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Pretty reddish brown, like a cherry was dropped in a brown ale and the cherry's red color melted into the brown.

Smell: Cherries and chocolate, exactly as advertised. Very sweet smelling.

Taste: Almost exactly in line with the beer's aroma. Undeniable chocolate cherry flavors dominate. The review below is spot on with the cherry tootsie pop description. No malt, hops, or bitterness to be found.

Mouthfeel: Rather thin, yet syrupy at the same time, and not in a good way.

Drinkability: The sweetness might becoming cloying if one had more than one of these.

Notes: This beer absolutely accomplishes what it sets out to. It's quite one dimensional, but I dig that dimension, so I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. If you're not specifically looking for the chocolate cherry flavor, then stay away. But if you want a bottle's worth of a sweet dessert type beer then I would certainly recommend this.

4.01/5  rDev +26.1%

pours muddy light brown with very little head and no lacing

smell is spot on for a chocolate covered cherry

taste is a bit thin/watery but to me it tastes just like a cherry tootsie pop

mouthfeel is light well carbonated - just a bit thin

drinkability is good - this beer is 10x better then that cherry wheat crap SA puts out - they could learn some things from this beer

3.99/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small snifter. Thin, moderate disappearing head light and frothy. Smell of sweet and dark chocolate. Murky, sort of a watery mouthfeel. It gives the appearance of a cola that the ice has melted in. All and all I think this is a nice dessert, a liquid chocolate cherry for drinking enjoyment.

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

Murphy brown with a thin, dirty white head. Decent head retention. It's a shame it looks like muddy water.

Smells like a Russell Stover's chocolate covered
cherry. So, pretty good if you like that kind of thing.

Tastes like the center of a tootsie pop. 1...2...3... There are some caramel and rocky road flavors in there as it warms.

I thought this was pretty tasty. More of a Valentine's beer than a winter seasonal.

3.59/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Hazy, dirty brown color. Pours with 2+ fingers of tan head, that fades slowly to a thin cap.

S- Sweet maraschino cherries and a hint of milk chocolate. Pretty much as expected, and actually, pretty good.

T- Maraschino cherry flavor, only lacking the extreme sweetness associated with them. Light chocolate notes tinged with a bit of a grainy flavor. No real bitterness. More or less delivers the intended flavors.

M- Moderate carbonation. Medium / light feel, and slightly syrupy.

D- Very easy drinking desert beer....light, and pleasant tasting without being overbearing or cloying...could probably enjoy a few at a time if I were so inclined.

Future outlook: Purchased on a whim while at a small grocery store...pretty decent, and probably even a bit better than I thought it might be. Definitely a decent novelty pick up (which so often seem to end up terribly for me), but no burning need to revisit.

4.19/5  rDev +31.8%

A: A deep garnet color with a little bit of head. A lot of cabonation though.
S: Chocolate covered cherries come to mind right away. A little bit of booze to go along with it, but tons of cherries and chocolate.
T: A chocolate covered cherry again, surprise! Very tasty and not overdone. A bit of alcohol accompanies the cherry and chocolate and balances perfectly.
M: Decently carbonated and has a little bite.
D: Goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. Clean finish.

I was very surprised by this beer and shocked to see a lot of the low reviews. I will be purchasing this again.

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%

I drank from a 12 oz bottle in chalice.

I didn't have high expecations for this beer but was pleastantly suprised.

It has a red brown color but no real head that was white. No lacing.

It smells strongly of cherries and tastes just like a chocolate covered cherry. I very decent beer.

2.37/5  rDev -25.5%

Picked up an O'Fallon sampler while in St. Louis.

Loud, fizzing tan head that exhausts itself and dissappears. Murky, translucent brown color. This beer looks flat and ugly. Sorry fella.

Smells good. Chocolate covered cherry candies and hints of blended whiskey. Good stuff.

Tastes like diet cherry cola with an ensuing butt-tastic Anbesol/anteseptic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and snappy. Ick.

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a murky brown color with a red hue in the middle. Barely carbonated.
Our smell here is weakly of fruit, with some light malt and chocolate.
The taste has weak notes of cherry and chocolate.
The aftertaste is barely there, and there chocolate flavor has almost turned bitter in my mouth.
Drinkable, but not good.

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - pours a caramel, iced tea color. A thin cap of eggshell foam ends at a partial covering where it holds pretty well.

Aroma - smells like a Tootsie roll with a side of cherry, like cherry cough syrup. As billed, and pretty good, but not great or beery in the least.

Taste - a light toasted grain presence, tastes a bit diluted. The chocolate comes across partially nice, partially like artificial flavor. The cherry provides some needed lightness and fruitiness, but the beer has a candy non-beer feel to it.

Mouthfeel - nice body, pretty crisp.

Drinkability - I like sweet stuff in general, but this didn't have enough beer presence for me.

3.16/5  rDev -0.6%

Presentation: 12oz pop top brown bottle, typical O'Fallon style label

Appearance: Very pretty dark amber beer with garnet highlights, capped with a dense dark ivory cap which fades to a thick film and leaves a nice bit of lacing.

Smell: Well...it smells like a chocolate-covered cherry; seriously; that being the case though, at Christmastime chocolate covered cherries never smell quite natural; they've always got that kind of overly sweet processed chocolate and sweet sugary cherry thing going on...this beer has the same; it's dead-on for the aroma it's going for, but does this belong in a beer?

Taste: Chocolate-covered cherries...again, seriously. It's pretty much dead-on. There is a little bit of toasted/roasted malt in the background and on the finish, as well as just a hint of alcoholic presence, and a ghost of hop bitterness on the finish, but that's it. The one thing that's a little bit nicer than the aroma is that the cherry flavor has a bit of tartness to it; it's not all candy sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied

Drinkability: Medium; one or two of these, max

Conclusion: This beer just confuses me; I want to like it, I want to hate it; I can't really do either. It does a fantastic job tasting like the candy it's trying to taste like; O'Fallon should get major kudos for that; that being said, do we really need a beer that tastes like candy? Overall, if the concept sounds intriguing to you, definitely give this a go, you probably will like it; me...I'm still kind of unsure how I feel about it.

Note: After sipping slowly on the rest of the glass, I think I'd cautiously recommend this as a holiday "after dinner" or possibly with dark chocolate dessert beer; it's damn strange, but kind of alluring in an odd sort of way. Still, pick up a couple in a mix-a-six if you can or share it w/family and friends; 6 might be overkill.

2.4/5  rDev -24.5%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Pours a copperish color with a slight ruby tint. Two-finger head of loose white foam. Retention is okay and lacing is minimal.

This does have a mild smell of chocolate covered cherries. This is mixed with a pretty boozy smell, which is unexpected at less than 6%ABV.

It does have a taste of chocolate covered cherries. Unfortunately it is a very artificial taste. Not even a good amount of sweetness, which might be beneficial to it.

Way over carbonated, IMO. The carbonation disrupts the flavor, by being too sharp and 'in your face'. Almost has a 'flavored soda water' vibe going on.

Glad to have tried this, but don't think I'd search it out again. Unless I hear that they've changed the recipe.

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

12 oz. bottle tried 21 Mar 2009.

Poured in a Sierra Nevada pint. Medium sized head, off white. Medium carbonation. Slight haze, reddish brown. Smells almost like chocolate cake with cherry overtones, sweet. Starts lightly chocolatey, the cherry flavor is upfront. Cherry seems kind of one dimensional. Tart finish. Medium body. Minimal alcohol presence.

I normally like cherries and chocolate in beer but this didn't really do it for me.

3.32/5  rDev +4.4%

I have to say that I found this one surprising. Surprising because I liked it. I am not into fruity or sweet beers and O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate Ale is not overly sweet. It pours a bit cloudy with a slight head. I found it tasted a bit like a chocolate covered cherry but not as sweet. More like a bakers chocolate than a milk chocolate flavor. You wouldn't want to sit down a drink several of these but you might want to have one after dinner. If you see it, I say pick it up, especially if you are at a place where you can make your own six pack. Grab 2. That's all you will need. 5.7% ABV.

1.92/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a dark copper color with very little head.

Scent of artificial cherries and weak chocolate. A crappy, unpleasant scent.

Taste of plastic, artificial cherries and chocolate. One of the worst craft beers I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with some carbonation.

It's pretty hard to drink this due to the terrible flavor.

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery