Cherry Chocolate

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Cherry ChocolateCherry Chocolate
Notes: A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

Reviews: 193 | Ratings: 319

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark amber in color with little head

Smell: Very fruity with not much more.

Taste: Initially there is a chocolate taste, but it almost has an old chocolate taste. Then it is followed up with the cherry taste which is pretty good but the chocolate taste still remains.

Note: It almost has a chocolate covered cherry flavor but it misses the mark because the chocolate part doesn't quite taste right. It is alright but definitely not what I would look for when getting a beer.

4.04/5  rDev +26.3%

Pours a clear amber color with a very minimal head.

The smell... strong sweet cherries and yes, sweet chocolate! A little of the malt smell comes through as well.

The taste follows the nose.... like a cordial cherry. Not as sweet as the nose hints at, very smooth on the palate....The finish is all chocolate and malt.

I enjoyed this beer... it is a different treat that delivers what the label states. I always like to get some of this beer when available just because it is an easy drinking and unique beer in my opinion. Some will hate it.. others love it.

Keep drinking great beer ... cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Two year old bottle. Hope it holds up.

Pours a brilliant deep amber with ruby highlights and a foamy quarter inch khaki head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

As soon as the bottle was open, floods of crappy chocolate and fake cherries burst forth. Took me a minute to recognize the aroma. Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries. The cheap kind...that you buy at the dollar store. Booze and deeper tart cherry subtleties emerge when quaffed. Smells sickeningly sweet.

Flavor reveals sharper cherry, almost sherry-like flavoring notes along with a bit of plastic, accompanied by chocolatey malted milk balls, finishing with a touch of dry roast malt. Fairly malty, and not nearly as sweet as the aroma.

Body is a touch watery, with carbonation on the low side, and light alcohol warmth.

Really wish the flavor matched the aroma more closely, sweet ala southern tier backwater series. I have to admit it's a guilty pleasure beer for me. But I actually add sweetener to it. Don't hate! Rating is based on personal opinion...minus the sweetener.

3.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with light-colored head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Aroma smells just like a chocolate-covered cherry.

Taste: It also tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry. This is a sweet-tasting beer, if that’s your thing you’ll find it quite tasty. If it’s not your thing, you might not like it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy on the carbonation, not incredibly smooth but still drinkable.

Overall: This is only the second beer from O’Fallon’s that I’ve come across (the first I ever tried was “Wheach,” their peach wheat beer) and I continue to keep a look out for their brews. I found the Cherry Chocolate quite tasty and great to sip on during the cold winter months. I don’t think it’s for everyone as it’s very sweet. But if you like the taste of cherries and chocolate you’ll probably find it very agreeable.

1.8/5  rDev -43.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Amber with a three finger fizzy cream colored head that lasts for two minutes and has some streaky lacing. Watery thin body and fizzy distracting carbonation levels.

It's been said before and I have to agree with the consensus: It smells and tastes like an artificially-flavored cherry tootsie roll candy. It's rather terrible overall and I couldn't recommend trying it. The presence of artificial flavoring is seldom as obvious as it is within this particular beer. I'm not even quite sure if it counts as beer. Stay away from this one.

2.23/5  rDev -30.3%

A- Tiny head that dissipated quickly, no real lacing. Poured a dark amber that could be seen through.
S- a mix of Bailey's or Kahlua mixed with a Tootsie roll. A lot like a red Tootsie Roll pop, actually.
T- Tastes just like it smells. Tastes like your drinking an alcoholic, red Tootsie Roll Pop. Finishes like a thin Bailey's.
MF- Pretty standard, but a little thicker than I was expecting.

Overall, I'm not a very big fan of this beer, nor will I seek it out again. The first taste was very off-putting, but it got a little better within the first few sips. However, by the end of it I was ready to be through. I would try another cherry chocolate beer, but the flavors in this one were just too artificial and candy-like for me.

3.44/5  rDev +7.5%

A: No head, no real lace, more dark brown but see through. No bubbles.
S: As advertised. Wow. Never smelled anything like this in a beer. It smells like a broken open cherry cordial. Cherry syrup and chocolate. Hits it 100%. Hope this tastes as faithful.
M: No bitter, not very sweet. Watery on the wine side.
T: Not as sweet as a cherry cordial but still on the sweet side with chocolate malt coming at the back. It has more of a brown beer profile with a cherry bitter finish. A little bubble gum as well.

O: Tasty, but odd. It lives up to it's name, but I don't know if I'd get it again.

2.48/5  rDev -22.5%

A - dirty, medium brown with some sediment clouding; very thin off-white head that faded very quickly; not much lacing

S - over-ripe red marischino cherries, cocoa powder -> kinda like an old, worn out car freshener type aroma

T - first thing is a watery base with mild cherry flavors; lots of cocoa powder toward the middle and finish

M - thin body; light-moderate carbonation; mild aftertaste of cocoa powder

O - not super appealing in any one area. also not a drainpour. i was not a huge fan of the chocolate. it was mild and powdery, but there was a good deal of it! would recommend only to huge chocolate fans and tickers.

2.23/5  rDev -30.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Medium transparent brown with a thin head that is gone in a flash.
S: Smells like a cherry cordial candy, but in the same fake way. Waxy chocolate and syrupy maraschino cherries.
T: About like it smells. Cherry cordial with the chocolate and cherry both being somewhat fake.
M: Thin but smooth. Not bad but nothing special.
O: I can't say I'm a fan of this. It's okay for what it is, but so many beers have a more authentic chocolate flavor, and the cherry is clearly artificial flavoring and doesn't mesh well. Took a few sips for the review and the rest went down the drain.

2.28/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from brown 12oz bottle to pint glass. No freshness date or bottling date.

A - The beer pours a slightly hazy brown red color. The head is a light tan color. 1/2 finger head with virtually no retention or lacing. Quickly settles to a slight film.

S - The aroma is that of a chocolate and cherry extract flavor you'd expect from baking not from beer. Doesn't seem real.

T/M - Same as the nose. Rather underwhelming. The cherry and chocolate taste is there and its strong. Dominates the palate throughout. The beer is light bodied and very crisp. I don't it's balanced at all. Watery.

D - Not at all.

Overall, this seems like a gimic and it does not work.

Reviewed on: 03-14-2011 01:23:32

2.78/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a dark brown color with a centimeter thick, off-white head that dissipates instantly.

Smell - Has a strong chocolate scent, more like dark chocolate. The cherry is present as well but almost has a cough medicine type smell to it.. The alcohol smells strong as well.

Taste - The chocolate flavoring tastes exactly like a tootsie roll.. along with a very sweet, cherry flavor. A little malty but the other flavors overpower anything else..

Mouthfeel - Light-medium body with light carbonation.

Overall - This was an interesting beer to try but I'm dumping the rest out after I finish this review. Maybe it would taste better if paired with something.

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

P- Thanks to Ray for this brew

A- a red and amber color that is clear. Minimal head and minimal carbonation.

S- smells is sweet milk chocolate. alcohol/grain is also present right behind the chocolate. Smells like a chocolate covered cherry.

T- it tastes like one as well and mixing that with alcohol isnt the greatest but it is interesting. Think of dropping a chocolate cover cherry into grain alcohol and letting it dissipate.

M- cherry chocolaty, not bad. light bodied and somewhat creamy.

O- after getting through the first couple gulps it isnt bad. it starts to feel like you are sucking on a chocolate cherry.

1.84/5  rDev -42.5%

A: Pours light brownish-red with a small head and only a bit of lacing.

S: Chocolate is extremely apparent with a faint hint of cherry; alcohol is overbearing and lends a strong medicinal scent.

T: True to smell -- artificial chocolate flavoring mixed with cherry cough syrup. The alcohol takes over after the first moment and is simply overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not very good -- the mix of flavors here is enough to invoke a bit of nausea. I couldn't finish one, so multiple are out of the question. It might be one to pour into 4-5 glasses and let everybody taste, but not much more.

3.41/5  rDev +6.6%

Random pick at Beer Crazy.

Pours a cloudy tan color with very little foam. The aroma is full of chocolate and a hint of cherry, no room for anything else. The taste is a let-down. There is a hint of cherry, some light malt, and that's about it. There's a slight dryness, and the body seems thin. There isn't much to this one. If it followed up with the aroma this would be an awesome beer, but alas, tis not.

2.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: More cherry in color than chocolate. It pours an amber hue with a gray/brown fizzy head.

S: Smells exactly like a cherry tootsie roll...

T/M: ...Tastes a lot like one, too, just a little lighter with a watery finish.

I imagine this is an example of beer brewed with flavor extracts. It's more of a novelty beer like Banana Bread or something. I don't know, it's still kind of interesting.

TheBeerAlmanac.com

Poured this Fruit Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It poured a cloudy reddish amber color, produced a nice beigh head, good retention, and it left some lacing on the glass. The aroma was very nice, strong smell of chocolate and a nice dose of cherry.The taste of this ale was medium in body, had a nice base of chocolate, and a distinct cherry flavor. It tasted somewhere between a tootsie roll and a chocolate covered cherry. This was a decent unique beer, I have not had one like this- Great session beer, if your looking for something outside of the box and unique- check out this brew, Prost!

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug.

It's a clear, bronze color. Head dispersed quickly leaving a ring of foam and little to no lacing.

It smells just like chocolate cherry cordials.

It tastes like cherry chocolate cordials. There;s a bit of malt in the back. Little hops can be found at all.

It's a tad thinner than medium bodied and it's got a pretty crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is an interesting dessert beer. I like it better than chocolate cherry cordials because those have that awful, goey center. But I guess I don't really care for the flavor of them either.

2.13/5  rDev -33.4%

A-Pours a light chocolate color with a finger of white head.

S-Smells of huge notes of Luden's cough drops and Tootsie Rolls.

T-Sweet cherry and light notes of tootsie roll followed by maybe the slightest hint of bitterness.

M-Light bodied with a prickly, light carbonation.

D-Drinkability is pretty low for me; the elements of this beer that stand out are flavorings used with a weak base beer.

3.29/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from bottle to an imperial pint. Not sure, but I believe there is a julian date stamp that would indicate bottling on 10/28/2011. Website indicates that this beer has a dark wheat ale as its base.

A: Thin tan head. Chestnut in color with a little bit of particulate.

S: A great nose for a fruit beer. Smells like a cordial cherry or a cherry mash, if you're from my part of the country and know what that is. Maraschino cherry, milk chocolate, and a hint of nuttiness.

T: Wheat, tart bing cherry, milk chocolate, malt. No hops to speak of. Tastes artificial, consistent with the candy nose.

M: A bit thin-bodied and watery with a tart bite. A bit more dextrous than many wheats, but still feels watered down.

O: Not a big fan of beers with fruit extracts added, but O'Fallon takes a novelty approach here and pulls it off fine. If you want a pint of chocolate cherry candy flavored beer, this is the one for you.

2.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a see-through brownish ruby red. The head goes away eventually, but a thin film of light cream colored bubbles sits there for a while. No lacing. This beer smells like cherry cordials. It also smells a bit boozy and alcoholic. The beer tastes very medicinal. Again, the booze appears, even at only 5.7%. Whoever said it tastes like a cherry tootsie roll is right, and once you get that thought in your mind, you are doomed. I suppose cherry cordial is much more elegant, but still ... The mouthfeel is light and watery. Overall, I've had 7.5% ABV beers that taste and smell less alcoholic than this one. It has a pungent sting to the smell and flavor that I do not like. It's a neat dessert beer, if you have ONE, once ... but otherwise, don't go for the sixer.

3.08/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up a bottle of O'Fallon's Cherry Chocolate Beer a few days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time I have seen this beer and I have never heard of O'Fallon Brewery before, so I thought I would take a chance on them and give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is a plain and a little tacky, looks more like a cherry soda pop then it looks like a beer. It poured a caramel like copper color that was somewhat muddy looking. with only a half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring. Not a good looking beer, that's for sure.

S- Wow this thing smells exactly like a cherry tootsie pop, I can't believe how similar this smells to the sucker, I haven't encountered something like this before. It starts off with a chocolaty aroma that is very similar to a tootsie roll and smells like it has a high amount of sweetness. Next comes the cherrys that smell more like cherry syrup then fresh cherrys, there's also a little bit of booze in there too. A pretty odd smelling beer that smells just like a cherry tootsie pop.

T- The taste is pretty damn similar to the aroma. It starts of with the malts which have a medium amount of sweetness to them and impart a caramel and dark chocolate flavor that is quickly followed by some cherry syrup, then some more chocolate. The chocolate is the most dominating flavor but the cherry still does a pretty good job of showing up. The finish is smooth with an aftertaste of chocolate and malts. Its a little watery, it needs some more richness to it.

M- Slightly smooth, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a low amount of carbonation. It needs to be thicker so it doesn't feel so watery and the carbonation needs to be bumped up a couple notches.

Overall I thought this was an OK beer, I couldn't see drinking this beer on a regular basis, but to me it makes for a good once in a while desert beer. I was really surprised how much it smelled and tasted like a cherry tootsie pop, it really blew my mind how close the two are, seems like this should have a Short's label on it or something. It went down somewhat smooth so the drinkability was OK, but I think one of these would be enough for me. What I like most about this beer was the aroma, it was exactly like a cherry tootsie pop and that happens to be my favorite flavor of tootsie pop so I enjoyed it. What I liked least about this beer was it's look and the mouthfeel, with a muddy appearance and hardly any head it didn't look too appealing in my pint glass, and the mouthfeel was too thin and under carbonated. I think I will buy this beer every once in a while but it for sure won't be a regular pick up for me. If you like experimental and food like beers this is worth a try but if you are expecting a chocolaty stout with cherry's you are going to be disappointed. I didn't know what to expect from this beer and in the end I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. This was an OK first impression for O'Fallon, this beer doesn't inspire me to go out and try all the O'Fallon beers I can find but if I see some of their beers around and they look interesting I will give them a shot. For now I deem this beer a liquid cheery tootsie pop.

1.93/5  rDev -39.7%

Bought this because my daughter liked the label. Here we go...

A: opaque, reddish brown. (Want to say chocolate brown, but that might be the label talking to me.) Weak head, little retention or lacing.

S: like a chocolate-covered cherry, which in itself is nice, but it scares me to think about how it tastes. The really unpleasant part of the smell is the alcohol fumes that mix in with the candy smell.

T: not good. Actually tastes okay up front, dry with a bit of hop bitterness. But then the flavoring kicks in. I can't figure out what this beer needs to make the cherry notes work, but it's not there. Leaves sort of a waxy aftertaste, too.

M: the alcohol fumes I notice in the nose figure in an unpleasant, medicinal way here. For all the sweetness, my mouth feels the way it does after I use mouthwash.

I just don't have a lot of nice things to say about this beer. I'm trying to think of it in the context of the style, but regardless of whether or not the concept's flawed, the execution definitely is. Glad this is a single bottle from a mix-a-six.

3.69/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance- The body is honey-brown with golden highlights. There are a few streams of carbonation seen in the body. Can't really see through this one, but it is not opaque. The head barely got to a finger width before dying and only leaves a slight ring of off-white, brown tinged foam around the edge of the glass.

Smell- Wow, that is exactly what chocolate covered cherries smell like when you have bit into that sugary center. A big milk chocolate note, some sweet toffee, and cherry rounding it out.

Taste- The nose does not transfer as well to the palate, bummer. There is a little hint of chocolate in the beginning, taken over by the cherry syrup and some grainy malt. The finish is long on the slight chocolate and a biscuity malt flavor.

Mouth feel- Definitely too thin for what smells like a very decadent beer. The carbonation is not handled very well. It is really close to lifting up the beer and making it creamy, but as it is, just a tad watery and thin.

Overall- This beer was enjoyable if only for the nose that did a wonderful job of portraying chocolate cherry. Once it hit the palate though, it starts to lose you. The flavors are not big enough and slightly unbalanced, and the mouth feel does not come close to doing this beer justice.

3.99/5  rDev +24.7%

A. Pours out a brown hue with some reddish highlights. Has a thick off white head that quickly disappears with no lacing or retention.
S. The smell reminds me of chocolate covered cherries such as turtles and tootsie rolls.
T. The taste starts out with some caramel and roasted chocolate followed by some cherry in the back with more chocolate. Reminds me of drinking a liquid candy bar.
M. The mouthfeel is a light body that has a thin watery feel that just doesn't do much.
O. Overall, this is a good tasting beer that I could enjoy sometimes. I just wish it had more body to it.

3.21/5  rDev +0.3%

Weird mix on my reviews. I wanted to grade this beer for its intentions and I think other reviews were unfair.

The apprearance is a brown with a thin tan head that fades fast but leaves ok lace.

The aroma is amazing. It smells like the cordials my grandfather gave my grandmother for Valentines. It smells exactly like they intended. Milk chocolate and marchino cherries. A slight vanilla hint.

The taste is totally disappointing. Hints of chocoalate are nice in an overall average amber beer taste with cherry extract. Nothing complicated and very imitation tasting.

The mouthfeel is average. Not watery, but thin enough.

Overall, I won't buy again.

Cherry Chocolate from O'Fallon Brewery