Cherry Chocolate

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Cherry ChocolateCherry Chocolate
Notes: A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

Reviews: 193 | Ratings: 319
1.93/5  rDev -39.7%

With a little message "will this beer live up to your expectations?" I eagerly uncap and pour this beer into my 10 ounce pint glass. Its the perfect match-up while viewing the end of the MLG finals.

Great head formation, TONS of lilypad formations of carbonation seen from above, and a thick white collar. The retention of the head is minor, unfortunately. It laces appreciably, but nothing spectacular. Cold honey colored body makes me wonder about this beer.

Oh, what is that aroma? It is so familiar. I am trying ever so hard to pinpoint it. It is so familiar. I know this flavor. Its so familiar... Its bright butterscotch and caramel with some similarities to fruity pebbles. Relatively clean and singular. Monochromatic with the butterscotch sweetness being almost over attenuated. It also smells insanely similar to a Diet Chocolate Soda my grandma absolutely killed for. What the hell was that name... Google revealed it to be Canfield's. Shit was absolutely TERRIBAD.

Do not like. Nope. Definitely not. Opens up sweet, strong sweetness. Juice level of sucrose here. It starts out sharp sweetness that reminds me of a simple syrup with tartness. It becomes tangible and identifiable as a butterscotch and caramel flavor erupts and... cocoa? Is that really... no... it... It is! Aspartame mingled in a cocoa flavoring. I swear if you poured canfield's into a bottle and resealed it... It peaks quite fast and dissipates before I have ease of interpretation. It takes many sips to understand just what this beer resembles. Finish is clean for the most part with a cellulosic nature. Very simple, but not what I would call tasty. For all of its identifying flavors, they aren't the gourmet or desirable types.

Take your favorite memory of sucking on a hard butterscotch candy given to you by your ever-generous great aunt after she slaved away making these amazing little confections. Then imagine she sold the recipe in the best interests of sharing her love with the world to a blood-sucking, heartless conglomerate who turned it into a mass-produced generic lump of terror that children can buy for a few nickels. That end-product resembles what I imagine the bland interpretation of these classic flavors to be. Flea market brand butterscotch candy dipped in expired cocoa powder packet from a mystery box.

Thin, watery, and disjointed. Nothing mingles, just stages that are clearly defined from one another by slaps to my tongue. Lacks the power to linger on my palate, but leaves me feeling like a piece of hair floated and stuck to my lips. Annoying, in short.

I do not like this beer. I imagine this as being a kill shot, I really really think it is. I think of this as just an ale brewed with maybe honey or butterscotch drizzle? Whatever it is, I would not like to try this again if possible.

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate beer. Natural flavors my ass! This tastes absolutely horrendous. I think I may appreciate Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda a bit more than this beverage. I understand the sharp sweetness at first to be the cherry, and the more I realize it the more I understand this definitely tastes like aspartame, cheap cocoa, and cheap beer all in one glass.

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

A- poured into a pint glass with a brief off-white head that quickly diseased. Body color was and Orange-brown amber.

S- basically chocolate and cherries. Milk chocolate, and cherry cough syrup aroma. Almost no other aroma is discernible.

T- tastes just like it smells like a combo of cherry cordial with a cherry cough syrup center.

M- the flavor hits, but is very watered down besides the artificial favoring. After a minute you can barely tell it was ever there.

D- overall this came of as a theme beer that hits you hard with artificial flavor, but almost no other beer flavor.

2.69/5  rDev -15.9%

12oz into taster.
A: A semi clear body, that has a light brown color to it. The light tan head pours with a rise, than settles to a thin layer. Lacing is minimal, but still present.
S: The aroma is on the lighter side, but does show notes of chocolate and cherry extract. A bit of a off putting aroma.
T/M: A light body and a clean and crisp mouthfeel, all the flavors really are shown, but does not seem to work well together with the other aspects of the brew. To light on the body and a bit of a watery finish.
D: Not something that I would drink again, but still interesting brew. I feel that if the base beer would have been a heavier style, the chocolate and cherry flavors would have worked better.

3.05/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber with a medium creamy white head that retains well.

The aroma is sweet dark fudgy chocolate and cherries.

The flavor is sweet cherries and fudgy chocolate. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's basically chocolate covered cherries masquerading as beer. It's a bit on the sweet and decadent side for me to drink a lot of.

2.72/5  rDev -15%

A: Hazy redish, brown with a 1.5 inch thick and steady head; lacing is decent

S: Sickly sweet cherry and chocolate--hard to get anything else; like chocolate covered cherry candies dumped in the beer; some alcohol presence and maybe some malt characteristics but way too much sweet, sweet, cherry candy

T: Tastes like chocolate covered cherries; some subtle roasted malts; not as sweet as aromas indicated but fairly simple beyond the obvious two flavors

F: Fairly creamy although the beer dissipates off the back of the tongue somewhat unpleasantly

D: Well...it's interesting but way too one dimensional for me; I've had enough

2.73/5  rDev -14.7%

pours a beer bottle brown with a small tanish head that leaves a little lacing.

smells faint of some fresh chocolate with a hint of cherry and caramel. almost like a candy.

taste is better than expected you definitly taste the cherry with some chocolate moderate carbonation.

mouuthfeel doesnt remind me of a "beer" but more like candy with some beer in it but isnt horrible.

this beer is not all that drinkable because of the candy kick to it but i did finish it so it isnt all that bad just not my cup of beer.... i mean tea ha ha

3.61/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle with Julian date inkjetted on the neck.

Pours a slightly translucent, dark-tea brown. A surprisingly whitish/pinkish head disappears quickly, and there is NO carbonation to seek of. In a nutshell, the look is no-so-good. Smell reminds me of nothing else but a chocolate-covered cherry. Amazing accuracy there. Taste starts off chocolatey and delves into some bitterness and a few hops until resolving itself with the sweet twang of cherries. Mouthfeel is flat, but too much carbonation would border on flavored seltzer water, I believe. While it's pleasing to drink a bottle, this is *not* a session beer! Yet in the end, this is a well-crafted beer that is exactly what it states on the label. If you like chocolate-covered cherries, this one is a no-brainer.

4.56/5  rDev +42.5%

Serving: Poured into a pint glass while watching the Bears lose to the Packers. Needed something sweet to take the sour taste away! Served refrigerator cold.

Appearance: A hazy caramel brown. This is described as a "dark wheat beer" by the brewer so the look is as expected. An aggressive pour yielded a nice 2 finger head of off-white creamy foam that quickly backs off. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Un-stinking-believable! This stuff nails it perfectly. Very strong. The smell is exactly what it should be...chocolate covered cherry candy. No hop scent present.

Taste: I could not wait to taste this after the smell. The flavor does not disappoint. This tastes exactly as advertised...chocolate covered cherry!! Nothing complex here. No hops...very moderate sweetness from the malt. The rest is candy. The cherry is not overly powerful and sour as with many cherry beers. This is good! The chocolate is not Swiss gourmet chocolate. It is a generic chocolate covered candy type chocolate. In fact...it reminds me a bit of the flavor in the old Canfield's Chocolate soda for those that remember it. Another way to describe it might be like a cherry-chocolate phosphate with body. Anybody that has ever had a phosphate will know what I am talking about here. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy & smooth. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability: This is a delicious drink that goes down easy! With an ABV of 5.7%....it goes unnoticed. I downed this very quickly with some double chocolate chip cookies.

Overall: I'll start by saying that I am not a big fruit beer fan. That said; this beer hits a home run with me. Not because it is a world-class beer....but because it is a highly enjoyable beverage. Also...because it is exactly what it sets out to be. A beer that nails its flavor spot on. Many may not like this brew, but "it is what it is"...and does it perfectly. A great job of brewing for a flavor profile IMHO. A great dessert beer that would pair well with any sweet chocolate cake, pastry, or cookies. I found this so intriguing that I went out and picked up another 6-pack of this seasonal for $10.99. Well done, O'Fallon!! I recommend this if you are looking for something different. Not much beer flavor but certainly nothing objectionable. Dessert fun in a bottle! Anyone that remembers the days of chocolate phosphates will love this beer. I would keep this in my fridge year-around if it were available.

2.17/5  rDev -32.2%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a murky brown; it almost looks like it was brewed with unfiltered Mississippi River water. Two fingers of off-white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There was some yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so I guess this truly is a type of wheat beer.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries. Definitely. The cherry, though, smells more like the processed syrup used at ice cream shops. Very sweet and enticing, and there is also a hint of vanilla.

Taste: Okay... That's interesting. The dominant flavor is the chocolate covered cherries from the smell, but the taste is not as potent as the aroma; it is masked by an unpleasant element, which reminds me of cream soda or another kind of carbonated beverage. I love cream soda, but not in beer. Very watered down and thin.

Drinkability: Perhaps this is a bad bottle, but this stuff is just not good. It smells great, but the taste is something else. I'll give them props for the effort, though. I am thankful I did not get a sixer. One bottle is enough.

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a couple bottles of this one for my wife on Christmas eve, and split one with her later that night. Poured a deep, dark red amber with a medium off-white head. Aroma here is all cherries and chocolate, very sweet and syrupy. On the palate, somewhat cloying, medium bodied, again, all cherries and chocolate, remeniscent of a sickly sweet chocolate covered cherry candy. Not bad, but a few ounces goes a long way here.

3.47/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy burnt orange color with a small head and nominal lacing.

S: Dominate aroma of cherries and chocolate. Reminds me of chocolate covered cherries candy.

T: Taste is of chocolate covered cherries. Not overly sweet, nice dry finish and no aftertaste. Much better than I expected.

F: medium body, quite well balanced, smooth & creamy.

D: Easy drinker, but only for one or two. Ideal for a holiday or seasonal novelty drink. I went into this expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised.

3.22/5  rDev +0.6%

This was an interesting beer. I don't have much to add that hasn't been stated in the other reviews.

I was expecting a much thicker beer, more akin to a cherry stout or porter, but the beer pours fairly light (coppery) and the mouthfeel is very thin.

The smell is 100% cordial cherry. Smells fairly artificial, which I think it is. Extract flavoring as opposed to using real fruit. Taste is fairly similar.

Not bad, but not great, and I probably wouldn't seek this one out again.

3.99/5  rDev +24.7%

Served in a wine glass.

Ooh, this one comes with a tasty-looking cake recipe. Gonna haveta try that sometime. As for the beer, it pours a slightly hazy copper-amber topped by around a finger or so of white foam. The nose -- whoofah! -- really made me recoil. Ask around, I was physically taken aback by the extreme chocolate and cherry smell. But it was all good, as though a bushel o' cherry cordials was liquefied and thrust into my gaping 'strils. Delicious. The taste doesn't quite measure up to the aroma's hype, bringing only some light black cherry, cocoa powder, and light maple syrup to bear. It's still tasty, just not as much as I'd hoped. The body is a somewhat hefty light, with a light carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, for what it is, this beer really delivers what it promises. My only knock against it is the lack of any substantial body, which hinders full enjoyment (but, luckily, not too much).

3.86/5  rDev +20.6%

Served in a wine glass

For some reason when I think chocolate in beer in any form my mind doesn't say that the beer will be copper colored, but here it is looking copper as ever. The smell however is wonderful, the aroma essentially consists of a black forest cake (cherry syrup & chocolate cake). The taste is much the same, but dialed down a little bit which is good. The mouth feels really watery like they just made a pale ale and put some black forest extract in the brew. It's drinkable, but in all honesty it's got a weird dry finish on the back end and if it weren't for the aroma I probably wouldn't come near this beer again.

3.62/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 11/28 poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a murky toffee/caramel color with a 1/4 inch of offwhite head that recedes quickly. Spotty lacing is left on the glass.

S: Nose is - like sniffing a cherry cordial. There's not much else to the nose.

T: Taste is ... surprise - cherry cordial. Cherry notes are some what light and it's more of a dark chocolate flavoring. Minor coffee notes but totally dark chocolate through the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat crisp at first, but a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, ok representation of style. This isn't a beer to sit with by any means, but would totally work as a desert beer.

4.82/5  rDev +50.6%

Color: pours hazy golden brown. sits hazy burnt orange

Smell: POWERFUL aroma of chocolate covered cherries. thats it. for many fruit beers youre nose would have to be wet to get the same potency of aroma you do with this beer a foot away

Taste: again, chocolate covered cherries through and through.

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: i think a lot of fruit beers mostly lack in flavor. this brew perfectly reflects what it was meant to be. i realize many people might not like it but it is what its supposed to be. terrific

3.88/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown and cloudy, one finger head that didn't last, some lacing but not a lot.

Smells terrific! Chocolate and cherry are most of the smell, like a brach's chocolate covered cherry. Just a touch of a root-beer like aroma rounds it out.

Tastes really nice. Milk chocolate and cherry flavors dominate almost completely, but it's pleasant. This is what I expected and it's what this beer delivers.

Mildly sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Mild carbonation. Pleasant aftertaste. A little thin but still enjoyable.

Easy drinking for a beer or two, but not exactly a session beer. Great for a holiday treat tho!

NOTE: really cold this beer is still friggin' good. Doesn't need to warm up that much to be at optimal temp.

4.29/5  rDev +34.1%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The balance between the chocolate and cherry is great and not too sweet. Not a beer you'd want to have more than one of, but a good one to mix in now and again.

Sampled during the Winter 2010 tasting, brought by Joel.

4.87/5  rDev +52.2%

One of my favorite beers of 2010! After a long tennis match or tough ride on the bike, this beer is refreshing! Tasting almost exactly like a Cherry Coke, it is VERY sweet and can be enjoyed. However, I can only drink 2-3 of these and then my stomach starts to feel it.. Awesome for a dessert beer as well.

3.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Very muddied hazy brown color. Creamish colored head. Thin coat of head remains throughout most of the time I could drink this beer. Smells exactly like a Cherry tootsie pop! Can't really smell anything other than that, or get past it. Tastes just like it smells. This is really good, as long as you are in the mood for liquid cherry tootsie pop. Slightly tarter than sweet on the finish. Really can't get past the tootsie popness. Drinks easy though, not that I would recommend drinking lots at a time...or more than once. Glad I can say I have had it though, decent all things considered...

3.32/5  rDev +3.7%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of beige head. I expected it to look like a porter or stout, but this beer is a murky brown color. It looks like apple cider. The aroma smacked me in the face as soon as I poured it. It smells like a chocolate covered cherry. The taste is just like it smells. The carbonation is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer. I would like this beer more if it was viscous as motor oil. It's good for dessert.

2.82/5  rDev -11.9%

A - pours a murky brownish without much head...not an appealing look

S - this smells like a liquid cherry tootsie pop. Tons of cherry syrup that is rounded off by a tootsie roll chocolate aroma. Very artificial nose.

T - when reading the label, this beer tastes exactly how its name implies - cherry and chocolate. Can't say this is bad, but it isn't the best tasting beer out there. Loads of tootsie roll chocolate and some cocoa flavors with a syrupy cherry flavor. It tastes similar to their chocolate by the barrel stout with cherry.

M - decent body with some sharp carbonation

D - not a bad beer, but pretty decent. It does everything its name promises to do. Unlike any other cherry stout / fruit beer I have tried. Not bad - it tastes like something I would get at the local malt shop.

3.06/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle served in Stella tulip.

A: Deep amber with some ruby red highlights. Off white head is small even after an aggressive pour and doesn't last very long.

S: Exactly like a cherry cordial. Low grade chocolate, maraschino cherry, and sugary liquid filling. It doesn't smell like beer, but its spot on for a chocolate covered cherry.

T: Mirrors smell. No real genuine malt flavor and certainly no hop presence worth mentioning. Vague chocolatey flavor and cherry liqueur. Mostly sweet, but not quite cloying. No real beer flavor.

M: Sharp carbonation. Thin feel.

D: Not very high. I expected the flavors to be too much, but I could actually have more than one of these in a sitting.

This is not a good beer, but I think it accomplishes its mission. The label says Cherry Chocolate Beer, and aside from the beer part that's what it is. I've given a pretty low rating, but I might grab a single of this here and there because sometimes being a beer nerd gets old and I need to cheat a little. Worth a shot if you're looking for a new guilty pleasure.

4.42/5  rDev +38.1%

Appearance: red/dark brown in color, with 1/2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: chocolate and cherries--like a cherry cordial

Taste: some milk chocolate with roasted malt and cherries...like a liquid cherry cordial.

Mouthfeel: light body, medium/high carbonation, very sweet.

Drinkability: Not sure if I taste beer here, but it is a guilty pleasure none the less. I can see how others may dislike this. It is a liquid cherry cordial and is perfect for dessert. I love the taste and wish I picked more up. A really good drink.

I picked this up at the Foremost Liquor store in Glendale Heights, IL for $1O.99 a six pack. No freshness date found, but I was curious about the brewery location on the label. The label says O'Fallon Brewery - Steven's Point, Wisconsin. Every O'Fallon beer that I've ever tried in the past came out of O'Fallon, Missouri. Oh well.

The beer poured a murky caramel brown color, almost like dirty river water. It produced only a half finger of off-white head that disappeared within seconds. Not a pretty looking beer at all. Surprisingly it did leave a few spots of lacing with each sip.

It smells like a cheap box of chocolate covered cherries. It has more of a cocoa powder chocolate smell instead of a nice rich chocolate aroma, but there is no doubt that this is a cherry chocolate beer. The aroma is huge.

Well, it says cherry chocolate beer and that's what you get. The problem is you get a powdered chocolate taste instead of a nice dark or milk chocolate flavor. Definite maraschino cherry flavor and perhaps some added malt for sweetness, but no trace of hops for balance at all.

This is surprisingly thin and watery for a chocolate beer, but the moderate to medium carbonation level seems to fit this style and is enough to make it somewhat refreshing.

Drinkability is OK if you don't mind Tootsie Roll flavored chocolate as opposed to a good Godiva or Fanny May chocolate taste.

Cherry Chocolate from O'Fallon Brewery