River Guide | Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

River GuideRiver Guide

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Massachusetts, United States
berkshirebrewingcompany.com

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

Availability: Fall

Formerly River Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

I love this brew around striper season on the Ct River. Mixes great for a Guiness Black and Tan. I landed a nice 33" Striper weighting in at 16lbs this season. It pours a dark cloudy red amberish hue, Thick and meaty brew. Strong malt flavor with a great sweetness. Brown sugar with some molasses smoky mapelish flavor. Has a nice hop mix in there with the malt trails. Mouth feel is very thick and full, big chewy full malty robust feel to it. Nice offering of a strong ale. I never try to let a brew so true to style get by my taste buds and this one says alot. This is a great beer! I enjoyed the other reviews and I have to say BBC makes great brews and the River Ale is one of them. Get some and keep it for a rainy day. True to style and great taste, Way to brew a winner in my book.

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

[Best served in a Dimpled mug]

Poured a cloudy medium brown with a large frothy off white head that was mostly diminishing and had excellent lacing.The aroma was heavy of roasted caramel malts, molasses with nice hints of an earthy yeast, toffee and raisons. It tasted sweetly smooth and mildly acidic in the beginning then progressed to a nice sweet malty flavor and had notes of caramel and dried fruit with the flavor lasting a nice while. Mouthfeel was medium in body and nice and creamy in texture with a nice mild carbonation. Overall a fantastic tasting Dark Wheat Ale, very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

BBC's River Ale is a strong robust beer that pours a hazy dark brown capped with a fairly thick white head. It is murky, like a river that's running low. It smells a bit like mollases with a distinct alcoholic twinge. There is a nice malty base supporting everything. The taste is interesting and complex. Loaded with brown sugar, molasses, alcohol, and finishing with a hoppy bitterness. Throughout, there is huge malty base that imparts a nice sweetness that never becomes cloying. It's a great tasting beer, the only fault is that the alcohol is too hot and harsh, especially for only 7%. The mouthfeel is nice and chewy and seems appropriately full. The drinkability is good. This is a nice beer to be sure, one that I'll definitely be revisiting.

I have 2 complaints about the packaging of this beer. First, the best buy before date was not notched. At 7% and bottle-conditioned, this probably isn't much of an issue. Still, it's frustrating to see the dates, but not a notch. Secondly, the label makes no mention of the strength or style of the beer. The picture of 2 guys rafting on a river made me buy it thinking it was a light, refreshing, maybe hoppy brew. I was a little disappointed when I opened it to find a 7% strong ale and not the refreshing brew I was expecting. This didn't affect my review of the beer itself, but I thought it was something I should mention.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

My buddy (Naugros on the website) brought a bottle back from his trip and shared it with me to knock this style off my list. After this review I only have two left (happoshu and kvass).

I drank this beer in a wheat glass. It was deep brown with about two fingers of head that retained really well. It left some decent lacing on the glass. You can see a lot of particulates in the lower third of the glass.

In the nose I get sour, some malt, and a venous presence. The flavor is consistent with the smell. I get a little bit more malt than in the nose. I also pick up more of the sour.

This beer is a little heavy for summer. I would recommend it for the cooler months.

River Guide from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.