Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager | Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager
Liked This Beer
3.95 w/ 381 ratings
Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Massachusetts, United States

Liked:
3.95/5
Alströms:

1.6/5  rDev -59.5%

An awesome and consistent fall favorite, my latest run in with this beer was very disappointing.

Bought a bottle from Table in Vine in west springfield in mass right after they recieived a shipment from the first fresh batch of the season. Left if in the fridge for a day before opening.

All diacetyl in the nose and nothing but butter and butterscotch flavor. Blows. I love this beer though clearly someone skipped the much needed diacetyl rest or it is an off bottle.

At least the sink loved it.

2.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Pours a nice beautiful amber with a full white head. Tastes malty and hoppy just like beers tend to taste, but this is not a good taste. Kinda a toasty fruit thing in there with the hops, but I can't really describe how this brew crashes. It is just BAD, straighht up. The worst Octoberfest beer (ale or lager) that I've ever tried. Stay away, far far away.

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours a medium-dark amber, large white head, mostly lasting, laces very nicely. Aroma is stron - lots of butterscotch, toffee and caramel, with just a bit of toasty malt in the back. Flavor is dominated with the butterscotch, almost like one of those butterscotch hard candys you sometimes get, or maybe werthers original (that was what my wife said it tasted like). Slick and smooth mouthfeel. Something doesn't seem right with this - it looks good, but aroma and taste seem to be off.

2.71/5  rDev -31.4%

First off I would like to say that I am a huge fan of BBC and I don't want to talk down about any of their products.
Four years ago this was one of my favorite American Octoberfest beers on the market. But playing with the recipe has put it on a slow decline the past few seasons. The beer has a beautiful dark lager appearance. The smell is mostly malts with a small hop profile. This beer is way to sweet. The sugars in the malts overpower the beer and when even drunk in moderation gives me a hangover. The mouthfeel is fantastic. Warm and chewy. I 100% support everything this local brewery does and this beer sells like crazy so they must be doing it right.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

2.8/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark amber with some copper and brown and a very large white head, that deposits some lace to the side of the glass.
Aroma has a really citrusy note with some diacteyl buttersctoch and bit of toffee throw and maybe some toasted bread.
Flavor is dominated by a sticky sweet citrus/OJ note which is just off. Combine this with some diacteyl and you have a union whihc just doesn't seem to work.
Mouthfeel was OK but the sweetness was just to cloying to be enjoyable.
Drinkability suffered greatly with the cloyishness. This one may have spent a little too much time in the cellar but man it was just hard to drink.

2.95/5  rDev -25.3%

Bottle at America on Tap
Slightly hazy deep golden color. Aromas of sweet bready malt and plenty of diacytyl. A bit too sweet and the butterscotch doesn't do this style any favors.

2.96/5  rDev -25.1%

I had the same problem as Jwaks (see below). The diacetyl is out of control for an Oktoberfest Lager. This tastes like a sweet Ringwood ale from Middle Ages or Shipyard. Still, behind that is a big dry toffee and cherry malt character that I really wish stood out more. This seems like a case of good beer gone bad.

UPDATE: This batch was recalled. Next time I get a bottle, I'll have to re-review.

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, brownish red in color, hazy, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt, faint spices, and grain

Taste: toasted malt, grain, some cinnamon

Mouthfeel: sweet with a tad bit of bitterness, high carbonation, light bodied

Drinkability: This to me is an average Octoberfest in every sense. I like the maltiness but am not sure if I would get this again. I like several of Berkshire's offerings a lot better.

Poured into pils glass.

Pours over 1 finger of creamy beige head. Fades to a thinner layer but decent retention. Not a lot of lace. Color is a copper brown.

Aroma: Sweet and malty. Biscuit flavors with some grassy hops. has an odd sweet scent to it in the background. A touch of skunk.

Taste: Must have been the skunk flavors in the nose I was picking up, because they are here as well. Very malty. Bready and biscuity. Grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and skunky. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry with hints of alcohol.

Overall, not an octoberfest I want to much of. The skunk flavors through it off a bit. Could be worse, could be better. Average drinkability.

3.03/5  rDev -23.3%

Hazy, fuzzy, dark orange coloration, slim fizziness above.
Herbal, vegetal nose, malty, some caramel tones showing, as well, though ultimately, it's on the mild side.
Big, juicy fruit blasts the tongue on first swallow, then softly slips away. Bit over-carbonated. Bold, sparkling, and a small bit sour. Very unusual mouthfeel. Nowhere near as smooth as we'd prefer. Bracing puckeration at first sip, then it fizzes against the tongue undcomfortably.
I had every hope in the world for this, but it's not a pleasant drinking experience, a regular chore to finish. It's like a Jolly Rancher dropped in a bottle of Mike's Hard Cranberry...or something like that. Needs more malt, less fizz...as I near the end of the bomber, I find that I'm not liking it any better, and I yearn for a more satisfying brew. Up the malt, tone down the carbonation, maybe a touch less alcohol, but if they do the first two, it won't be necessary...perhaps...perhaps then, it will be a better brew. Just my 2/5 of a nickel...

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Berkshire Oktoberfest

Bomber into nonic pint

Dark amber color with a finger of slightly off white head. Looks very inviting. Very little lacing.

Smells are a lot of malt and spice with some fruit tossed in. Seems sweeter than I was expecting.

Taste is much sweeter and dryer than I thought I’d get. Lots of fruit and spices. Apple, pear, sour cherry(?), caramel or something dark & sugary…quite a few things competing in here. It honestly reminds me of the profile on some Belgian ales I’ve had. It feels strange to make that comparison but this beer seems to be tracing the same line. There is a sourness/bitterness in here that counteracts the sweet note but it still comes off as cloying to me. The flavors even out somewhat with the beer getting warmer as I finish the first half of the bomber but I’m having a hard time getting past that initial impression.

Rather dry and tart on the tongue for me but have to say it goes down pretty easy. No trace of the alcohol save for maybe a touch of warming in the gut.

Unfortunately the flavor is just not to my liking. After one serving I really have very little desire to drink any more. This is the first Berkshire brew I’ve ever felt that way about. It would probably be worth looking for another Marzen to see if it’s more to do with the style that doesn’t click for me rather than just this one beer.

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Bottle. Pours a clear reddish amber color with very minimal head. Biscuity, malty aroma along pumpkin. Slightly sweet flavor mixed with some spices similiar to pumpkin. Some grass type flavors. Medium mouthfeel. Slightly bitter lingering flavor. Hmmm, not spectacular really but I guess drinkable. Not something I would search out for but also not something I would turn down either.

3.12/5  rDev -21%

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Only one thing prevents this beer from being a world class Oktoberfest, the hot alcohol. Very nice malty flavors that are reminiscent of the Ofests from Germany. Slightly toasty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through the sweet malt that was balanced perfectly with the hops. But the hot alcohol is out of place for this style - more in line with a bock or dopplebock if you ask me. Its more than warming, and is distracting from the all the great malt flavors - even makes it unbalanced . I try this every year and have the same complaint every year. Taking the gravity down a notch from a bock level would make this so much more drinkable I think.

3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

ive been just about worn out from octoberfest beers at this point but we'll give it a lackluster whirl. appearance is nice and clean with about as much head as expected on the initial pour. it smells nice and sweet, and if i hadnt been so worn out on the style id be attracted to it. i guess what it really has going for it is the orange label that screams OCTOBER and the stereotypical flavors i assosciate with it. yum, but im ready for spiced winter beers. i know this review blows but it is what it is.

3.21/5  rDev -18.7%

Draught @ CT River Brewfest: In my sample of Oktoberfests at this beer festival, this one was bringing up the rear. It wasn’t bad, just outclassed. It pours a brown color with a decent amount of an off-white head. There is a bit of a sweet, malty aroma. Not too much else coming through. The taste is slightly sweet, with some pumpkin spices. Decent, but non-descript.

Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Beer rating: 76.9% out of 100 with 381 ratings