Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager | Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by Jason on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 375
4.06/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22ozer bottle from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a dense 1 1/2" tan head above a dark copper ale. Laces excellently. Aroma is lightly of caramel malts and hops, but wish it was a bit more intense. Taste is malty, with minimal hops presence, and a small kick of alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is excellent. Seems they've satisfied both worlds here, a flavorful beer which lends itself to the Oktoberfest sessions. Search it out and decide yourself.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

UPDATE Sept. 11, 2007...Just wanted to review this years batch because this one has topped my exceptions for Bershire Oktoberfest. Its just a delicious batch, right up there again
and surpassing Gritty's Halloween Ale and Sam Addams and
riding on top with Magic Hat's Jinx as my favorite so far this
year. It must be something pouring it on tap. Creamier, less
alcohol in your face but its there just the same. It has put FLAVOR right at the top and this lager is SO FRESH, I can't say enough
about this one, I could just drink em', good to find something
this tastey, but I'm still samplin'. Half way down the second glass and still a nice creamy head (caramel, toffee, malty, lightly
hopped, but it does have a slight kick in the back end) This is one of my best finds this year,(2007) especially for an Oktoberfest lager. Nice dark amber orange color nice creamy head disapears
slowly as you drink. Its hard to say anything bad about this
batch of delicious lager.
The caramel toasty malty feel is there but there is so many things going on in this mix? Its has a dryness back there, almost like
some ESB(Gritty's Halloween Ale) for example but it doesn't
put you off, its different from all the autumn beers I've sampled
so far. I like it allot and like Jinx from Magic Hat and the Gritty
McDuffy's Halloween Ale, Gearys...but Bershire has a magical mix of flavors that
is not so easily idenified but with the beer warming abit, you
can start picking out the flavors. This one is a special batch for
sure and I will get more. If you drink the 1pt. 6oz bottle you won't
forget it. Love these home brews, nice and fresh! You can start
to feel the change of the seasons with this great Massachusetts Oktoberfest lager.

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Copper/honey-colored with a thick and foamy off-white head that rises up high and sticks around for half the glass. Faint doughey aroma, a little sweet. Flavor is accosted by the alcohol. ABV is way too high for this style in my opinion. Flavor is malty, some fruit and caramel, but also a burnt marshmallow undercurrent. There are probably some interesting flavor nuances trying to get out.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

I'm very enthusiastic about my first tasting of this seasonal product. Great label design which sets the stage for a fall treat. The color is darker than some Octoberfests I've enjoyed - sort of a dark amber offset with a lingering white head. Very enticing. Nothing of note about the smell. The taste is quite complex and hard to describe - definitely more body to the product and no unpleasant aftertaste. On finishing the 22 oz. bottle, I was anxious for more but I'm afraid that it will have to await my next trip to MA as Berkshire's products are unfortunately not distributed in my home state of NH. This is now one of my favorite Berkshire products and next time I'll purchase more than one

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours clear amber/copper with a thick creamy head that rapidly receded leaving thick lacing. Slightly sweet malt, floral, fruity scent that does not prepare you for the first sip. First sip carmel, malt then strong alcohol with a long bitter finish. The alcohol is really quite pronounced at first but receded as my palate became accustomed to seeking out the other flavors. buttery/toffee?Not like any Marzen I have ever tasted. Did I mention the alcohol. Still a great beer. I will seek more out in VT next week.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

BBC is such a solid company, and I was not dissapointed in the least with this seasonal brewage (Fall 2004 batch). First of all, I like the nice orange label, gets me in the fall mood. Appears a deep amber color, very inviting. Not much head on this one, which seems to differ from the other reviews I browsed, but whatever. Smells a little sweet and nutty, malty, maybe a bit fruity. Tastes great! Tastes pretty consistent with the smells, nutty and a tad sweet, nothing over the top, a very well-balanced beer. I'm very pumped about this beer right now, I'll be getting more than my share until the Cabin Fever winter brew comes out. Feels good going down the pipes, I could drink this beer anytime. Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

This was an amber lager with a large head, but it dissipated quickly and rather loudly.

The aroma was of rich malts, with some deep fruitiness and a small amount of sweetness.

The taste was malty, not bitter, somewhat smooth, but a little grainy. There were hints of hops and the alcohol was noticeable. It was a little too prominent for my tastes... I like it a little bit more subdued.

Not my favorite beer from this brewery.

3.91/5  rDev -1%

Great appearance with a huge off-white head leaving rings of lace as it settled.Color is an auburn to gold hue.More carbonation than I'm used to with Berkshires beers.Bubbling carbonation up from the bottom.Strange aroma for an Octoberfest.Has a strong fruit aroma of cherries,caramel.and malt.The taste is very dry and malty with a strong alcohol bite on the finish.A touch bit watery.Bitter dry hoppiness.Full-bodied with enough kick to warm you up.The dryness would get to me quick with more than one or two of these.Exceptional lacing and appearance.Very cloudy with sediment left in the bottle.Great for a chilly Autumn day.

2.54/5  rDev -35.7%

Pours a medium-dark amber, large white head, mostly lasting, laces very nicely. Aroma is stron - lots of butterscotch, toffee and caramel, with just a bit of toasty malt in the back. Flavor is dominated with the butterscotch, almost like one of those butterscotch hard candys you sometimes get, or maybe werthers original (that was what my wife said it tasted like). Slick and smooth mouthfeel. Something doesn't seem right with this - it looks good, but aroma and taste seem to be off.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

22 oz. bottle, freshness date notched December (2003, I assume!). Darkish amber, an offwhite head that hangs around for a bit. Malty sweet aroma - sweet tea, bread, caramel. Mmmm...

This beer has just been banned from Octoberfest competition for steroid use. But, as commissioner, I hereby rescind the ban. One big malty brew - plenty of caramel, toasty-bready malt notes, some butteriness in the background, and a very well controlled warming surge o' in the finish. Faint Hallertau hops way in the background as well as a subtle underlying bitterness. Very round, full mouthfeel. It's 22 ounces, and the bottle's too small. Really a fine, fine effort, a bit big for the style but I don't find that to be a problem at all.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a deep hazy orange amber with a big and beautiful, fluffy off-white head. Aroma is slightly hoppy but a strong malt background, smells really delicious. Taste is sweet and tart (cherries maybe), with a little bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth and clean, a little buttery...the head trails lightly as I drink this one down. It returns as I swirl it in the glass.

As this warms, the alcohol starts to be apparent, i didn't really believe this was 7% until now, as it's strength is well hidden.

Drinkability is through the roof, a real thirst quencher. Really a perfect 'after a hard day's work' beer. And one for the turning of summer into fall (tomorrow).
I'm enjoying this quite a bit, wish had bought more than the one 22oz....BBC does it again.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Crestview CC in Agawam Mass. very soon after tapping and boy was it fresh tasting! I wish I did know the ABV because as Jason says it is bigger than most Octoberfests; had a few one afternoon a couple weeks ago and it really hit me hard when I got home...that hasn't happened since they had the BBC Maibock on tap there in the spring!

Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.