Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager | Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by Jason on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 201 | Ratings: 367
3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

This one is actually has some alchohol and body cajones. Pretty dark orange hue. Nice and syrupy, kinda like mixing a maibock and a doublebock in color and weight. Stands up well to kielbasa, mustard, and kraut. Its different from other Octoberfests and certainly not a classic example but I like this subgenre.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a large and lasting head, very good retention. Color a brilliant amber/orange. There's a very slight chill haze. Aroma - malty! Some toasted and biscuity notes. No hop aroma detected. Overall malty and clean, though after a sip or two I detect just a hint of sulfur. Flavor is very smooth and malty, almost bready, with a bit of toast. Very full and round taste. Little bitterness and barely a hint of hop flavor. Overall this is satisfying, but not particularly interesting. Body is full and rich, almost chewy, but high CO2 makes it clean.

Overall quite good, and certainly very drinkable. But not really much out of the ordinary. Pick it up if you see it, but don't go out of your way.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

toasted malt sweetness on the front, pretty dry on the back like most Oktoberfest beers. more bitter than spicy unlike most Oktoberfests. Got it in Pittsfield, MA, but not sure where exactly. Ate it with some chili Lindt dark chocolate, which was a pretty good combination

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer starts out with a nice dark reddish brown appearance. Atop this fine looking liquid sits a creamy white head.

There are alcohol notes detected between the nice sweet fresh bread aromas rising from the glass.

Taste is a mix of vanilla, walnuts and alcohol notes as the beer washes across the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy as the beer slides down the throat.

This is a sipping O-fest that has a lot to offer. Great for drinking outside as you grill during the cool autumn weather.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

I picked this up in Ridgefield,CT at anconas, they get it fresh from the brewer himself.

A-dark orange-copper, with nice head.

S-smells of apricots, I cant really smell anything else.

T-Very pleasant. very pronounced malt.

M-full bodied, very good.

D-very smooth, I could handle a couple of these in a sitting (2-4 hours)

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%

First off I would like to say that I am a huge fan of BBC and I don't want to talk down about any of their products.
Four years ago this was one of my favorite American Octoberfest beers on the market. But playing with the recipe has put it on a slow decline the past few seasons. The beer has a beautiful dark lager appearance. The smell is mostly malts with a small hop profile. This beer is way to sweet. The sugars in the malts overpower the beer and when even drunk in moderation gives me a hangover. The mouthfeel is fantastic. Warm and chewy. I 100% support everything this local brewery does and this beer sells like crazy so they must be doing it right.

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Crestview CC in Agawam Mass. very soon after tapping and boy was it fresh tasting! I wish I did know the ABV because as Jason says it is bigger than most Octoberfests; had a few one afternoon a couple weeks ago and it really hit me hard when I got home...that hasn't happened since they had the BBC Maibock on tap there in the spring!

3.9/5  rDev -1%

BBC Oktoberfest Lager pours a rusty, copper color with an off-white, almost tan head. As the beer settles the head dissipated quickly. The beer is very clear as expected, with only carbonation bubbles from the bottom obstructing my view of the other side of the glass.

The smell, while not overpowering, gives off rich malt notes. Caramel and brown sugar being the biggest contributors. There is also a doughy quality to the smell.

The taste mimics the smell with caramel and brown sugar notes. It is a very sweet taste and very rich. The doughy quality in the nose is present in the taste as well. The taste also expands further than the nose as there is a nutty quality and a little spice that work nicely with the other flavors. There is also a little bitterness on the back end that gives this beer a little balance.

The mouthfeel is where I think the beer really separates itself from other Oktoberfests I have had. The malt profile of this beer gives it a medium body which is more on the fuller side of medium than most beers I have had from the style. The carbonation is just right in this beer as it adds to the flavors of the beer nicely.

Berkshire Brewing Co. Oktoberfest, while not the most traditional example of the style, is just a lot more bold than other Oktoberfest beers. It is my favorite Oktoberfest and I plan on enjoying this all season.

4.57/5  rDev +16%

Doing business in the Northern MA area introduced me to this wonderful beer. I had it on tap from a hotel I was staying at, no more than 10 miles away from the Berkshire Brewery. At first I had no idea I was drinking a BB product, I actually thought the bartender poured me a Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Upon tasting it I was astonished by its well rounded malty and sweet characteristics. In my opinion, it struct the perfect balance between the toasty/caramel flavors brought about by it's malted barley, while being just sweet enough to evoke the experience of its intended purpose, namely, the freshness of the fall.

In terms of drinkability; it was certainly an incredibly enjoyable experience, but it would certainly be difficult to drink more than two or three, that is, without feeling like you ate six slices of pumpkin pie (or any other typical fall pastry).

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Great beer fresh easy to drink octoberfest. Look forward to it every year. Poured my first one of the year and just as good as last year. The people at berkshire really take pride in there brewing process and it shows with every great beer. I would take this over than almost any other German Octoberfest. Nothing like kicking back on a cool night pouring one these into a pint glass and watching football. GREAT BREW!

FY10 22oz bomber. Wow! This is one beer you need to seek out - immediately! I've been anticipating the release of Berkshire's O'fest for months as it is one of my absolute favorites and this years version is over the top. A humongous taste of carmel toffee malty sweet deliciousness. Of all the beers I've tasted this year I would have to say this is one of my top 5.

Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.