Cabin Fever Ale | Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Cabin Fever AleCabin Fever Ale

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.
Massachusetts, United States
berkshirebrewingcompany.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by kelticblood on 12-30-2002

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

2.29/5  rDev -40.2%

22 ounce bottle, poured into pint glass. Label has a dating system stating "FOR BREWERY-FRESH TASTE, PURCHASE BEFORE MONTH NOTCHED." Unfortunately, no month is notched...

Pours with a dense, somewhat rocky tan head that sticks around for quite a while. Medium to deep copper red.

Aroma is slightly sweet grain, but muted.

Taste is buttery, sweet, with a slightly citrusy hop bite, and lots of butter. Wow, buttered popcorn style butter. Presumably this is way overstated diacetyl. Ugh. Present both in the body and in the finish. More malt flavors as it warms to room temp, but the butter is still easily detected. Finish includes plums as it warms.

Mouth is slick, almost to the point of syrupy. Pretty unpleasant, in the way it coats your mouth with butter.

Really a disappointment, since I've liked every other beer I've had from Berkshire. I'll buy it again, at least once, to find out if I just got a bottle from a flawed batch -- I sure hope so.

2.48/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 Oz Bottle into my Chimay Tumbler
A- not much head, almost flat - brown/bronze, a little hazy
S- spices, almost a meaty smell, hints of tomato juice?
T- spicy, pepper, cloves? a little musty
M- round, thick, a little chrunchy
O- not my cup of tea - I'm not a big fan of spiced beers, so I will not hold that against it, but the taste is kind of weird. I swear it smells like a bloody mary. Would like more maltiness perhaps.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

Very subtle flavor. Nothing special

2.84/5  rDev -25.8%

Not sure what to make of this beer. The nose reminds me of my parents' old compost pile that I had to turn over and I just came upon a bunch of old grass clippings. Poured a thick mahagony in color with a slight thin and creamy head. Flavor is havey on the malts and has a creamy taste going on. Slight hop towards the back end. The spices are very much so present but it is as if I am tasting them through cheese cloth. They are fairly muted. Full body and creamy mouthfeel. The spice kind of hand out around my teeth.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Honestly, I really dont know what to make of this ale. There was nothing really negative about it yet I have a hard time coming up with some positives.

The pour, the smell, the mouthful were ok, but what I did not like was the aftertaste. I always like a beer (or wine) that starts off and finishes the same way. To me, the drink ability was
not what I would hope for

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

22 oz. bomber with no style stated on the label.

This has a mulit-hued effect with a base color of light brown with amber and red hues. The head is about 1" high, tan colored, quick to dissipate, not exactly as heady looking as I would hope to get me through this kind of winter.

The nose is mostly fruity, with the majority being pineapple. slight Cedar wood smoke, sweet malt, deep red fruits, strawberry, watermellon and mostly pineapple. The malt smells a bit thin, dominated by fruits.

This has a rather thin, water malt body, certainly not complex and malty enough for a winter Warmer, or any other winter season brew. The malt is quickly taked over by the bland, pineapple flavored hops with some slight starfruit in the back ground. a dry, crisp middle body seems to fade fast with a woody, pencil shavings edge that seems really strange. The flavor's simply don't work toagether at all.

A beer made for winter? "cabin fever"...seems like it should be a decent malt bomb with a warming effect, I can't even detect any alcohol in the flavor, not bite, no warming. Oh well.

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Another new one for me, we brought a bunch over to the fourth of July cookout. Served cold and poured
into a nice tasting glass, this one was consumed on 07/04/2010.

Was not really sure what to make of this one as the light caramel color came out of the bottle and
into the glass. Very thin looking without much of a head to speak of at all.

Aroma is caramel, bitter hops, a touch of some off malts. Not really getting the warm and fuzzy from
this one right now. As it comes up to temperature it leaves hints of bready tones, brown sugar,
touches of light candied notes and a burnt coffee finish. Not really sure where that one came from.

Overall I will pass. It was not terrible by any means, just not what I had in mind.

3.04/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance- Deep Rich brown inviting beer.
Although little to virtually Non existent head, this beer is begging to be consumed.

Smell- Lackluster, some malt , even less hope. This is a true sign of a good beer, one that is simple in some aspects yet complex on other levels.

Taste-malty, sweet, some tobacco, almost lager like

Mouthfeel- light in body, somewhat lame mouthfeel. Something is missing.

Drinkability- I'm not totally impressed with this beer. It's good but, just doesn't tap my malt receptors. Enjoy a bottle soon before it goes away.

Not really a session beer, or a sipping beer. This beer does enjoy being consumed, can't figure out exactly why, but it is.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

22-ounce bottle courtesy of HikerCT. Served in a Mikasa tulip.

Pours a bright light brown color with a single-finger off-white head that has some spotty lacing. The nose carries a bit of light caramel and some bread, not too much else. The flavor is equally bland. Some bread. Maybe bread crust, too. Yay! Not much in the way of spicing, so at least it's not overspiced. Medium body and quite chewy. Blah.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

A solid Winter Warmer Ale.

3.2/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Pours a nice dark shade of amber with good clarity. Head is an off white color with good lace. The head fizzed out too quickly for my liking.

Ok I wasn't sure what type of beer this was until I looked it up on my phone. It's supposed to be a winter warmer, but you can tell from the nose it isn't spiced at all. It's got a hoppy nose that is slightly citric and fruity in character. There is also a nice toasty malt backound to the nose that has suprising strength.

The taste was suprising at first, and still suprises me. It tastes like a light bodied amber ale that favors malt flavor to hops, despite the nose. It has a lightly toasted, carmelly flavor. Hops add a slightly fruity twang to the finish. You would expect this beer to be full bodied in flavor because of the season, but it's suprisingly light. It's not just light for a winter beer, it's just light. It's thin and lifeless. The body of this beer does not match with the flavors at all. The carbonation thins it out even more.

It's easy to drink, and it doesn't feel like a high ABV beer, but I wouldn't order another. It's too lifeless and boring because of the over attenuation. It has some good qualities but fails to come together.

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

A: slight haze; deep bronze in color; 1 finger khaki head that receded to a thin cap; very nice lacing;

S: sweet malt; there's a tang to this that I wasn't expecting;

T: follows the nose - sweet malt with a little tang; virtually no bitterness; a little nutmeg in the aftertaste;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: can't get past the tang in the flavor;

Cabin Fever Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.